View Full Version : FAI Cup 2008

DmanDmythDledge
12/05/2008, 7:29 PM
Away vs Monaghan. I'll take that.

Match to be played June 6th at 7.45pm.

Anyone driving back after the game?

HarpoJoyce
12/05/2008, 8:03 PM
We've played them before in the Cup at Gortakeegan. 4-0 to UCD.
Straightforward enough. I'm pretty sure we were preimer Division by then.

Magicme
12/05/2008, 8:23 PM
Balls gonna be at a wedding in Dublin and miss this one. Bad draw for us, small crowd and not likely to win it.

HarpoJoyce
12/05/2008, 8:33 PM
Balls gonna be at a wedding in Dublin and miss this one. Bad draw for us, small crowd and not likely to win it.

Sorry to hear that, I think Monaghan will give us a run for their money. We are a bit slow at scoring lately.

Magicme
12/05/2008, 8:45 PM
Have you seen our tally of scores? 5 goals so far, not exactly top notch either! Things are hopefully changing and just been speaking to Cook and he is happy with the draw so maybe I will have a good nites sleep and find my optimism again.

John83
12/05/2008, 8:51 PM
Sorry to hear that, I think Monaghan will give us a run for their money. We are a bit slow at scoring lately.
We hadn't much trouble against first division sides in preseason. Still, you never know.

I'll give this one a miss - there's a tournament I want to play in that weekend.

pineapple stu
12/05/2008, 8:53 PM
I'm going to head from Monaghan to Tramore after I'd say.

Poor Student
12/05/2008, 9:03 PM
On a personal note with my mother's half of the family coming from Monaghan I'm delighted to get the chance to take a trip up. It's also a good draw and a chance to see a new ground.

HarpoJoyce
12/05/2008, 9:19 PM
On a personal note with my mother's half of the family coming from Monaghan I'm delighted to get the chance to take a trip up. It's also a good draw and a chance to see a new ground.

You know I have never seen their old ground Belgium park in the town. One reason they left it was because more people used to watch their games from outside the stadium then paid in.

Poor Student
12/05/2008, 9:45 PM
You know I have never seen their old ground Belgium park in the town. One reason they left it was because more people used to watch their games from outside the stadium then paid in.

Funny, in one way it's actually a good thing that people would bother to do that.

Magicme
12/05/2008, 10:36 PM
If I wasnt away I would take you and show you Belgium Park. Still used by Junior clubs and our juveniles at present while development works being done at our Regional Development Centre.

I'd say Ger O'Callaghan would be eager to play this game.

DmanDmythDledge
06/06/2008, 3:44 PM
From ucdsoccer.com (http://www.ucdsoccer.com/index.php?a=51):

UCD will be missing four of regular first team starting XI for Friday's Cup game away to Monaghan United tomorrow night.

Paul Byrne, Alan Mahon, Timmy Purcell, and Ronan Finn are all unavailable for the game due to injury. UCD manager Pete Mahon said that while the injuries were a concern, their timing was fortunate with the squad having two weeks to recover between Friday's match and their next league game.

"It couldn't have come at a better time," said Mahon. "We hope that three of them [Finn, Mahon, and Purcell] will be fit again in time for the Sligo game."

The trip to Monaghan comes a week after the Students recorded just their second league win of the season. "It was a long time coming and it was a bit overdue as well," said Mahon.

The UCD manager said Friday's clash would place UCD in unfamiliar territory. "We'll be favourites for a change," said Mahon. "We're playing away from home and they'll have nothing to lose, so Monaghan will be up for it. Every game presents its own challenges. If our boys are up for it then I don't see any reason why we can't win."
Will be interesting to see if Forsyth gets a runout- he's seemed to have fallen completely out of favour. I would like to see Fitz upfront and Reilly on the right. Hopefully Ger O'Callaghan will get a chance to impress as he underperformed when he got a chance in the League Cup.

Article also seems to confirm that Paul Byrne will be out for a long spell.

Poor Student
07/06/2008, 10:42 AM
Fair play to Monagahan, they weren't very good technically but they were well organised and stuck to their task. For the most part they kept us out of creating chances and they had two good opportunities to take the game. Very nice setup there too. Full marks to the Mon dogs too, I ate 20% of the nice lady's stock last night.

John83
09/06/2008, 2:35 PM
Full marks to the Mon dogs too, I ate 20% of the nice lady's stock last night.
We'll have to keep you away from the kennel club so.

When's the replay?

pineapple stu
09/06/2008, 4:05 PM
Tuesday the 24th, I think.

HarpoJoyce
09/06/2008, 8:59 PM
Very lucky to be still in the competition. Sure we should have taken our chances early in the match, but Monaghan Utd. matched us with their own gilt-edged chances later on.

Still in it though.

Magicme
09/06/2008, 9:07 PM
Thanks to that result and performances I am now barred from our matches..........:o

HarpoJoyce
10/06/2008, 8:50 AM
MNS has us playing the replay
Monday 23rd June ko 19:45.

I remember from memory an expected replay was going to be on the Monday aswell.

DmanDmythDledge
10/06/2008, 10:17 AM
Surprised it's on the Monday as that only gives us two days to recover as we are playing Sligo the previous Saturday.

pineapple stu
10/06/2008, 3:53 PM
MNS has us playing the replay
Monday 23rd June ko 19:45.

I remember from memory an expected replay was going to be on the Monday aswell.
Yeah, that's correct; was posted here at the time. Though dmanetc's surprise is justified.

DmanDmythDledge
15/06/2008, 3:06 PM
Changed to Tuesday.
http://extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/524/

HarpoJoyce
15/06/2008, 3:48 PM
I have a question (I have alot of questions....but you know).

Will I be able to make it back from Killester Utd's Hadden Park (ko 17:45) after 90 mins, for the game in the Bowl?

Second question,....should I ask a Sligo Rovers fan where Hadden Park is?
I only know one mate whose family are involved at Killester Utd.

Magicme
15/06/2008, 7:18 PM
As far as I was concerned it was always on the Tuesday! Thats what we had been told so am glad its been cleared up now.

DmanDmythDledge
24/06/2008, 1:28 PM
Forgot about the replay tonight. Should win, but you never know...

HarpoJoyce
24/06/2008, 9:54 PM
Well that didn't last too long.

Robbie Collins scored with a long drive mid-way through the first half after two UCD defenders gave him the space to shoot. Monaghan Utd. also had a shot off the post from a break-away move in the 92nd minute.

In between UCD had plenty of posession and created alot of set pieces, it was not as frustration to look at because of the amount of ball we had.

Two things I hadn't seen in a while, a UCD shot from the edge of the box was cleared with a last ditch diving header from a UCD forward and a Monaghan UTD throw never reached the playing area and had to be retaken.

I have seen Monaghan Utd. beat us at Belfield before.

After EDit
FAI don't half rub it in.
' Monaghan topple Premier Division UCD in FAI Ford Cup replay '
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3279&Itemid=9

pineapple stu
24/06/2008, 10:40 PM
What were the FAI supposed to say?

Don't often criticise Pete, cos he's done a tremendous job with us the past five years, but I think he got the team selection badly wrong tonight. 4-5-1 against Monaghan at home is just wrong, and dropping Fitz, who was the main headache for Mons in the first game, was equally curious. No surprise we dominated the second half, with most of our play going through him.

Bugger it anyway. Still, at least we won't be focussing on the Cup at the end of the season at the expense of the last few league games. I think that defeat sealed Galway's relegation. :)

DmanDmythDledge
24/06/2008, 11:31 PM
Don't often criticise Pete, cos he's done a tremendous job with us the past five years, but I think he got the team selection badly wrong tonight... and dropping Fitz, who was the main headache for Mons in the first game, was equally curious. No surprise we dominated the second half, with most of our play going through him.
We would have been better off if Fitz had been left on the bench. Not once did he beat the full back. Almost all of our play in the second half was long balls so don't know how most of our play went through him.

Mr Maroon
25/06/2008, 12:13 AM
I think that defeat sealed Galway's relegation. :)
We'll manage relegation all by ourselves. :(

Magicme
25/06/2008, 9:31 AM
Am split in two over this victory. Delighted we beat a Premier side and stayed in the cup but gutted coz I am now barred from all away games as they lose everytime I am there.

HarpoJoyce
25/06/2008, 10:28 AM
09/06/2008 after first game at KCH Park

Thanks to that result and performances I am now barred from our matches..........:o

25/06/2008 after replay at Belfield Bowl

Am split in two over this victory. Delighted we beat a Premier side and stayed in the cup but gutted coz I am now barred from all away games as they lose everytime I am there.

Magicme, have you just become unemployable or some Rogue Offical forever destined to wander outside the gates of whichever Stadium Monaghan United happen to be playing in...?

pineapple stu
25/06/2008, 12:45 PM
We would have been better off if Fitz had been left on the bench. Not once did he beat the full back. Almost all of our play in the second half was long balls so don't know how most of our play went through him.
You're very quick to brand play as hoof ball or long ball; it leads me to think that you don't understand the term.

We didn't really play long ball. What happened was that we played it about so bloody slowly that Monaghan had plenty of time to get back and close the gaps. Monaghan hoofed the ball. We dallied, turned back, and played it back to the defence. We wouldn't have had 80% of second half possession if we were doing the same thing as Monaghan.

Fitz did have trouble against his marker, it's true. He didn't really beat him. But he did often cut back inside him, creating chances. I think it was his shot, for example, that Allie Mac headed off the line (or he set up the chance, at least).

In any event, he could have been played up front, as in the game in Monaghan, when he won the penalty, was fouled for the red card and generally caused headaches all night.

HarpoJoyce
25/06/2008, 12:52 PM

Fitz did have trouble against his marker, it's true. He didn't really beat him. But he did often cut back inside him, creating chances. I think it was his shot, for example, that Allie Mac headed off the line (or he set up the chance, at least).......

This chance came initially from a corner that was half-cleared.

DmanDmythDledge
25/06/2008, 12:57 PM
You're very quick to brand play as hoof ball or long ball; it leads me to think that you don't understand the term.

We didn't really play long ball. What happened was that we played it about so bloody slowly that Monaghan had plenty of time to get back and close the gaps. Monaghan hoofed the ball. We dallied, turned back, and played it back to the defence. We wouldn't have had 80% of second half possession if we were doing the same thing as Monaghan.

Fitz did have trouble against his marker, it's true. He didn't really beat him. But he did often cut back inside him, creating chances. I think it was his shot, for example, that Allie Mac headed off the line (or he set up the chance, at least).
I would consider balls that go in the air from our defence to our striker as hoofballs. The vast majority of balls in the second half were long balls.

Yes, he did cross the ball to the back post for that chance. But that was all he did, which does not amount to most of our play going through him.

Magicme
25/06/2008, 12:58 PM
09/06/2008 after first game at KCH Park

25/06/2008 after replay at Belfield Bowl

Magicme, have you just become unemployable or some Rogue Offical forever destined to wander outside the gates of whichever Stadium Monaghan United happen to be playing in...?

There has been talk of me being barred from all games alright but I put forward in my defence that I was present at our home wins this year so I cant be bringing bad luck at home!

pineapple stu
25/06/2008, 4:47 PM
I would consider balls that go in the air from our defence to our striker as hoofballs. The vast majority of balls in the second half were long balls.
If they reached their target, then that's completely different to Monaghan's style, to which you likening it in the eL forum. And most of the play still wasn't hoofball - it was spread out to the wings and built (slowly) from there.

which does not amount to most of our play going through him.
I think it does actually. But in any case, that wasn't anywhere near the sum of his contribution.

DmanDmythDledge
25/06/2008, 11:30 PM
And most of the play still wasn't hoofball - it was spread out to the wings and built (slowly) from there.
First half was almost completely on the ground, but second half team started to panic and long balls were played the majority of the time.

I think it does actually. But in any case, that wasn't anywhere near the sum of his contribution.
One cross?:D

It was.

pineapple stu
26/06/2008, 5:22 PM
The notes I made at the time indicate that the second time Monaghan cleared off the line also came from a cross from Fitz, and he also had a shot deflected wide from the edge of the box for a corner when he cut in...past the un-go-past-able defender. He did plenty.