PDA

View Full Version : Keith Fahey

Duggie
08/05/2008, 10:08 AM
will pats be able to keep him ? hes pure class, surely he will be attracting attention from clubs in england.

razor
08/05/2008, 10:15 AM
will pats be able to keep him ? hes pure class, surely he will be attracting attention from clubs in england.Drogheda weren't but you never know.
Undoubted talent but temperament and attitude is questionable.

Danny
08/05/2008, 10:22 AM
from seeing him week in and week out his temperment and attitude have definitely improved since his first spell at pats and his time at drogs.
he has definitely matured an awful lot as was seen when he took the captains armband the other nite v cork.
dont know if anyone in england will look at him now as he's had a couple of chances over there, and i'd hate to see him leaving pats but he's defo too good for us and the league imo

rambler14
08/05/2008, 10:39 AM
Class player. The best in the Eircom League by an absolute mile. He is probably the closest the league has to Paul Scholes.

paulie_walnuts
08/05/2008, 10:54 AM
Why did it not work for him with Drogs? Was it down to his attitude or was it down to Drogs style of play?

Drogman.
08/05/2008, 11:05 AM
Why did it not work for him with Drogs? Was it down to his attitude or was it down to Drogs style of play?

Down to him turning up full of drink to a couple of training sessions, and generally acting the ******.

Again quality player that could have made us even better but his attitude let him down on that occasion.

Duggie
08/05/2008, 11:06 AM
was he in england already ?

Danny
08/05/2008, 11:16 AM
was he in england already ?

was with arsenal and villa in england
had a falling out with wenger at aresenal when he had a go at him for picking viera ahead of him
went to villa for 250k but didnt work out.

Sheridan
08/05/2008, 11:20 AM
He was with Arsenal and Aston Villa as a youngster.

No doubting that his current status as flavour of the month is clouding popular judgement, but he is an outstanding player. Bear in mind, however, that for a period of a year or so in the recent past a lot of people had forgotten he existed and wouldn't have named him in the top twenty players in the league.

I love watching him play, but he's a hard player to fit into any modern system. McDonnell has hit on the right position for him more or less by accident on a couple of occasions. As for going to England, I doubt it. Someone may well take a punt on him, but I doubt he'd be a major success in British football. He's a classical, 80s-style playmaker and they don't have much call for them across the water. I doubt his physical condition would be up to scratch either (not that he's unfit, he's just not especially quick or robust.) He would of course be in the Irish squad if they were picked on merit.

superfrank
08/05/2008, 11:37 AM
There's no doubting his ability and this season he's really shown how good he can be but there are still some questions of his attitude. The time at Drogs seemed pretty tough. IIRC, he only lasted six months there.

What'll McDonnell do when Ndo gets fit again?

Réiteoir
08/05/2008, 11:38 AM
three words to describe him-overrated overrated overrated

sure we heard you the first time...

Sheridan
08/05/2008, 11:42 AM
There's no way on God's earth he'd drop Fahey for Ndo. If Ndo ever returns, he's more likely to be accommodated on the right (they've got a striker there most weeks.)

all drogged up
08/05/2008, 11:46 AM
Drogs chucked him for misbehavin and whatnot - he was outstanding in our first setanta cup victory

looks like us sacking him was the kick up the a$$ he needed. Fair play he's been great this season and the few drogs pats games last year he played well too. wasn't payin much attnetion to him other than that.

He's flavour of the month but justifiably so and I don't think it's temporary thing I think he's really growing and improving.

Very creative

superfrank
08/05/2008, 11:47 AM
being honest-he wouldnt lace the boots of george o'callaghan and paddy mccourt in terms of sheer skill and talent
Good choice of a username. Have you seen him play much?

Duggie
08/05/2008, 11:50 AM
being honest-he wouldnt lace the boots of george o'callaghan and paddy mccourt in terms of sheer skill and talent

both are good players but i wouldnt go that far mate :confused:

saint dog
08/05/2008, 12:33 PM
Its been said all over the country that fahey is the best player in the league

he's far too good for it i think

mccourts a great player too but just not consistent enough

george comes nowhere near the the both of them

don ramo
08/05/2008, 1:02 PM
at this moment in time fahey is unquestionably the best player in the league, we'll just have to wait and see if he will maintain it for the season, with his form at the minute he would walk onto any team in the country, he is a class act, i tip derry to win the league, but if fahey stay on form for the season pats will walk it,

pól-dcfc
08/05/2008, 1:13 PM

I'd rate him above both of them. Might get a slating from other Derry fans, but if I had a straight out choice for one of those three in the Derry side it'd be Fahey. Paddy is injury prone and his work rate sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. George is a ****, and vastly overrated if you ask me.

