PDA

View Full Version : The New IFA Premiership

Pages : [1] 2

Mr_Parker
13/05/2008, 8:09 PM
The points rankings were announced tonight with the top 12 forming the new league.

Portadown were not considered as their application was late. Larne, Limavady and Armagh failed to get a Domestic Licence. That left 13 with Donegal Celtic missing out and 1st Division club Bangor joining the final 12.

1. Linfield - 1339 points
2. Ballymena United - 1054 points
3. Glentoran - 1016 points
4. Coleraine - 965 points
5. Cliftonville - 945 points
6. Dungannon Swifts - 855 points
7. Glenavon - 828 points
8. Crusaders - 826 points
9. Lisburn Distillery - 815 points
10. Newry City - 796 points
11. Bangor - 641 points
12. Institute - 632 points
----------------------------
13. Donegal Celtic - 543 points

SolitudeRed
14/05/2008, 12:44 AM
The points rankings were announced tonight with the top 12 forming the new league.

Portadown were not considered as their application was late. Larne, Limavady and Armagh failed to get a Domestic Licence. That left 13 with Donegal Celtic missing out and 1st Division club Bangor joining the final 12.

7. Glenavon - 828 points
11. Bangor - 641 points

Surprised to see Coleraine so high up in the rankings I would have thought that the financial troubles they had would have lost them some points!

Morrissey
14/05/2008, 8:24 AM
Our debt management is second to none.

pól-dcfc
14/05/2008, 10:36 AM
Although I have no love (or even like for that matter) for them, it's a shame to see DC out of the league. They do have potential to be bigger than they are, but obviously it was gonna take time to win the people of West Belfast over from the lure of English and Scottish football (not to mention the bogballers). Bangor don't seem to have anywhere near the same potential. Looks like they got in for having a first aid room and a drug testing room. Fair play to them for getting it sorted, but they'll be the whipping boys next season.

Surprised 'Stute didn't do better than them as well. The Riverside is a nice wee ground, and Institute's results over the past few years have been miles better than Bangor.

Steve Bruce
16/05/2008, 11:56 AM
Although I have no love (or even like for that matter) for them, it's a shame to see DC out of the league. They do have potential to be bigger than they are, but obviously it was gonna take time to win the people of West Belfast over from the lure of English and Scottish football (not to mention the bogballers). Bangor don't seem to have anywhere near the same potential. Looks like they got in for having a first aid room and a drug testing room. Fair play to them for getting it sorted, but they'll be the whipping boys next season.

Surprised 'Stute didn't do better than them as well. The Riverside is a nice wee ground, and Institute's results over the past few years have been miles better than Bangor.

Can I ask how you seem to think DC have more potential than Bangor? Bangor is a sizeable town and they have it to themselves(Ards share a ground but they have a different catchement)

Bangor have a far better stadium and far better history than DC.

DC have no history, have terrible facilities, terrible crowds and have a terrible team.

Whilst 3 years ago I would have agreed, seeing them first hand has blown this 'potential' right out of the water. Every club in NI has potential, but very few if any have reached it.

pól-dcfc
16/05/2008, 12:33 PM
Can I ask how you seem to think DC have more potential than Bangor? Bangor is a sizeable town and they have it to themselves(Ards share a ground but they have a different catchement)

Bangor have a far better stadium and far better history than DC.

DC have no history, have terrible facilities, terrible crowds and have a terrible team.

Whilst 3 years ago I would have agreed, seeing them first hand has blown this 'potential' right out of the water. Every club in NI has potential, but very few if any have reached it.

West Belfast is a massive area with a large population. If they could get even 5% of the area involved in supporting the club they would be huge.

It's not like Bangor have a huge amount of fans is it? They'll go straight back down next season, and then continually finish poorly in the Intermediate league, as has been the case for the past 12 years.

Graemerz
16/05/2008, 5:29 PM
I would hazard a guess the only reason DC were excluded from the new league is solely down to their pathetic excuse for a stadium. They can have little to complain about and all the whining they're doing is just making themselves look more stupid. I'm awaiting the green card to be played.

