PDA

View Full Version : Marc Wilson

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

stiffler
11/05/2008, 12:30 PM
Marc Wilson has been named Portsmouth young player of the season, picked by Harry Redknapp.

Redknapp had alot of good things to say about Marc, although he is still to make his first team debut at Pompey.

http://footballtube.magnify.net/item/L2D1C0QVWZ10Y37H/theater#theater_title

Hes a bit stuck for words there, not like himself at all :p

Marc has been named in Givens under 21 squad for the Malaysia tournament later this month.

Fair play to the lad, hopefully he can make the breakthrough next season.

tetsujin1979
11/05/2008, 1:43 PM
On the bench today VS Fulham

gilberto_eire
11/05/2008, 6:33 PM
Seems he played with N.Ireland at U-17 level. He's 20 now so would want to start making some inroads ASAP.

DmanDmythDledge
11/05/2008, 6:34 PM
Seems he played with N.Ireland at U-17 level. He's 20 now so would want to start making some inroads ASAP.
He's already changed his mind once then so can't do so again.

livehead1
11/05/2008, 7:50 PM
Think Redknapp's been very clever naming him young player of the year. He clearly believes Wilson has ability and this award almost certainly means he will be looking to hold onto him. I think its a message to him, and perhaps other youngster's, that he is paying attention to their development and as such, has clearly noticed an improvement in Wilson over the season.

tetsujin1979
11/05/2008, 8:33 PM
hmmmm.....anyone catch this:
http://bournemouth.rivals.net/Forum/pgePosts.aspx?threadId=93528&boardId=105&clubId=11

geysir
11/05/2008, 9:15 PM
He's already changed his mind once then so can't do so again.
That bit isn't so clear.
But....
If Wilson has only played underage friendlies for us then for sure he can change back to NI before he reaches the age of 21.
Like Tony Kane, who was capped for NI u18's before getting a cap for us in a friendly u21, then he returned to the NI set up.

theworm2345
12/05/2008, 1:07 AM
Marc Wilson has been named Portsmouth young player of the season, picked by Harry Redknapp.

Redknapp had alot of good things to say about Marc, although he is still to make his first team debut at Pompey.

http://footballtube.magnify.net/item/L2D1C0QVWZ10Y37H/theater#theater_title

Hes a bit stuck for words there, not like himself at all :p

Marc has been named in Givens under 21 squad for the Malaysia tournament later this month.

Fair play to the lad, hopefully he can make the breakthrough next season.
That's geeza's site, he runs my site with me

http://www.footballclips.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11448
Thank him there ^ ;):)

stiffler
13/05/2008, 5:40 PM
Marc has withdrawn from the U21 squad for Mayalsia, due to him travelling with the Portsmouth squad to the FA cup final as a non playing reserve.

boovidge
13/05/2008, 9:49 PM
hmmmm.....anyone catch this:
http://bournemouth.rivals.net/Forum/pgePosts.aspx?threadId=93528&boardId=105&clubId=11

yeah i saw that. the programme said he was "camera shy" :D Hot gf though!

I can't make up my mind whether travelling to a cup final you're not going to particpate in is good enough to pull out of U21 duty..I don't think it is.

youngirish
14/05/2008, 9:52 AM
Dammit I wanted to see that. :(

I seen it. His bird is fit as f**k. Fairly on the ball also which surprised me.

seanog2001
14/05/2008, 11:16 AM
I seen it. His bird is fit as f**k. Fairly on the ball also which surprised me.

you can see her website www.chelseawhite.co.uk

EAFC_rdfl
14/05/2008, 1:22 PM
savage bird there, nice website!!

stiffler
17/12/2008, 12:47 PM
Marc's due to make his full debut for pompey in the UEFA cup tonight against Heerenveen.

Paddy Garcia
17/12/2008, 8:21 PM
"Peach of a cross" apparently for a goal !

Fergie's Son
17/12/2008, 8:53 PM
Has he decided who he wants to play for yet?

geysir
17/12/2008, 9:08 PM
He made his decision some 4 or 5 years ago

"I think everybody has their own personal reasons for wanting to play for the Republic or the North. I grew up supporting the Republic so it was a comfortable decision for me."

irishultra
17/12/2008, 9:16 PM
fantastic long rage passing and extremely composed

Portsmouth fan on another forum I post on.

stiffler
17/12/2008, 9:27 PM
Marc is being groomed as a centre back at pompey, though on tonights performance he could be an alternative to Paul McShane at right back!

co. down green
17/12/2008, 9:59 PM
Wilson has been captaining the Portsmouth reserves this season and may get his chance under Tony Adams.

Marc Wilson (http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/Crouch-bags-a-brace-as.4803523.jp) was among the brightest performers on his debut at right-back.

