PDA

View Full Version : Cobh

Con-Con
25/05/2008, 4:57 PM
I think we can win, 2-0 united

Terry
25/05/2008, 5:41 PM
I think it will be tough hard hitting match, would be happy with a 1-0 but if we can play the way we have been playing as of late we should score more than that and hopefully keep the clean sheet to boot.

eamo1
25/05/2008, 9:14 PM
A few weeks ago this would have had a draw written all over it but i really think now we can win this one,ill go 2-0 but id be ok with us winning by the odd goal too.
Im really looking forward to it too,should be good.

Maroon 7
26/05/2008, 1:19 AM
Would be bitterly dissapointed with a draw at this stage. Our form has really picked up and anything other than a win would be a real let down.

That said Cobh are battling for their lives and won't make it easy.

bellavistaman
26/05/2008, 2:56 AM
Would be bitterly dissapointed with a draw at this stage. Our form has really picked up and anything other than a win would be a real let down.

That said Cobh are battling for their lives and won't make it easy.

eh, we're not the only battling for their lives you know:D

Big game hope we win but at this stage balls in your court, but im confiedent well win.

See ye tomorrow hopefully!!

Hope ye lose

Claret Murph
26/05/2008, 6:44 AM
I will go with 2-1 to United as after Friday I think we just may be on the up , well at least off the bottom anyway .

luka
26/05/2008, 6:59 AM
Ramblers 2-0

Claret Murph
26/05/2008, 1:04 PM
Ramblers 2-0

Luka do you know the rules of cricket ?????????:)

corbyeire
26/05/2008, 3:35 PM
we were v unlucky not to get a point in dalymount - our form is much better now - we have to win this at home and i think if we continue the way we have the last 4-5 matches we will win this one!

theworm2345
26/05/2008, 7:59 PM
Cobh is up 1-0. This is a much needed 3 points if Galway can turn it around...I say maybe a late equaliser with a header from Big Wes

Maroon 7
26/05/2008, 9:15 PM
Shocking result undoing much of the good work of recent weeks. It's one thing to lose to teams in the top half of the table but losing at home to teams at the bottom of the table with you is pure relegation form. We've had Harps and Cobh at home recently and taken just one point from them (granted we should have beaten Harps but didn't). Our woeful home form continues. If only we could play all our games away from Terryland as the team seems to play far better away from home.

Back to square one again.

Tribalhooie
26/05/2008, 9:20 PM
We are now really staring relegation in the face. An absolutely brutal performance by all. Am not looking forward to Pats on friday nite.

DonO'Bate
26/05/2008, 9:37 PM
Disastrous result, shocking performance. Zero points out of Six after two games of the second series were going backwards not forwards. We just have to get somekind of a result on Friday night at home to St. Pats.

gilberto_eire
26/05/2008, 9:44 PM
The vast majority of those players are'nt up to playing football at a decent level.

At a push i'd keep Russell, Glynn, Wes and Fitzy with all bar Russell been on the bench!

Our wing-backs consitently hit long balls up to two strikers who are basically rubbish in the air, at the same time i'll offer them a small little bit of lee-way in the Russell and Deegan basically never came to give them the option of a short-pass, which is text-book stuff for a CM to do!. From our midfielders and strikers i'd say the only one who is'nt abysmal in the air is DOB(he's no more the adverage either), this all goes back to TC who decided to fill his squad with lads who can't win anything in the air.
They did'nt do one thing out there tonight, could'nt even create any meaningful chances against a team with the same points as us and losses in every game on the road. Sorry to say it but tonight was it, we're gone now IMO.

Will the board stand up and take a round of applause for leaving a such a liability at the helm for so long, we were meant to challenge for top 6 and he was buying players from a mid-table 1st division club, i put 100% blame at the boards feet, it was'nt TC's fault either he taught he knew what he was doing they were intrustted with the power to keep the clubs well beign and they did'nt do it IMO.

FAO: Jeff

Ban the lads from going out until they at least put in performances of a level that's not embarrasing!. You can be sure most of them will put the effort in then, did'nt see any passion in ONE of them tonight, a few quiet nights in might change that!

Start blooding some of the young lads into the team, the ''senior'' players are only sending us back to the 1st divison, the young lads will play with pride and passion and maybe even do a decent job in there too!!,

WoodquayBoy
26/05/2008, 9:53 PM
That display was a thundering disgrace. Cobh should have won by more, by far the better team. Disgraceful

pixiehead
26/05/2008, 10:50 PM
One Word........................Finished

eamo1
26/05/2008, 11:06 PM
I said the exact same thing to my friend that someone is aftersaying here,i wish we could play all our games away from home.The lads just get all nervous and lax when they play at home,thats putting it mildly btw.
That game tonight is up there with a game vrs Athlone the year before last and the Shamrock rovers game earlier in the season for the sheer poorness on display.
QS:WHY WAS THIS GAME PLAYED TONIGHT?Why not tomorrow(i do know cobh played friday night too btw so no need to point it out)

Curler
27/05/2008, 8:59 AM
any idea of the crowd?

gufct
27/05/2008, 9:07 AM
700 max

Tribesman
27/05/2008, 9:11 AM
Shocking performance. No passion, no pride, no urgency. Would release the entire squad at the end of the season bar Rogers, Glynn, A. Keane, Deegan.

