PDA

View Full Version : UCD 0-1 Galway

DmanDmythDledge
18/05/2008, 12:00 PM
Well, where to start. At least the performance was an improvement on recent weeks but the luck that we got in those games was not there Friday night.

Good to see Reilly get a chance to impress. Showed some neat footwork but the ball kept getting stuck under his feet, which may have been the pitch's fault though. Has done enough to warrant a starting place on the wing ahead of Podge and Doyle anyway. Doyle was anonymous again, although Timmy was hardly going to be a better option on the left. Podge looked better upfront but should have switched with Timmy in the second half. Byrne contributed hardly anything again and should be dropped.

Defence was fine. McMillan slotted in well, but it was a poor decision to play Kenna when carrying such an injury. He'll probably be out for a while now. Midfield was a bit quiet- Deegan won the midfield battle for them and ultimately that was what gave them control of the game until they sat back late in the game.

Cobh at home to Harps next week which means we will likely be in the relegation zone next weekend, unless we can turn around our form and get a win in the Brandywell. Déjà vu? (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=71658):)

pineapple stu
18/05/2008, 12:05 PM
Pitch is improving, but is still awful. Two points at home and six away. If we get that fixed, we'll be much better. I think we'll get a point in Derry.

pineapple stu
18/05/2008, 12:45 PM
Derek Glynn was again UCD's bogey man as his second half goal gave Galway their first win of the season, and left UCD still search for a first league win at their new ground. Glynn scored in a 2-2 draw in Belfield last season before notching the winner in the last game of the season in Terryland and although the goals have generally dried up for him after scoring six times in his first three games for the Tribesmen, it seems his knack against the Students hasn't gone anywhere.

Conor Kenna passed a fitness test and took his place alongside Alan McNally in defence; John Reilly came in for his first league start in place of the suspended Brian Shortall. However, UCD were forced into a reshuffle just nine minutes in. Derek Glynn cut in across the by-line, but Conor Kenna cleared out for a corner. His momentum took him into Glynn and aggrivated the hip injury which had casued him to be subbed off for Ireland's U-23s on Tuesday. Evan McMillan took his place.

At this early stage, UCD were almost 1-0 up, when Paul Byrne's header put Pat McWalter through on goal, but the linesman called him back for a narrow offside. And on 17 minutes, Brian King's overhead kick forced Gary Rogers into a superb save; the corner was headed off the line, and only just cleared the bar, landing on the roof of the net. Four minutes later, UCD had a strong penalty claim when McWalter broke forward and Mark McCullough appeared to block with his hand. Despite loud protests from the players, the referee wasn't interested.

At this stage, the game was largely one-way, and it looked as if Galway's poor league form would be continuing. But they dragged themselves back into the match and had two great opportunities to score in the next ten minutes. First, a cross from the left was completely missed by McNally, but fortunately also by Mark Leech, eight yards out and unmarked in the centre of goal. Then, an error in the UCD defence forced Matt Gregg off his line to clear, but the ball came out to Leech, and with Gregg way out of position, he fired wide.

The next chance came on 31 minutes. A slip in the Galway defence let in McWalter, but his shot was deflected wide for a corner, the Students' sixth of the game at that stage. But at half time, the game was still level enough, with UCD looking more solid in defence, but Galway looking sharper up front. To change that, Pete Mahon brought on Timmy Purcell for Derek Doyle at half time, but it was Galway who took the lead within five minutes.

The move started with a UCD attack. A deep ball into the box from Purcell was looped back across by Paul Byrne, and Brian King's powerful header was touched around the post by Rogers. From the corner, Galway cleared, Ronan Finn slipped and Glynn was through with only Alan McNally and Matt Gregg to beat; he duly managed this, finishing with a nice low shot into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

UCD were stung by this - Paul Byrne fired a shot on the turn straight at Rogers in a crowded box - but Galway carved out the better chances. Alan McNally threw himself in front of Derek Glynn' shot from 12 yards to deflect it away, while two minutes later, a glancing header went flying across the face of Matt Gregg's goal.

It was notable that, for all the chances Galway created, Gregg was very rarely troubled. His counterpart, on the other hand, pulled off several fine saves in the match, particularly in the last ten minutes as UCD really started to dominate. First, John Reilly fired a shot in from a narrow angle, but Rogers was down at his near post to save. Two minutes later, Matt Gregg saved with his feet from Jay O'Shea - his only save of the match - before the action reverted to the other end; Paul Byrne forcing another save from Rogers, before the chance of the match when Ronan Finn found himself in acres of space ten yards out, but his first-time shot was well saved by Rogers.

