PDA

View Full Version : Eircom League Website's

Duggie
13/05/2008, 2:31 PM
In the main there pretty crap. Cork's, Drogs new one, Bohs at a push arent bad. Its not that hard to keep an up to date decent website on the go. Bloody hell you would think the little things clubs could do well. Dundalk have a good one also......regular viewers might know what i mean...;)

A face
13/05/2008, 10:45 PM
All clubs have one now though, two years ago that wasn't the case. I take your point but it is getting better.

Buller
13/05/2008, 10:53 PM
I dont see any problem with the hoops website, its updated dailey with pics and write ups of matches the next day...

BohsPartisan
13/05/2008, 11:48 PM
A lot of effort gone into the new Bohs one. Maybe not technically brilliant but content wise its a lot better than it was two years ago.

pete
13/05/2008, 11:55 PM
As always content is key. No use having the bells 'n whistles if not updated & hard to find info.

If the LOI official website is the standard then the clubs are exceeding it.

Aaron
13/05/2008, 11:57 PM
Dont see much wrong with ours tbh?:confused:

http://www.derrycityfc.net/home.php

Superhoops
14/05/2008, 12:02 AM
Up to last season the BW website was embarrassing. Now though match reports are posted very soon after games and the News section is generally right up to date.

DRDoc
14/05/2008, 12:54 AM
I think the bohs site is very good this year

UCDs is better than it was also

The derry one is poor i think - rarely ever any team news on it prior to a game, not sure what its like for reports

The dundalk site is what clubs should be aspiring to

Cobhs is getting a lot better also

Pats is poor also i think

monutdfc
14/05/2008, 9:06 AM
In the main there pretty crap. Cork's, Drogs new one, Bohs at a push arent bad. Its not that hard to keep an up to date decent website on the go. Bloody hell you would think the little things clubs could do well. Dundalk have a good one also......regular viewers might know what i mean...;)
Maybe you could give them grammar and punctuation lessons to improve their websites?

Duggie
14/05/2008, 9:28 AM
Maybe you could give them grammar and punctuation lessons to improve their websites?

oh dont be so sad mate. get out more.

charliesboots
14/05/2008, 9:35 AM
Pats website will be relaunched soon with lots of new features.

A lot of work goes into club websites, mainly from volunteers and a lot of the time at their own expense.

I think clubs are finally realising though that the site is their day to day link with the supporters. Club sites have dramatically improved in the past few years IMO

Duggie
14/05/2008, 9:45 AM
what a lot of sports now do is have one template website but with each different clubs content. like say the IRFU the Munster and Leinster sites are designed the same but different content. Same in England now all the sites are the same.

charliesboots
14/05/2008, 9:47 AM
what a lot of sports now do is have one template website but with each different clubs content. like say the IRFU the Munster and Leinster sites are designed the same but different content. Same in England now all the sites are the same.

Yeah they're copying the American format. I think the MLB were the first to do it. The problem is that each clubs site is then no more than a section of the main site.

I much rather having distinct sites but that are of a certain standard.

monutdfc
14/05/2008, 9:48 AM
There was mention of this at the recent fans' meeting, that the FAI would provide a template and content management system which clubs could use. Does anyone know if this is going to happen?
The gaa provided a template for clubs but it was very poor and very few clubs stuck with it.

Sam_Heggy
14/05/2008, 9:49 AM
Its getting the voluntary man power. Every person working on our website are working in full time employment and most have families too.
Mr.A, Harps1954 and FBTN are the lads that look after ours and I think they do a good job of it.
www.finnharps.com

Duggie, how do you see where our website can be improved, the lads would take fair suggestions seriously imo.

Duggie
14/05/2008, 9:52 AM
Yeah they're copying the American format. I think the MLB were the first to do it. The problem is that each clubs site is then no more than a section of the main site.

I much rather having distinct sites but that are of a certain standard.

i know what u mean. the AFL in Oz have this method aswell of similiar sites.

luka
14/05/2008, 10:05 AM
Cobhs is getting a lot better also
Thank you Sir. :p

I'd say the standard of EL club sites has drastically improved over the past couple of years lads. Go back five to ten years ago and see what you got. A good place to view old sites of the past is www.webarchive.org Go there and compare then and now.

Galway's and Drogs do it for me though. Derry City's is good for actual loaded content and has improved since I started viewing it years ago.

Totally agree with Sam_Heggy's comments here though. If only clubs could afford to employ people to do it I'd say we'd have much more quality.

Quite a few clubs tend to use CMS software but I'm not keen on it. Lose one piece and you lose the lot. Also makes life rather annoying when you need a different look etc etc.