Always been a strong following for Ireland around Aghagallon and Armagh generally, so not surprising he grew up following the Boys in Green.

tetsujin1979
17/12/2008, 10:02 PM
Currently top of the player ratings on sky sports: http://www.skysports.com/football/user_ratings/0,19768,11065_3074960,00.html
Even ahead of Crouch

tricky_colour
18/12/2008, 2:38 AM
Looks very impressive here, three great crosses to Crouch who put one just wide, the other hit the crossbar and the third was a goal!!
Don't know so much what he is like defending but going forward you can't fault him on that performance.

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/index.php?cms_ref=news

Stuttgart88
18/12/2008, 7:41 AM
Thanks for the link TC.

As stiffler said on the first page Tony Adams sees him as a centre-back in the long run. I had thought he was a left back for some reason. Looks like he can cross well either either foot, though of course it helps to have Peter Crouch in the box. If only Aiden McGeady had someone like that to aim for playing for us!

Adams says he wants to send him out on loan to a Championship side.

stiffler
18/12/2008, 3:46 PM
ADAMS: WILSON CAN BE A STAR

Tony Adams forecast a bright future for Marc Wilson after his outstanding display against Heerenveen.

The highlight of Wilson’s first start for Pompey was the cross for Peter Crouch’s opener in Pompey’s 3-0 UEFA Cup win at Fratton Park.

Wilson played as a right-back against the Dutch side but it is as a central defender that Adams believes the 21-year-old will excel.

The Republic of Ireland international put in a series of superb crosses for Crouch, whose two goals take him to 11 for the season.

Adams said: “I was delighted with Marc Wilson. I think he’s got every chance. He’s two-footed, can head the ball and is quick and strong.

“He put in some tremendous crosses from right-back, but I do see him as a centre-back. I think he can do it in the Premier League as a central defender.

“He needs to be playing every week. Unfortunately I think the best thing for me to do with him is to get him out on loan, maybe to a Championship side. I don’t think reserve-team football is probably good enough for him to learn his trade.

“He’s that close, but obviously at the moment he’s not better than Glen Johnson, Sol Campbell or Sylvain Distin.

“His attitude is fantastic. He wants to train and is the first one out and last one in.”

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/index.php?cms_ref=news&qs_slideshow_b3b4_index=&fm_type=&fm_string=&fm_article_page_num=&qs_media=html&qs_articleid=1936

P.s. Co Down Green, Aghagallon is in Co Antrim, not Armagh, dont be getting us mixed up!! :P

paul_oshea
18/12/2008, 3:55 PM
he was caught out badly with a ball over the top in those video highlights

co. down green
18/12/2008, 5:26 PM
P.s. Co Down Green, Aghagallon is in Co Antrim, not Armagh, dont be getting us mixed up!! :P

Apologies stiffler

Didn't mean to insult you ;)

Thought it was North Armagh rather than South West Antrim :confused:

Closed Account
18/12/2008, 10:11 PM
he was caught out badly with a ball over the top in those video highlights

Seen that too. Was taking a step forward and being caught out of position but it was the early stages of his senior debut. Probably nervous.

Adams gave him a bit of a bollicking. Once he did something positive. He was a different player. I'm sure a few people here have been in the same position. I know I have.

The Fly
22/12/2008, 5:41 PM
A new thread just opened on OWC about him. They're 'none too happy' about him turning out for us.
".................them beggars are stealing our players so they are."
You get the jist - :rolleyes:

tricky_colour
22/12/2008, 7:34 PM
A new thread just opened on OWC about him. They're 'none too happy' about him turning out for us.

What's OWC?

The Fly
22/12/2008, 7:37 PM
OurWeeCountry.co.uk

co. down green
22/12/2008, 11:28 PM

Maybe Nigel Worthington will try ringing him again to beg him to play for the North, but i suspect he will get the same answer he got last year.:cool:

tetsujin1979
24/12/2008, 9:17 AM
Adams seems to have changed his mind about letting Wilson out on loan: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4692650,00.html

"Marc is too close to the first-team to loan him out," Adams said in The Sun.

"He did well against Heerenveen in the Uefa Cup and we can't keep clean sheets at the moment."

stiffler
24/12/2008, 9:31 AM
Apologies stiffler

Didn't mean to insult you ;)

Thought it was North Armagh rather than South West Antrim :confused:

Your alright Co Down Green, Aghagallon is in Antrim, though the gaa team plays abit of ball in the North Armagh leagues so i can see how you got confused.

Though- it is actually closer to Down than it is Armagh!! (thank god ;))

By the sounds of things Adams has resigned himself to losing a few defenders in January, possibly Johnsen to Spurs.