Full time setup has backfired big time with this squad. It appears to make these players worse.

Don't know what Jeff can. He has inherited a bunch of second rate players that would struggle in the First Division. We are the Derby County of the eircom League.

corbyeire
27/05/2008, 9:42 AM
missed the game last night - but heard from plenty of other how the crowd was so frustrated and how it gets to the players on the pitch

question is why does the home crowd effect them so much - it was the same last season - they know the craic now - the crowd will be on your back from the off so just ignore them - its no surprise any more!

as has been said above - they play much better away from home - same all last season aswell

looping
27/05/2008, 9:55 AM
anybody has a summary ofthe game??

any better news coming from the transfert windows??

GuisaSaigon
27/05/2008, 10:19 AM
anybody has a summary ofthe game??

Merde would be how I would summarize it Looping! probably the worst performance I have ever seen from a Galway United team. The "players" should do the honourable thing and resign instead of having the nerve to pick up their paychecks. :mad:

ShamTalk
27/05/2008, 11:16 AM
A couple of observations on last night.......

Did not think the crowd were too hard on the players. From what I heard last night, there was frustration rather then venom aired. All present have a common wish for Galway United to succeed.
When Regi signed last season he played really well as sweeper where his pace was vital. He has since moved to right full (in my opinion, to accommodate John Lester and Wes) and we are left with Wes & Fitzy in the centre with no pace and poor reaction skills. The goal tonight looked like slow motion.
While Leech and Glynn tried hard to battle for hoof balls that were thrown at them, the defenders have the advantage in facing the balls. However, if Deegan and Russell are not in a positon to challenge for the second-ball and Cobh midfielders clean up all breaking balls then Galway are at nothing.
Glynn's greatest asset is his speed and United cannot play a brand of football to suit him. I feel sorry for him dealing with hoof-football.

Reading the above posts of other contributors, the saying "you cannot make a silk purse........." springs to mind. I think that the players at the disposal of Jeff Kenna are simply not good enough. Whatever about ability, I personally would not fault the players effort last night.

It's not looking good.

MyTown
27/05/2008, 11:35 AM
A couple of observations on last night.......

Did not think the crowd were too hard on the players. From what I heard last night, there was frustration rather then venom aired. All present have a common wish for Galway United to succeed.
When Regi signed last season he played really well as sweeper where his pace was vital. He has since moved to right full (in my opinion, to accommodate John Lester and Wes) and we are left with Wes & Fitzy in the centre with no pace and poor reaction skills. The goal tonight looked like slow motion.
While Leech and Glynn tried hard to battle for hoof balls that were thrown at them, the defenders have the advantage in facing the balls. However, if Deegan and Russell are not in a positon to challenge for the second-ball and Cobh midfielders clean up all breaking balls then Galway are at nothing.
Glynn's greatest asset is his speed and United cannot play a brand of football to suit him. I feel sorry for him dealing with hoof-football.

Whatever about ability, I personally would not fault the players effort last night.

Agree with all of this ShamTalk. I think it's a fair assessment. The Cobh lads played as if they were in the last chance saloon followng their home reverse to Haprs. The tall lads at the back #21 & #4 were in total control. We aare having no luck at all IMO and Terryland just does not have a welcome for a home side in the Prem:(. I seriously think we should consider a move back to Glenina if what now seems invitable comes to pass.

Things look very bleak, but I'll still be behind the lads on Friday night

Terry-Lander
27/05/2008, 11:44 AM
I agree with most of what Shamtalk and My town say about last night and the team. I don't think, however, that we should look to a bit of luck to turn things around. At this level we should be creating our own 'luck'. Depending on a bit of luck is for those struggling in the first division.......and we look like having plenty of time for that next season. I don't know if i've finally gotten pessimistic or if reality is setting in but it doesn't look good and if anyone says we 'showed character' i'll scream.