Carnloughred
16/05/2008, 8:20 PM
Most of the football fans in west Belfast who have an interest in Irish football support Cliftonville. Bangor when they were in the top flight before had a pathetic support despite having population of around 60000

Graemerz
16/05/2008, 9:00 PM
Most of the football fans in west Belfast who have an interest in Irish football support Cliftonville. Bangor when they were in the top flight before had a pathetic support despite having population of around 60000

Possibly but at least they'd bring more than 300 to an Irish Cup Semi-Final.

AnnaghRed
16/05/2008, 11:08 PM
I would hazard a guess the only reason DC were excluded from the new league is solely down to their pathetic excuse for a stadium.

I'd be astounded if the average attendance in the IL reaches 4 figures. Would guess that DC's is around
300, surely even the H&S mandarins running our game [into the ground] reckon they can cater for that?

Didnt Coleraine - apparently now our 3rd best supported team - publish average attendances for last season of round the 800 mark? [600 excluding the visits of Linfield & Glentoran] A truly sorry state of affairs.

And besides that, DC's ground is deemed suitable enough for Cliftonville to use next season.

waide
17/05/2008, 10:18 AM
The average attendances of the new league are bound to improve now with the inclusion of sleeping giants like Bangor and Institute.

Steve Bruce
17/05/2008, 1:11 PM

Bangor had the ability to bring thousands to a game in the past when they where in the top flight (not every game obviously), DC has only ever shown this once and lets be honest, they where only there for a fight (both sets of supporters had these types)

Steve Bruce
17/05/2008, 1:12 PM
I'd be astounded if the average attendance in the IL reaches 4 figures. Would guess that DC's is around
300, surely even the H&S mandarins running our game [into the ground] reckon they can cater for that?

Didnt Coleraine - apparently now our 3rd best supported team - publish average attendances for last season of round the 800 mark? [600 excluding the visits of Linfield & Glentoran] A truly sorry state of affairs.

And besides that, DC's ground is deemed suitable enough for Cliftonville to use next season.

Lets be honest we do not know the average attendances of our league because very few release figures.

Graemerz
17/05/2008, 4:26 PM
Lets be honest we do not know the average attendances of our league because very few release figures.

Glentoran now release attendance figures on their official site. Hilarious.

Buller
17/05/2008, 4:56 PM

7. Glenavon - 828 points
11. Bangor - 641 points

Yey!!!

AnnaghRed
18/05/2008, 1:01 AM

True, but those of us who attend games not involving Linfield or Glentoran would perhaps get a better perspective of the overall picture.

AnnaghRed
18/05/2008, 1:03 AM
Glentoran now release attendance figures on their official site. Hilarious.

Hilarious wouldn't be the adjective i'd use to describe the figures they release. That the Glens support has dropped to that level should be a major concern to anyone who gives a sh*t about the future of the IL

waide
18/05/2008, 10:24 AM
Hilarious wouldn't be the adjective i'd use to describe the figures they release. That the Glens support has dropped to that level should be a major concern to anyone who gives a sh*t about the future of the ILI would take yhe figure that the glens release with a large pinch of salt,that also applies to linfield.

Martinho II
18/05/2008, 9:07 PM
whats goin to happen now with portadown???:eek:

Graemerz
19/05/2008, 12:43 PM
whats goin to happen now with portadown???:eek:

Intermediate First Division. Win that they're back where they belong.

Martinho II
19/05/2008, 9:18 PM
thats a major shock with portadown.. not too long ago vinny arkins and dean fitzgerald were winnin trophies with them...

Blanchflower
20/05/2008, 2:03 PM
I would take yhe figure that the glens release with a large pinch of salt,that also applies to linfield.
Except Linfield don't release figures. Like all IL clubs bar Coleraine, they keep them secret.

antrimgreen
21/05/2008, 1:17 PM
I hope DC & Portadown go up next year 2 teams that should be their because of their ability on the pitch and not their ability to post a letter or build a super duper stadium that wouldn't increase attendances.

Blanchflower
22/05/2008, 7:30 AM
I agree antrimgreen, but I suspect it'll only be 1 up-1 down

Graemerz
23/05/2008, 11:07 PM
DC Shouldn't be near the league until they have adequate facilities for football fans. Standing on a muddy bank with no shelter and poor toilet facilities just isn't good enough when you are trying to run a more professional league.

