PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Serbia - Saturday, 24th May 2008 - Friendly

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

kingdomkerry
20/05/2008, 12:32 PM
Kiely
Kelly Dunne McShane O'Shea
Duff Potter Reid Hunt
Keane Doyle

Am I right is thinking keane, O Shea and Reid will be available. Anyone else available i cant think of?

gufct
20/05/2008, 12:44 PM
id play Delaney left back its his natural position and were struggling big time in that position.

gally
20/05/2008, 12:45 PM
Kiely
Kelly Dunne Bruce O'Shea
Duff Whelan Potter Hunt
Keane Keogh

shakermaker1982
20/05/2008, 12:47 PM
I think we should rest O'Shea (for a couple of seasons). I hope he sends out an experimental side, new blood might inject some much needed enthusiasm. Will Andy Reid be fit enough to play after his injury?

kingdomkerry
20/05/2008, 12:54 PM
McGeady is back too. Where is Stephen Reid, Is Andy Reid injured. What club does Delaney play for is he a regular.

dr_peepee
20/05/2008, 12:57 PM
Steven Reid had an op to ensure he's ready for preseason..

lionelhutz
20/05/2008, 1:01 PM
I thought A. Reid was out of the friendlies.

If he is, I'd like to see the following 11;

Kiely

Kelly McShane Dunne O'Dea

McGeady McPhail Potter Duff

Keane Murphy

I think it would be great to give the likes of O'Dea, McPhail and Murphy starts. I'd like to have a look at O'Dea at left back with Delaney perhaps playing the 2nd half. This is a problem position for us that needs to be sorted quickly.

McPhail by all accounts has had a good season for Cardiff (though he didn't have the best of games in the cup final) and itd be good to see if he's developed much since his early promise.

And I believe the partnership of Murphy and Keane could work very well if its given time to blossom. With Doyle off form, Murphy would be the best foil for Keane if we're going to play two up front

jbyrne
20/05/2008, 1:03 PM
hes bound to have a proper look at keogh given the 2 goals he has scored in portugal

NeilMcD
20/05/2008, 1:09 PM
Kiely

Kelly Dunne O Shea O Dea/Delaney

Duff/Hunt Reid ? McGeady

Doyle Keane

The last position can be filled by any of Potter, Garvan, Mc Phail, Whelan, Miller, Rowlands, Hoolahan

L37Ultra
20/05/2008, 1:26 PM
D.Kiely

S.Kelly R.Dunne J.O'Shea Delaney

O.Garvan

D.Duff S.Hunt

A.McGeady

R.Keane K.Doyle

With Shay Given, Lee Carsley, Kevin Kilbane, Steven Reid, Darron Gibson and Joey O'Brien, Stephen Ireland, Steven Finnan, Andy O Brien all posible combacks then i'm pretty confident going into the qualifiers.

back of the net
20/05/2008, 1:39 PM
If all eligible and fit to play

----------------Kiely----------------

Kelly----Dunne---O Dea-------Kilbane

--------------Carsley---------------

---Duff ------- Mcphail---------Hunt

----------Keane--------------------
--------------------Doyle----------

tetsujin1979
20/05/2008, 1:39 PM
going on the showing in friendlies so far

Kiely
Kelly Dunne McShane/Bruce Delaney
Duff Potter Whelan/McPhail Hunt
Keane Keogh

subs:
Murphy
Foley
O'Shea
McGeady
Doyle

L37Ultra
20/05/2008, 1:40 PM
If all eligible and fit to play

----------------Kiely----------------

Kelly----Dunne---O Dea-------Kilbane

--------------Carsley---------------

---Duff ------- Mcphail---------Hunt

----------Keane--------------------
--------------------Doyle----------

Kilbane and Carsley are not in the squad.

