PDA

View Full Version : Duff linked with Spurs

Pages : [1] 2

paulie_walnuts
20/05/2008, 9:30 AM
Spurs are hardly going to sign a Newcastle bench warmer to play in the first team after signing Modric. I'll take this one with a pinch of salt. Duff's stock has fallen seriously in the past 18 months

paul_oshea
20/05/2008, 9:42 AM
id love if he went playing week in week out with keane could only be of benefit to us, plus i want him away from newcastle.

livehead1
20/05/2008, 9:50 AM
Complete and utter drivel! I reckon there are only around 3 or 4 clubs in the premiership who would sign him if they could and they are probably struggling sides who would struggle to match his wages. He's been useless for his club(s) for around 3-4 years.

Also, who writes these articles?! Who was the last 29 year old that Spurs bought? What a waste of time this thread is, i hope someone can see that!

tetsujin1979
20/05/2008, 10:00 AM
Linked with Portsmouth, Blackburn and Spurs, according to this: http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1020560/Spurs-Blackburn-Pompey-race-sign-Newcastle-flop-Duff.html

FarBeag
20/05/2008, 10:09 AM
Yeah.I think Blackburn or Portsmouth would be a more realistic bet.

drinkfeckarse
20/05/2008, 10:12 AM
Rapidly approaching last chance saloon for Duff I'm afraid. His next move has to see him find some bit of form. Granted if he can stay injury free he at least has a chance of showing it.

tetsujin1979
20/05/2008, 11:00 AM
Yeah.I think Blackburn or Portsmouth would be a more realistic bet.

With Portsmouth set to lose Krancjar to Arsenal, it could happen

shakermaker1982
20/05/2008, 11:11 AM
Sparky and Redknapp should be able to bring out the old Duffer magic.

Spurs are the Southern equivalent of Newcastle. Think they are a huge club (without winning sweet FA) and believe they have a right to break into the top 4. They try and achieve this goal by buying in 15 different players every August. Hope Duff stays well clear of em TBH.

beautifulrock
20/05/2008, 12:03 PM
Sparky and Redknapp should be able to bring out the old Duffer magic.

Spurs are the Southern equivalent of Newcastle. Think they are a huge club (without winning sweet FA) and believe they have a right to break into the top 4. They try and achieve this goal by buying in 15 different players every August. Hope Duff stays well clear of em TBH.

correct by doing the above and sacking ther manager on a bi annual basis, stay well clear Duffer.

BradyIsMyHero
20/05/2008, 1:42 PM
With Barton gone into the slammer for the next six months, Newcastle will need all the players they can keep

irishultra
20/05/2008, 1:46 PM
Sadly Duff is finished. I could only hope a team in Spain would sign him.

jbyrne
20/05/2008, 2:10 PM
Sadly Duff is finished. I could only hope a team in Spain would sign him.

his last few performances for us (which is all i care about) woudnt suggest he's finished at all

irishultra
20/05/2008, 2:11 PM
his last few performances for us (which is all i care about) woudnt suggest he's finished at all

Good point. He was class against Slovakia.

livehead1
20/05/2008, 2:17 PM
Woodgate. <_<

Some Tool! Woodgate: 22/1/80. Therefore he was 27 when Spurs bought him. Why did you just enter Woodgate? Do you EVER think before you post?

irishultra
20/05/2008, 2:22 PM
The signed the Brazilian left back Gilberto, who I'm sure was 30 at the World Cup.

eekers
20/05/2008, 2:23 PM
Duff is rumoured to be joining up with Ranieri again at Juventus. Spurs arent gonna touch him. And comparing then to Newcastle is laughable.

irishultra
20/05/2008, 2:24 PM
Duff is rumoured to be joining up with Ranieri again at Juventus. Spurs arent gonna touch him. And comparing then to Newcastle is laughable.

Now if this happened my world would be complete.

I highly doubt it though.

shakermaker1982
20/05/2008, 2:48 PM

-big fanbase and have big opinions of themselves
-play attractive football
-change managers every 6-12 months
-buy lots of expensive players but still struggle to win trophies (League Cup is a micky mouse cup)
-great record of signing crocked players

The only differences are the house prices and the weather!!!!!

shaneker
20/05/2008, 3:27 PM
Either way, he has to get out of Newcastle, he's had a dreadful time there (both injury and form-wise) and Keegan clearly doesn't see him as part of his best team (Duff played a big part in their dreadful run under Kev, then once they started winning was unable to get into the side).

To be honest, I think if Duff wasn't Irish we would already be saying he is finished. To say he looks a shadow of his former self is doing a disservice to shadows, and its just desperate hope now that wherever he ends up he finds some form. I'm not holding my breath but I'd love to be proved wrong!