AnnaghRed
24/05/2008, 12:05 AM
Standing on a muddy bank with no shelter and poor toilet facilities just isn't good enough

You've never ventured round to the Sydenham End at the Oval then?

Graemerz
24/05/2008, 1:38 AM
I've been on both ends of the Oval. It is a sh*tpit but nowhere near as much of a disgrace as Suffolk Road/Donegal Celtic Park/IKEA Arena is... Atleast there is shelter at The Oval..... although with a 8,000+ crowd you'll never be guaranteed it... ;)

Lux Interior
25/05/2008, 2:08 PM

:confused:

You've never actually stood at the Sydenham End, right?

Otherwise you'd know that it's been terracted for over 50 years and has a clearly visible toilet block.

Oh well, won't concern you next year anyway.

AnnaghRed
26/05/2008, 6:05 PM
:confused:

You've never actually stood at the Sydenham End, right?

Otherwise you'd know that it's been terracted for over 50 years and has a clearly visible toilet block.

I've stood on your grassy bank a fair few times over the years, and from what i've seen most other fans prefer it to the terracing as well.

Oh well, won't concern you next year anyway.

:confused: Have they decided its unfit for cup semis now as well?

Spoons
27/05/2008, 1:29 PM
"Dean Fitzgerald"........ex Shels ??....there's a blast from the past!
He was brutal really wasn't he!.....did well to make a few bob in fairness out of football for a fella who couldn't play!

garyderry
27/05/2008, 10:05 PM

didnt seem too bad last few years in the Setanta

Steve Bruce
28/05/2008, 12:42 PM
There is a bit of muck you have to walk past to get onto the terracing on the sydenham end, but all in all it is no where near the worst in the league.

Glentoran should roof the ground, it would make the atmosphere better and the atmosphere would stay within the ground.

Graemerz
28/05/2008, 7:44 PM
There is a bit of muck you have to walk past to get onto the terracing on the sydenham end, but all in all it is no where near the worst in the league.

Glentoran should roof the ground, it would make the atmosphere better and the atmosphere would stay within the ground.

That would be very costly. The Oval is a huge ground..

Lux Interior
28/05/2008, 11:14 PM
I've stood on your grassy bank a fair few times over the years, and from what i've seen most other fans prefer it to the terracing as well.

You do realise away fans don't use the Sydenham End? Oh, you mean home fans ..... well, they stand on the terrace fortnightly and, you know what .... no-one's ever taken a fall down a "muddy bank" because - erm - there isn't one.

:confused: Have they decided its unfit for cup semis now as well?

Why would it be? Considering the club just received it's UEFA Licensing.

Lux Interior
28/05/2008, 11:17 PM

Why would you walk on a "bit of muck" when there's been a paved section to the terrace for about 15 seasons now?

Not sure why the Glens should roof the terraced ends just to accommodate Linfield's 'choir' once a season. Anyways, the only way the atmos would be improved would be to unseat the unreserved end.

Steve Bruce
29/05/2008, 11:21 AM
Why would you walk on a "bit of muck" when there's been a paved section to the terrace for about 15 seasons now?

Not sure why the Glens should roof the terraced ends just to accommodate Linfield's 'choir' once a season. Anyways, the only way the atmos would be improved would be to unseat the unreserved end.

I was on the terracing behind the goals against Cliftonville in the Irish Cup. There was no way of getting onto that terracing than to go through muck (albeit only 3 feet of much).

However I could be wrong, it was a bad day and this concrete you talk of could have been flooded and looks like muck.

Also it was an observation about the Oval, on the terracing the atmosphere drifts into the air and out of the ground. The atmopshere at the Linfield end is dead on because we have a big roof that keeps it in. It was more to do with improvement for Irish League not just for Linfield.

But you can be defensive if you like. No problem for me.

Steve Bruce
29/05/2008, 11:29 AM
That would be very costly. The Oval is a huge ground..

Costly yes, but do it in stages. Institute has had millions spent on there ground in the last 5 or 6 years. They got grants in place and I think they will eventually have one of the best Irish League grounds.

Steve Bruce
29/05/2008, 1:41 PM
You do realise away fans don't use the Sydenham End? Oh, you mean home fans ..... well, they stand on the terrace fortnightly and, you know what .... no-one's ever taken a fall down a "muddy bank" because - erm - there isn't one.