All in all, a case of "Same old, same old" for UCD, who have now scored just three goals in eight games after managing four in the opening two. Results elsewhere mean they stat ninth in the table and safe, but with Bray and Harps the next two visitors to Belfield, goals and points are becoming fast needed.

UCD - Gregg; Mahon, Bermingham, Kenna (McMillan 9), McNally; Finn, King, Doyle (Purcell 45), Reilly (Bolger 82); McWalter, Byrne. Subs not used - Brennan, AN Other.

Att - 395

DmanDmythDledge
18/05/2008, 1:09 PM
Harding was the other sub.

Poor Student
18/05/2008, 2:28 PM
Not a good performance at all. Don't think it was a good idea to go 4-5-1 at home to Galway. We found it very hard to create up front and advance forwards in the last third. Down the wings we were very uncreative, totally lacked ideas or penetration. Gregg, the defence and the central midfield were solid enough but attacking wise apart from the final flourish it was very disappointing. I'm hoping that when McFaul comes back it will allow King to move to right wing.

DmanDmythDledge
18/05/2008, 2:56 PM
Don't think it was a good idea to go 4-5-1 at home to Galway.
We were playing 4-4-2, Podge was upfront.

WoodquayBoy
18/05/2008, 10:05 PM
Apart from the obvious answer, why was Alan Mahon playing? Are ye that stuck for a right back?

pineapple stu
18/05/2008, 10:09 PM
Interesting question which will get a few different answers!

He was singled out for praise by a couple of Cobh fans I was talking to a couple of weeks ago. He was on our All-Time XI in the programme a couple of years back. Slower now, but still a solid player on his day. I couldn't tell you who else we've played at right back, to be honest. Bugger all frst-team experience going by way of a replacement (not that that's ever stopped us before)

As a counter question, can I ask why Wes Charles was playing for youz? ;) Worst player in the Premier by a distance.

MyTown
18/05/2008, 10:21 PM
Derek Glynn was again UCD's bogey man as his second half goal gave Galway their first win of the season, and left UCD still search for a first league win at their new ground. Glynn scored a 93rd minute equaliser in Belfield last season before notching the winner in the last game of the season in Terryland and although the goals have generally dried up for him after scoring six times in his first three games for the Tribesmen, it seems his knack against the Students hasn't gone anywhere.

I hope the students will excuse a bit of pedantry, but it was Stephen O'Flynn who headed the last minute equaliser on our last visit to the 'old' Belfield. DG scored the opener in that fixture after about 3 minutes or so.

pineapple stu
18/05/2008, 10:27 PM
Was it? Good spot; cheers. Changed now.

On the subject of pedantry, why the inverted commas around "old"?

WoodquayBoy
19/05/2008, 7:27 AM
As a counter question, can I ask why Wes Charles was playing for youz? ;) Worst player in the Premier by a distance.
Simple, John Lester is injured. Regi Nooitmeer is an option there, but then Alan Keane (fullback) is also injured, so we are restricted with our options, but I do agree with you, wouldn't have him in my starting XI. And to think he was actually our captain last season!

Schumi
19/05/2008, 9:04 AM
I couldn't tell you who else we've played at right back, to be honest. Bugger all frst-team experience going by way of a replacement (not that that's ever stopped us before).That guy Harding was right back in the league cup wasn't he? He looked quite good against Pats in the league when he came on I thought (I think it was the Pats game he played anyway).

gufct
19/05/2008, 10:41 AM
Was it? Good spot; cheers. Changed now.

On the subject of pedantry, why the inverted commas around "old"?

Wes has been one of our best players since he came back in and according to GBFM was winning a lot of Ball on Friday night.

pineapple stu
19/05/2008, 4:14 PM
He wins ball at times alright. But he has absolutely zero ability on it. All he does is get in the way and wallop the ball as far away as possible. Fair enough if you're happy with that; just thought the league had moved on from that sort of stuff.

DmanDmythDledge
19/05/2008, 4:52 PM
I couldn't tell you who else we've played at right back, to be honest. Bugger all frst-team experience going by way of a replacement (not that that's ever stopped us before)
Pat Sullivan is the only player recently to get a run of games at right back.

John83
19/05/2008, 6:26 PM
Pat Sullivan is the only player recently to get a run of games at right back.
Kenna and Gannon both played there a little, but Sulli probably played many more games there then either of them. Oh, and let's not forget Hopper.