PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Casey

vssn
31/07/2003, 8:12 AM
Examiner has it that City have signed left sided midfielder Ryan Casey from St Pats, also Hedderman has been transferred to Derry. Is he the solution to our midfield woes?

Peadar
31/07/2003, 9:29 AM
31/07/03
City sign Casey from St Pat’s

By Bill George
CORK City yesterday signed Ryan Casey from St Patrick’s Athletic. He will make his debut in tomorrow’s National League game against Derry City at Turner’s Cross.
Cork yesterday also transferred Robert Hedderman to Derry City. Dublin-born Hedderman joined Cork from Aberdeen earlier this season, and played several matches in the league for them. Cork manager Pat Dolan signed Casey for St Pat’s after he had helped Ireland to win the European U18 Championship under Brian Kerr in 1996.

Casey played a number of games for St Pat’s at the beginning of the season but his career has not been helped by a series of unfortunate injuries.

Cork’s manager Pat Dolan yesterday said: “I am delighted to have re-established my involvement with Ryan. He was an outstanding prospect when he helped win the European Championship at youth level and he has the potential to become a top-class player with us.”

Casey is a left-sided player who has played most of his football in midfield and has also figured with St Pat’s in attack. “He will probably not start against Derry but is certain to play some part in the game,” said Dolan

http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/sport/Full_Story/did-sgNviXAKR6A8-sglO-LCk0lQvU.asp

NorthoftheLee
31/07/2003, 10:31 AM
heard a defender is on the way too....full time...Does that rule out DC coming back or is he on leave from the job? Could be someone completely new...

We need someone in the middle of the park so Casey wont be able to help there.

Kevin Doyle up front, casey on the left, GOC dropping back???:confused:

patsh
31/07/2003, 10:37 AM
Is this guy the answer to our midfield problem?
Again Dolan is talking about "potential".
We need proven experience now, not some time in the future.
Hopefully he works out, and is not another signing for the under-21's.
BTW, I wonder will Hedderman play against us tomorrow? Derry were very poor last night, I really hope they play against us like they did aginst Ramblers, we'll murder them.

Peadar
31/07/2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by patsh
I really hope they play against us like they did aginst Ramblers, we'll murder them.

If we play against them like we did against Shels it's going to be a dull game full of errors and frayed tempers!

Dodge
31/07/2003, 10:49 AM
Casey's 23/24 so he really should be fulfilling that potential by now (the U18 team was in 1998)

He's quick on one on ones but he's so lacksodasical (sp?) its unreal. Never really figured for us and was released about a month ago. Good striker of the ball but his reluctance to play a quick pass frustrated many. Think he only started once for us and most of his appearances were at left back. Contrary to the above report, he didn't play up front for us.

Glad he's gone to be honest

yiddo
31/07/2003, 12:36 PM
The question mark over Casey is whether he's good enough for the team not just the squad.

IMHO What we need now are players who are good enough to go straight into the team. I think we have enough "squad" players .

Troy.McClure
31/07/2003, 2:26 PM
Ya, we should be aiming for the likes of Bobby Ryan or Richie Baker not someone who cant get his game for Pats.

I still cant believe that we didnt sign Ryan from Galway because we wouldnt pay the 6,000 they wanted for him :o :( :rolleyes:

Eric
31/07/2003, 2:31 PM
Think Hedderman was only on a month to month contract.

Glad he's gone

pete
31/07/2003, 3:31 PM
IMO Hedderman was ok, maybe he would have been good if playing at centre back? He did try for city & don't think could say he was lazy but in the end he not much better than what we have already.

Casey is unlikely to be a star for city but who knows - maybe Dolan will suit him better?

I'm sure Dolan is looking for experienced players & city will surely have the financial muscle not to miss out on players if money is the only obstacle.

Hitman
31/07/2003, 6:05 PM
I saw Casey playing on the left-wing when he was at Swansea and he looked handy enough. Surely a better bet than sticking centre halves out there anyway.

tiktok
31/07/2003, 8:36 PM
at least it's a left winger for the left wing position. but only dolan could have made a fully pro centre half and an out of contract left winger look like a straight swap. :)

hopefully he'll make a success of it but i hope it's not the stop gap measure that it looks like on paper.

Éanna
31/07/2003, 11:41 PM
Hedderman never got a chance to play in the right position, so I guess we'll never know how good/bad he could have been for us. Casey sounds like an alright player, but we need better than alright at the moment. fingers crossed dolan's got this one right.

wws
01/08/2003, 3:35 PM
not sure if anyone spotted it it but casey also had a trial with WUFC on 27.07.03

Peadar
01/08/2003, 3:45 PM
Originally posted by wws
casey also had a trial with WUFC on 27.07.03

He did but Dolan got wind of it and was on the blower straight away to get him signed.
He was happy to play under Dolan again.

Neil
02/08/2003, 9:30 AM
44?

Excellent signing by the looks of it.
Well done Pat Dolan.
Has a 'cultured left foot' as they say and as soon as we get more people charging into the box to meet his crosses we'll be flying.

patsh
02/08/2003, 9:37 AM
Played well enough last night, I thought. Big lad too, not easy to push off the ball. Got a few really good crosses in.

Éanna
02/08/2003, 2:12 PM
for a fella who probably only met his team mates a day or two before the game I thought he did excellently. He linked up well with billy on the left and put some great crosses in.

ccfc till i die
03/08/2003, 6:05 PM
I was extremely happy with his contribution. Considering what the pats fans wrote about him here I wasn't expecting him to be as good as that.

Cityace
03/08/2003, 6:36 PM
i thought he had a great game.As patsh said, he is a fairly blocky fella.Compared with jofy,georgie and doyler he's huge.

Hopefully he continues to play like that and it wasnt a give it all just for the debut type thing.