PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Paxman Darling

Angus
14/05/2008, 10:45 AM
Anybody see this car crash TV last night on Newsnight ?

It was like a schoolboy being hauled in front of the schoolmaster for cycling his bike on school grounds.

Devoid of vision and long term strategy - he abysmally failed to change the narrative away from the jacks cleaning story of the day on to longer term plans.

HarpoJoyce
14/05/2008, 11:11 AM
I didn't see him last night. But are you talking about Jeremy "Don't leave the first question, until it is answered" Paxman. He is a hero amongst TV folk.
I like him we he gets stuck into politicians anyway.

osarusan
14/05/2008, 1:13 PM
I didn't see him last night. But are you talking about Jeremy "Don't leave the first question, until it is answered" Paxman. He is a hero amongst TV folk.
I like him we he gets stuck into politicians anyway.

He was somebody I admired until he interviewed George Galloway after Galloway had won Oona King's Labour seat. It was an absolutely disgraceful interview which showed he's become infatuated with his own reputation as a tough interviewer.

Angus
14/05/2008, 2:00 PM
He was somebody I admired until he interviewed George Galloway after Galloway had won Oona King's Labour seat. It was an absolutely disgraceful interview which showed he's become infatuated with his own reputation as a tough interviewer.

Yes, he has - but equally he is still bloody good - arguably the best - on his day

TonyD
14/05/2008, 9:57 PM

Always found him obnoxious tbh, and you're dead right about the Galloway interview, pathetic attempt to live up to his rep as the hard man interviewer.

Aberdonian Stu
14/05/2008, 10:08 PM
I think the Galloway interview needs to be taken in context. The interview got dirty because of the way in which Galloway had gone after King in the campaign, and the comments he had made in the course of it. Paxman's questions related to these comments but he got so caught up in his desire to go after Galloway that he didn't make this clear so it came across badly. Not shocking for an interview at 4 in the morning but he still should have done better.

SkStu
15/05/2008, 10:06 PM
he should stick to what he does best - doing car shows with Hamster.

Macy
16/05/2008, 3:11 PM
If only we had similar in this country amongst the news teams on either TV or Radio. Actually, it'd be a start if we could just have properly chaired debates when they have two or more people on at the same time who wouldn't allow the shouting down and interuptions from (invariably) the FF politician. More bully boy from the presenters than the politicians please.

Monkfish
18/05/2008, 5:20 AM
he should stick to what he does best - doing car shows with Hamster.

What mark would you give this fella out of 10 in terms of research Jeremy?
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00143/Jeremy_Clarkson_143190a.jpg

:D

SkStu
18/05/2008, 6:58 AM
:D :D

Closed Account 2
18/05/2008, 2:44 PM
Fyi, here is the interview with Galloway

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tD5tunBGmDQ

Galloway deals with him very well.

HarpoJoyce
19/05/2008, 6:36 PM
Speaking of Jeremy Paxman's old interviews. I remember after the Albanian Government granted an award to the actor Norman Wisdom. Newsnight had the Albanian Ambassdor to the Court of St. James on, to explain Wisdom's popularity in Albania. The Ambassador looked and sounded like a polite approachably fellow.

Did Paxman even once address him as 'your Execellency', did he F***.

jebus
19/05/2008, 10:07 PM
Have never seen the Paxman-Galloway face off before, normally I'd have respect for Paxman but that was ridiculous and offensive

Aberdonian Stu
22/05/2008, 11:16 AM
I think offensive is the wrong term, I'm not criticising you for using it I'm just disagreeing with you.

The way Paxman conducted the interview wasn't the right way to go about it. The questions he was asking were relevant due to comments Galloway had made over the course of the campaign relating to Oona King. The problem was that he worded them the wrong way even for a direct attack style, which was warranted albeit unneccessary.

Paxman allowed his emotions into the questioning, which he normally doesn't even when he's at his most badgersome, and that gave Galloway (who is an excellent orator and debater) all the rope he needed to hang Paxman. It was frustrating as had Paxman been on form I think he could have rattled Galloway, a feat that few have ever managed to do publicly.

geysir
22/05/2008, 12:37 PM
Not really how I saw it.
Paxmans strategy is spring a trap.
Galloway spotted the trap immediatly and didn't grab the bait, he took control of the ambush and bashed Paxman.
Note that Paxman did not at all challenge studio Labour mans poison about a carpetbagger Scot coming down selecting Tower hamlets to raise racial tensions.
Wasn't it obvious that Galloway selected TH because thats where he could play his Iraq War card.
The considered opinion was that Galloway came to TH and outdebated Oona King as well as out campaigning her in all aspects.

BTW the big hullabuloo in the campaign:
Galloway was asked how he felt about challenging one of just two black women MPs in Parliament. "Oona King voted to kill a lot of women in the last few years. Many of them had much darker skins than her," he said. Mr Galloway was furious when Ms King laughed at his suggestion that he was the best debater in Parliament. "People can laugh. I suspect they will laughing on the other side of her face on 5 May," he said.

d13bohs
22/05/2008, 12:59 PM
If only we had similar in this country amongst the news teams on either TV or Radio. Actually, it'd be a start if we could just have properly chaired debates when they have two or more people on at the same time who wouldn't allow the shouting down and interuptions from (invariably) the FF politician. More bully boy from the presenters than the politicians please.