Here's hoping (as opposed to hoofing) for a committed, passionate and proud display on Friday.

eamo1
27/05/2008, 1:33 PM
I think more of the crowd last night were going mad at the ref and linesman then the players,i know i was anyway.I went ape at that incident where the lino on the far side had his flag up for a free to us and the ref plays on and a few seconds later gives cobh a dodgy looking one and ignored his linesman flag,brutal.If we werent so bad last night i would have nearly blamed the ref but that wasnt why we lost last night.
I heard someone next to me shout something to Jay o shea about him not trying and Jay looked up into the stand and muttered something to himself,it is affecting them but they are professionals so ive not much sympathy.
Btw,i personally wouldnt keep Rodgers,yes hes good in the air but his kick-outs are a major liability.

WoodquayBoy
27/05/2008, 2:14 PM
Btw,i personally wouldnt keep Rodgers,yes hes good in the air but his kick-outs are a major liability.
Don't even think he is good in the air. We need a 'keeper who will command his penalty area. Rogers doesn't do that. Time to give Banana a run and see is he any better

bellavistaman
27/05/2008, 2:16 PM
Ye can take fennelly

gilberto_eire
27/05/2008, 2:29 PM
Don't even think he is good in the air. We need a 'keeper who will command his penalty area. Rogers doesn't do that. Time to give Banana a run and see is he any better

All this talk of playing bannana is about as stupid as it gets IMO, i respect everyones views on the players as much as i would if Jeff was talking about them. But this is'nt the first time it's been floated, the man came from the giants of Monaghan United and a lot want to see him in goal, we've been told by fans of previous clubs he's a first division player and not good enough for this level, we're in enough bother as it is, no point making it worse putting in the worst goalie in the premier on top of that!.

If we do go down i'd be looking to get in Ger Hanley who'll be nearly 18 by then, if he's good enough for Ireland U-17's he should be good enough for us, plus he's a fan too so should have a desire to play for us!. There's plenty of good young players around the town and we should start picking them up before English teams do, i'd rather pay a commited hungry 17 yr old to sit on the bench until he's ready then most of the crap that's there now!!

WoodquayBoy
27/05/2008, 2:43 PM
I bow to your greater suggestion Gilberto, give young lads like Hanley a chance

gufct
27/05/2008, 3:05 PM
I bow to your greater suggestion Gilberto, give young lads like Hanley a chance

Ger will be long gone once he has his leaving done.

looping
27/05/2008, 3:19 PM
All this talk of playing bannana is about as stupid as it gets IMO, i respect everyones views on the players as much as i would if Jeff was talking about them. But this is'nt the first time it's been floated, the man came from the giants of Monaghan United and a lot want to see him in goal, we've been told by fans of previous clubs he's a first division player and not good enough for this level, we're in enough bother as it is, no point making it worse putting in the worst goalie in the premier on top of that!.

If we do go down i'd be looking to get in Ger Hanley who'll be nearly 18 by then, if he's good enough for Ireland U-17's he should be good enough for us, plus he's a fan too so should have a desire to play for us!. There's plenty of good young players around the town and we should start picking them up before English teams do, i'd rather pay a commited hungry 17 yr old to sit on the bench until he's ready then most of the crap that's there now!!

in theorie ok but how u expect to get rid of the players u need to pay them anyway??

gufct
27/05/2008, 3:34 PM
Exactly looping and there isnt any money there to pay off their contracts. Jeff will only be able to bring players in if he can get other clubs to take the players he has off his hands. There is a lot of talk on here about the young players but im afraid now isnt the time to be blooding them.

gilberto_eire
27/05/2008, 3:43 PM
in theorie ok but how u expect to get rid of the players u need to pay them anyway??

Because they'll be out of contract at the end of the season and i was referring to next season
I'd rather give thriving young players a contract and chances then the likes of Foley and Rouse who's ability and level has been found years ago!!

GUFCT why is'nt it the time to be blooding the likes of Sinnot and Molloy?.... Can you honestly show me any examples of potential our senior players have shown us?. They have accumalted 6 points from twice as many games, i think it's time to take what i would regard all things considered as a MINOR risk, you can't do much worse then what went on last night and while i was never one for the whole ''Junior/Local players round town'' argument but a selection of the best players round town would have beaten the lads last night, it was that poor. It's far from the first time this year we've played like this, i've lost count of the amount of times i've said ''this is the worst performance i've ever seen'' and i think a few of the section c lad's will agree cause i heard it at countless other games aswell. I can't remember any of the younger lads even having a bad game when they got there chance and we're talking about the debuts, imagine what they could do with a bit of experience?

gufct
27/05/2008, 4:01 PM
if we keep going the way we are there wont be a next season gilberto and the sooner the players realise this the better.

ShamTalk
27/05/2008, 4:06 PM
It is interesting to read the various contributors inputs in regard to giving (local) youth its chance. As I see it there are a number of issues here:

Do we expect Jeff Kenna to accept that relegation is inevitable and start using the youth now to "blood them" for Division One football next season?
Which current youth players, given consistent playing time, would add value to the team at the moment? Sinnott or Molloy?
If we end up playing in Division One next season, then can the club afford to blood young players again where the expectation would be for the club to bounce back immediately?

