23/05/2008, 2:57 PM
i hear its...

kiely
kelly - dunne - mcshane - delaney
duff - whelan - miller - hunt
keane - doyle

That would be correct.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3207

Good to see Delaney get a chance to show what he can do as the left-full position is an area where we are especially weak.

paul_oshea
23/05/2008, 3:02 PM
both those full back choices are very poor in my opinion, that backline is terrible. Hope to god finnan comes back. O'shea looks like a star performer when reading that team sheet.

That is a seriouslly weak team, my god I am not looking forward to seeing that team - and I hope I wont - away from home.

eirebhoy
23/05/2008, 3:03 PM
I predicted the same team except O'Shea in for Delaney and McPhail instead of Miller. Delighted McShane is starting. Potentially a superb defensive partnership if they play together regularly. I don't think partnering Dunne with anyone else has the same potential but I do rate McShane very highly as we know. ;)

jmurphyc
23/05/2008, 3:11 PM
Good to see Whelan and Delaney in the team. Hopefully Dlenaey will solve a few problems at left back. I'm surprised to see Miller there though.

soccerc
23/05/2008, 3:13 PM
Delighted for Whelan, solid player and deserving of this opportunity

jbyrne
23/05/2008, 3:22 PM
both those full back choices are very poor in my opinion, that backline is terrible. Hope to god finnan comes back. O'shea looks like a star performer when reading that team sheet.

That is a seriouslly weak team, my god I am not looking forward to seeing that team - and I hope I wont - away from home.

on the face of it its not that strong but with new caps like whelan and delaney and lads who are in the last chance saloon like miller then maybe they'll make the most of their chance to stake a claim

Scooby Doo
23/05/2008, 3:25 PM
That central midfield looks a bit worrying and whatever about delaney i am not a fan of mc shane. he'll prob be ok against the serbs but i would shudder to think of him starting against italy :confused: andy o brien or o shea for me. with finnan back and hopefully the 2 reids or steven reid and carsley in the centre then we will have a pretty solid team. and its great not to see jonathon douglas near that team!!!!

gufct
23/05/2008, 3:33 PM
Delighted for Damien Delaney and Paul have you seen him play or you just basing your thoughts on bias. Left back has been a huge problem area for us and playing John O'Shea there is crazy.

tetsujin1979
23/05/2008, 3:42 PM
Had the same team, apart from Keogh up front instead of Doyle, and Potter instead of Miller, although I didn't know at the time Potter was carrying a knock
Delighted for Whelan, been following his career since he was in the reserves at City, and richly deserved

Supreme feet
23/05/2008, 3:43 PM
The back four is nicely balanced, everyone's playing in their proper positions. I hope Delaney does well. Whelan is in the Kinsella/Holland mould and won't let anyone down, but Miller's performance will decide whether or not we get over-run in that area. Big games for Hunt and Doyle. I think, with such a small midfield, we'll be keeping it on the deck, which will be a relief. Trap's made some comments on that, how football is not meant to be played in the air, and how a passing game will bring the best out of Keane.

"Sometimes in England, when the ball is in the air...you need a shotgun to hit it, it's not easy,"

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trap-plans-to-centre-game-plan-on-keane-1383856.html

the doc
23/05/2008, 3:48 PM
I predicted the same team except O'Shea in for Delaney and McPhail instead of Miller. Delighted McShane is starting. Potentially a superb defensive partnership if they play together regularly. I don't think partnering Dunne with anyone else has the same potential but I do rate McShane very highly as we know. ;)

Disagree McShane is poor, I honestly feel that St Ledger along side Dunne would be an excellent partnership.

I think once Trapp gets to see the Saint play he will waste no time bringing him into the squad.

Hopefully now that A Kelly is back in the set up he can tip Trapp off about Prestons rising star.

paul_oshea
23/05/2008, 3:54 PM
Delighted for Damien Delaney and Paul have you seen him play or you just basing your thoughts on bias. Left back has been a huge problem area for us and playing John O'Shea there is crazy.

no but he is playing in the lower first division so I don't think I need to see him, to say that side is weak and inexperienced.

When i was on holiday I met a season ticket holder at sheffield so I thought I had to ask him about whelan, he said there was huge hype around him at wednesday but this fella himself didn't know what it was all about. He didn't think much of whelan and said he always gave 110% and thats probably why he was a fans favourite.

