PDA

View Full Version : Avram Grant Sacked

jmurphyc
24/05/2008, 5:10 PM
Sacked just now. I'm not a Chelsea fan but that's ****ing ridiculous.

holidaysong
24/05/2008, 5:24 PM
It really is ridiculous. I mean give the guy a break, Chelsea were one slip away from winning the Champions League! What more do they want?

strangeirish
24/05/2008, 5:27 PM
Terry better keep his head down.

Razors left peg
24/05/2008, 5:34 PM
2 finals and no trophies and played crap football.... dont think its that big a surprise at a club with the resources that Chelsea have

superfrank
24/05/2008, 5:49 PM
He did take the club far but it's pretty evident that he's not a top class manager and a club like Chelsea, with its financial backing, players and overall potential, can attract someone who has a proven record in TOP leagues.

Thanks Avram. He did well but I'm not heartbroken with him gone.

Here's hoping Mancini comes in. I hope to God Frank Rijkaard doesn't get near the job. I hate him.

DmanDmythDledge
24/05/2008, 10:40 PM
It really is ridiculous. I mean give the guy a break, Chelsea were one slip away from winning the Champions League! What more do they want?
He didn't seem to have the full support and when you don't have that being sacked is always going to be the outcome.

bennocelt
24/05/2008, 11:20 PM
To be fair he was a bit out of his depth, and the chelsea players kind of took control, i mean he never took a coaching seesion with them, etc

but then there are a lot of managers out there that dont actually coach - Sven to name but one of many

Mancini would be a disaster
So would Rijkard

jebus
25/05/2008, 12:19 AM
Mancini is rubbish SuperFrank, have you watched Inter under his tenure? They've won the title by default

tetsujin1979
25/05/2008, 12:32 AM
Always on the cards, even since he was appointed.
Still feel sorry for the guy, had a (statiscally) better record than Mourinho in the Premiership, got to 2 finals, and was the width of the post from winning the Champions' League
The thing is, who's going to want the job, knowing that the only way to keep it is to win the Champions' League? Even winning the League 2 years in a row wasn't good enough for Mourinho!

osarusan
25/05/2008, 12:37 AM
The thing is, who's going to want the job, knowing that the only way to keep it is to win the Champions' League? Even winning the League 2 years in a row wasn't good enough

Very true, it's the same poisoned chalice as Real Madrid.

shakermaker1982
25/05/2008, 8:49 AM
I hope they appoint Sven!!!

superfrank
25/05/2008, 1:25 PM
Mancini is rubbish SuperFrank, have you watched Inter under his tenure? They've won the title by default
They still won it! They were run ridiculously close this year but still held on. Inter are similar to Chelsea in spending power in that both can splash the cash and bring in top players. Mancini has proven this year that he can control a team of top players and win the title.

The more I think about it, I have a strange feeling Henk Ten Caate could become manager. He won the league with Ajax, iirc.

superfrank
25/05/2008, 1:27 PM
Even winning the League 2 years in a row wasn't good enough for Mourinho!
Very simplistic summing up there. There's a whole lot more to Mourinho leaving and we'll probably never know the whole of it.

Dodge
25/05/2008, 2:27 PM
They still won it! They were run ridiculously close this year but still held on. Inter are similar to Chelsea in spending power in that both can splash the cash and bring in top players. Mancini has proven this year that he can control a team of top players and win the title.

Against zero opposition. Ten Caate left Ajax after about a season to join Chelsea. He's a Number 2

Closed Account 2
25/05/2008, 3:39 PM
It will be Guus Hiddink IMO, and that would be a good choice. He's a world class coach, took South Korea to 4th place in 2002 and Australia were robbed in 2006 - I think Russia could go far this summer, and if I was him I'd stick with Russia as with the young talent they have coming through and the ever increasing strength of the league I can see them being serious contenders for 2010... He also gets on with big Roman A and speaks reasonable Russian so I can see him being installed after the Euros. I wouldnt be suprised to see Slaven Bilic in the frame too.

jmurphyc
25/05/2008, 4:08 PM
The more I think about it, I have a strange feeling Henk Ten Caate could become manager. He won the league with Ajax, iirc.

Ten Cate didn't win the league with Ajax, although he went incredibly close in losing out to PSV on goal difference by a single goal. I do think he's an excellent assistant though - probably the brains behind Barca's period of dominance - and could make an excellent manager in future.

tricky_colour
25/05/2008, 10:53 PM
Very harsh sacking, a slip away from winning the Champions league.
Would probably have won the Premiership if he had been in charge all season.
His successor will probably be a flop.

WoodquayBoy
25/05/2008, 11:11 PM
Inter are my European (bar Premiership) team and they won the Scudetto despite best efforts of Mancini. Disgraceful treatment of Grant, but Roubles talk and bullsh*t walks. Mark Hughes will be next Chelsea manager

Roadend
26/05/2008, 8:11 AM
Very simplistic summing up there. There's a whole lot more to Mourinho leaving and we'll probably never know the whole of it.

Proabably the fact that Chelsea never played attractive football under him.

Angus
26/05/2008, 9:10 AM
You are all missing the wrong point (love that phrase)

Even if Terry had scored the pen, Grant would have gone. he was only a stopgap for the season and Chelsea's results were better than they expected.