Topman
20/05/2008, 1:40 PM
Rowlands to Start

FarBeag
20/05/2008, 2:08 PM
Kiely

Kelly Dunne O Shea Delaney

Duff/Hunt Reid Rowlands McGeady

Murphy/Keogh Keane

irishultra
20/05/2008, 2:44 PM
GK:Kiely

RB: Kelly
LB: Delaney
CB: Dunne
CB: Mcshane

CM: Owen Garvan
CM: Andy Reid

LAM:Duff
RAM: McGeady
CAM: Robbie Keane

ST: Scannell

*I don't expect O'Shea or McGeady to start though. Definetly not McGeady considering he has a match on Thursday.*

boovidge
20/05/2008, 3:24 PM
^i'd swap scannell and keane around, otherwise it doesnt look a bad side

dr_peepee
20/05/2008, 4:08 PM
Keily
Foley Dunne O'Shea Delany
Whelan Reid Rowlands
McGeady <---> <---> Keane
Doyle

Subs
Kehoe for Doyle
McShane for O'Shea
Garvan for Rowlands
Duff for McGeady
Kelly for Delany

Torn-Ado
20/05/2008, 5:16 PM
Would McGeady not be given Saturday off after playing for Celtic on the thursday night?

beepbeep
20/05/2008, 5:49 PM
GK-Kiely
LB-S.kelly
CB-Dunne
CB-O Dea(probably mc sh1te tho)
LB-O Shea
RM-Duff
CM-Reid
CM-Garvan
LM-Hunt
ST-Keane
ST-Keogh(doyle)

NeilMcD
20/05/2008, 5:57 PM
Lads there is no way that O Shea can play left back. We need a left back so therefore it needs to be Delaney or O Dea. THis is what the friendlies are for.

beepbeep
20/05/2008, 6:02 PM
Lads there is no way that O Shea can play left back. We need a left back so therefore it needs to be Delaney or O Dea. THis is what the friendlies are for.

y couldnt he?hes a defender to some degree, hes left footed, he plays with the premiership champions. he trains under alex ferguson, he sees evra rio ferdinand, vidic in traing every day. he has played LB for man utd. and right back. and center midfiled....AND in goals!!!

NeilMcD
20/05/2008, 6:04 PM
He is not left footed. We have seen him play left back for Ireland and be **** so we need to find an answer or at worst an alternative to O Shea at left back. So we need to have a look at Delaney and or O Dea.

beepbeep
20/05/2008, 6:16 PM
well hes cetainly not shy bout using his left.
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=xr0pJsCGmx0
hes played more times left back then other positions.

NeilMcD
20/05/2008, 6:21 PM
Which means he has played more times **** there. He has been rubbish for Ireland more often than not and he is not the answer at left and certainly we need to look at alternatives. There is no doubt about that.

see's it
20/05/2008, 6:28 PM

delaney by all accounts has struggled in both games and in the long term O dea will be a centre half...
left full is a problem position has been since terry phelan packed it in :)

stiffler
20/05/2008, 6:31 PM
Im left footed and a defender.....do you think the Trap would give me a run out?

NeilMcD
20/05/2008, 6:34 PM
delaney by all accounts has struggled in both games and in the long term O dea will be a centre half...

Well what is O Shea. I am saying we need to be look at alternatives to O Shea at least and if Delaney struggles well then fair enough. I would probably give O Dea and look at too. I think for the qualifiers it will probably be Finnan though.

SkStu
20/05/2008, 6:39 PM
Well what is O Shea. I am saying we need to be look at alternatives to O Shea at least and if Delaney struggles well then fair enough. I would probably give O Dea and look at too. I think for the qualifiers it will probably be Finnan though.

is Painter an option or is it still too early for him? Had a great season by all accounts.

NeilMcD
20/05/2008, 6:42 PM
Conor Powel maybe.

irishfan86
20/05/2008, 7:27 PM

Not trying to be contradictory here, but O'Dea simply isn't a left back.

I've seen him play there for Celtic a few times, and against any winger with any level of pace or trickery he's done.

They turn him too quickly.

I rate him really highly as a centre-back, but there's no way he'll ever be an international standard left back.

back of the net
20/05/2008, 8:05 PM
Kilbane and Carsley are not in the squad.

like i said if eligible

then delaney at left back and mcphail and garvan in centre

FarBeag
20/05/2008, 8:29 PM

By who's account? Where did you hear this because I would be interested to read these comments if they exist? I will assess how suitable he is to this position in the two upcoming matches.Until this i will continue to support him for the left back position.

boovidge
20/05/2008, 9:07 PM
Theres no way O'Dea should get in ahead of Josh for first choice left back. He's a centre back and only plays at Left back in emergencies. Plus he cant even get into a celtic team with a shocking defence.

kingdomkerry
20/05/2008, 9:12 PM
What club does Delaney play for?

