PDA

View Full Version : Cork away

prodsc
09/05/2008, 7:09 PM
cant get rte mw service but from text we are 1-0 down.

Anyone got team news?

red bellied
09/05/2008, 7:13 PM
http://www.corkcityfc.ie/views/matchday.php

Red4Eva
09/05/2008, 7:23 PM
cork are dominating according to KO'D's update on ocean at 10 past. he'll be on again at half...hopefully we're still in it at that stage

redtildead
09/05/2008, 7:24 PM
Updates on all games on Long Wave 252 if yere lookin

prodsc
09/05/2008, 7:47 PM
meant to say LW ON RTE.IE not happening for me on here but corkcity updates are good(except for score!!) tanks

forza rovers
09/05/2008, 7:51 PM
http://www.rte.ie/radio/liveplayer_av.html?1,null,200,http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/live/radio/radio1.smil

deecay
09/05/2008, 8:02 PM
Ski gave Sligoman,Feo and Keith free tickets.What a man

red bellied
09/05/2008, 8:12 PM
Mc Kenzie sent off

prodsc
09/05/2008, 8:16 PM
should have had a peno from dat incident from rte..

deecay
09/05/2008, 8:16 PM
Sligoman saying Devine even said it was a peno??

deecay
09/05/2008, 8:34 PM
Chris Butler sent off

red bellied
09/05/2008, 8:34 PM
Butler sent off.

prodsc
09/05/2008, 8:37 PM
butler off and beat 1-0

Boo_Boy
09/05/2008, 8:38 PM
FFS, why do players go into tackles in injury time on a yellow card?

i'll never understand it.

prodsc
09/05/2008, 8:41 PM
and RTE online diverting to fm constantly!

Thanks to the Cork City updates

Da Real Rover
10/05/2008, 12:53 AM
1-0 against Cork with 9 men, nothing for the lads to beat themselves up over.

DonalE
10/05/2008, 1:08 AM
Not a good performance tonight, never really looked like scoring.Some terrible defending for Mooney's goal, when he got the ball on the edge of the box nobody closed him down and he had loads of time to shoot and took it well. Only for poor finishing from Cork it'd have been a much worse score line from our point of view. Should have had a penalty though when McKenzie was fouled but the ref gave him a second yellow for diving. I'd say we had 6 or 7 players booked altogether; McKenzie and Butler (obviously) then Raff, Ventre, Moore and I think Almeida was too, could have been more as it was hard to keep track.

Not an enjoyable trip anyways :mad:

red bellied
10/05/2008, 7:17 AM
If it is proven by video evidence that McKenzie didnt dive for peno then any ban against him should be receded. That ref needs a ban by the sound of it.

DonalE
10/05/2008, 9:30 AM
If it is proven by video evidence that McKenzie didnt dive for peno then any ban against him should be receded. That ref needs a ban by the sound of it.

There is also photographic evidence by the legendary Sligo Rovers photographer Michael Melly..........

It might be a bit out of focus though :D

Knappagh Red
10/05/2008, 10:01 AM
Well done Donal you got to Sligo two hours before we got to Dublin, we were outplayed by Cork and couldn"t get out of our own half for most of the game Devine could have sat in the stand, haven't seen a Rovers team outclassed like that in years

deecay
10/05/2008, 10:04 AM
I taught it was Raf who went down for the peno and got a yellow for diving and Mc Kenzie got one for mouthing

micls
10/05/2008, 10:10 AM
I was surprised/disappointed with Sligo last night. After the 2 hammerings you gave us last season I was expecting more.

But then again we weren't great either. Fairly poor game, awful refereeing-penalty for you and Behans goal for us. Ffs 9 yellows in a game without a bad tackle.

Anyway see you up in the Showgrounds later on this year...hopefully a similar result :D

Boo_Boy
10/05/2008, 10:18 AM
Anyway see you up in the Showgrounds later on this year

oh it shall be interesting, Corkies & Scousers..i cant wait:D

sligofan4ever
10/05/2008, 10:18 AM
Hope they can make up for the result against st.pats despite the fact we already lost 3-1 to them this season. But 6 games unbeaten is good for us only for poor defending couldve had a scoreless draw. but I also wouldnt have minded seeing us move up to 3rd place and with Butler out for the Pats game who would be a good centre back partner for Peers ?.

sligoman
10/05/2008, 10:35 AM
with Butler out for the Pats game who would be a good centre back partner for Peers ?.:rolleyes:, Butler doesn't play centre back, when will you realise that? Almeida and Peers are our first choice centre backs, McKenzie as back up.