Oh, and to get back on topic - right now there is no chance that Duff would get into the Spurs team. Lennon has had a poor season but still better than Duff's, and with Modric coming in its going to get crowded in that midfield. Would be a bad move for him in my opinion.

Torn-Ado
20/05/2008, 4:14 PM
Duff was the one who apparently chose Newcastle over a possible move to Spain. I personally can see him taking the same route again and settling with another unambitious outfit closer to home rather than moving abroad.

If the Juventus rumour has some substance, he should be on the first flight to Turin and give it his biggest shot. As mentioned before, his last few games for his country is evidence that the old duffer is still lurking around and ready to produce.

eekers
20/05/2008, 8:24 PM
-big fanbase and have big opinions of themselves
-play attractive football
-change managers every 6-12 months
-buy lots of expensive players but still struggle to win trophies (League Cup is a micky mouse cup)
-great record of signing crocked players

The only differences are the house prices and the weather!!!!

You cant compare the fanbase size of newcastle and tottenham. Newcastle have a very passionate local fanbase but outside Newcastle nothing. Tottenham as well as having the third biggest fanbase in london (after arsenal and man united!) have a huge global fanbase.

Newcastle havent won a trophy of merit since the fa cup in 1955 and havent won a league title in 80 years! Whereas tottenham are the only club that can match United in winning a trophy in each of the last 6 decades.
The league cup is only a mickey mouse cup when someone outside the top four wins it. sure chelsea didnt give a crap in the final :rolleyes:

boovidge
20/05/2008, 8:43 PM
Against Brazil duff looked quite lively after he was taken from the RW (where he's completely useless) and caused some problems. Hopefully with a full pre season he can get back to full sharpness and be something like his former self.

paul_oshea
20/05/2008, 9:44 PM
did anyone see the lucozade test they did between The Gooch and Duffer, bad that an amateur who had been out boozing in chicago for the last 3 months, against a player at the end of season who should be fully fit, won 2 of the test out of 4......

irishfan86
20/05/2008, 9:56 PM
did anyone see the lucozade test they did between The Gooch and Duffer, bad that an amateur who had been out boozing in chicago for the last 3 months, against a player at the end of season who should be fully fit, won 2 of the test out of 4......

Talk about twisting things.

back of the net
20/05/2008, 10:35 PM
Good point. He was class against Slovakia.

that was over a year ago - since then he has had more injuries and is another year older

his performances on a football field be it for us / newcastle since then suggest that all the injuries have taken its toll on what was once a great player

the fact that a pathetic excuse for a football team are willing to sell him - does not bode well

everygame i have seen him play for newcastle - he has been brutal and the newcastle fans dont even want him there and have turned on him

against slovakia which was march 07 - he was very good in the first half and drifted out of the game in the second as slovakia got more into the game - very good is not class nor was he anywhere near the legendary duffer of old

as much as i hate to say it gents - those days may have past

jbyrne
21/05/2008, 8:06 AM

intercounty gaa players are amateur in name only. the training they do is on a par with pros. sure the gooch got beaten by some galway camogie player in some of those tests and i dont think he's finished!

lionelhutz
21/05/2008, 8:40 AM
Against Brazil duff looked quite lively after he was taken from the RW (where he's completely useless) and caused some problems. Hopefully with a full pre season he can get back to full sharpness and be something like his former self.

He was on the right in the 2nd half against the Czechs at home and he tore them apart (including creating the goal for Kilbane)

colster
21/05/2008, 11:00 AM
Duff was very rash to leave chelsea, he wasn't even a reserve there, just rotated. And Jose said he wanted him to stay. Unless he's changed since then he'll be doubly unhappy since Keegan took over.

http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=33930&highlight=Duff
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=29502&highlight=Duff
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=23137&highlight=Duff

Just did a search on Duff posts and his 'decline' started well before he left Chelsea.
I think we (me included) have over-rated Duff. He is a good dribbler and crosser but other than that is quite limited.

tetsujin1979
21/05/2008, 11:05 AM
Just did a search on Duff posts and his 'decline' started well before he left Chelsea.
I think we (me included) have over-rated Duff. He is a good dribbler and crosser but other than that is quite limited.
By that logic, Giggs, Robben, Milner, Hleb, etc are all over-rated

jmurphyc
21/05/2008, 11:09 AM

I don't think we overrated him. Mourinho clearly rated him, which IMO shows what a good player he is. I agree that he did kind of decline at Chelsea in the sense that he no longer played his natural game there and was too defensively aware. This may have suited Chelsea, but I don't think it suits us. If we want to qualify I hope Duff can get back to his attacking best and not worry so much about his defensive responsibility.