Paddy Garcia
20/05/2008, 9:20 PM
He plays for Rangers

Paddy Garcia
20/05/2008, 9:22 PM
I don't understand how some are suggesting McShane should start.

If he is not good enough to even warm the bench for Sunderland, then I'm sorry he is not good enough for Ireland (await stats for number of times he has been on bench!).

eekers
20/05/2008, 9:43 PM
is this thread in anyway related to that annoying radio ad "what team would pick if you were trapattoni?"

beepbeep
20/05/2008, 10:10 PM

If he is not good enough to even warm the bench for Sunderland, then I'm sorry he is not good enough for Ireland (await stats for number of times he has been on bench!).

probably bcoz he played the 2 warm up games.

antrimgreen
20/05/2008, 10:41 PM
^i'd swap scannell and keane around, otherwise it doesnt look a bad side

YAWN YAWN, change the record ffs. Has Keane not just had an excellent season?? Can't go all this bull surrounding dropping Keane.

micls
20/05/2008, 10:42 PM
YAWN YAWN, change the record ffs. Has Keane not just had an excellent season?? Can't go all this bull surrounding dropping Keane.

Read the post again now and do a bit of editting quick before you look silly :)

L37Ultra
20/05/2008, 10:57 PM
What club does Delaney play for?

Queen Park Rangers

see's it
20/05/2008, 11:00 PM
By who's account? Where did you hear this because I would be interested to read these comments if they exist? I will base how suitable he is to this position in the two upcoming matches.Until this i will continue to support him for the left back position.

i support him myself but its a fact his been dodgy in the games could be nerves or whatever i hope he settles down and makes the no.3 jersey his own for afew years

antrimgreen
21/05/2008, 2:32 PM
Read the post again now and do a bit of editting quick before you look silly :)

Can't now you have quoted it :rolleyes:

I would rather say sorry to the original poster, i read it too quick and the mist rose into my head/fingers. Sorry boovidge. My really feeling concerning the team is we have a real manager and it's great to relax and let him get on with it.

shakermaker1982
21/05/2008, 3:11 PM
Kiely

Kelly Dunne O'Shea Delaney

Hunt Garvan Rowlands Duff

Keane Keogh

I can't see McGeady playing from the start because of Celtic's game tomorrow. O'Shea is also a doubt because of the CL Final - not that he'd play/get tired but by the time he flies back it could be late Thursday/Friday.

Billy-Green
21/05/2008, 4:37 PM
I think we should rest O'Shea (for a couple of seasons).

Just broke my sh*t laughing in work :D

beepbeep
21/05/2008, 4:44 PM
would staunton come out of retirement to fill in at left back??:eek:

eirebhoy
21/05/2008, 6:04 PM

I rate McShane and Dunne as our best partnership as said before. By a long way too. If we hadn't got Dunne then maybe I wouldn't even have McShane in the team. They compliment each other really well.

Serbia Squad...

Goalkeepers: Vladimir Stojković (Sporting Lisbon), Vladimir Dišljenković (Metalurg Donetsk), Damir Kahriman (Konyasport)

Defence: Antonio Rukavina (Borussia Dortmund), Pavle Ninkov (Crvena zvezda), Marjan Marković (Dinamo Kiev), Gojko Kačar (Herta Berlin), Branislav Ivanović (Chelsea), Nemanja Vidić (Manchester United), Slobodan Rajković (PSV Eindhoven), Ivica Dragutinović (Sevilla), Aleksandar Luković (Udinese)

Midfield: Dejan Stanković (Inter), Nenad Kovačević (Lens), Milan Smiljanić (Espanyol), Dejan Milovanović (Crvena zvezda), Saša Ilić (Salzburg), Zoran Tošić (Partizan), Zdravko Kuzmanović (Fiorentina), Stefan Babović (Nantes), Boško Janković (Palermo)

Strikers: Nikola Žigić (Valencia), Danko Lazović (PSV Eindhoven), Marko Pantelić (Herta Berlin), Milan Jovanović (Standard)

Scooby Doo
22/05/2008, 5:39 PM
I rate McShane and Dunne as our best partnership as said before. By a long way too. If we hadn't got Dunne then maybe I wouldn't even have McShane in the team. They compliment each other really well.

