PDA

View Full Version : Route 66

carrickharp
26/05/2008, 1:39 PM
I'm planning to drive this later in the summer starting in LA (most online guides are Chicago-LA), anyone on here done this? If so any advice, sites, etc? Cheers. I was planning to drive across the US but think this will do!

HarpoJoyce
26/05/2008, 2:03 PM
Is this route still available or mostly complete? I ask because I have never heard anyone do it in the last few decades. Made famous in the fifties by Kerouac but not alot of news about it in more recent times.

I have heard the California coast (John Kelly of RTE travel programme among others) and the Chicago - New Orleans route far more regularly.

noby
26/05/2008, 2:09 PM
There are segments still usable, but you'll be on newer roads a lot of the time. A friends father did (part of) it as part of a motorcycle group a few years ago.

strangeirish
26/05/2008, 3:38 PM
A little bit about it from RTE's No Frontiers. (http://www.rte.ie/travel/nofrontiers/av_20070821.html)
Hope this helps. Click on the Arizona clip.

theworm2345
26/05/2008, 4:04 PM
I believe Lake Shore Drive here in Chicago starts it off. However, Route 66 is not really in use anymore and I believe is crumbling in many places.

carrickharp
26/05/2008, 6:45 PM
Yeah I'm aware that only about 70-80% of the old route is drivable just looking for info for attractions along the way, going to go to the Grand Canyon and Vegas,.

HarpoJoyce
28/05/2008, 8:15 AM
Are any of the major National Parks of Yellowstone, Grand Canyon or Bryce Canyon near the route?

Good luck with the trip carrick.

pete
28/05/2008, 10:39 AM
Are any of the major National Parks of Yellowstone, Grand Canyon or Bryce Canyon near the route?

I think a lot of the old route is now converted to Inter-State.

Kingsman in Arizona is on the route & is a few hours away from the Grand Canyon (well worth a visit). On my limited experience in Kingsman made a big effort to associate itself with route 66 in what is basically a one horse town.

theworm2345
06/06/2008, 5:19 PM
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=resources/traffic&id=6187804

They showed this on the news this morning, I never watch the news but they showed a promo for the news last night and I saw this, a bit of fortune I guess :). It seems like it may just cover the Illinois part of it unfortunately for you

carrickharp
24/07/2008, 11:16 AM
Hi folks, we have the trip planned out now, not going to drive from LA to Vegas as it seems like a boreing trip so got a cheep flight and it's just over an hour so more time in Vegas!! I will drive from Vegas via The Grand Caynon down to Albuquerque and try and drive as much of 66 as I can, heading on the 6th can't wait to get away from the rain!!! Cheers for the tips!

sligoman
04/12/2008, 9:19 PM
How did this trip go for ya carrick? How long did it take?

I'd love to do this sometime.

paul_oshea
16/12/2008, 9:25 AM
something weird happening on this thread....

carrickharp
20/04/2009, 12:05 PM
How did this trip go for ya carrick? How long did it take?

I'd love to do this sometime.

It went great, hired a convertible for the trip, instead of driving from LA to Vegas we got a flight from LA to Vegas instead which was quite cheap. We also took a trip to the Grand Canyon as it is only a few hours away, I would recommend the Route 66 trip as it was a great experience and I hope to do it again in a few years and I’m going to drive the entire route next time.