PDA

View Full Version : Interviews...I need some legal info...

thischarmingman
18/05/2008, 3:57 PM
Any experts in workplace law around? I have a job interview for a job next week (in Derry). I won't be able to make it because I'm doing my finals this week (in Dublin) and I have an exam that day. I offered to travel up the following day instead and do it even though this would put me out quite a lot, but they refuse to allow me to do it any day but the original one. :(

Do I have any legal right to request that I be given a choice of days/times or is it just hard luck?

lofty9
18/05/2008, 7:54 PM
It's up to the employers discretion. You really have a valid reason. Most employers would understand that. We rescheduled someone's interview a few weeks back (away on a holiday) and she ended up getting the job. Sometimes it proves to be costly to some private employers to reschedule and they generally don't. If its a public body then put a formal request in writing, or a letter of complaint.

SkStu
18/05/2008, 8:11 PM
Any experts in workplace law around? I have a job interview for a job next week (in Derry). I won't be able to make it because I'm doing my finals this week (in Dublin) and I have an exam that day. I offered to travel up the following day instead and do it even though this would put me out quite a lot, but they refuse to allow me to do it any day but the original one. :(

Do I have any legal right to request that I be given a choice of days/times or is it just hard luck?

lofty is right as far as im aware. Labour law wouldnt cover something like this. Though its terrible form from this employer - would you want to work for a company this unsympathetic and anal anyway?

Send off a complaint to the HR director if you think you should but dont bother yourself too much over it.

Their loss.

thischarmingman
18/05/2008, 8:20 PM
If its a public body then put a formal request in writing, or a letter of complaint.
It is and I may well do the latter.

Send off a complaint to the HR director if you think you should but dont bother yourself too much over it.

Their loss.
That's true! Thanks for the advice lads.

Love how you can always rely on someone being able to answer any query you have on this forum! :)

paul_oshea
18/05/2008, 9:35 PM
the question ye need to ask, though i know getting training with a firm is tough, but would you really want to work for someone who was being as awkward as this? i mean if you told them the reason and they wont change then they aint worth working for.

oldyouth
18/05/2008, 9:37 PM
Let it pass. You never know when you might want to apply to these people again and you don't want to **** them off. If you fought and got an alternative date, you won't get the job anyway (not saying you wouldn't be the best candidate)

Macy
19/05/2008, 7:43 AM
If the company/ organisation is quite large, I wouldn't necessarily judge it based on the HR function.

paul_oshea
19/05/2008, 8:55 AM
actually thats exactly how i would, you'd think thats where they would have everything functioning correctly to ensure they attract the best.

Macy
19/05/2008, 9:16 AM
It's more important what your individual manager is like in a large organisation. It's a first impression and first point of contact, especially in larger orgs and if you're only going in as a graduate.

thischarmingman should put the request in writing, and I'd actually be surprised if he doesn't get another date.

pete
19/05/2008, 12:16 PM

Can't see how you would have legal right. Would be amazed if this is anything other than employer discretion. It they can't do it another day just leave it go. At least you told them you could not make it on the arranged date so might have a chance to apply at later date