Serbia Squad...

Goalkeepers: Vladimir Stojković (Sporting Lisbon), Vladimir Dišljenković (Metalurg Donetsk), Damir Kahriman (Konyasport)

Defence: Antonio Rukavina (Borussia Dortmund), Pavle Ninkov (Crvena zvezda), Marjan Marković (Dinamo Kiev), Gojko Kačar (Herta Berlin), Branislav Ivanović (Chelsea), Nemanja Vidić (Manchester United), Slobodan Rajković (PSV Eindhoven), Ivica Dragutinović (Sevilla), Aleksandar Luković (Udinese)

Midfield: Dejan Stanković (Inter), Nenad Kovačević (Lens), Milan Smiljanić (Espanyol), Dejan Milovanović (Crvena zvezda), Saša Ilić (Salzburg), Zoran Tošić (Partizan), Zdravko Kuzmanović (Fiorentina), Stefan Babović (Nantes), Boško Janković (Palermo)

Strikers: Nikola Žigić (Valencia), Danko Lazović (PSV Eindhoven), Marko Pantelić (Herta Berlin), Milan Jovanović (Standard)

Some good players in there, forgot that they had a few decent players. Zigic and Vidic really the only ones that would have sprung to mind.

tommy_c12000
22/05/2008, 9:38 PM
Kiely

Kelly Dunne O’Shea* O’Dea/Delaney

Duff Garvan McPhail McGeady**

Keane Doyle

*McShane if O’Shea’s not available
**Hunt if McGeady not available

-Kiely picks himself in goal due to the number of withdrawals in that position

-Kelly is also a shoe-in at RB after a consistent season but he has still to look convincing in an Irish shirt. Kevin Foley to get a run out around the 60min mark to see if he can offer anything in this position. Hopefully Finnan will be back to fill this role after the summer.

-Centre-back…..problem area. Dunne O’Shea best option at the moment with McShane filling in if O’Shea doesn’t play. I know it has been a season to forget for McShane but he has international experience and is still very young. Other options…..people touting for Alex Bruce don’t know what there talking about! I’ve watched numerous Ipswich games this season and he is no where near and never will be international class. O’Dea has to get regular 1st team experience before he’s considered and Delaney is never going to amount to anything but an average championship player. Hopefully O’Brien will be back sooner rather than later.

-Left-Back………another big problem position for Ireland. Realistically it will probably the enigmatic kilbane come Sept. Interesting to see how Delaney/O’Dea get on in this position. Please God Stephen O’Halloran will make a full recovery after his cartilage injury…..he looks a classy performer and would look like the long term left back if he can break into Villa’s 1st team.

-Wings……..Duff and McGeady. Hunt as an impact sub only….the man is headless and is totally over-hyped in the Irish media. He has been shown up badly by the more classier Premiership full backs (Evra, Clichy, Cole, etc). Hoolahan deserves a chance around the 60min mark.

-Midfield…….yet another problem position. Will look different come Sept with Carsley, Ireland(hopefully) and the 2 Reids to come back into the reckoning. I can’t believe people are clamouring for Rowlands and Potter. Rowlands is 30 in Feb and will no doubt be shifted at QPR this summer considering the money they now have, Potter has been transfer-listed by Wolves and it’s not as if there is a big queue vying for his signature. These two will not amount to anything. McPhail has had a good season but perhaps he has missed his ship. Im as big a fan as the next man but hes 29 in December and still yearns for the return to premiership football that he is highly unlikely to get. But because I’m an old sentimental at heart I’d throw the big man in there. Liam Miller is never going to amount to anything at this level either. He’s had ample opportunity and has not taken it and hes not getting any younger either. Let’s give Garvan a go. Also I’d like to see Whelan come on in the 2nd half. These two have undoubtedly the most potential out of all the central midfielders in the squad and look likely to be playing premiership football next season. From the evidence of the Portugese trip….it is unlikely that Garvan will get a go though……..what a shame.

-Doyle and Keane pick themselves with Keogh and Scannell hopefully getting in on the action. Long also has potential. But I hope big Daryl will be no more than the water carrier on the nite.

-Here’s to a bright new era of Irish football………..Come on Trap…..bring us out of out doldrums!