All of the above are difficult to answer but Jeff Kenna has to work with what he has to try and somehow get things changed around.

According to Nick Leeson, at the last fans forum, only two players have contracts that extend beyond this season so he has a lot of flexibility in separating the wheat from the chaff as he sees it. The difficulty too is that if we suffer relegation this season, the viabilty of full-time soccer next season is difficult to support financially and the calibre of player we could attract is likely to be less than what we would hope for.

All in all, Jeff Kenna and Galway United are in a very difficult position and I wish we had some simple answers.

eamo1
27/05/2008, 4:39 PM
I know ill probably get slated for saying this here but we are NOT down yet,theres over half the season left.Although last night was the first time i began to think relegation might be a reality but dont throw in the towel yet.If Jeff were to come out now and say hes preparing for next season in division 1already and will concentrate for the rest of the season on just bringing in youth players then im gonna tare up my season ticket.But he wont do/say that,Nick wont do/say it either.Some of the comments here defy logic.

gilberto_eire
27/05/2008, 5:09 PM
I know ill probably get slated for saying this here but we are NOT down yet,theres over half the season left.Although last night was the first time i began to think relegation might be a reality but dont throw in the towel yet.If Jeff were to come out now and say hes preparing for next season in division 1already and will concentrate for the rest of the season on just bringing in youth players then im gonna tare up my season ticket.But he wont do/say that,Nick wont do/say it either.Some of the comments here defy logic.

I never said play young players that are'nt good enough for the Premier Divison, but can anyone honestly say that the players we're playing now are good enough to keep us up?. Any of the young fellas that have played so far have done a great job, the muck that was out on the pitch last night would'nt be anywhere near the top of the first divison at the moment IMO they did'nt even put any real effort in, you'd swaer it was a friendly game!!. I said though that if we do go down it's time to go out there and get the best young players around the town before they end up in England, i'm sure a few would stay here for a year or two if they were given a chance!

Maroon 7
27/05/2008, 8:59 PM
Bit of a small break tonight with Harps losing at home to some late goals. UCD get a point though. Amazing that we're not completely cut adrift yet. Bottom now looks like.

Harps 13 11
U.C.D 13 9
Cobh 13 9
Galway 13 6

Terry
27/05/2008, 9:31 PM
was told last night that jeff, his new assistant (cant think of his name right now) and Billy Clery are going to part of the playing squad come july. All this based on the notion that jeff just isnt getting the players he wants because of where we find ourselves at the moment.

gufct
27/05/2008, 9:39 PM
Bit of a small break tonight with Harps losing at home to some late goals. UCD get a point though. Amazing that we're not completely cut adrift yet. Bottom now looks like.

Harps 13 11
U.C.D 13 9
Cobh 13 9
Galway 13 6

Was thinking that myself but then I have maroon tinted glasses.

Square Heir
27/05/2008, 10:08 PM
Was thinking that myself but then I have maroon tinted glasses.

Yeah, but Harps are playing UCD this weekend and we are playing Pats, so it's gonna get worse before it gets better! Still absolutely gutted after last night :(

Maroon 7
27/05/2008, 10:26 PM
Yeah, but Harps are playing UCD this weekend and we are playing Pats, so it's gonna get worse before it gets better! Still absolutely gutted after last night :(

Two draws would nearly be worthy of a party.:D

Square Heir
27/05/2008, 10:50 PM
Two draws would nearly be worthy of as party.:D

Damn right!!:D

damoGUFC
28/05/2008, 5:54 PM
was told last night that jeff, his new assistant (cant think of his name right now) and Billy Clery are going to part of the playing squad come july. All this based on the notion that jeff just isnt getting the players he wants because of where we find ourselves at the moment.

Ian Fosster i Think. If the three mention play in july we have two defenders and a striker. Ian played with liverpool as a trainee so he might pop up with a goal or two and he is still young, 31 i think.

Tir Oilean
28/05/2008, 7:35 PM
Terry thats the best news ive heard in a long time! Not that its the solution to all our problems (we all know Beer is the solution!!!) It would be classified as the great escape!

Gaillimh Al
28/05/2008, 7:39 PM
Jeff's post match comments:

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/478/

pixiehead
29/05/2008, 3:50 AM
Jeff's post match comments:

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/478/

Fair play to him. At least he tells it how it is with no excuses. Lets see him on the pitch ASAP

eamo1
29/05/2008, 1:06 PM
Yes he did call it like it was.If that was T.C he would have said the lads showed character to create one good chance near the end,he would have blamed the ref,the pitch,the wind etc etc.