PDA

View Full Version : Ireland 1 Portimonese 1

tetsujin1979
18/05/2008, 1:55 PM
Andy Keogh scored his first goal for Ireland in the practise game against local side Portimonese, with a host of players making their first senior appearance in green, along with the return of Dean Kiely: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3183&Itemid=9

superfrank
18/05/2008, 1:57 PM
Will that count as a "real" goal for Keogh?

ifk101
18/05/2008, 2:04 PM
I see he subbed every player except those playing in the back four.

zenokelly
18/05/2008, 2:08 PM
It was interesting to see that Foley and Garvan were the only players not to get a run.(presuming they're still there!)

The centre defence is horrifying. I don't rate Alex Bruce at all. A poor man's Paul McShane in my opinion. It's just a pity that his father didn't declare for us as well!

Really the result doesn't matter but you would've expected us to have beaten a local side.

Charles Bronson
18/05/2008, 3:12 PM
Agreed , training game or not , a 1 all draw againast the local postmen or whatever isn't really the most encouraging result.

SwanVsDalton
18/05/2008, 3:31 PM
The side should've been good enough to win handy. Trap didn't seem too happy during the game by all accounts, be interesting to see what changes tomorrow.

dancinpants
18/05/2008, 4:42 PM
The side should've been good enough to win handy. Trap didn't seem too happy during the game by all accounts, be interesting to see what changes tomorrow.

S v D, thats not the same Portuguese side Derry beat 4-1 a couple of years ago is it in a preseason match? :confused:

amaccann
18/05/2008, 4:58 PM
This match meant nothing to both sides; they talk about meaningless friendlies? This would have been below that level. I wouldn't read anything into this beyond the first chance for Trap to see some of his players in action.

rambler14
18/05/2008, 5:03 PM
Poor result but in fairness it was a young team and I doubt that Damien Duff was an influential captain based on his current or should I say lack of current form.

Jicked
18/05/2008, 5:22 PM
I'd be fairly sure that this was just a case of keeping the players who's season finished a few weeks ago fit, rather than actually having them looking to break sweat.
And no, it won't count as a "proper" goal for Keogh, nor will Scannell et al be considered capped.

rambler14
18/05/2008, 5:28 PM
Hardly a game to be taken notice of when considering that they didn't even wear the proper jersey's. Last time they wore the Eircom logo on the jersey it was Niall Quinn's testimonial!

dancinpants
18/05/2008, 8:36 PM
If it wasn't such a big deal why was Trap losin' the head on the sidelines then? :confused:

SkStu
18/05/2008, 8:47 PM
totally agree DancinPants.

professional footballers (and managers) want to win every game regardless of the quality of the opposition. This is a poor result no matter what spin anyone puts on it.

The real signs of whether we are entering a new era or not will be from the performances against Serbia and Colombia though. The performances will be more important than the results imo.

shakermaker1982
18/05/2008, 9:14 PM
lads we had a centre back pairing of Bruce and McShane - To get a draw is a brilliant result!!!!

dr_peepee
18/05/2008, 9:18 PM
Jayzus... I've been a staunch defender of McShane..... but that partnership has me p!ssing out of my @rse....

gustavo
18/05/2008, 9:26 PM
The real signs of whether we are entering a new era or not will be from the performances against Serbia and Colombia though. The performances will be more important than the results imo.

Not as such , Don't forget Stans first match against Sweden , A bit of a false dawn really

stojkovic
18/05/2008, 9:45 PM
Not as such , Don't forget Stans first match against Sweden , A bit of a false dawn really

I was just gonna say that.

Wangball
18/05/2008, 9:48 PM
If it wasn't such a big deal why was Trap losin' the head on the sidelines then? :confused:

Because he likes to win

Qwerty
18/05/2008, 11:12 PM
The only results that count are those in competitive games, we take friendlies a bit too seriously and get a little carried away with some of the 'excellent' results we have had in friendlies.

Trap has a major job on hands, we lack depth everywhere, lots of numbers but little quality. Stepehen Hunt was the 3rd best Irish performer in the EPL, do I need to say more?

We desperately need Finnan & O'Brien to come back for the next campaign. We desperatly need Andy Reid to stay fit. We desperately need Duff and Doyle back on form.

stojkovic
18/05/2008, 11:17 PM
And Shay Given.

Jicked
18/05/2008, 11:38 PM
Lads it wasn't even a friendly, it was a training match. Trap would be doing his nut if it was a five a side and someone doesn't do what they're told. The result of this match means absolutely nothing whatsoever.

gilberto_eire
18/05/2008, 11:54 PM
Who the hell are Portimonese?

I just googled them there and nothing came up bar info' about this game and pictures of a ground on flickr

cheifo
19/05/2008, 12:48 AM
How come Delaney played for us considering play off final is coming up?

