PDA

View Full Version : The Rod Squad

TheSeagullsNest
06/08/2003, 8:56 AM
Anyone else see it ?

One of the funniest things ive seen in ages ! jesus he is some charcarater, a bleedin nutter. The part were he said we was good enough to manage Man U or Liverpool was exceptionaly funny ! and that he would treat the players the same as he treated everyone else.

Roddy - You are a gem !

Estar
06/08/2003, 9:18 AM
Just a bit sad to see a guy like Courtney put so much money into a hopeless case like carlisle, after making all his money in Ireland. would it not have been better give something to Irish soccer?

As for the Doc I found it very boring, nothing new. Collins always acts like an infant. I think Steveo got all the brains in that family;)

patsh
06/08/2003, 9:38 AM
Didn't see the programme, but were they showing how "eccentric" the idea of Irish people taking over and running a club like Carlisle is and sort of taking the p*ss, or was it a "serious" documentary?

Dodge
06/08/2003, 10:00 AM
It started off with "the story of how two irishman changed the fortunes of an English football club" what it didn't say is that it brought them from 2nd bottom to 5th bottom in the two years Roddy has been there 9it didn't mention the first year at all) and that they were now getting lower crowds then when he took over...

Documentary was rubbish

Dodge
06/08/2003, 10:40 AM
Sorry meant to say the Ad for the ducumentary. Courtney said they need 6,000 to break even. Roddy said they'd be getting 10,000. They get 5,000

patsh
06/08/2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Silvio Dante
Before the Irish mafia took over the majority of fans were boycotting home games and average gates were under 3,000. By the end of last season gates were averaging 5,000
Gee, one day they might get as big as Cork City....... ;)

pete
06/08/2003, 1:51 PM
We all knew Roddy is a complete spoofer & now from last nights show more people will know that.

I thought the documentary was fairly poor as nothing new to it & didn't even succeed with the novelty side of.

Many kids may dream of playing in england but (all due respect to carlisle) no irish kid dreams of playing for Carlisle.

Courtenay seems to have picked a particularily poor time to invest in englisg football. If he'd waited a year or 2 he'd have got a much bigger english club in a better league position for whatever sum he bought the club for.

Estar
06/08/2003, 9:47 PM
A waste of time :(
Courtney or Collins won't be there in a few years, due to their poor league position and lack of success.

Postman
06/08/2003, 10:45 PM
I found the documentary quite strange. There was a lot of holes in it for anyone who's been tracking the fortunes (misfortunes) of that Gob****e over the past two seasons. For one, his whole first season is ignored. As far as I know Roddy was appointed by your man Knighton. The documentary makes it look like Courtney and Collins went over together. The whole documentary plays up to the whole "move to Enfgland and you've made it it" vibe, which is absolute bull****.

Like another poster, I'd love to ask Courtney why he felt obliged to bail out an English club to which he had absolutely no allegiances. He even admits now that after five years he's outta there. Hopefully he'll bring his money back to Rovers when he gets a bit of sense. His son is already involved with our club so I'd say we're in with a chance.

pete
07/08/2003, 2:23 PM
AFAIK the programme was made by Setanta so hopefully they'll show the futility of young irish players desparately hanging onto their pro football dream in aforeign country.

Even looking at it objectively its hard to see how Carlisle have improved at all in the last 2 years. If anything Carlisle seem to have got worse from year 1 to year 2.

niamh
08/08/2003, 10:33 AM
And you don't see anyone investing money or making documentaries about any Irish clubs.
The docu wasn't great but the introduction to it was funny - will the viewers please note there will be lots of bad language in the following programme!

pete
08/08/2003, 2:03 PM
Originally posted by niamh
The docu wasn't great but the introduction to it was funny - will the viewers please note there will be lots of bad language in the following programme!

Shoddy was just trying to a poor imitation of Barry Fry.

:eek:

tiktok
08/08/2003, 3:59 PM
Originally posted by niamh
And you don't see anyone investing money or making documentaries about any Irish clubs.

True. although John Creedon's RTE documentary on CCFC, 'City Life, a soccer scrapbook' is brilliant. Only an hour long piece though.

Originally posted by Silvio Dante
I hate to be blunt but if you had a choice of following Pat Fenlon around Shels for a season or Roddy at Carlisle. Roddy wins hands down....

nail on the head silvio, there's no point in looking at it as a documentary on Carlisle, because RTE are only there because of Roddy. Love him or hate him, he speaks his mind and he's enetertaining (hotpress are doing a spread on him as well).

i reckon Dolan would be worth a similar project though:)

Countyman
13/08/2003, 11:18 AM
Roddy has some dodgy tastes in suits :)

while that Carlisle groundsman deffo has something against the irish .

Who the **** is des byrne and what has he ever done besides making court appearences :confused: