PDA

View Full Version : City -v- Derry City

Neil
01/08/2003, 11:05 AM
PREVIEW New signings set for debuts

Three new signings should make their debuts for their respective clubs at Turners Cross this evening, with Robbie Hedderman and Michael Holt set to don the Derry City shirt for the first time and Ryan Casey in line for his first appearance for Cork City.

It is a strange time for Hedderman, who joined Derry on loan from Cork this week. A permanent deal could not be completed as Hedderman has already moved once this season, from Aberdeen to Leeside back in early May.

Former St Patrick’s Athletic striker Holt, who was unable to nail down a place in the Saints starting XI, had been strongly linked with a move to Longford Town but this week became Dermot Keely’s first signing for the Candystripes.

Another man to leave St Pats is Cork newboy Casey, who had a trial with Waterford United last week before being signed by Cork boss Pat Dolan for a second time – Dolan brought him to Richmond Park from Swansea last October.

A former under-21 international, Casey usually plays at left back, and will give Dolan several options, though the manager may opt to keep Billy Woods in the full back position.

Cork have lost two matches on the trot, in the league against Waterford and last week’s Cup match at home to Shelbourne, and will want to put a quick end to that undesirable run with the visit of the struggling Foylesiders.

Dermot Keely has a 100% clean-sheet record from his two matches in charge of the Candystripes to date, although the fact that it was a Cup tie and replay against First Division Cobh Ramblers may take something away from the bare statistic.

Their last outing in the league was a 4-0 thrashing away to Longford Town, a game which brought an end to Kevin Mahon’s reign as manager.

Keely will welcome the return of two key men this evening: striker Gary Beckett and left back Sean Hargan will be back in the side after missing the defeat of Cobh through work commitments.

Padraig Moran, who replaced Beckett against Cobh, has a toe injury and may miss out.

eleven-a-side (http://www.eleven-a-side.com/premier/story.asp?newsid=6725)

littlehops
01/08/2003, 6:39 PM
One change in the City team.....Ryan Casey makes his debut in place of Kevin Murray. That's the only change from last week.

Keely has made 3 changes in Derry team. Liam Coyle and the keeper, Alan Gough, among those dropped.

littlehops
01/08/2003, 7:21 PM
Derry a goal up on half an hour.....free kick deflected in by the wall

littlehops
01/08/2003, 8:10 PM
It's 1-1........a screamer by Conor O'Grady....65 mins gone.

littlehops
01/08/2003, 8:45 PM
All over and it finished 1-1.

Crowd estimated at about 3000 by Pat McAuliffe.

Other scores:
R*v*rs 0-1 Waterford
UCD 1-0 Drogheda

tiktok
01/08/2003, 9:07 PM
poor result.

Derry are terrible and will be rubbing their hands with glee that they've come to cork twice in three days, are still in the cup and got a point from the team in third.

brandywellpride
01/08/2003, 9:41 PM
Actually we're not rubbing our hands in glee although it is a good place to get a result.

As for us being terrible.......a deservedly 1-0 win against you's in the Brandywell and now an away draw.So what does that make you's then if we're so terrible?

Hitman
01/08/2003, 9:46 PM
We had more than enpugh chances to win the game, but a draw was probably about right. Hoggie nearly scored a screamer, and John missed from what looked to be under the bar. Conor's was a peach alright, but why can't we score tap-ins?

brandywellpride
01/08/2003, 10:03 PM
I'm just of the phone to a Derry fan in Cork and he tells me that the miss of the season has to be O' Flynns miss from two inces were he almost hit the corner flag!!!!

He wasn't happy with O' Callaghans reaction to Russell when it was obvious he was badly injuried and the home fans slagging of him as he was being carried of on a stretcher.

fonzi
01/08/2003, 10:32 PM
christ, can we ever win?

tiktok
01/08/2003, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by brandywellpride
As for us being terrible.......a deservedly 1-0 win against you's in the Brandywell and now an away draw.So what does that make you's then if we're so terrible?

i didn't make any claims on ourselves. but you are terrible, this is the worst Derry side in years, draw your own conclusions from that.

glad that casey did well on the left, he's probably not up to full match fitness or properly gelled with the team yet so hopefully a few games more and we'll have a steady attacking left side.

looks like coughlan is as good as signed so i can see Bennett being pushed into midfield or at least keeping the position more competitive to keep them all on their game.

Neil
02/08/2003, 12:05 AM
I thought we played very well tonight and should have won easily with a bit more luck and better finishing.
Derry were poor and were clearly delighted to get a draw.
Ryan Casey played well on his debut, looks a fine player (Dodge:rolleyes:)
George was outstanding as usual.
Flynny was better than the last couple of games but missed a sitter.
Woods was excellent.
Doyle excellent.
Colin T good.
Grady poor I thought except for the goal of course.

1 Question: What's the story with Casey wearing "44"?

Not a bad crowd of 3,000.

Off to $hel$...

