PDA

View Full Version : Timeless Albums

Block G Raptor
08/05/2008, 3:10 PM
I had to rebuild my PC after a blue screen of death recently and lost all of my vast music collection. As it turns out this is not necessarily a bad thing as I had some unadulterated muck in my Library. so any way I'm going to get as many really classic album's as I can to repopulate my iTunes. I've already added Led Zepplin I II III IV V and the greatest hits, The Doors Self titled album, Beech Boys Pet Sounds, Dylan's Blonde on Blonde and a few others that I cant remember now so can anyone recommend some others. I know there is a similar thread going at the moment but this is different as I mostly looking for older stuff say from the 70's to the 90's and Please no dance music suggestions

superfrank
08/05/2008, 3:16 PM
Any David Bowie album from 1970-1980, well maybe not "Pin Ups".

Prince - Purple Rain
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On (maybe not musically, but the lyrics are just as powerful now)

gustavo
08/05/2008, 3:16 PM
3 albums from the 80's for ya

The Stone Roses- The Stone Roses
Pixies - Doolittle
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
can't go wrong with those 3

Block G Raptor
08/05/2008, 3:19 PM
Any David Bowie album from 1970-1980, well maybe not "Pin Ups".

Ive a rake of Bowie on CD (I should have mentioned this) also have a load of Pink Floyd and Lennon everything else is pretty recent

3 albums from the 80's for ya

The Stone Roses- The Stone Roses
Pixies - Doolittle

they were 2 of the ones I couldn't remember now that I think of it. the roses one is class but I'm not mad on Doolittle although Ive only perused it briefly so maybe its a grower

As for the smiths now why didn't Ii think of that. deffo adding that to my list

Oh I should add that I've got a pretty eclectic taste in music (except electronic Dance) after watching Almost Famous and High Fidelity on the same night last week
I've realised that 70's Rock(a genre that thus far I've pretty much ignored apart from the aforementioned bands) was pretty cool, so stuff from that era/genre are what I'm really looking for

tetsujin1979
08/05/2008, 3:27 PM
Was listening to Sgt Pepper's and The White Album yesterday. Could have been made last week and they would still sound amazing.

Block G Raptor
08/05/2008, 3:30 PM
Agreed Sgt Pepper is an amazing album .I've never owned the White Album as I overdosed on on the Beatles around the time of the Anthology's release and bought so many beatles albums that I had pretty much all the songs from White. Consider it added. (I've got Pepper on CD)

gustavo
08/05/2008, 4:09 PM
Revolver tops them both lads!

SligoBrewer
08/05/2008, 5:21 PM
Mightn't be your thing but

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I am, that's what I'm not.
Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Sex Pistols - Never mind the ******** here's the ..

They get my nod.

jebus
08/05/2008, 7:57 PM
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On (maybe not musically, but the lyrics are just as powerful now)

What do you mean 'maybe not musically'? What's Going On is the greatest album of all time, FACT (as we say around these parts:)) Sorry I get very uppity at the slightest criticism of Marvin.

Anyway I'd throw on Kraftwerk's Man Machine, Curtis Mayfield's Superfly, a Kate Bush best of, and the greatest hits of Creedence Clearwater Revival as my picks

Wangball
08/05/2008, 8:01 PM
I am the Cosmos by Chris Bell
Decade by Neil Young
Grievous Angel by Gram Parsons

Some Alt-Country recommendations there for your delectation

bellavistaman
08/05/2008, 8:03 PM
12 Gold Bars

beautifulrock
08/05/2008, 8:06 PM
Springsteen - Nebraska
Marley - Exodus
Nirvana - Unplugged
Stones - Hot Rocks
Oasis - Def Maybe

superfrank
08/05/2008, 8:40 PM
What do you mean 'maybe not musically'? What's Going On is the greatest album of all time, FACT (as we say around these parts:)) Sorry I get very uppity at the slightest criticism of Marvin.
I'm a huge Marvin fan but musically with that album, you know where it's at. That's the same reason I didn't nominate Superfly, another classic but again the music is from a different time.

Also I can't listen to Junkie Chase without thinking of this incredibly hilarious scene from the film (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFq_IR22mNk). The laughter kicks in about 1:31, language not for the faint-hearted.