Hopefully this will give Marc an opportunity to get some game time in the premier league.

as_i_say
24/12/2008, 10:59 AM
Great news about a premiership right back coming through. You could sympathise with the lads on our wee cuntry but im not gonna.

stiffler
24/12/2008, 9:48 PM
Marc due to make his premier league debut against West Ham on St Stephens day at 1pm.

tommy_c12000
26/12/2008, 11:33 AM
Marc due to make his premier league debut against West Ham on St Stephens day at 1pm.

He has just been confirmed in the starting 11. Best of luck to the goy!

tetsujin1979
26/12/2008, 12:11 PM
Playing at right full

tommy_c12000
26/12/2008, 12:35 PM
Looks very comfortable so far. James made some gaffe for the Hammers goal. Here's a link to the game if any1's interested
http://www.ustream.tv/videoplayerpopup/channel/412111 password=5000.

tommy_c12000
26/12/2008, 2:04 PM
Did well overall. Hit the post with a header as well. Portsmouth unlucky to lose 4-1.

co. down green
26/12/2008, 4:53 PM
Wilson not going out on loan (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4692650,00.html) in the new year

Carrigaline
27/12/2008, 4:39 PM
Didn't have a great game by all accounts.

tommy_c12000
28/12/2008, 1:12 PM
Didn't have a great game by all accounts.

What do u mean "by all accounts"....the BBC player ratings?? They are the biggest load of **** ever. Very inaccurate. I watched the game and he did have a good game despite the result. Watching him against Arsenal at the moment and the commentator just announced that he "had an impressive debut despite the result"

Dr. Ogba
28/12/2008, 1:25 PM
Phil Thompson just singing his praises on Sky there...

rambler14
28/12/2008, 1:26 PM
Thommo says he's playing brilliant vs Arsenal!

Edit: SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

co. down green
28/12/2008, 6:39 PM
Seems to have been another solid display by Wilson today against Arsenal and put a decent cross in for Crouch in the first half.

It was a tough Premiership debut for him against West Ham on Boxing Day as he had to try and deal with Bellamy, but from the reports he did well.

Its a good opportunity for him to try and cement a place in the Portsmouth starting eleven and hopefully be another option for Trap in the future.

kingdomkerry
28/12/2008, 7:03 PM
If he becomes a regular at Portmouth, he has a good chance of making the Ireland team with Finnan and Kelly out injured. Centre back is another option and hopefully he will end up playing there and turn out to be better than Evans.

tetsujin1979
29/12/2008, 2:07 AM
Johnson linked with a move to Liverpool (who never should have sold Finnan in the first place) in January so Wilson could get an extended run in the side at right full

EalingGreen
30/12/2008, 11:17 AM
Centre back is another option and hopefully he will end up playing there and turn out to be better than Evans.

Do you mean Jonny Evans of MU? If so, why do you bring him into it? :confused:

Anyhow, if you are interested in the progress of young Evans, here is an excerpt from today's (English) Daily Telegraph, following MU's 1-0 victory over Boro last night:
"Ferguson also hailed his defence, who have not conceded a League goal for 10 hours and two minutes. 'We are very good defensively,' he said, lavishing particular praise on Jonny Evans, again understudying for the injured Rio Ferdinand. 'He's only 20 but for a young lad he reads the game so well'"
And in his match report, the Telegraph's Chief Football writer, Henry Winter , picked out "the excellent Jonny Evans" for special mention.

Of course, there remain any number of things which may prevent Evans fulfilling his undoubted potential. But at 20 years of age, he is already a hell of a way further down that road than Wilson (21), regardless of what position the latter ends up playing.

kingdomkerry
30/12/2008, 12:43 PM
Do you mean Jonny Evans of MU? If so, why do you bring him into it? :confused:

Anyhow, if you are interested in the progress of young Evans, here is an excerpt from today's (English) Daily Telegraph, following MU's 1-0 victory over Boro last night:
"Ferguson also hailed his defence, who have not conceded a League goal for 10 hours and two minutes. 'We are very good defensively,' he said, lavishing particular praise on Jonny Evans, again understudying for the injured Rio Ferdinand. 'He's only 20 but for a young lad he reads the game so well'"
And in his match report, the Telegraph's Chief Football writer, Henry Winter , picked out "the excellent Jonny Evans" for special mention.

Of course, there remain any number of things which may prevent Evans fulfilling his undoubted potential. But at 20 years of age, he is already a hell of a way further down that road than Wilson (21), regardless of what position the latter ends up playing.

Because they're both from the north east, and as wilson plays for the FAI All Ireland team and Evans plays for the IFA provincial team it is obvious that they are going to be compared.

I would agree Evans is going to be a great player.

third policeman
30/12/2008, 12:55 PM
Johnson linked with a move to Liverpool (who never should have sold Finnan in the first place) in January so Wilson could get an extended run in the side at right full

Speaking as a Liverpool fan, I would much prefer them to buy Foley than Johnson. He would cost a loit less and provide a lot more.