PDA

View Full Version : Last night's match

Shelsman
31/07/2003, 4:49 PM
My review:

Crowe had a poor enough game, he didn't hold up the ball well and when he tried to lay it off he usually gave it away.

Hawkins was outstanding

Hunt was fantastic

Ryan was unbelievable

Harkin was excellent when he came on

Doyle had a very good game

Keegan and Pereplotkin didn't offer much

Caffrey was very good

Overall: Excellent. The best display by an Irish club team I have ever seen.

Several times during the game I was asking myself where the full backs were, particularly Webb in the first half.
The full backs were excellent going forward but regularly left huge gaps.
Lynch is excellent on the ball but very dodgy defensively.
Fenlon correctly pointed out Lynch's bad positioning in one of the replays but there was another moment when he was miles away from his man.

Suggestion for second leg: Ryan on the right wing, Harkin on the left? Rutherford is an excellent player but Harkin has better strength, and, judging by the last game, is the best crosser of the ball they have.

pineapple stu
31/07/2003, 5:45 PM
Originally posted by Shelsman
Ryan was unbelievable

:eek: :confused: :eek:

Ryan was appalling last night! Fair enough, he could go past half the Rosenborg team, but his crossing was abysmal, and even then when he had a chance to cross, he insisted on finding more Rosenborg players to go past, whereupon he promptly fell over or lost the ball!

It's no coincidence that Bohs' two or three best chances came when Harkin was on the wing - he had the ability to know when to get the ball in.

For next game - drop Rutherford alright, his marker had the measure of him. Switch Ryan to the left and tell him to cross the feckin' thing!!! Bring Harkin in on the right. Can't see them going through now, but then Shels drew there the last time, so anything's possible. And even a draw'd help the rankings as well.

pete
31/07/2003, 5:49 PM
Would agree more or less with that.

I thought if anything the fullbacks attacked too much considering Rosenborg played with 3 up front.

Doyle better than i've seen him in the past but poor use of the ball.

Rutherford definitely should have been taken off at half time as offered nothing going forward.

Never rated Lynch & IMO he usually the weak link in the Bohs team.

Was huge mismatch in the size of the teams that almost looked like men against boys at times.

Rosenborg were excellent in defense & don't think stretched once in the game. Rosenborg will progress & probably beat Deportivo in the 3rd round.

btw what was the deal with the grass? Didn't notice it at the game but could see on tv what the commentators were on about.

Peadar
01/08/2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by pete
Never rated Lynch & IMO he usually the weak link in the Bohs team.

This is the same Lynch who made a goal line clearance from a corner late in the game with his head?
I thought he did well on Wednesday.
All in all the defence did their jod fairly well.
I would have like to see the full-backs get forward a bit more.
Rutherford was the weakest link by far and their final ball was rushed.
We had to wait for the introduction of Harkin before we saw any decent ball into the area.

wws
01/08/2003, 1:26 PM
theres loads i'd have to say about this game because

a) i do not believe that rosenburg were too strong for bohs
b) i believe bohs were **** in every area where they normally deliver

pineapple stu hit the nail on the head here:
It's no coincidence that Bohs' two or three best chances came when Harkin was on the wing - he had the ability to know when to get the ball in.

bohs wingers were getting into the areas where it is ver easy to hurt teams (even one as big as rosenburg) the problem was the two strikers wernt at the races and consequently not offering anything for ryan when he did beat his man.....how many times did he skin his marker easy only to turn around and play it backwards to lynch...or at one point veer all the way back in a semi circle and ended up losing the ball!

Crowes lack of sharpness, poise and speed was a severe let down to bobby ryans decent efforts. Doyle wasnt much use either, simple balls lashed across the box would have tested the real quality of this rosenberg team...bohs managed this simple feat only twice in the games...one low cross panicked the RBK back four another landed on caffos head for an uncontested free header

Im ****ed off because if
a) crowe et al ewere on form and b) ryan put the ball in first time
after beating 1 man than bohs would have sreated ample chances

finally stephen kenny has to shoulder a lot of the blame, I stand over my comments that mark rutherford and the andrei person are not fit to play premier div football let alone carry such a massive burden in such a big game

both were totally inept, totally liteweight and it was a disgrace to see them on the pitch, i saw the russian lad at teh pats game and thought he was dire, bringing him on was wishful thinking by kenny not the act of a man who knowshis best players, clueless

really ****ed me off that, as a bohs team playing in a proper bohs style with a manager who knew his best eleven would have a 50/50 chance of beating RBK

disappointing

Shelsman
01/08/2003, 1:58 PM
Originally posted by wws
really ****ed me off that, as a bohs team playing in a proper bohs style with a manager who knew his best eleven would have a 50/50 chance of beating RBK

Let's not forget that the 'proper' Bohs style for the last 30 years saw the ball in the air most of the time.
I thought Bohs were fantastic overall, played some great football, and think that Kenny is by far the best man for the job.

True that Ryans delivery was sh*te, and Rutherford was like a pencil compared to the Rosenborg players, but I still thought sparky played well and he has scored a lot of European goals in his time so he may come up trumps in Trondheim. Still, Ryan and Harkin are probobly the best combo.

wws
01/08/2003, 2:15 PM
by bohs style - i meant in relation to last season not historical

on rutherford I simply cannot agree, in any truthful analysis of the match his wastefulness percantage of quite reasonable possession would be totally unacceptable at any level, unfortunately a lot of ppl mainly shels and bohs fans rate this guy for past exploits, In my opinion he is not fit to be called a first team player

conceding possession for no apparent reason in good areas is a cardinal sin in europe, and rutherford managed to do this frequently

absolutely lame player [ not an opinion ive recently acquired as if you watch this waste of space v pats he is ALWAYS bullied out of the game with remarkable ease - pats are no rbk but in league of ireland terms in the power and strength department we're as close a comparison as you'll get]

stupid amateur mistakes by ritherford and the ukranian at crucial stages are the difference between a pro side and a shambles of a pro side also inability to defend a simple corner is something we at pats have recognised in the bohs team over the last few seasons - amateur