Marked Man
08/05/2008, 9:09 PM
You might want to make a back up hard drive your priority ahead of loading up on timeless albums.

kingdom hoop
08/05/2008, 9:25 PM
the greatest hits of Creedence Clearwater Revival

Perhaps the best recommendation so far. Raptor, you MUST heed Jebus's advice! On the subject of Best Ofs, hook yourself up with some Absolute Animals too - whale of a time gauranteed (puns highlighted for ease of detection). A few more IMO must-have rock-ish 60s/70s albums:

Rory Gallagher - Calling Card
Cream - Disraeli Gears
The Jam - All Mod Cons
The Who - Who's Next
Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground & Nico
and for something a little softer,
Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman
T. Rex - Electric Warrior

Billsthoughts
09/05/2008, 12:02 AM
and the greatest hits of Creedence Clearwater Revival as my picks

Mandatory for any collection. as is The Bands The Last Waltz

Id go for the Jams Greatest Hits over any of their albums.
Blood On The tracks - Dylan altho I prefer Highway 61
Astral Weeks/moondance - Van
I think Wellers Wild Wood still stands up.
Love - Forever Changes (depending on your tolerance for psycedelia)
if you can pick up xtc singles has some great stuff on it.
any of the dexys albums....
blondie greatest hits
housemartins - london 0 hull 4
REM - the best of (the earlier one is class altho the later one is good as well.)

Cant believe the comment about Marvin and Curtis. These sound so fresh today because they are copied by EVERYONE! check out curtis' roots album. sounds like it was made yesterday.

superfrank
09/05/2008, 12:05 AM
Cant believe the comment about Marvin and Curtis. These sound so fresh today because they are copied by EVERYONE!
They're both very good albums but I know when I heard both of them first I thought "The 70s must have been class". That's it. You can tell they're from a different time. That's not fresh for me.

noby
09/05/2008, 7:44 AM
Mmm. Is it just me or do 'Timeless albums' and 'Best of's not really sit well together? Don't get me wrong, you should have some best ofs in your collection, but surely Timeless albums is a different category.

Anyway:

Small Faces - Ogden's Nut Gone Flake (you probably have it)
Captain Beefheart - Safe as Milk
VU - VU & Nico (as already mentioned)
Dexys Midnight Runners - Any one, but Searching for the Young Soul Rebel for starters
Specials - Specials
Minutemen - Double Nickel on the Dime
Tindersticks - Tindersticks
Smiths - Again take your pick, but probably The Queen is Dead.
REM - Green
Belle & Sebastian - If You're Feeling Sinister / The Boy With The Arab Strap
Breeders - Last Splash
Stone Roses - Stone Roses, as mentioned.
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds, also mentioned.
MC5 - Kick Out The Jams
Primal Scream - Screamadelica
Orb - Adventures beyond...
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Another 'pick any from...', but The Good Son is a personal favourite.
Simon & Garfunkel - Again, a few good ones. Sounds of Silence, perhaps.
Red House Painters - Rollercoaster.

Perhaps if we're way out with a couple of genres you could nudge us in the right direction, or is your taste broad?

Macy
09/05/2008, 8:41 AM
More, not previously mentioned (and off the top of my head)..

Substance - Joy Division (compilation)
Electric Ladyland - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Let It Bleed - The Rolling Stones
Sticky Fingers - The Rolling Stones
Exile on Main Street - The Rolling Stones
The Autumn Stone - The Small Faces (compilation)
Pills N Thrills and Bellyaches - Happy Mondays
Ill Communication - Beastie Boys
The Charlatans - The Charlatans
London Calling - The Clash
Appetite for Destruction - Guns N Roses
The Undertones - The Undertones

jebus
09/05/2008, 8:50 AM
Mmm. Is it just me or do 'Timeless albums' and 'Best of's not really sit well together? Don't get me wrong, you should have some best ofs in your collection, but surely Timeless albums is a different category.

I'd always counter that by pointing to the Cure as an example of a band who have not had one great album, but who's Greatest Hits should be essential for anyone who loves well crafted pop songs. A lot of bands are like that in my opinion, great songs but not albums

as is The Bands The Last Waltz

Agreed

noby
09/05/2008, 8:55 AM
I'd always counter that by pointing to the Cure as an example of a band who have not had one great album, but who's Greatest Hits should be essential for anyone who loves well crafted pop songs. A lot of bands are like that in my opinion, great songs but not albums

Which I agreed with. But if we're talking Timeless albums, a collection of singles from a ten year period is 'cheating', in my book.

jebus
09/05/2008, 9:00 AM
Which I agreed with. But if we're talking Timeless albums, a collection of singles from a ten year period is 'cheating', in my book.