That ref should be shot, and the lino for not flagging it either considering he was right in line with it.

sligofan4ever
10/05/2008, 10:46 AM
:rolleyes:, Butler doesn't play centre back, when will you realise that? Almeida and Peers are our first choice centre backs, McKenzie as back up.

That ref should be shot, and the lino for not flagging it either considering he was right in line with it.

Sorry keep mixing them up fine who will be LEFT BACK for us with Butler and McKenzie both suspended for this next one

sligoman
10/05/2008, 10:52 AM
Sorry keep mixing them up fine who will be LEFT BACK for us with Butler and McKenzie both suspended for this next oneThis lad (http://dynimg.rte.ie/0000d02710dr.jpg):cool:

sligofan4ever
10/05/2008, 10:54 AM
This lad (http://dynimg.rte.ie/0000d02710dr.jpg):cool:

Ahh Foyzer havent seen him all season (missed tuesday game too) ive forgotten hes even with Sligo Rovers and also about Gary Curran was it worth his while renwing his contract hes been a benchwarmer so far this season

The Good Son
10/05/2008, 11:21 AM
I taught it was Raf who went down for the peno and got a yellow for diving and Mc Kenzie got one for mouthing

This is what it looked like to me as well. I was in the St Annes end and commented at the time that the player that was brought down got a yellow, after the red had been shown. There seemed to be a small bit of shoving on or around the ref and that is what I presumed the red was for.

sligoman
10/05/2008, 11:24 AM
It was definitely McKenzie brought down and got yellow[his 2nd of the game] for diving. Raf got booked for mouthing to the ref/linesman after McKenzie got sent off.

Rovers fan
10/05/2008, 4:25 PM
did curran do much when he came on?

Rovers1
10/05/2008, 5:22 PM
did curran do much when he came on?

did absoulutely nothing as usual, ball came in from a Moore cross very late on and Curran was last man at back post, just watched it go over his head :mad:

we deserved a penalty too, even Mick Devine and Ski agreed with us, Hanney was terrible, gave us a free when Raf upended Kearney and booked McKenzie 3 times!!

90minutes
10/05/2008, 6:12 PM
did absoulutely nothing as usual, ball came in from a Moore cross very late on and Curran was last man at back post, just watched it go over his head :mad:

what do you mean - as usual
he never gets a chance to show what he can do

deecay
10/05/2008, 7:35 PM
A few pics http://corkcityfc.ie/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=26

Rovers1
11/05/2008, 11:27 AM
what do you mean - as usual
he never gets a chance to show what he can do

fair enough he hasnt been fit this season but he has been a passenger for 3 seasons now and every time he plays for Rovers shows no real potential or enough talent to start for a Premier Division EL team. IF he was good enough surely he would have played more games for Rovers over the last 3 years than he has.

clubman
11/05/2008, 12:38 PM
Being a Rovers supporter for as long as I have it always amazes me how us supporters will always give the import more the benifit of the doubt over the local. I've watch Gary progress through the ranks from a tender age and I'm as sure as I can be that the lad has the potential to make it in the league of Ireland. The fact that he is not getting regular football is not of his doing. He's a young lad that lacks the confidence required at the moment. Confidence will only come by inclusion. To say the lad has no potential when going on the few minutes he has been included to now is wrong. Realistically what player has shown potential on a consistant basis over the season so far? It's not fair to single out any player and draw comparisions. Rovers need local players and we supporters need to encourage the locals.