Schumi
14/05/2008, 10:27 AM
oh dont be so sad mate. get out more.Says the guy starting a thread about the quality of club websites. :D

GuisaSaigon
14/05/2008, 10:46 AM
Nothing wrong with www.galwayunitedfc.ie , if only the same were true of our team:o

Duggie
14/05/2008, 10:49 AM
Nothing wrong with www.galwayunitedfc.ie (http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie) , if only the same were true of our team:o

true thats a very good one fair play.

passinginterest
14/05/2008, 11:28 AM
www.wexfordyouthsfc.ie (http://www.wexfordyouthsfc.ie) started out in an ultra fancy looking blaze of glory, then quickly became an out of date embarrassment. It's recently been taken over, redesigned and relaunched by volunteers (members of the supporters club) and it now has the potential to be very good.

Actually I think they'd be happy to take any constructive suggestions on board too, as I'm pretty sure some of them are registered here.

holidaysong
14/05/2008, 11:45 AM
www.wexfordyouthsfc.ie (http://www.wexfordyouthsfc.ie) started out in an ultra fancy looking blaze of glory, then quickly became an out of date embarrassment. It's recently been taken over, redesigned and relaunched by volunteers (members of the supporters club) and it now has the potential to be very good.

Actually I think they'd be happy to take any constructive suggestions on board too, as I'm pretty sure some of them are registered here.

I was on it last week looking for information on the FAI Youth Cup Final and thought it was quite a good little site actually. :)

luka
14/05/2008, 11:46 AM
Not bad at all, however, they might change the Cobh Ramblers from .com to a .ie

neutrino
14/05/2008, 11:56 AM
Thank you Sir. :p

I'd say the standard of EL club sites has drastically improved over the past couple of years lads. Go back five to ten years ago and see what you got. A good place to view old sites of the past is www.webarchive.org Go there and compare then and now.

that's a quality website. great to look back and see what sites were like.

Also, anybody who say's it's not that hard to maintain an up-to-date website must never have done it. Maintaing website's is very time consuming as anyone who has done it will know.

Sheridan
14/05/2008, 12:09 PM
Clubs have got to start realising that their website is many potential sponsors'/investors'/supporters' port of call. It's effectively the club's shopfront and requires the appropriate level of attention, even if that means employing someone part- or full-time to run it.

SeanDrog
14/05/2008, 12:15 PM
thanks a million for the link to that site - I use to run droghedarebels.com back in 01 & 02, the offical drogs site in 03/04 (basic looking now but it was better than nothing :) ) and to see the old site again brings back some amount of memories.

You are dead right - keeping a site up to date is a massive task and takes serious time and effort.

Straightstory
14/05/2008, 12:21 PM
The Drogs one has improved immensely this season. Fan pressure also seems to have got them to tone down the infamously idiotic match reports.

SeanDrog
14/05/2008, 12:25 PM
The Drogs one has improved immensely this season. Fan pressure also seems to have got them to tone down the infamously idiotic match reports.

Visually it looks good but I feel the content is very much lacking - doesn't take long to get through whats on offer.

The match reports still have their moments

Battery Rover
14/05/2008, 3:39 PM
Our new website is now in the final stages of design and will undergo testing over the coming months and hopefully be launched in full by the end of June

As someone has said before a website depends on the amount of input you get voluntary from people who have full time jobs to keep as well makes things difficult.

We have a temporary page on www.athlonetownfc.ie at the moment which carries the latest news.

Youths4Ever
14/05/2008, 6:23 PM

You have obviously never tried to keep a website up to date it's not that easy. Club's you mention are probably paying for their site upkeep and design. A lot of clubs can't afford that and websites are run by volunteers.
In an ideal world clubs could afford to have people working on them full time or at least part time as previously mentioned then are gateway to club but an expensive one.

I was on it last week looking for information on the FAI Youth Cup Final and thought it was quite a good little site actually.

There is a bit of info up on it now if it was not there when you where on. Squad list, path to final only went up monday or so.

Not bad at all, however, they might change the Cobh Ramblers from .com to a .ie
Passed on the message :)

dcfc_1928
14/05/2008, 6:35 PM
Sam has hit the nail on the head.

As one of the volunteers of the Derry City site, it can be very time consuming it's impossible to keep everything up to date.

And information from the club e.g. news on who might be doubtful for upcoming games etc. can be hard to get.

I wish we had a full-time team of online journalists to look after the DCFC website, but we don't.

Its getting the voluntary man power. Every person working on our website are working in full time employment and most have families too.

Gareth
14/05/2008, 9:33 PM
websites consume all time and space you provide :)

pete
14/05/2008, 11:33 PM
Galway is one of the best sites. Don't understand why anyone thinks new Drogs one is good.