PDA

View Full Version : In the name of the Fada

paul_oshea
16/05/2008, 9:57 AM
Just watched all this on RTE online last night ( RTE really becoming a class interactive multimedia site and must be appluaded on this especially with the gaelic and EL shown live worldwide now too) and have to say it was one of the best series( docu-drama or whatever they are now called ) I have seen on tele in a long time, personally that is. Thought Des Bishop did a great job, and though I thought his pronounciation on his website was terrible ( and Ive certainly got no blás ) in the show it was very good. There must have been some serious editing going on to cut-down the 9 months into 6 half hour shows.....

Highlights of the show were, the burren ( that gobsh1te in the crowd ), Joe Thomas story about the grass, the Galway fella saying "that black lad was sound" in irish that was probably my favourite bit, awful funny and the guy sitting on the bench during the match with him and saying "its like french", and des bishop just looking at him as if to say "Are you serious?!" :D

jebus
16/05/2008, 12:44 PM
I liked the show, particularly hearing Jump Around in Irish :D

bellavistaman
16/05/2008, 12:58 PM
thought it was very good, the man has more pride in the language than the majority of the country.

paul_oshea
16/05/2008, 1:11 PM
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=vHqieEXyJdk&feature=user

KevB76
16/05/2008, 4:53 PM
I liked the show, particularly hearing Jump Around in Irish :D

That had the potential to be very very lame but he made a great job of it, absolutely quality :D

strangeirish
17/05/2008, 4:06 AM
Just finished watching it, and thought it was brilliant. Brought back loads of memories of being in the Gaeltacht as a kid. Went to that school where he took his 'foundation level exam'. I think it may be in Béal an Daingean.

How about the Korean lad in New York yappin' away as gaeilge. His pronunciation was excellent.

Load of funny parts in the series, but what had me laughing me arse off was when he was playing gaa and got decked. He jumps right back up and knees yer man up the hole, nearly making his head pop off his neck.:D

inexile
18/05/2008, 1:16 PM
didnt see a bit of this lads, any idea where i could see it now?

strangeirish
18/05/2008, 2:18 PM
didnt see a bit of this lads, any idea where i could see it now?
Here you go man...
http://www.rte.ie/tv/inthenameofthefada/watchtheshow.html

Enjoy!

inexile
18/05/2008, 5:45 PM
thanks strange, that will keep me going for the night

paul_oshea
18/05/2008, 9:54 PM
SI did you watch it after me posting up? good man i found that awful funny too, it shows that anyone could get thick in a game like that where a tackle comes in late and restraining yerself was difficult, its funny though because of his "lack of experience" of playing gaelic he didnt really know what to do after getting the shoulder, and kneeing him in the arse was really funny if almost childish, but yet it was a good aul knee. the fella didnt do anything. I would have thought there would have been a bit more of that on him with thick country fellas going "ill show that des bishop fella". It was funny how he could sum up the junior c championship too, 40 year old fellas lamping the quick young nippy forwards. that korean fella is a legend in fairness, he only started learning 2 years ago. if anyone ever meets him over there they will have great craic with him :D wonder how they arranged that meet up with the fella.

colaiste lurgan is where yer on about, thats where everyone from home used to go to the gaelteacht too.

Wangball
18/05/2008, 10:07 PM
I really really cannot stand Des Bishop, I just don't think he's funny at all so couldn't watch that program, hearing his voice makes me cringe

strangeirish
18/05/2008, 11:10 PM
SI did you watch it after me posting up?..

...colaiste lurgan is where yer on about, thats where everyone from home used to go to the gaelteacht too.
I did indeed Paul and fair play. Colaiste Lurgan is where he is talking in one of the episodes, where the bus is in the background and they're playing volleyball in front of the school. I'm pretty sure where he took the exam is the Béal an Daingean school though. I remember the pre-fabs in the back, because that's where our classes were held, even way back then. All the kids from non farming backgrounds went to An Cheathrú Rua and Béal an Daingean. All others to Lurgan or An Spidéal...:D Good times.

ifk101
19/05/2008, 11:13 AM
I watched it over the weekend as well after your tip Paul. Yeah the sly knee in the arse was a classic moment :D.