Noelys Guitar
21/05/2008, 11:09 AM
A big fan of Duff is Steve Bruce who is out in Portugal. Duff needs to be playing week in week out with a team that has a small squad under a manager that rates him. That means lower to mid Premiership sides like Wigan and Sunderland.

jbyrne
21/05/2008, 11:34 AM

dont think he was ever over-rated. had a great 2002 wc and got onto the uefa team of the year that season. his performance v spain was outstanding. he should go back to blackburn where he was at the time and was obviously at his happiest

shakermaker1982
21/05/2008, 12:15 PM
You cant compare the fanbase size of newcastle and tottenham. Newcastle have a very passionate local fanbase but outside Newcastle nothing. Tottenham as well as having the third biggest fanbase in london (after arsenal and man united!) have a huge global fanbase.

Newcastle havent won a trophy of merit since the fa cup in 1955 and havent won a league title in 80 years! Whereas tottenham are the only club that can match United in winning a trophy in each of the last 6 decades.
The league cup is only a mickey mouse cup when someone outside the top four wins it. sure chelsea didnt give a crap in the final :rolleyes:

Tottenham have a huge global fanbase? Where? They might have a few fans outside the UK but I imagine most PL clubs have supporters in Europe and the Far East. To counter Spur's superior FA Cup record i.e. 2 more FA cups, last one being when they beat Forest in the early 90s - the toon army have at least finished second (twice) in the PL since its conception and qualified for the CL. Overall I'd band the two clubs in the B grade category of PL clubs i.e. along with Aston Villa and Everton. The A graders being the big 4.

back of the net
21/05/2008, 1:07 PM
A big fan of Duff is Steve Bruce who is out in Portugal. Duff needs to be playing week in week out with a team that has a small squad under a manager that rates him. That means lower to mid Premiership sides like Wigan and Sunderland.

id agree noely with the above.

very sad though that a guy we all thought would have a world class career and had so much hope for , that we are associating with him being finished OR lower prem clubs like wigan/sunderland/newcastle

bloody injuries

eirebhoy
21/05/2008, 4:40 PM
Duff at his best was certainly one of the best dribblers in the world. If he lost possession he must have been fouled because it was almost impossible to win the ball off him. His close control was unreal. Messi-esque.

I don't think he's been the same player at club level since January '05. In his time at Chelsea, up until then he was easily one of their best players. I'd actually say he was their best player until he got injured in Ranieri's first season. For Ireland his performances have mainly been excellent even since his club form has dropped. The Irish know him inside out and he has nothing to prove to us and to the players mainly.

irishultra
21/05/2008, 6:06 PM
Duff at his best was certainly one of the best dribblers in the world. If he lost possession he must have been fouled because it was almost impossible to win the ball off him. His close control was unreal. Messi-esque.

I don't think he's been the same player at club level since January '05. In his time at Chelsea, up until then he was easily one of their best players. I'd actually say he was their best player until he got injured in Ranieri's first season. For Ireland his performances have mainly been excellent even since his club form has dropped. The Irish know him inside out and he has nothing to prove to us and to the players mainly.

Agree.

Emmet
21/05/2008, 11:23 PM
As much as I like Duff, he has not shown any real consistent form since 2002 when he was still at Blackburn. He has had a lot of injuries and those have undoubtedly affected him but how much have they affected him? I do have to wonder though if he will ever be able to recreate that form that got us all so excited back in 2002.

Irish_Praha
22/05/2008, 1:24 PM

I agree too. A few years ago you (EB) put together a compliation of Duff at his best which included, I think, mainly his last season at Blackburn his first season at Chelsea and some international footage. If anyone gets a chance to look at that you will get to see Duff scoring and setting up goals aplenty for Chealsea against the best teams in Europe in the Champions League, which was after he left Blackburn. Somewhere in the middle of his Chelsea career his form started to drop not as soon as he joined chelsea as is so often written on here. The fact that he continued to play well for Ireland would indicate it was as a result of the special one wanting him to play more defensively. However, his Newcastle nightmare can be put down to his injuries and only time will tell if he can turn it around.

Supreme feet
22/05/2008, 1:33 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/duff-turns-on-style-as-obrien-sinks-scolaris-menowar-273300.html

Worth remembering. It wasn't that long ago. Remember watching it, thinking that Duff was one of the best players I had ever seen.

Kerr has repeatedly pointed out that Ireland are no longer a "biff, bam, wallop" side.

