The Lilywhites
19/05/2008, 11:19 AM
DUNDALK FOOTBALL CLUB
PRESS RELEASE

Monday 19 May, 2008

DUNDALK FC -v- LONGFORD TOWN
2008 First Division - Series 12
(Oriel Park, Tuesday 20 May, 7.45pm)

Title favourites Dundalk will be looking to keep the pressure on Shelbourne at the top of the eircom League of Ireland First Division table this Tuesday evening, when they entertain Longford Town in a league fixture at Oriel Park (kick-off 7.45pm) for the first time in over six years. The Lilywhites were knocked off their perch at the summit by Shelbourne on Friday night, after the Reds took full advantage of Dundalk’s annual struggle in Gortakeegan.

The Oriel Park outfit were unable to find a way past their local rivals, Monaghan, in a 0-0 draw, and, as a result, fell behind Shels on goal difference. With the Mons now travelling to Tolka Park at the same time as Longford visit Dundalk, it is unlikely that the leading order will be altered by the end of play on Tuesday. However, in his programme notes for the game, manager John Gill says he will be more than pleased with that outcome.

“It’s imperative that we get back to winning ways, and keep pace at the top of the table. With this match comes the end of the first third of the season, and if we finish the night where we started it, I’ll be happy with that, and I would have taken it at the start of the year,” he wrote.

Dundalk Team News: John Gill is able to welcome back his regular central midfield pairing of David Cassidy and Paul Shiels, after the duo missed the weekend draw in Monaghan through suspension. Striker Robbie Martin, who entered as a last minute substitute on Friday after missing the previous four games, should now be able to play a bigger part against his ex-club. Meanwhile, right-back John Flanagan trained on Sunday morning after going for a scan on an ankle injury on Friday evening, however, it is not yet known if he will make a return to the team-sheet here.

Press Office,
Dundalk Football Club.

For anyone travelling up, the preview of the Matchday Magazine is at: http://www.dundalkfc.com/news/080519_Longford.asp

Martinho II
19/05/2008, 8:48 PM
cant wait to see the match programme looks very promisin.. anyone from foot.ie goin up??

Rocky77
20/05/2008, 12:10 AM
Aye...

Martinho II
20/05/2008, 2:31 PM
grand see u there rocky 77... will give u a shout on the way up...

Rocky77
21/05/2008, 10:54 AM
Good performance, good point - I'd definitely have taken 0-0 on the way up.

Neil Gallagher was outstanding, Shay is going to have to work to get his place back in honesty. Andy Bermingham again was solid and a special word for Daire Doyle who worked really hard and gave a good account of himself after being restored to the team. Hopefully he can kick on from here for his and our sake.

Maz
21/05/2008, 11:00 AM
Very good result for us last night. Did Daire wear the captains armband last night? Good to hear he has lifted his game, hope he keeps it going for the rest of the season!

Rocky77
21/05/2008, 11:15 AM
No, Ronan Frawley was skipper

LTFCfan
21/05/2008, 11:44 AM
No, Ronan Frawley was skipper

Is this because of issues relating to Doyle? I heard some bad rumors about the behaviour of some of the lads, I hope its not true. Whats the story?

Great to get a point from Dundalk, takes the sting out of the waterford game a little. Is McKenna back fit now?

Martinho II
21/05/2008, 5:42 PM
yep mckenna back fit..daire doyle was so unlucky not to score twice. one freekick narrowly skimmed past the post.. for a big man he doesnt go for headers...defensively we were so well organised... very happy with the result my faith has bein restored...:)

Martinho II
21/05/2008, 5:51 PM
speakin of da devil last nite I spoke to shay kelly hes back in physiotherapy three times a week.. progress bit slow hes hopin to make a comeback for the pats cup match! he seems very optimistic of our chances too.. spoke to a dundalk official thats originally from longford and he rates aaron extremely highly from his time with them!