If they had won the CL he would still be gone - this is not about results - this is about finance and the triple requirement to play sexy football, win and grow the brand to compete with Man U.

Now, if he had won the CL, they would have finessed him away, possibly to the mythical "upstairs" as director of some waste of time function but there is no way he would have been coach.

ramsfan
26/05/2008, 10:11 AM
the point is the guy was shafted, great piece in yesterdays people about it, terry has asumed to much power in club, look at champions league semis and stuff he did all the talking, needs to be brought down a peg or too as forall that crocodile tears

Razors left peg
26/05/2008, 9:44 PM
I would love to see Mark Hughes get the job, Dont rate Rijkaard and I think Hughes has done a fantastic job with Blackburn and deserves a shot with a big club

DmanDmythDledge
26/05/2008, 9:51 PM
I would love to see Mark Hughes get the job, Dont rate Rijkaard and I think Hughes has done a fantastic job with Blackburn and deserves a shot with a big club
I doubt he would get it. Abromovich will want someone with a bigger profile and European experience.

jebus
26/05/2008, 10:03 PM
Suicide job. Who would want such a terrible position??

I wouldn't mind a crack at it :)

old git
26/05/2008, 10:05 PM
I wouldn't mind a crack at it :)

would be a nice pay off for you jebus if you got sacked for failing to win champions league :D:D

jebus
26/05/2008, 10:13 PM
would be a nice pay off for you jebus if you got sacked for failing to win champions league :D:D

I'm so lazy my main ambition would be to get knocked out in the group stages and pick up my compensation by Christmas. Nothing says Happy Birthday Jesus like a guy with a blasphemous name eating turkey on a beach in Jamicia in December :)

jmurphyc
26/05/2008, 11:57 PM
I think it's going to be Riijkard (sp?). Roman wants attractive football and his teams do seem to play that. I don't know whether he'll be able to do a good job though or even get them playing attractive football as they'd need different personnel. If it's not Riijkard it could be Ancellotti. I think they're the two most likely (should Ancellotti lose his job).

superfrank
27/05/2008, 10:49 AM
Anyone but Rijkaard...

gustavo
27/05/2008, 12:40 PM
He did take the club far but it's pretty evident that he's not a top class manager and a club like Chelsea, with its financial backing, players and overall potential, can attract someone who has a proven record in TOP leagues.
If a big name manager comes in next season and they finish 2nd by two points and lose the CL final on penalties would it be fair to say then it was evident he wasn't a top class manager?

Dodge
27/05/2008, 12:44 PM
Ten Cate didn't win the league with Ajax, although he went incredibly close in losing out to PSV on goal difference by a single goal. I do think he's an excellent assistant though - probably the brains behind Barca's period of dominance - and could make an excellent manager in future.

No he was the brawn. Rijkaard was definitely the brains. No doubt that Frank was the main man. Fabulous manager who doesn't get the credit he deserves.

jmurphyc
27/05/2008, 2:59 PM
No he was the brawn. Rijkaard was definitely the brains. No doubt that Frank was the main man. Fabulous manager who doesn't get the credit he deserves.

I think he's a decent manager and am surprised when some people say that he's a useless manager, but I do think Ten Cate was the main guy behind Barca's revival. Since Ten Cate has left, Barca have stopped dominating and Real Madrid have taken over once again. Perhaps it's just a coincidence though.

Dodge
27/05/2008, 3:11 PM
I think he's a decent manager and am surprised when some people say that he's a useless manager, but I do think Ten Cate was the main guy behind Barca's revival. Since Ten Cate has left, Barca have stopped dominating and Real Madrid have taken over once again. Perhaps it's just a coincidence though.

I'm not saying they weren't a good team, and better together but from my reading of player interviews etc Ten Cate was the "hairdryer" type and Rijkaard was motivational and technical. Him going was a loss, but I think Rijkaard would've been a bigger loss. I think most teams have a course and barca had run theirs. so there's a definitely a touch of coincidence in it for me

shakermaker1982
28/05/2008, 11:34 AM
Looks like Mark Hughes is in the frame........

DmanDmythDledge
29/05/2008, 4:26 PM
Ten Cate sacked now (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3625332,00.html).

With all the changes at Chelsea (and more still to come) I can't see them winning any of the major trophies next season.

superfrank
11/06/2008, 8:14 PM
Scolari named as Chelsea manager (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/7449627.stm)

Nicely done. It might mean that Carvalho stays.

OwlsFan
12/06/2008, 6:53 AM
Has Scolari any club European managerial experience ? Interesting choice.

lionelhutz
12/06/2008, 9:06 AM
Strange time to publicly name him as manager. Should they not have waited until after the Euro's to announce it??

superfrank
12/06/2008, 10:53 AM
Has Scolari any club European managerial experience ? Interesting choice.
He doesn't. He only began managing in Europe with Portugal in 2002. Before that he managed Brazil and in the Brazilian league.

Should they not have waited until after the Euro's to announce it??
That's what I thought too. It seems a bit odd but clearly Scolari has allowed them to announce it.

gustavo
12/06/2008, 11:12 AM
I presume anything less than a Premier League and Champions League double will see him sacked