PDA

View Full Version : Ireland v Holland predictions

pete
29/08/2001, 10:16 AM
Been a while since we had a poll so.....

James
29/08/2001, 10:20 AM
Draw 1-1 cant see that Irish defence keeping a clean sheet, and think we can nick a goal....hopefully we only conceed one though..but it's a big hope...this is kindof a head says one thing, heart says the other kinda situation..but then I've spent so many years in UCC now and still havent got a job ( celtic tiger or not) so what does my head know. so i'm going for the draw

pete
29/08/2001, 11:08 AM
I agree, we have to score to have a chance! The best we can do is score 1 goal & then I think we could hold Holland to the same. I'm far from optimistic though. Could be a similar game to Portugal in June - played off the park but snatching a draw.

Pauro 76
29/08/2001, 1:39 PM
Its the result that counts, Lansdowne Road is like a fortress for us, i fancy our chances of snatching a draw without playing particularly well. Keane really needs to find his scoring boots for us to have a chance.

pete
29/08/2001, 2:33 PM
IMO he became an international too early in his career. Now that hes got a few years older & got a bit heavier hes slower on his feet & really hasn't learned anything since first making the breakthrough.

If its a decision between Duff & Robbie Keane then Duff has to get the nod. Duff may not be an out 'n out striker but he will get us lots of freekicks which are probably the only way we can hope to score too.

Also, the atmosphere at Landsdowne is c**p! Full of ole ole & bar stool "fans"! I'd guess a lot of the people on saturday have probably never stood on a terrace!

gypsydownunder
30/08/2001, 8:59 AM
Guys, why so much pessimism???

I'll say we'll win 1-0.

Holland are not as good as they are made out to be. They nearly lost to Estonia and don't play with the same spirit as we do. For Kluivert and Van the man, substitute Van Basten and Guilit a few years ago - great names on paper, but we held out against them.

Secondly, I think their great "win" against England will help us. The Brits didn't even work up a sweat.

Finally surely on the law of averages, we are due a bit of luck against of all teams, the Dutch (Gelsenkirchen, Orlando, Anfield etc).

Yes for me it's HUP IERLAND HUP.

Wish I was there in Lansdowne, but I'll be watching it live down here in Sydney. By the way can somebody help me out here (memory fading)...

Did we beat Holland 2-1 (Lawerson diving header?) the last time we played them in Lansdowne, late 70's I think. In 83 the game was transfered to Dalyer (work on the east stand) and we lost 3-2 after being 2-0 up (Gullits debut, I think). **** did Ruud really make his Holland debut at Dalymount??

Neil
30/08/2001, 9:46 AM
Ireland 2-0 Holland
(Duff and Holland)

Xlex
30/08/2001, 10:00 AM
Could you edit the poll to include the ass whooping Ireland will get If Keano is forced out after the hour mark!!

His fitness is a little suspect.....:(

gypsydownunder
30/08/2001, 10:35 AM
Sorry, Neil's message has just reminded me to point out the blatantly obviously irony that will be attached to our 1-0 win.

Holland (Matt) will score and send tabloid sub-editors and trivia buffs into a frenzy.

Holland 1 Dutch 0! etc

Pauro 76
30/08/2001, 1:56 PM
Thats tempting fate a bit though.... But remember when a Patrick for Holland beat us, its revenge time, Holland to get the winner! (Mattie that is...)

Martystapo
30/08/2001, 4:18 PM
If Keane and Quinn play up front, then 1-1. If Quinn and Duff play, then we will win 1-0.

The dutch in my eyes are getting a bit big for their boots. Don't read into that England result. The English didn't simply play.

Xlex
30/08/2001, 5:21 PM
How do you explain that by changing the strike pairing we'll concede one goal less.

It depends on wheither or not Richard 'flipper' Dunne (with half a pound of lead up his ass) and Steve 'zimmer frame' Staunton get to hoof the ball of the toe of Kluivert and Van Nistlerooy!!!

Van Nistle to score twice, Duff/Roy Keane to get one and Niall Quinn.

I have this feeling Niall will break his duck at his finest hour.

Wouldn't mind Robbie doing the same!!

And are we not happy the English got whooped in White Hart Lane

dinny
30/08/2001, 9:03 PM
I'd say please God a draw and i'll have the rosary beads the lot with me on saturday at the match !!!
We can't keep them scoreless but i think we can nick one through big Niall. We have totaly written ourselves for this one. The Dutch will have read the papers and might get a bit ****y.The only thing we can not do on saturday is sit back and hope for a draw, they will murder us if we do. We have to attack them and even dare I say it in a throwback to the old days of put "em under pressure". It wouldn't be pretty but if we can ride our luck, we will scrape through JUST

The Legend
30/08/2001, 10:07 PM
Yes, we must once more call upon our donkey defence to act like the supermen they sometimes turn into for the big games.

Hear ye Hear ye,

If Staunton does not cause us to lose this match i will never slant the guy ever again i promise.

Later,
The Legend

Neil
31/08/2001, 7:58 AM
Staunton is doing a job that he has been asked to do. Give the guy a break, he has been an almighty servant to Irish teams since '88.

Some people wouldn't raise their voice for their country, some people even **** off to warmer climates...

Brine
31/08/2001, 11:44 AM
Ray Houghton has also been an almighty servant to Irish football, but that doesn't mean I want him to play on Saturday...

And if somebody finds a job in California and decides to move there, then fair play to them!

The Legend
01/09/2001, 1:29 AM
Thanks,

I think having to get up at 5am and drive 100 miles just to watch the match in a pub is the downside to living in warmth.

I dont know what the problem is, i said i would STOP harrassing Staunton.

(That's how confident i am we will get through).

And a playoff place against an asian team...
how bad!

Later,
Legend

The Legend
01/09/2001, 8:13 PM
Fair play to the lads,

Must be up there in the top 3 soccer wins after england in 88 and italy in 84.

Fair play to Staunton despite his 3 attempts to score for holland.
Other than that he held out well in the end.

We may as well have being playing with 13 men in the end (Keane being worth 4 people)

Back to the drink now,
The Legend.

Neil
02/09/2001, 7:42 AM
Staunton is THE Legend. With 10 minutes to go he was hanging from the effort he had put in, what a star...

He wasn't sipping Daiquiris in Cali...

The Legend
04/09/2001, 9:29 PM
Ha!ha! that's pretty funny, thanks.

Xlex
05/09/2001, 9:50 AM
Originally posted by Xlex
Could you edit the poll to include the ass whooping Ireland will get If Keano is forced out after the hour mark!!

His fitness is a little suspect.....

Apologies, thought I'ld balance the thread at the time, fruitless thing to do though, as I am severly wrong, I believed all the horsesh!t the tabloids were talking. And Keano... Brilliant

Happy to be wrong though!!!