PDA

View Full Version : Tom Waits

Neish
13/05/2008, 9:58 PM
Was on the bus down to Galway on friday, was chatting to mates and kinda half tuned in to the Radio, but was sure I heard the radio people say something about Tom Waits playing Phoenix Park in the near future. Didn't hear a date and have been serching the net since can't find anything.

Anyone else hear anything about this?

boovidge
18/05/2008, 3:20 PM
if this happens tickets will be like goldust! I would pay a ridiculous price to see him live though!

jebus
18/05/2008, 5:39 PM
I heard a rumour about this gig taking place in Dublin alright, I too would pay a ridiculous amount of money to see this man live.

Wangball
18/05/2008, 10:09 PM
I am very much interested in seeing Tom Waits, it would be awesome, Springsteen, Young & Waits all in the same year, its the stuff of dreams

Neish
20/05/2008, 6:11 PM
Was told from a good source at the weekend, that nothing has been confirmed as yet but its about 90% certain that he is playing in late summer no venue as yet but I was told tickets will be €150 +

jebus
21/05/2008, 10:29 AM
Was told from a good source at the weekend, that nothing has been confirmed as yet but its about 90% certain that he is playing in late summer no venue as yet but I was told tickets will be €150 +

I heard €150 and he'll be playing a tent in Phoenix Park

Billsthoughts
21/05/2008, 12:30 PM
Anyone hear Scarlett Johnassens album of Waits covers? supposed to be pretty good. (according to sunday Times)

jebus
21/05/2008, 12:36 PM
Anyone hear Scarlett Johnassens album of Waits covers? supposed to be pretty good. (according to sunday Times)

I've heard three tracks off it. To be honest she's a very average singer, probably told she was great because of who she is, and the Times article, well you could practically tell the writer was masturbating over a picture of her while he was writing it. I've read mixed things about the album, some have given it 4/5, some have given it 1/5, I reckon it depends on whether or not the reviewer knows the Tom Waits tracks she is covering. If they had never heard them before then they probably associate the astounding lyrics with Johansson herself, and so would bump the review up quite a bit

Neish
21/05/2008, 10:06 PM
Just got this off the ticketmaster site

America's legendary songwriter and performer Tom Waits brings his Glitter and Doom tour to Europe this summer, with three concerts in Dublin's Ratcellar in Pheonix Park on Wednesday 30, Thursday 31 July and Friday 1 August.

These exclusive Dublin dates, which end the Glitter and Doom tour, will be the first time the Grammy-winning artist has played in the city since the early Eighties.

Tickets will be fully seated and go on sale Tuesday 27 May at 09.00.

paul_oshea
22/05/2008, 11:38 AM
i really dont understand the hoopla around this fella, he talks and moans through his "songs" seriouslly depressing/annoying after a while.

osarusan
22/05/2008, 11:52 AM
i really dont understand the hoopla around this fella, he talks and moans through his "songs" seriouslly depressing/annoying after a while.

He's one of the few genius songwriters in the world today.

I'd love to see him live - I think it'd be a performance that would stay with you for a while.

boovidge
22/05/2008, 2:19 PM
Just got this off the ticketmaster site

America's legendary songwriter and performer Tom Waits brings his Glitter and Doom tour to Europe this summer, with three concerts in Dublin's Ratcellar in Pheonix Park on Wednesday 30, Thursday 31 July and Friday 1 August.

These exclusive Dublin dates, which end the Glitter and Doom tour, will be the first time the Grammy-winning artist has played in the city since the early Eighties.

Tickets will be fully seated and go on sale Tuesday 27 May at 09.00.

noooooooooo :eek: I'm away on holiday then!

gufct
23/05/2008, 3:16 PM
Same here i was disgusted when i saw that flying back on the 2nd August. I guess Sprinsteen and Clapton will have to do.

osarusan
23/05/2008, 3:19 PM
Clapton

Or, as you can see from the site Engrish.com, he's also known as Eric Crapton (http://www.engrish.com/detail.php?imagename=CDCover.jpg&category=Music&date=2002-02-18)

pronunciation problems with 'R' and 'L' have never been funnier

TonyD
23/05/2008, 3:33 PM
Completely appropos of nothing, but I've always wished Tom Waits would release an album called "For No Man".