PDA

View Full Version : Physio or Doctor

Stevo Da Gull
21/05/2008, 3:34 PM
I picked up a hip injury playing tennis a month ago, rested on and off for the first 2 weeks and have rested completely for the last 2 weeks (seriously, 2 of the laziest weeks of my life). Anyhow, the hip doesn't seem to be getting any better and I'm pretty sure I'll be sent for an X-Ray regardless but I'm wondering if I'm supposed to go to a physiotherapist or a doctor with this injury?

I'm thinking I should go to the physio, but I decided to let the smart people of foot.ie decide instead ;)

jebus
21/05/2008, 3:38 PM
Doctor I'd imagine, incase there is any damage to any bone around the hip. Although with the Irish health service in the state it is you'd be best off going to a witch doctor. My brother completely dislocated his right knee and tore some ligaments playing football last year. The doctor sent him to physio and put him in a brace for 3 months saying it would deal naturally. He was still having pain up to last month so went to another doctor who told him he probably needed surgery at the time

paul_oshea
21/05/2008, 3:44 PM
dislocated his knee or kneecap? If its his knee then i don't beleive he would have been told that by anyone as he could have lost his leg from the knee down.

jebus
21/05/2008, 3:45 PM
dislocated his knee or kneecap? If its his knee then i don't beleive he would have been told that by anyone as he could have lost his leg from the knee down.

Kneecap, apologies

pete
21/05/2008, 3:56 PM
I decided to let the smart people of foot.ie decide instead ;)

Poll added as requested. Results are binding ;)

Stevo Da Gull
21/05/2008, 4:02 PM
Poll added as requested. Results are binding ;)

While I'm very grateful, the `yes` and `no` options are a bit confusing ;)

gilberto_eire
21/05/2008, 4:02 PM
Physio or Doctor

Answers: Yes or No

:confused:

Which is Yes and which is No?

sligoman
21/05/2008, 4:03 PM
Poll added as requested. Results are binding ;)Proper poll added;)

John83
21/05/2008, 4:03 PM
Play it safe, go to the doctor.

Stevo Da Gull
21/05/2008, 5:00 PM
Cheers folks ;)

pete
22/05/2008, 11:12 AM
Proper poll added;)

Joke back fires on me :(

Macy
22/05/2008, 11:17 AM
Doctor, who may well refer you to a physio.

Block G Raptor
22/05/2008, 11:21 AM
In any situation like this you should always consult a Dr who will make a diagnosis and then refer you for whatever treatment you require (physio or medication or whatever) I'd be surprised if a Physio would see you without a referral letter from your GP or a Dr. in A&E

drinkfeckarse
22/05/2008, 12:48 PM
I have found Doctors to be almost pointless whenever I've picked up sport related injuries. I've picked up a few muscular injuries over the years through football and when I was younger I would go to the Doctor first only to be invariably told "rest it for a couple of weeks".

More than once I had to get scar tissue pounded out of my calf or thigh when it didn't heal properly because I'd rested it and hadn't been advised to stretch the injury.

It's maybe a little different in your case if it's the actual hip bone but in 90% of other cases I'd say go to the physio.

Stevo Da Gull
22/05/2008, 7:20 PM
Well I went to the doctor today. I knew beforehand that I'd be sent for an X-ray and that was the first thing she said, she does think it's muscular though and in most cases 4-6 weeks rest will do the trick (I've already been resting for 2). It seems that there will be no need for a physio, I have seen some workouts online for when your getting back into the swing of things though. A bit of a downer (a huge pain in the arse) to miss another month but sure that's life.

Thanks for all of the help and advice :) Someday I shall repay ye all... probably in another life though :D

John83
22/05/2008, 7:56 PM
...A bit of a downer (a huge pain in the arse) to miss another month but sure that's life...
Yes, that's usually muscular.

paul_oshea
23/05/2008, 11:38 AM
a big fat muscular one....