OwlsFan
23/05/2008, 4:56 PM
Trapp's quotes are going to be great:

Trapattoni has already confirmed that 27-year-old Keane will retain the captaincy, and underlined his importance to the team after Thursday evening's training session in Malahide.

"I said last month how important I believe Robbie is because football is about power, creativity and intelligence.

"Robbie at Tottenham has experience, personality and he brings a calm to the rest of the team.

"He has the timing in his head, and that is important."

Trapattoni has made a point of insisting he wants his team to be able to play a variety of systems, and believes Keane could be key to that.

However, he was quick to point to the difference in what is required of him at Spurs and how he sees him playing for his country.

The manager said: "I have seen many, many games live and also on DVD. I cannot speak about other teams because there are other team-mates.

"In England, the football is very difficult, but the ball flies in England.

"Robbie needs to play football. He understands when the ball is coming, he knows already in his head what to do.

geysir
23/05/2008, 5:07 PM
The quotes just flow

February will be no problem for Trap
“For a game, it’s better that the weather is colder, fresher — the sun is only for holidays,” he smiled.

On speed reading
“Today is important because Robbie (Keane) and Richard Dunne are back,” he said. “I spoke with them and clarified a little bit about what we did in training in Portugal. They understand what I am looking for in our system. We did five minutes with that system this evening and I think they are happy"

irishultra
23/05/2008, 6:12 PM
Really wanted to see Garvan in midfield...I really don't rate Liam Miller. I'm really suprised Il Trap isn't going for the 4-1-2-2-1 formation. This is what I want to see against Columbia.

Garvan....Andy Reid and Whelan in midfield.

I really hope Doyle and Keane can work well together, and hopefully we will see Hunt do well.

FarBeag
23/05/2008, 6:32 PM

Oh come on Paul. Steven Kelly has played very well this season in a struggling Birmingham side and there is no point in making any reference to Finnan until he officially says he is coming back.Damian Delaney is an excellent left back and deserves his place. We have been crying out for a natural left back for a long time now and I am certain that Damian will prove many people wrong. To say that John O Shea who has played a handful of games this season would be a better option is just plain silly. Whatever about him playing in the centre there is no way I would play him at left back.

I am not a fan of McShane whatsoever and I really hope he plays well and does himself some justice. I really like him as a person and admire his determination but this is as far as it goes.

Miller should not be there either as he has had too many chances already. Garvan should be given his chance.

Apart from this I am reasonably happy with the team.

RiffRaff
23/05/2008, 6:56 PM
Agree with the above post about Kelly who was excellant last season despite Birmingham's relegation. I think he's matured into a decent player and unless Finnan gets regular games, i reckon he should get the right back spot.

livehead1
23/05/2008, 6:56 PM
Really wanted to see Garvan in midfield...I really don't rate Liam Miller. I'm really suprised Il Trap isn't going for the 4-1-2-2-1 formation. This is what I want to see against Columbia.

Garvan....Andy Reid and Whelan in midfield.

I really hope Doyle and Keane can work well together, and hopefully we will see Hunt do well.

I really hope that's the case.

back of the net
23/05/2008, 7:00 PM
[QUOTE=back of the net;948725]

really hope he tries a 4-4-1-1 and plays keane in behind doyle

why is miller starting? never mind playing- he just aint good enough

back of the net
23/05/2008, 7:02 PM

fully agreed

Paddy Garcia
23/05/2008, 8:37 PM
i hear its...

kiely
kelly - dunne - mcshane - delaney
duff - whelan - miller - hunt
keane - doyle

The centre of that midfield plus McShane look like a disaster area the size of the Bermuda triangle.

Still there is always the rugby.

irishultra
23/05/2008, 8:53 PM
I really hope that's the case.

Really?

irishultra
23/05/2008, 8:55 PM
The centre of that midfield plus McShane look like a disaster area the size of the Bermuda triangle.

Still there is always the rugby.

Do you ever have anything positive to say?:)

*Long time reader but never had an e-mail address(other than yahoo or msn) so I couldn't reigster.

Paddy Garcia
23/05/2008, 10:09 PM

Well yes, but I'd be very cautious about the housing market.

And McShane in central defense.

soccerc
23/05/2008, 10:14 PM
Miller is average.

Whelan, McShane and Delaney are disasters, I hope they aren't near the squad come the qualifiers.

