PDA

View Full Version : Keely's done it already

Countyman
30/07/2003, 9:26 AM
he's taken our goalkeeper Wayne Russell.
Thanks Wayne for the 4 months you gave us :mad:

bring back gareth byrne!!!

Estar
30/07/2003, 10:46 AM
Oh Lord!, this very bad news. Best keeper in Div. If Murphy is in goal expect us not to keep a clean sheet for the rest of the season, he's too small and is always chiped. He was our second best player of the season so far.

That display against Kilkenny will always be remembered and that super stop against Dublin City. Best of luck Wayne. Derry are getting a good one.

What was the transfer fee? They turned down the first offer.

Countyman
30/07/2003, 10:59 AM
Dont know the exact amount. Could be about €20k.
Not bad for a 35 year old goalkeeper.
Money talks.

Estar
30/07/2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Countyman
Money talks.

It's a good business transaction, he was only a couple of months at the club and we got him on a free.

I smelt a rat when he had a so called injury scare before fridays match.

Alot of guys are tiping the return of Gareth Byrne, good keeper for us last year. As was mentioned on the Kildare site it's funny the way Derry have taken our manager and keeper and we might do the same to Glenmore:D .

Are you running a bus to Athlone Countyman, someone asked me? I'm going by car, hope you bring the flags, always nice to see at away games.

Countyman
30/07/2003, 11:30 AM
There will be no bus to the Athlone game but some of us are driving. I'm bringing some flags this time. If you want something done right you have to do it yourself :)

One of the lads wants to bring the new drum. Dunno how that would work with only 3 of us singing :D

We are planning to go over the far side (weather permitting) so we wont annoy the locals ;)

Hope that big blue commentry box on stilts is still there. Have to get a photo of that. How it still stands is beyond me :confused:

Estar
30/07/2003, 11:57 AM
Good to hear Countyman.

The commentry box, with all that tin around the place looks like a look out post in an RUC station.

I think I will mingle with the locals, some of the comments by the older Athlone supporters are priceless. Athlone never give us an easy game.

We need the three points after only drawing with Athlone at home.

pineapple stu
30/07/2003, 1:54 PM
Read today that there's no transfer fee - as he's already been transferred once this season (Waterford to Kildare), he can't be transferred again until next season, so the deal is a loan one.

That was in The Star now, so it must be true...:D

LFC in Exile
30/07/2003, 2:06 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
As he's already been transferred once this season (Waterford to Kildare), he can't be transferred again until next season

Not doubting you for a second but is that rule true? It doesn't make any sense at all. Where did that come out of?

What a wacky football world. :rolleyes:

Countyman
30/07/2003, 2:59 PM
mmmmm...dunno about this.

If that was the case why were Derry offering us cash for Russell.

We rejected their initial offer but they came back with a bigger one.:confused:

Unless its a loan move with a permanent deal being done at the end of the year. Is that allowed??

You are right ...the wacky world of el football.

brandy86
30/07/2003, 3:44 PM
Originally posted by Countyman
Money talks.

Is this true? That he is 35?

The Sheliban
30/07/2003, 4:40 PM
At 35, a goalie should be at his peak. Even if he only stays with you for three years, I reckon you've done pretty well out of it.

Its Kildare I feel for. Doubt it will happen, but if there were a God, I'd love to see Kildare and Derry swapping divisions at the end of the season.

Estar
30/07/2003, 5:31 PM
Originally posted by brandy86
Is this true? That he is 35?

Yes, Have a look at his record. Class stopper. Sure to become a favorite in Derry. Derry have no problems at No1 now.

pineapple stu
30/07/2003, 5:37 PM
Originally posted by LFC in Exile
Not doubting you for a second but is that rule true? It doesn't make any sense at all. Where did that come out of?

What a wacky football world. :rolleyes:

Just read it in the paper, like I said. Wouldn't surprise me though - could quite easily be stuck in with the new transfer regulations to stop players fleecing clubs - moving clubs every couple of weeks to claim sign-on fees.

That said, if they were offering yez money, that might change things.

pineapple stu
30/07/2003, 5:40 PM
Passage from The Star today -

"Meanwhile, Derry are set to sign Kildare County keeper Wayne Russell on loan for the rest of the season. The Candystripes cannot buy Russellas he has already moved club once this season from Waterford to Kildare, and under FIFA laws is unable to transfer again until next season. However, City boss Dermot keely is anxious to secure Russell on loan, which he can do under the transfer laws."