Neil
02/08/2003, 12:10 AM
He wasn't happy with O' Callaghans reaction to Russell when it was obvious he was badly injuried
If he was so badly injured he should have ****ed off on a strecther the first time he went down rather than sitting in the net for 5 minutes and then another 5 minutes after he kicked the ball out the next time. He did what he set out to do: waste 10 minutes. And then of course the ref ads on only 5 minutes injury time (even though there were 4 subs and almost 10 minutes injurys) Gough is a better keeper for ye anyway.

mouldymurphy
02/08/2003, 12:37 AM
for a start the ref didnt have a clue what he was doing !!!!!!!he cant blow for an injury unless its a head injury and it obviously wasn't so the keeper should have been made put the ball out of play !! george obviously knewthis had words and got a card for his efforts . and after all that the keeper waits for the stretcher and then walks off the pitch and as the ref didnt know what he was doing he didn't have a drop ball as his ment to do if he blows up for an injury

thecorner
02/08/2003, 3:37 AM
[BHe wasn't happy with O' Callaghans reaction to Russell when it was obvious he was badly injuried and the home fans slagging of him as he was being carried of on a stretcher. [/B]
my boolix, the pr!ck wasnt even injured. if anyone body deserves an oscar,its that l@nger

patsh
02/08/2003, 9:51 AM
1. Derry WERE f*cking terrible.
2. The disgraceful playacting by at least 4 players would have earned at least 3 yellow cards from a ref who knew what he was doing.
3. There were 2 clear hand balls in the Derry penalty area, but the ref just igored them.
4. Derry came for a nil all draw, and had one real attempt at goal in the second half.
5. On the ref again, according to his interpretation of the rules, defenders have the rght to pull an attackers shirt off his back and it does not count as a foul.

6. Flynnie missed a tap in to an open goal from 1 foot. He needs a rest.
7. Why no Behan and Colin P on for the last 10 - 15 mins? No subs at all.:confused:
8. Casey looked handy enough, we had two wings working well last night.
9. I hate to say it, but Conor is not playing well enough to be in the first eleven. Great goal, but did little else.

10. P*ssed off with a draw, but Casey looks to be a starter, Derek coming back probably releases Benno to the midfield, we still tried to play football for long periods of the game and when it comes to City, we have to be eternal optimists !:D

eoinh
02/08/2003, 10:52 AM
I have to say i was very annoyed after the match for a number of reasons. (1) the ref and linesmen were terrible. the amount of tugging of shirts, pulling back of players and time wasting that they left derry get away with was absurd. the city players nearly had to fight them off. (2) Derrys attitude was scandalous - i have never seen so many players go down looking for treatment as i saw by derry last night. Fair enough, their goalie did get injured but this was after so many other incidents that people didnt believe him. (3) Dolans substitutions - cant the man make proper changes? Again as with the shelbourne game no proper use of the subs. O'Flynn had worked his socks off and was exhausted. He could barely run towards the end of the game. he should have been subbed for Behan. Its not a criticism of John but with all the work he had done he really couldnt contribute anything more. also O'Flynn seems to be playing more out on the wing. shouldnt dolan be telling him to play more down the centre as this is where he is most effective.

We were lucky last night with the other results but we really do need to find our consistancy again and fast.

Éanna
02/08/2003, 2:19 PM
yeah fair points eoin. I think we did well last night but we just didn't have that little bit of guile and craft that would have seen us win comfortably. Derry came looking for a point and the only time they looked like doing anything more was just after they scored. It was a typical dermot keely performance. Ref and linesman were poor but we should have won despite it. John O'Flynn was assaulted every time he got near the ball, and we could maybe have had a penalty or two for handball- that said we were very lucky not to give away a penalty in the first half when one of the derry lads was just shoved over by (I think) benno. Time-wasting was annoying, but the way to avoid that is to not give the ball to them! Overall we've got 2 defeats and a draw out of 3 games, and I think we can count ourselves pretty unlucky, cos we have played some good football. We have to play like we did second half ALL the time. Great to see Grady get his first goal at the cross. Another plus was the new guy Casey- thought he did very well

Éanna
02/08/2003, 2:25 PM
Originally posted by patsh
1. Derry WERE f*cking terrible.
2. The disgraceful playacting by at least 4 players would have earned at least 3 yellow cards from a ref who knew what he was doing.
3. There were 2 clear hand balls in the Derry penalty area, but the ref just igored them.
4. Derry came for a nil all draw, and had one real attempt at goal in the second half.
5. On the ref again, according to his interpretation of the rules, defenders have the rght to pull an attackers shirt off his back and it does not count as a foul.

6. Flynnie missed a tap in to an open goal from 1 foot. He needs a rest.
7. Why no Behan and Colin P on for the last 10 - 15 mins? No subs at all.:confused:
8. Casey looked handy enough, we had two wings working well last night.
9. I hate to say it, but Conor is not playing well enough to be in the first eleven. Great goal, but did little else.

10. P*ssed off with a draw, but Casey looks to be a starter, Derek coming back probably releases Benno to the midfield, we still tried to play football for long periods of the game and when it comes to City, we have to be eternal optimists !:D
Hard to argue with any of that! As I said in another thread though, we were lucky not to give away a spotter ourselves in the first half.