Instead they are a cohesive hard-working unit, comfortable at playing the ball on the deck, with an excellent goalkeeper, solid back four, good front man and two amazing wingers whose technical ability meant they looked more Portuguese than the Portuguese themselves last night. Roll on Tel Aviv!

Then it all went wrong...

irishultra
22/05/2008, 1:35 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/duff-turns-on-style-as-obrien-sinks-scolaris-menowar-273300.html

Worth remembering. It wasn't that long ago. Remember watching it, thinking that Duff was one of the best players I had ever seen.

Was that the night they wore the black and white? Or was it the time we beat them 3-1?

Supreme feet
22/05/2008, 1:38 PM
The black-and-white game. I can't remember any 3-1 game... I know we lost 1-0 to them in '96 (Folha, 90th minute) and drew with them 1-1 twice in the 2002 WC qualifiers, but I can't remember any other meetings with Portugal.

irishultra
22/05/2008, 1:43 PM
The black-and-white game. I can't remember any 3-1 game... I know we lost 1-0 to them in '96 (Folha, 90th minute) and drew with them 1-1 twice in the 2002 WC qualifiers, but I can't remember any other meetings with Portugal.

Clinton Morrison scored that class goal? I'm probably getting it mixed up but I nearly swear they beat Portugal 3-1.

Supreme feet
22/05/2008, 1:50 PM
Clinton Morrison scored that class goal? I'm probably getting it mixed up but I nearly swear they beat Portugal 3-1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_national_football_team_-_Results_2000-09

You could be thinking about the Denmark game in 2002 when Duff was excellent. Morrison also scored a very good goal.

irishultra
22/05/2008, 1:56 PM
That is it....cheers......I just don't know where I'm getting the image of Victor Baia rushing out of his goal only to be lobbed brilliantly by Morrison.

But yeah its that game all right, because it was in the last minute.

6 years ago?? Jeez, time flies.

Supreme feet
22/05/2008, 2:03 PM
He did it against China and Australia too! Big fan of the lobs, our Clinton.

tetsujin1979
22/05/2008, 2:21 PM
Was that the night they wore the black and white? Or was it the time we beat them 3-1?
We won 1-0. Andy O'Brien scored and was awarded MOTM

That is it....cheers......I just don't know where I'm getting the image of Victor Baia rushing out of his goal only to be lobbed brilliantly by Morrison.

But yeah its that game all right, because it was in the last minute.

6 years ago?? Jeez, time flies.
sounds like the 1-0 China game, keeper came rushing out at Clinton, he calmly curved the ball around him into the back of the net.
Best thing about that game. By a distance

Supreme feet
22/05/2008, 2:32 PM
sounds like the 1-0 China game, keeper came rushing out at Clinton, he calmly curved the ball around him into the back of the net.
Best thing about that game. By a distance

Shocking game. What I remember from it was Roy Keane coming on as a sub (possibly the only time he ever did so for Ireland) and running into a hapless Chinese defender, who had to be stretchered off. Quite amusing. Off topic I know...

jmurphyc
22/05/2008, 3:05 PM
Shocking game. What I remember from it was Roy Keane coming on as a sub (possibly the only time he ever did so for Ireland) and running into a hapless Chinese defender, who had to be stretchered off. Quite amusing. Off topic I know...

Yeah, I was also raging that Kerr didn't bring on McGeady in that game. I remember that after the Israel game he was taken out of the U21s so that he could be in the senior squad so I was really expecting him to play a part in the game.

back of the net
22/05/2008, 8:46 PM
i dont think there ever was a 3-1 , not in recent times btwn us and portugal - the last time i can remember 3 goals scored in game between us was in 1995 - the euro 96 qualifiers - last group game - horrible wet night - we lost 3-0

ur right about the black and white in 2005- it was a horrible wet february evening and i remember duff and ronaldo kept squaring up to each other due to the chelsea vs man utd rivalry at the time - sheasie who knew both well kept having to act as a peacemaker btwn them - was very funny

Paulie Bleecker
23/05/2008, 11:13 AM

One of the things the Gooch won was hitting the ball harder. He hit a GAA ball 100kph to Duffer hitting a soccer ball 96kph. Considering the Gooch is known to be a smashing striker of the ball and Duffer isn't your point is barely relevant.

Also, he didn't beat him in two, he beat him in just that one. Duff is quicker, has better hand-eye co-ordination and jumps higher. That to me would indicate the lad's getting back to full fitness.

Also, how do you reckon a lad at the end of the season should be fitter than a guy who's been in Chicago for three months? Surely a seasons football would have taken it out of Duff?