DocRovers
11/05/2008, 1:11 PM
Clubman, I agree ALL players need encouragement & that Gary showed some good signs at the start of last year. But this thing of dividing players into locals & non locals - like they are different in terms of entitlement to play for Rovers, their committment to the cause etc etc is not productive. If they are good enough give them a chance regardless of where they are from. It seems most local players once they have blooded themselves with the Rovers move on if they get a better offer elsewhere, or else dont want to represent their local team - Gavin Dykes, Johnny Kenny, Ciaran Martin. You would'nt want to rely on that.

neutrino
11/05/2008, 1:24 PM
It seems most local players once they have blooded themselves with the Rovers move on if they get a better offer elsewhere, or else dont want to represent their local team - Gavin Dykes, Johnny Kenny, Ciaran Martin. You would'nt want to rely on that.

well you picked 3 bad examples there. Everyone knows why Dykes left Rovers. Johnny Kenny left for a better contract up North - becuase he was local they offered him less than his worth and was on. Not the first time the club wanted him on the cheap. Ciaran Martin went to college in UCD and any chance to come to us have never arisen since. I'm sure he'd love to play for Rovers at some stage.

Also Raf Cretaro went to Galway previously becuase of a falling out over what he asked to be paid. An amount he would almost definitely got if he was non-local.

As long as our managers come over from the UK there'll always be a sort of non-local bias over local players. These manager's have to pander to non-local players to get them over in the first place so when push comes to shove they're not going to drop their import over a local player.

Rovers fan
11/05/2008, 1:53 PM
To be fair to curran when he got a run in the team at the start of last season he looked like a promising player. I think the injury(was it in the game against derry?) came for him at the worst possible time,just when he seemed to be commanding a first team place and after getting onto the irish u-21 team.Since then he has never been given a chance by Cook but I have a feeling its not down to a lack of talent. Who knows if he a got a run in the team again and if he got a bit of confidence he could do well but he seems to be well down the pecking order ath the moment.

clubman
11/05/2008, 1:53 PM
Hi Doc.
Didn't mean to come across as a them and us issue - locals and imports. Never in my wildest dreams would I imply such a thought. What I mean here is that we supporters seem to give the import more time to settle into the side etc. The local gets a couple of games if he's lucky and if he hasn't produced the goods in this time he's 'not up to it'. Whereas the lad than comes in from wherever will be allowed time to settle and gain confidence etc.
It's just a comment and of course only my opinion. I do agree with you that all players deserve encouragement.
Players move on that's a fact of life, even the great David Pugh spent one season with Shams. At the end of the day football is a way of these guys to earn a living and if the opportunity to do better comes their way then naturally they will take it. I don't have a problem with that.

sligoman
11/05/2008, 6:00 PM
Cook (http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/2372582.smil)

Matthews (http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/2372581.smil)

Mooney (http://dynamic.rte.ie/av/2372583.smil)

DocRovers
12/05/2008, 8:18 AM
Clubman,
Point taken - I do agree that some of the local lads have to settle in the side quickly or lose their spot. It is a pity that the league is littered with lads from Sligo, Mayo & surrounding areas, yet most of them are not at Rovers. Martin, Cawley, Rossiter, McT, couple of lads at Galway - but do most of them feel they outgrow Rovers at a stage in their career??? Either way we need more support & encouragement for the team - I do feel that we are not that far away from being really close to the summit.

Only1Rovers
12/05/2008, 1:01 PM
but do most of them feel they outgrow Rovers at a stage in their career??? Either way we need more support & encouragement for the team - I do feel that we are not that far away from being really close to the summit.

Alot of it comes down to money. I doubt Rovers could pay the wages of Rossitor or Martyn. I know Rovers were in talks with Ciaran last season, he showed some interest but they fell through.

I would imagine Cawley is payed well by Bray aslo (is he not captain?).

DonalE
12/05/2008, 3:36 PM
If I remember correctly Cook or Carr said they had tried to get Alan to sign but he was unwilling to leave his job in Dublin. Alan would slot perfectly into our midfield with Conor

Da Real Rover
13/05/2008, 11:00 AM
I rememeber chatting to Alan at the end of last season and he said that Rovers never made an attempt to sign him.

sligoman
13/05/2008, 11:01 AM
They did pre-season 2008 afaik.

Da Real Rover
13/05/2008, 11:04 AM
He told me this at the last game of the season at Bray last year. Dont know if he has had talks since then?