PDA

View Full Version : FC Tirol v Lokomotiv Moscow

JC_GUFC
29/08/2001, 5:32 PM
Just something I saw - the 2nd leg of this tie is being replayed because in the game the referee, Mario van der Ende, booked a player for the 2nd time but mistook him for someone else and didn't send him off.

FC Tirol protested and used video evidence to show that Moscow should have in fact played the last 30 minutes with 10 men.

I think it sets a dangerous precedent to have the game replayed - it was a refereeing error and that should be that - what happens when someone can prove with video evidence that they should have had a penalty kick in a match but the referee didn't spot it - or proves that an incident should have been a sending off instead of simply a booking?

CU
JC

joe
29/08/2001, 6:11 PM
if we replayed every match in the eL that had a bot dodgy refereeing then the season would never end.

pete
29/08/2001, 6:28 PM
Definitely a precedent there that i'm sure some eL club might be able to take advantage of some time.

Whatever ya do don't mention to Ollie Byrne as the rate $hels are going there'll surely be a chance to try it on! Then again theres usually no much confusion as its always the same $hels player doing the kung fu stuff ;)

joe
29/08/2001, 11:12 PM
where are they going to get 'video evidence'. not all grounds have cctv installed have they?

Jack_2001
07/09/2001, 12:07 AM
Just a little background on Mario Van der Ende...

He looks dozy, but in the past he's gotten some important games... he refereed the Ireland - Italy match in 1994, and I think we got more than our fair share in that game, suggesting that he favours the underdogs, he refereed the Ireland - Northern Ireland match at Lansdowne road a year later (1-1 N. Quinn I. Dowie) and the thing I remember most from that match was that every time Paul McGrath won a header he gave a free against him, again suggesting that he favours the underdogs, and the other big match I've seen him referee was the Italy - England match in 1997 (Rome, 0-0, Italy should have won) where again he seemed to give a lot to England....

Just in case anyone wanted to know