Your club has a UEFA license, but your ground doesn't. Glentoran have elected Mourneview as their home venue in europe. Please keep up:rolleyes:

EalingGreen
29/05/2008, 3:10 PM
Costly yes, but do it in stages. Institute has had millions spent on there ground in the last 5 or 6 years. They got grants in place and I think they will eventually have one of the best Irish League grounds.

Whilst it is still unknown/undecided whether the Glens will stay at the Oval or move elsewhere, they aren't going to spend a penny more than is absolutely necessary on the existing facilities.

Which is fair enough, I suppose - the real problem is the Board's inability/unwillingness to make what is a crucial decision.

Meanwhile, the team, as well as the Stadium, continues to deteriorate :mad:

Morrissey
29/05/2008, 3:42 PM
Your club has a UEFA license, but your ground doesn't. Glentoran have elected Mourneview as their home venue in europe. Please keep up:rolleyes:

You're about as sharp as Bruce himself.

www.glentoran.com

Steve Bruce
29/05/2008, 3:56 PM
You're about as sharp as Bruce himself.

www.glentoran.com

Aww well, even the best of us can be wrong some times. The Glentoran site isn't somewhere I go to that often;)

AnnaghRed
29/05/2008, 5:59 PM
You do realise away fans don't use the Sydenham End?

I can think of several occasions when Portadown have been housed in that end. Tony Gormans Portadown debut in some cup semi v Linfield when he puked on the touchline springs instantly to mind :D

no-one's ever taken a fall down a "muddy bank" because - erm - there isn't one.

No idea what your talking about here, i never mentioned a muddy bank merely a grassy one, you know the one that most of the crowd stand on in that end, coz its higher up and affords a better view.....check out several videos on you tube if you don't believe me. I've even spotted a few people sunbathe on it during games.

How come finals involving Linfield haven't been played at the Oval in recent times?

Not Brazil
30/05/2008, 1:13 PM
How come finals involving Linfield haven't been played at the Oval in recent times?

Very simple answer to that - the sponsors have insisted that the games be played at Windsor Park.

Meanwhile, this new league thingy....could be about to get very, very, messy indeed.:eek:

"Independent", being a buzz phrase.

14 team league, to save blushes, anyone?

Steve Bruce
30/05/2008, 3:27 PM
Very simple answer to that - the sponsors have insisted that the games be played at Windsor Park.

Meanwhile, this new league thingy....could be about to get very, very, messy indeed.:eek:

I heard the 14 team league yesterday and Started a thread on the ILS

Graemerz
30/05/2008, 8:20 PM
Hell just why not go back to 16? You can't throw Larne, Limavady and Armagh out of the league and allow DC in it. All three clubs have just as good stadia as Donegal Celtic have.

AnnaghRed
30/05/2008, 11:09 PM
The whole thing is a total balls up, but no surprise really...."we" only had about two years to sort it out.

Presumably DC have spotted some major flaw in their case for it to be dragging on so long, otherwise the IFA would have told them to f*ck off and get on with it, as they did with Portadown.

Lux Interior
30/05/2008, 11:29 PM
But you can be defensive if you like. No problem for me.

No problem at all.

There is no need to play UEFA games at Mourneview. I mean, it's fairly common knowledge we got our thumbs up this week.

Lux Interior
30/05/2008, 11:32 PM
No idea what your talking about here, i never mentioned a muddy bank merely a grassy one, you know the one that most of the crowd stand on in that end, coz its higher up and affords a better view.....check out several videos on you tube if you don't believe me. I've even spotted a few people sunbathe on it during games.

See your post (#26 on this thread) in response to #25.

Mindreading ain't my thing, chief, so I gotta go with the above.

PS: no need to check out 'youtube' - I go there every other week.

Lux Interior
30/05/2008, 11:36 PM

That's how this will pan out. I've been an IL regular for years but a return to that - after all we've been promised - would seriously have me consider why keep going.

Clubs had two years to get this right as did the administrators. From what I'm hearing there is more holes in the entire process than in Blackburn, Lancasheer.

Mr_Parker
06/06/2008, 5:13 PM

Not correct. The IFA wrote it into the rules that all Irish Cup finals must be played at Windsor.