See I think you're looking at this list as a collection of the bets albums of all time (which I agree Best ofs have no place among), but this is just a list of albums for Block to run out and buy now

Billsthoughts
09/05/2008, 9:03 AM

Yeah exactly. Altho the reverse is true for some artists. I dont think a best of Dylan works at all. Altho a Neil Young best of wouldnt necessarily be a bad choice, i'd still prefer some of his albums. Dexys as well. 3 Great albums ; One disjointed greatest hits.(altho still worth picking up for "Because of You" , " Lets get this straight from the start" and "Breaking down the Walls of Heartache"). Hot Rocks doesn’t have a dud track on it but barely hints at some of the joys to be found on the albums mentioned above.

noby
09/05/2008, 9:06 AM
I know we're splitting hairs here, but the guy asked for classic albums. Yes, greatest hits have their merits, I have enough of them, and the quickest way to build up a music collection would be with compilations, but for me I'm trying to focus on albums.

Macy
09/05/2008, 9:06 AM
I included a couple of compliations, but their not exactly best of's or greatest hits. I did have to hum and haw a bit though in including them in a Timeless Albums list, even if they do stand up alone with new stuff on them, so wouldn't complain too much about them being ruled out of order.

Block G Raptor
09/05/2008, 9:11 AM
Perhaps the best recommendation so far. Raptor, you MUST heed Jebus's advice! On the subject of Best Ofs, hook yourself up with some Absolute Animals too - whale of a time gauranteed (puns highlighted for ease of detection). A few more IMO must-have rock-ish 60s/70s albums:

Cream - Disraeli Gears
The Jam - All Mod Cons
The Who - Who's Next

Now thats what I'm talking about. these are all getting got at the weekend. jesus HMV are gonna love me :rolleyes:;)

My list so far
Prince - Purple Rain
Smiths - The Queen is dead
Beatles- White
Neil Young - Decade
Stones- Hot Rocks and/or 40 licks
Oasis- Discography
Housemartins - London 0-4 Hull
Jam- Greatest Hits
Specials-Specials
Bell & Sebastian
Primal Scream - Screamadelicia
Simon and Garfunkle - Greatest Hits
Joy Division - the best of
Happy Mondays- Pill's thrills n belly aches
Charlatans - charlatans
Undertones -Undertones
Cure - Greatest hits
Cream - Disraeli Gears
The Jam - All Mod Cons
The Who - Who's Next

thanks guy's theses suggestions are class

kingdom hoop
09/05/2008, 12:31 PM
Now thats what I'm talking about.

Yeah you see I went for the option of advising on what I thought you'd really like rather than getting bogged down in any strict guidelines. ;) :p

Lionel Ritchie
09/05/2008, 12:47 PM
Now thats what I'm talking about. these are all getting got at the weekend. jesus HMV are gonna love me :rolleyes:;)

Glad someone recommended this. For my money the very best debut LP by any band ever. There are very few albums out there that you could lift absolutely any track off of as a single. This is one of them.

The actual mechanics of the album from writing and arranging to engineering and mixing aren't rocket science at all but the whole thing just has a texture and a sense of place that makes it hang together beautifully.

It also shows what a fantastic vocalist young P.d. Heaton was.

Enjoy.

Marked Man
09/05/2008, 3:51 PM
Faith and 17 seconds are two great albums. Depressing, but great.

monzo
11/05/2008, 12:24 PM
Highly recommend each of these:
Neil Young - After The Goldrush
The Stooges - Fun House
Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Rory Gallagher - Live In Europe

NeilMcD
11/05/2008, 1:25 PM
U2 - Achtung Baby

Prince Sign of the Times

The Small Faces Greatest Hits, worthy it just for Tin Solider but so much more.

