PDA

View Full Version : World trip

micls
20/05/2008, 8:52 PM
Myself and GavinZac have decided to take a year to travel the world. Starting July 2009 and finishing in South Africa for the WC in 2010.

Any ideas for 'must see' places? Any general info welcome.

In general were thinking we want to include the US, Mexico, Brazil and maybe one of 2 other places in South America, Thailand, Australia, Japan, China, Nepal, India and of course South Africa.

Ive never really been outside Europe so all suggestions welcome.

Block G Raptor
21/05/2008, 10:41 AM
The Pyramids are an obvious one, and if your into that kind of thing the Nazca Lines in Peru are a truly magnificent mystery. A Liittle closer to home is Malta a really fantastic place altogether. I'll think of a few more no doubt

Sligo Hornet
21/05/2008, 12:15 PM
The Pyramids are an obvious one, and if your into that kind of thing the Nazca Lines in Peru are a truly magnificent mystery. A Liittle closer to home is Malta a really fantastic place altogether. I'll think of a few more no doubt

Would agree....just returned from a long weekend ( first time in Malta)....Valetta is a very historical place (went scuba diving down to and inside HMS Maori )

Billsthoughts
23/05/2008, 12:45 PM
You should take in New Zealand if you are going to Australia. There are loads of things to do and the scenery in the South island is amazing.

I wouldnt count on a stop in south africa at the mo!

GavinZac
23/05/2008, 1:10 PM
Malta will have to wait! :D ;)

osarusan
23/05/2008, 1:29 PM
Wouldn't recommend Japan tooooo much, to be honest. But it depends what you're looking for on your holiday. Don't expect any green fields or anything crazy like that. If you love concrete, sweltering heat, and (without a doubt) the greatest public transport system in the world, it's perfect.

Although I think you both, and everybody else, should visit the A-Bomb Dome and Museum in Hiroshima. It's something you'd be glad you experienced.

superfrank
23/05/2008, 2:02 PM
Canada. Brilliant place.

bennocelt
23/05/2008, 4:37 PM
Are ye going to China, if so i can fill you in on a few places since i was there for a few years:)

kingdom hoop
23/05/2008, 10:45 PM
First things first, can I come?

Second, great idea, it'll be the time of your lives. Every place you go to will be brilliant, so more than anything it's about you appreciating it and savouring every second. Obviously you started the thread for the best places to see though, not for any moral 'wisdom' from me. Attitude is always important though. :)

I suppose an important thing too is to spend more time in the places you're unlikely to return to, maybe South America? Also, you have to accept that you can't see everywhere, so those places you do see, you want to see them properly. That way as much as you might want to go to back to somewhere you won't need to. Just something to bear in mind as you plan the logistics. You might also want to think about other cultural (sport or music say) events that you might be able to coincide a visit to a place with.

So places to go. I unequivocally recommend spending 6 or so weeks in Mexico and Central America. In general they're great: Not overly infested with backpackers/Irish, good hostels, loads of things to do (old colonial towns, volcanoes, mountains, Mayan ruins in the middle of jungle, beautiful beaches), people are lovely, generally nice, unthreatening atmosphere, very cheap, and if you can pick up a little Spanish before you go (highly recommended) then it'll be all the better.

From there I'd fly to Cusco in Peru so you can go to Machu Picchu (probably the most magical place in the world). Take in the Salt Flats (basically salt desert!) in southern Bolivia. Then onto Buenos Aires (really cool city), Iguazu Falls (the world's greatest waterfalls), and Rio (the world's greatest city). It's hard to speak highly enough of Rio, truly truly spectacular location, amazingly friendly, happy people (which isn't surprising when you see where they're from!) and a great party city. Damn the memories are good! There's amazing scenic beauty in Chile too, but I haven't been. A cruise down the Amazon can wait for the honeymoon. :p

Apologies if all the above is incoherent. Ask a few direct questions and I'll try to answer them.

Closed Account 2
25/05/2008, 3:21 AM
Do the Trans Siberian, or the Old Silk Road if you get a chance

kingdom hoop
25/05/2008, 3:36 AM
What about Cuba? :) I'd imagine it'd be convenient enough to spend 2/3 weeks there and then fly on to Mexico.

Do the Trans Siberian, or the Old Silk Road if you get a chance

Are they worthy of trips all unto themselves though? Certainly given the madness of them you'd think so! Also, and in seriousness Edmundo, would one need a little Russian or such to do them? I'd do either in the morning if I thought I wouldn't feel like an awkward p'rick in so doing!

Oh yeah, and my offer still stands.

kingdom hoop
25/05/2008, 3:58 AM
Edmundo???

Closed Account 2
25/05/2008, 4:25 AM
you can learn basic Russian pretty easily, enough to get by

kingdom hoop
25/05/2008, 4:29 AM
Perhaps we can start by you explaining your singature!

strangeirish
25/05/2008, 11:30 AM
Perhaps we can start by you explaining your singature!
Wish me success?????

Closed Account 2
25/05/2008, 1:07 PM
Indeed:-

пожелай мне - wish me
удачи - good luck

GuisaSaigon
26/05/2008, 1:18 PM
Laos is amazing, not very commercial like Thailand. People are really friendly and don't seem too bothered about extracting the dollars from the tourists. Slow boat down the Mekong, Tubing in Vang Vieng and the bomb riddled plain of jars in Phonsovan are some of the highlights I remember from a trip there 5 years ago.
You would need a minimum of two weeks to do it any Justice, a month would be much better.
Plenty "Happy Pizza" and "Happy Milshake" places in Vang Vieng, wash them down with some lao lao (Laos Poteen) for great night you wont remember :D

Juanace
28/05/2008, 4:09 PM
On a similar theme myself and a mate our thinkning of heading by land to Australia (i.e. buses, trains, ferries, mules etc..!!).

Thinking of going October 2009 through Scandanavia then eastern europe then either Russia or Middle East..into India..China..Hong Kong..Laos..Cambodia..Singapore..Indonesia..Aussie land!! Were gonna live there for a year or so and come back the other way (by plane!).

Anyone done anything remotely similar or have any fisrt hand knowledge of these countries etc..