SkStu
19/05/2008, 2:10 AM

yes, youre right of course. i more meant that the attitude, performance and style of play should tell us whether the players are buying into Traps ideas or not. C'mon, you know what im getting at!! :D

theworm2345
19/05/2008, 3:21 AM
Hardly a game to be taken notice of when considering that they didn't even wear the proper jersey's. Last time they wore the Eircom logo on the jersey it was Niall Quinn's testimonial!
David Connolly scored in that game :D

But ignore that last comment, it was certainly a bit hard to see from that camera, but didn't Keogh's goal look remarkably similar to Ronnie Whelan's against the USSR (obviously it was from the other foot and not from a throw, but still)?

Who the hell are Portimonese?

I just googled them there and nothing came up bar info' about this game and pictures of a ground on flickr
Really? They have a Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portimonense_S.C.

One of their players is Oumar Tchomogo, Rommy Boco's teammate on Benin and I believe is one of Benin's best players (I could be mistaken but he may be their alltime top scorer, certainly top scorer in their last round of qualifiers). Point is hes not a bad player, perhaps just getting on in age

I too was surprised to find out he no longer plays at Hull. He plays for QPR now

OwlsFan
19/05/2008, 7:21 AM
Funny quote by Trappatoni from the game:

"For example, a player is looking down at the ground and I shout, "Turn and look a the ball. There isn't money on the pitch. Keep your eyes on the ball".

'You can improve your position immediately if you keep your eye on the ball. What is there to look at on the pitch? Grass. It's a habit. I get animated because I want to help them and I want to win.'

Superhoops
19/05/2008, 7:31 AM

I too was surprised to find out he no longer plays at Hull. He plays for QPR now

Do you guys really follow Irish football and the fortunes of the players? :confused:

Delaney transferred to QPR in January this year and has been getting regular mentions because of good performances.He has also been discussed in several posts on here, especially those about Trap's first squad.

Wolfie
19/05/2008, 7:36 AM
I was thinking the only real benefit of this game may have been an opportunity for Garvan and Whelan to impress. Garvan didn't even get on the pitch.

Difficult to find any short term benefits of these games if the majority of those that will figure in the Autumn aren't even there.

amaccann
19/05/2008, 7:55 AM

"For example, a player is looking down at the ground and I shout, "Turn and look a the ball. There isn't money on the pitch. Keep your eyes on the ball".

'You can improve your position immediately if you keep your eye on the ball. What is there to look at on the pitch? Grass. It's a habit. I get animated because I want to help them and I want to win.'
Man you just gotta love the guy already. However the era turns out, his soundbites will be a treasure.

tetsujin1979
19/05/2008, 9:17 AM
I was thinking the only real benefit of this game may have been an opportunity for Garvan and Whelan to impress. Garvan didn't even get on the pitch.Garvan, Kelly and Westwood should play against Lagos tonight

cheifo
19/05/2008, 10:24 AM
Whoops, forgot Delaney had gone to QPR.Thinking about it,Loftus RD would be a good place for Stokes to get back in the groove.

theworm2345
19/05/2008, 1:18 PM
Garvan, Kelly and Westwood should play against Lagos tonight

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagos,_Portugal

http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clube_Futebol_Esperan%C3%A7a_de_Lagos

http://esperancadelagos.pt/

This is most of the info I could find

JimmyP
19/05/2008, 1:20 PM
From what I'm reading of Trapp's comments, he is being very specific and outspoken of what the players are doing wrong and what action needs to be taken - to hear that already is quite refreshing and encouraging.

paul_oshea
19/05/2008, 3:03 PM

hmmm owlsfan that was the exact quote i sent to a load of lads on an email......

jmurphyc
19/05/2008, 3:08 PM
I'm not reading a thing in to these results, nor will I be reading very much into the two coming internationals. There are plenty of instances of club sides having totally different fortunes in pre-season and then in the coming season. Even if we lose 4-0 against Colombia I wouldn't read too much into it.

As for the Sweden game being a promising start to Staunton's regime - which it undoubtedly was - at the game I remember turning to a friend and saying that the defence looks a bit shaky (particularly at set pieces) and needs to be worked on a lot. We all know what happened later in the campaign.

Greenforever
19/05/2008, 3:14 PM
I'm not reading a thing in to these results, nor will I be reading very much into the two coming internationals. There are plenty of instances of club sides having totally different fortunes in pre-season and then in the coming season. Even if we lose 4-0 against Colombia I wouldn't read too much into it.

As for the Sweden game being a promising start to Staunton's regime - which it undoubtedly was - at the game I remember turning to a friend and saying that the defence looks a bit shaky (particularly at set pieces) and needs to be worked on a lot. We all know what happened later in the campaign.

And a fantastic night in Aarhus beating the Danes 4-0 couned for sweet F*** all just 2 weeks later.

Mind you it was good to see them win away:D

carloz
19/05/2008, 3:41 PM
From what I'm reading of Trapp's comments, he is being very specific and outspoken of what the players are doing wrong and what action needs to be taken - to hear that already is quite refreshing and encouraging.

He is really emphasising the little things that we are doing wrong. He said that after watching the DVDs of us he was very surprised how many of our goals conceded come from throw ins that we actually had. He has a good eye for little important details

elroy
19/05/2008, 6:15 PM
what time is the game on today at?