:confused:

kingdomkerry
23/05/2008, 10:27 PM
Better to reserve judgement until we see them play first.

jmurphyc
23/05/2008, 11:02 PM
Miller is average.

Whelan, McShane and Delaney are disasters, I hope they aren't near the squad come the qualifiers.

I'd say Kiely is too. He plays for a championship club so he must be sh...oh wait, they just went up, he must be good then.

tetsujin1979
24/05/2008, 2:26 AM
I'd say Kiely is too. He plays for a championship club so he must be sh...oh wait, they just went up, he must be good then.
Yeah, Whelan plays for a championship club so he must be sh...oh wait, they just went up, he must be good then.

jbyrne
24/05/2008, 9:06 AM
[QUOTE=back of the net;948725]
why is miller starting? never mind playing- he just aint good enough

he must have impressed the manager and brady is a miller fan. its only a friendly so lets see how he gets on under the new management and take it from there

tommy_c12000
24/05/2008, 9:17 AM
[quote=back of the net;948728]

he must have impressed the manager and brady is a miller fan. its only a friendly so lets see how he gets on under the new management and take it from there

I'm with "back of the net" on this one. Hes had ample opportunity on the international stage and hasnt taken it. At 27 hes not getting any younger and realistically when the Reids, Ireland and Carsley come back he won't stand a chance at getting a sniff at the action. Trap should be looking at Owen Garvan period......not having a look at a player who's had numerous chances both at club and international but has ultimately failed to mature into the box-to-box midfielder we hoped he would be after his success with the Irish U16s. His career is on a slippery slope and his only chance for redemption is to return to Elland Road and enjoy Championship (hopefully) football next season where he'd be a lot more comfortable.....no offence to the guy

paul_oshea
24/05/2008, 10:41 AM
Agree with the above post about Kelly who was excellant last season despite Birmingham's relegation. I think he's matured into a decent player and unless Finnan gets regular games, i reckon he should get the right back spot.

if thats true someone ( premiership ) will come in for him

Razors left peg
24/05/2008, 10:54 AM
if thats true someone ( premiership ) will come in for him

I think Kelly has already said that he will stay with Birmingham after their relegation, he is developing into a good defender though, solid more than spectacular

carloz
24/05/2008, 1:00 PM
Miller is average.

Be completly honest, how many times have you seen Whealan and Delaney play. Id be quite sure you have rarely seen either of them. Whealan has been one of the stars of the Championship for the past two seasons so stop coming out with stupid off the cuff comments like that. This is a friendly match, players like Whealan and Delaney deserve their chance and this is the right time to give it to them.

Ordinary Fan
24/05/2008, 1:46 PM
Great to see disagreements about the team again instead of moans about the manager.
Much as I would like to S. Reid or Garvan in the middle instead of Miller, it might be time to give up on Reid as he is always injured and Garvan obviosly didnt do the business in Portugal. Whealan deserves his change but I think this level may be to much for him.
We need a left back so it is worthwhile giving Delaney a chance.
McShane star has fallen in the last twelve months and I don't see him as an international player, there is a big gap finding someone to play along side Dunne. I was suprised ST Ledger is not in the squad although an up and down player he is better positionaly than Mc Shane.
Gret to be going to a match to with hope.

Kingdom
24/05/2008, 1:57 PM
I'd say the reason Garvan and Whelan aren't starting together in the middle would be due to experience? The back 4 selected is an interesting one. I've no experience of Delaney but hey we need a natural left back so lets give him a go.

Paddy Garcia
24/05/2008, 8:46 PM

If I was ignorant I'd be fine - the problem is I know something about football.

Here we are, another failure to defeat a very very poor team. Not the managers fault - apart from selecting McShane. And Hunt - total rubbish.

the doc
25/05/2008, 11:41 AM
Great to see disagreements about the team again instead of moans about the manager.
Much as I would like to S. Reid or Garvan in the middle instead of Miller, it might be time to give up on Reid as he is always injured and Garvan obviosly didnt do the business in Portugal. Whealan deserves his change but I think this level may be to much for him.
We need a left back so it is worthwhile giving Delaney a chance.
McShane star has fallen in the last twelve months and I don't see him as an international player, there is a big gap finding someone to play along side Dunne. I was suprised ST Ledger is not in the squad although an up and down player he is better positionaly than Mc Shane.
Gret to be going to a match to with hope.

Far from being an up and down player performance wise, very consistant and has played many outstanding games for Preston.