I couldn't make out what your man in the crowd was saying when he did the gig in Boston. What was he giving out about?

Overall though it left me feeling a bit embarassed and sad when I think of my own Irish language skills.

paul_oshea
19/05/2008, 1:30 PM
I couldn't make out what your man in the crowd was saying when he did the gig in Boston. What was he giving out about?

Overall though it left me feeling a bit embarassed and sad when I think of my own Irish language skills.

Ya it left me feeling the same way re: your irish skills. :D I think that was the idea though, thought provoking and thats what he wanted. Hopefully it left a few more who might now try and learn it properly. I have to agree with the galway fella, away from home it would be great to speak it to lads, the comment he said "i always said irish is handy" when on the subway in NY. I know a few lads over here that are fluent and from gaelteacht areas ( from donegal ) but they dont speak it to eachother when out, whereas lads i knew from carraroe would always speak to eachother in irish when in dublin. Sad really if I could i would be speaking it when i could..

That gobsheen was from clare, and though i missed the first part as well, the second part was, "what are you doing speaking irish, where are you from?!" and bishop just said back new york where are you from?! and yer man said "clare" and bishop replies, "exactly", bishop seemed rattled but the crowd were on his side and laughing with him. Yer man was an eejit of the highest order.

have they started playing the songs in pubs/clubs yet/now?!

Red&White Rover
20/05/2008, 8:20 PM
Was in Coláiste Lurgan when they were filming this...

Bishop was actually a really sound fella, not up his hole as ya might think he could be. Genuinely interested in learning the language, and a good laugh himself...

Saw me wearing my Rovers jersey, and laughed and said Cork City were miles better, so all I went was 4-1, as gaeilige of course...put him in his box;)

Flawless
20/05/2008, 10:54 PM
Great effort, i think its funny the little amount of Gaelige spoken in the thread though!

Déanagí iarracht lads, Ní raibh mé riamh i gColáiste Lurgan, ach bhí chuid de mo chairde ann agus ní raibh ach dea ruda íle rá acu faoi. Chuaigh mé féin chuig Coláiste Bhríde i Rann na Feirste, Co. Dun na nGall, gach samhradh ar feadh ceithre bliana nuair a bhí me níos oíge, agus ba iad na samhraidh ba dheis a bhí agam riamh!, Fair Play Des, agus maith an fear as an iarracht..

Great Show, and a good plug for the language aswell!

noby
21/05/2008, 7:37 AM
Great effort, i think its funny the little amount of Gaelige spoken in the thread though!

I can speak it ( get by), but I can't write it.

It did make a lot of people think about their own level of Irish, which is a good thing. Some people reacted to this by being offended - typical guilt reaction I suppose.
Sure, not all of us can take a year out to go live with a family in Connemara, for total immersion into the language, but I would reckon a few people signed up to evening classes after seeing it.

bennocelt
21/05/2008, 5:54 PM
Sthat korean fella is a legend in fairness, he only started learning 2 years ago. if anyone ever meets him over there they will have great craic with him :D wonder how they arranged that meet up with the fella.

heh man im interested in this Korea guy, whats his story:)

EAFC_rdfl
22/05/2008, 2:58 PM
heh man im interested in this Korea guy, whats his story:)
An fear as Korea? Fuair se CD-ROM 'teach yourself Irish' agus i gceann cupla blain bhi gaelige den scoth aige. nuair a chuaigh Des amuigh go dti an Nua Eabhrac bhi an beirt acu ag caint gaelige i Times Square. Ansin dean an fear as Korea amhran 'rap' as gaelige agus bhi se go h-iontach. An-craic ar fad!!

paul_oshea
22/05/2008, 3:39 PM
maybe an irish thread should start?! help the dunces like me out!

D.U.F.C Daire
22/05/2008, 3:48 PM
A pat on the back to whoever can spot the eircom League player in the crowd in one of his shows in the US.

Block G Raptor
22/05/2008, 3:52 PM
maybe an irish thread should start?! help the dunces like me out!

Brilliant Idea. I'd love something like that. Any of you Gaelgor's care to volunteer to teach us Amadan's a bit of the language

paul_oshea
22/05/2008, 4:12 PM
Have enough people seen this thread? Or maybe have enough of the right people seen it?