The Optimist
11/05/2008, 4:27 PM
Some of my timeless albums (in no particular order)

The Crossing - Big Country
Head On The Door - The Cure
Born In The USA - Bruce Springsteen
The Golden Horde - The Golden Horde
I Am The Greatest - A House
Darklands - Jesus And Mary Chain
Levelling The Land - The Levellers
Stuck Together With Gods Glue - Something Happens
Everything Must Go - Manic Street Preachers
Imigrants Emigrants And Me - Power Of Dreams
Children - The Mission
Ten - Pearl Jam
If I Should Fall..... - The Pogues
Never Mind The ******** - The Sex Pistols
The Joshua Tree - U2
Chemicrazy - That Petrol Emotion
This Is The Sea - The Waterboys

Billsthoughts
12/05/2008, 10:29 AM
The Small Faces Greatest Hits, worthy it just for Tin Solider but so much more.

Got this for 3 euro one time...."Every little bit hurts" is great on it. I d also recommend Aretha Franklins Greatest Hits Atlantic years.

Wolfie
13/05/2008, 1:00 PM

My list so far
Prince - Purple Rain
Smiths - The Queen is dead
Beatles- White
Neil Young - Decade
Stones- Hot Rocks and/or 40 licks
Oasis- Discography
Jam- Greatest Hits
Specials-Specials
Bell & Sebastian
Primal Scream - Screamadelicia
Simon and Garfunkle - Greatest Hits
Joy Division - the best of
Happy Mondays- Pill's thrills n belly aches
Charlatans - charlatans
Undertones -Undertones
Cure - Greatest hits
Cream - Disraeli Gears
The Jam - All Mod Cons
The Who - Who's Next

thanks guy's theses suggestions are class

Might I suggest further additions of:

Classic Albums "Proper"

The Strokes - Is this It?
Beck - Odelay
Blur - Modern Life is Rubbish
Manic Street Preachers - Holy Bible
Doves - The Last Broadcast
Radiohead - In Rainbows

Some Greatest Hits that might (or might not) be of interest:

Supergrass - Supergrass is 10
Manics - Forever Delayed
The Jam - Snap! (Best Of)
Blur - Best Of
Bruce Springsteen - The Essential Bruce Springsteen
James - Best Of
Jimi Hendrix - Experience Hendrix (The best of)
The Pixies - Death to the Pixies
House of Love - Best of

Schumi
13/05/2008, 1:06 PM
Doves - The Last Broadcast

I'd go with Lost Souls tbh.

Pauro 76
13/05/2008, 1:08 PM
'Recent' Timeless Albums

Manics - Everything Must Go
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Portishead - Dummy
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Gorillaz - Demon Days
REM - Automatic for the People
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
Muse - Absolution/Black Holes and Revelations
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
Kings of Leon - Because of the Times (that will be timeless in ten years time)
Doves - Lost Souls

Macy
13/05/2008, 2:27 PM
'Recent' Timeless Albums
Showing your age Pauro man, some of those are the wrong side of 15 years old at this stage :eek:

I have another for the list, another compilation but not a "best of"
The Beta Band - 3 E.P's

Reality Bites
13/05/2008, 4:24 PM
The Clash - Londons Calling
The Go-Betweens, undecided on their best album - so best off
Janes Addiction - Nothing Shocking
Best of Talking Heads
The Pogues - Hells Ditch
The Ramones -Phil Spector produced album
Arcade fire - first album

bennocelt
13/05/2008, 6:58 PM
This is bloody great.:) i also have to update my music on the computer

Some great suggestions.....esp like Creedence and the Housemartins

anything by Tragicially Hip and Big Wreck are worth a look

TonyD
13/05/2008, 9:12 PM
Glad someone recommended this. For my money the very best debut LP by any band ever. There are very few albums out there that you could lift absolutely any track off of as a single. This is one of them.

It's good, but I wouldn't say best debut ever. I'd nominate Murmer - REM, High Land Hard Rain - Aztec Camera, and Cake by the Trashcan Sinatras. Other timeless albums I've got in my colection are, Grand Prix - Teenage Fanclub, Fables of the Reconstruction -REM(again) King of America - Elvis Costello.

Pauro 76
13/05/2008, 9:27 PM
Showing your age Pauro man, some of those are the wrong side of 15 years old at this stage :eek:

I have another for the list, another compilation but not a "best of"
The Beta Band - 3 E.P's

Shocking isn't it. A few of the albums I've grown up with, and they still sound great, sure sign of a timeless album.

