PDA

View Full Version : Arrogance from European Teams

Shelsman
31/07/2003, 2:01 PM
I read in the papers before last nights match that the Rosenborg Manager ( not coach -as both have been quoted ) said that Shels would struggle to avoid relegation in the Norwegian league and that Bohs would only be marginally better. Well if last night was anything to go by, I'd say that Bohs would finish second, and Shels third or fourth! Bear in mind that Rosenborg are around 10 points clear in their league, so the rest of them can't be up to much.

More arrogance: before the first round of the Champions League was even played, the BATE Borisov manager was talking about playing Rosenborg and presumed Bohs would be a walk over ( I'd love to hear what he said after the second leg! ).

There's more! the Odra Wodislaw manager invited Liam Buckley to their training session in Poland ( no doubt to teach him how it's done ). Again I'd love to hear what he had to say afterwards ( what's it like to lose both legs? ).

Peadar
31/07/2003, 2:19 PM
Rosenborg have won 11 consecutive national league titles in Norway which has given them a consistent passage into the preliminary rounds of the CL and have successfully negotiated the early rounds to make it through to the league series of the competition for eight years in a row.

While that may be impressive for Rosenborg, it doesn't say much for the standard of their league.
There can't be many European leagues where one team has such a monoply.
Quite sad really!

pete
31/07/2003, 4:39 PM
Rosenborg seem to regularily beat teams in their own league by 4 or 5 goals. If they can only beat Bohs by 1 goal that would hardly maybe irish teams relegation fodder in the Norway.

I certainly remember Rosenborg being a lot more impressive against Shels than what I saw last night at Dalymount. Rosenborg did not dominate Bohs at all last night & all that really stood between the teams was about 3 inches per player.

:o

Shelsman
31/07/2003, 4:52 PM
But the worst thing is that Paul Doolin said that 'you could see the huge gap between League of Ireland Clubs and Rosenborg'.

What match was he watching?

I can see his point about the one-touch football but I thought the two sides were evenly matched ( Rosenborg being VERY slightly better if at all ).

pineapple stu
31/07/2003, 5:41 PM
To be fair, I always had the impression that Rosenborg could step up if they wanted to. They were playing it around really well and had the Bohs defence stretched on a few occasions - yer man should have scored in the second half when he was clean through. There was a bit of a difference between the sides. That said, who knows what might have happened if Bobby Ryan hadn't insisted on going around another two players every time he got into a decent crossing position?:mad:

pete
31/07/2003, 6:00 PM
Originally posted by Shelsman
But the worst thing is that Paul Doolin said that 'you could see the huge gap between League of Ireland Clubs and Rosenborg'.

As a club & individual players rosenborg are way ahead of Bohs or any eL team. They had maybe 7-8 Norwegian internationals in their team plus a few on the bench! Rosenborg have based their success on their home form so next week will be interesting.

I think the biggest difference was the physique of both teams. Summer football has definitely come some way to leveling the pitch for euro game also.

Éanna
01/08/2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by pete
They had maybe 7-8 Norwegian internationals in their team plus a few on the bench!
heard that all 11 rosenborg players were internationals. Really Bohs looked about 2 or 3 players short of being equal to them. A draw would have been a fair result IMO. We're not up to their standard yet, but we are getting there. compare with shels game a few years back and it shows how far we've come. Also, rosenborg probably the toughest draw in that round. If Bohs had got one of the weaker teams, I'd say they'd be nearly through by now. Gives us a lot of hope.

tiktok
01/08/2003, 1:02 AM
just to add to what Eanna said, Rosenborg are also in the middle of their season, so Bohs played them at their peak.

a different draw might have led to a different result, but there wern't any real negatives from the night. and it's not over....

southside bohs
01/08/2003, 3:56 PM
bohs could have done with a niall quinn,paul osam on wednesday night.
rosenborg will step it up a gear on wednesday but so will bohs as they have too.i remember aberdeen when bohs were losing 1-0 with ten minutes to go and bohs got two late goals to win the match so until that whistle goes on wednesday were still in it.
rosenborg have all ex internationals and brattback was the worst player seen in dalyer(how did he miss).
i would love it if bohs went through but to be real bohs will problay go out but im not giving up hope.one goal overthere will put us on level terms with bohs in the driving seat,another goal well that will make you shed a tear.

bohs are not out of it yet and what even better we'll see it on the telly,com'on boooooohs