Are you trying to suggest we don't already have such a person in Brian Dobson? Do you not remember when his relentless questioning forced Bertie into tears? :D

jebus
22/05/2008, 1:04 PM
I meant Paxman was offensive to the voters of Bethnal Green, after all isn't he suggesting that they voted for Galloway on the strength of his skin colour?

HarpoJoyce
23/05/2008, 1:35 AM
This is exactly when we should have a media marker for a poster when they are persistent in a paticular argument.

The simple response should be........You Would Say That Wouldn't You?
Unfortunately, Foot.ie allows the culprit away scot free.

osarusan
23/05/2008, 7:14 AM
This is exactly when we should have a media marker for a poster when they are persistent in a paticular argument.

The simple response should be........You Would Say That Wouldn't You?
Unfortunately, Foot.ie allows the culprit away scot free.

Who are you talking about?

Aberdonian Stu
23/05/2008, 1:55 PM
Possibly me as I'm a journalist. I generally stay out of journalism related debates on Foot.ie but have on occasion waded in where I found the topic particularly interesting or where I felt I could offer context.

I don't believe what I do for a living defines who I am as a person and that there's nothing particularly special about my position that should merit a specific marker for me as a poster. I have been a poster on Foot.ie for much longer than I have been a professional journalist and have never once hidden what I do for a living from anyone that asked nor do I highlight it without prodding as I don't feel what I do for a living is relevant to the bulk of the topics I comment on.

At no point in this thread do I feel I have in some way used my position to manipulate the argument and furthermore I feel that the discussions from both viewpoints have been civil and well put.

Macy
23/05/2008, 2:11 PM
Surely it's irrelevant unless you're posting about one of you're own articles or whichever publication you write for? I mean, there's no marker for political debates about if anyone's a member of a particular party, or in the pro or anti union debates.

Aberdonian Stu
23/05/2008, 2:20 PM
I concur. Were Paxman a co-worker it would be relevant but he's not. In Harpo's defence he mightn't have meant me with his comments and if that's the case then I apologise for jumping to conclusions.

deecay
23/05/2008, 2:44 PM
Totally agree

cheifo
23/05/2008, 3:02 PM
Are you trying to suggest we don't already have such a person in Brian Dobson? Do you not remember when his relentless questioning forced Bertie into tears? :D

Yes that was very moving.He got very emotional just as he mentioned he had to actually spend some of his OWN money on his OWN family.Harrowing!:D

Da Real Rover
24/05/2008, 12:03 PM
Have never seen the Paxman-Galloway face off before, normally I'd have respect for Paxman but that was ridiculous and offensive

Spot on, I always admired Galloway and Paxman, but Paxmans antics in that interview totally destroyed his credibility. He was just plain out of order.
Heres my all time favourite Sky News + George Galloway moment. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=249JaIaubVw

jebus
24/05/2008, 12:14 PM
Like that Galloway clip alright. I saw him in a debate in UCC last year and he was 'ambushed' by his opponant over his supposed donations from Saddam. Galloway completely made the guy look like a fool, especially when his opponant (ex-IRA) said he could prove it and Galloway just asked him to do so, the ex-IRA man said he had documents at home :rolleyes: Then when the ex-IRA guy said that Galloway would have taken money from Stalin himself (in relation to Galloway's love of Fidel) Galloway responded by pointing out that the ex-IRA was also a former member of the Communist Party, and so was in no place to throw Stalinist insults about. After some awkward exchanges the ex-IRA man confirmed that he had been a Communist in the 70s and 80s. Guess he didn't figure on Galloway doing his homework on his debating opponant :D

Da Real Rover
24/05/2008, 12:30 PM
Like that Galloway clip alright. I saw him in a debate in UCC last year and he was 'ambushed' by his opponant over his supposed donations from Saddam. Galloway completely made the guy look like a fool, especially when his opponant (ex-IRA) said he could prove it and Galloway just asked him to do so, the ex-IRA man said he had documents at home :rolleyes: Then when the ex-IRA guy said that Galloway would have taken money from Stalin himself (in relation to Galloway's love of Fidel) Galloway responded by pointing out that the ex-IRA was also a former member of the Communist Party, and so was in no place to throw Stalinist insults about. After some awkward exchanges the ex-IRA man confirmed that he had been a Communist in the 70s and 80s. Guess he didn't figure on Galloway doing his homework on his debating opponant :D

Class, no doubt a Provo.
Its slightly ironic since how supportive Galloway has been to the Republican cause and him being one of the few MP's to support the irish immigrant community in Britain when there was a wave of anti-Irish sentiment sweeping the country, similar to the anit-islamic sentiment in England today.

jebus
25/05/2008, 10:39 AM
Class, no doubt a Provo.
Its slightly ironic since how supportive Galloway has been to the Republican cause and him being one of the few MP's to support the irish immigrant community in Britain when there was a wave of anti-Irish sentiment sweeping the country, similar to the anit-islamic sentiment in England today.

The ex-IRA, ex-Commie probably wanted to make a few headlines and get his name out there, can't see any other reason for his attack on Galloway during a debate on American foreign policy

Macy
26/05/2008, 7:34 AM
Yes that was very moving.He got very emotional just as he mentioned he had to actually spend some of his OWN money on his OWN family.Harrowing!:D
Was it not the probing question, in the dobbo bull dog style. The only way RTE could get anymore bias would be to have the producer of a fawning revisionist documentary on haughey, whose brother was running for FF to "chair" the pre-election leaders debate. But sure not even RTE would do that would they?