A few more...

The Verve - Urban Hymns
Radiohead - Kid A
Supergrass - In It For The Money
Metallica - Metallica
Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible/Funeral
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
System of a Down - Toxicity
Blur - Modern Life is Rubbish
Rage against the Machine - RATM
White Stripes - Elephant

A few best ofs..

The Best of New Order
Forever Faithless - Faithless
Their Law - Prodigy
Collected - Massive Attack
The Greatest - Ian Brown

Wolfie
14/05/2008, 7:25 AM
Just thought of another "Best of":

Super Furry Animals - Songbook Vol 1

Beavis
14/05/2008, 10:01 AM
Compilations and Best of's shouldnt be included as timeless albums. I dont like the concept of greatest hits or compilation albums to begin with. A band's quality should be considered in terms of 40min+ compositions, united by some unifying themes, sounds or at least a mind-set that existed when songs on an album are written/produced/selected/positioned, rather than individual songs with no relation to that preceding or following.
I also think an album must be over 7/8yo to be considered 'timeless'.How can you know if its timeless unless a significant period of time has elapsed?

Anyway what I can think of now:

OK Computer - Radiohead
Kid A/Amnesiac - Radiohead
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Animals - Pink Floyd
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Ten - Pearl Jam
Definitely Maybe - Oasis
Agaetis Byrjun - Sigur Ros
Music For the Gilted Generation - The Prodigy

noby
14/05/2008, 10:13 AM
Compilations and Best of's shouldnt be included as timeless albums. I dont like the concept of greatest hits or compilation albums to begin with. A band's quality should be considered in terms of 40min+ compositions

While I agree with your sentiment in a 'Timeless album' discussion, and I am an album fan, there are a lot of valid cases for greatest hits/compilations.

I wouldn't be without all of my Northern Soul compilations, but I doubt a lot of the artists even released an album. Ditto early Motown, and dance genres.
In fact, the album really only became popular in the seventies. Before that, and lately too the focus was on good singles, which sometimes got cobbled together to make an album.

Other bands are just more suited to singles. Madness are a favourite of mine, but once you go beyond the singles there's often a big drop-off in quality.

Wolfie
14/05/2008, 12:25 PM
I think theres 2 things going on at once on this thread

1) Some are concerning themselves with specific albums worthy of the mantle "Timeless"
2) Others have concerned themselves with what are the best purchases to make (often including "Best Ofs") that will facilitate Block G amassing a great record collection.

Schumi
14/05/2008, 12:41 PM
Mercury Rev: Deserter's Songs and Air: Moon Safari haven't been mentioned yet that I've seen. Both classics.

noby
14/05/2008, 12:50 PM
Mercury Rev: Deserter's Songs and Air: Moon Safari haven't been mentioned yet that I've seen. Both classics.

Ooh, yes. And Yerself is Steam.

Wolfie, you're quite right, but where's the harm.

Have we mentioned Big Star yet? You can get #1 Record and Radio City on one cd now. Two timeless albums, one compilation. The best of both worlds.

ShamrockIreland
01/06/2008, 2:38 AM
Other bands are just more suited to singles. Madness are a favourite of mine, but once you go beyond the singles there's often a big drop-off in quality.

Madness have 3 amazing studio Lps in One Step Beyond, Absoloutely and Madness 7. A lot of their best stuff wasn't singles but Lp tracks and B-sides

Heres another few great Lps you may not have heard from
1. Beat That- The Purple Hearts(See where Roses etc got their influences from)
2. Setting Sons- The Jam(Snap is a great compo but this LP is gold)
3. Up the Bracket- The Libertines
4. Fresh Fruit For Rotten Vegetables- The Dead Kennedys
5. The Clash on Broadway- The Clash(A triple treat from the Clash everything you wanted and more. Demo versions,unreleased tracks)
5. Red Red Roses for me/Rum Sodamy and the Lash- The Pogues
6. Magnets- The Vapours
7. Johnny The Fox,Vagabonds,Thin Lizzy(1st LP self titled a gem),Nightlife- Thin Lizzy
8. Rory Gallagher-Rory Gallagher
9. Whos Next(Most Who LPs)- The Who
10. Desmond Dekker- Best Of
11. I just can't stop it,Wha Happen- The Beat
12. More Specials

Too many more to mention