In terms of sheer skill, Paddy would probably have the edge. His ability on the ball is unreal, but he often runs down blind alleys where the best we can hope for is a free. Fahey is the most complete midfielder out of the three of them.

Ndo at his best is unreal, but there is no way Fahey could be dropped by McDonnell on his current form.

Spoons
08/05/2008, 2:39 PM
Fahey is superb...pity he can't be kep off the jar!!

saint morrissey
08/05/2008, 3:40 PM
there used to be a question mark over faheys temperment and attitude but not any more, i think hes very much copped on and realised that he was in danger of ruining his career when he found himself on the bench for a very mediocre pats team towards the end of the season the year he came back from drogs, hes been like a new man ever since. think hes even calmed down on the boozing. he gets "special" treatment off nearly every team weve played this season and hasnt reacted once. he certainly wont be pushed aside for ndo, personally i think ndos days at the saints are numbered, cant see his contract being renewed at the end of the season.

soccerc
08/05/2008, 3:47 PM
Fahey is superb...pity he can't be kep off the jar!!

I suggest you are way off the mark with that post

pateen
08/05/2008, 3:58 PM
was with arsenal and villa in england
had a falling out with wenger at aresenal when he had a go at him for picking viera ahead of him
went to villa for 250k but didnt work out.

Great story if true :D

mrtndvn
08/05/2008, 5:05 PM
I'd rate him above both of them. Might get a slating from other Derry fans, but if I had a straight out choice for one of those three in the Derry side it'd be Fahey. Paddy is injury prone and his work rate sometimes leaves a lot to be desired. George is a ****, and vastly overrated if you ask me.

In terms of sheer skill, Paddy would probably have the edge. His ability on the ball is unreal, but he often runs down blind alleys where the best we can hope for is a free. Fahey is the most complete midfielder out of the three of them.

Ndo at his best is unreal, but there is no way Fahey could be dropped by McDonnell on his current form.

Paddy is twice the player of Fahey.

Cant believe a Derry fan could think otherwise.

Questioning Paddy's workrate leaves me to believe you dont have a clue what your talking about

cheifo
08/05/2008, 5:14 PM
Quality player.What age is Fahey now?

SligoBrewer
08/05/2008, 5:17 PM
He's 25.

pól-dcfc
08/05/2008, 6:15 PM
Paddy is twice the player of Fahey.

Cant believe a Derry fan could think otherwise.

Questioning Paddy's workrate leaves me to believe you dont have a clue what your talking about

How do you come to that conclusion? I've seen Paddy drop out of games completely, and that coupled with seeing him completely blocked in the Metro everytime I'm home gives me the impression that his workrate isn't what it could be. I know he's hacked out of some games completely as well of course.

As I said, I knew I was gonna get slated for writing that. On the basis of this season, I'd have Fahey. It's just an opinion.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they don't know what they are on about.

thischarmingman
08/05/2008, 7:57 PM
No doubting that his current status as flavour of the month is clouding popular judgement, but he is an outstanding player.

I agree. He's an outstanding player but has to continue this form over a season or two.

i tip derry to win the league, but if fahey stay on form for the season pats will walk it,

Staying on the consistanty theme, we won't. We're good, but we're not quite there yet. If we're still in the hunt by July who knows, but to be honest, it's Pats' to lose this season. /off topic.

razor
08/05/2008, 8:24 PM
he got huge praise for the free kick against cork but i feel devine will be dissapointed he didnt save it,It was a good free but had it not deflected off the top of the wall then I reckon Mick would have saved it easily enough.

superfrank
08/05/2008, 8:32 PM
yes seen him play a bit,hes just the player who is playing well at the moment
I've seen him play extremely in two of the three Pats games I've seen this year. Against ourselves and Cork. In both games, he bossed the midfield. His passing ability and vision is the best I've ever seen in this league. Can't remember if he was any good in the Rovers game. That was a pretty crap game overall.

he got huge praise for the free kick against cork but i feel devine will be dissapointed he didnt save it,and thats just one example of how hes overrated
I think any praise for his free, which I can honestly say I haven't heard or read, was for its importance more than its delivery. He could have smacked it way over or into the bottom of the wall but he got it close enough to going over the wall and the deflection took it in.

TonyD
08/05/2008, 8:35 PM
Its been said all over the country that fahey is the best player in the league

he's far too good for it i think

That's the kind of thing I hate to see people saying. Why is he too good for it ? Is that not the standard of player we aspire to seeing in the league ? It's certainly the standard I want to see at Pats. I'm sure Fahey could play at a higher level, and that's probably what people mean, but I hope he doesn't go. Hopefully his age (25 as was said already) will put English clubs off. They tend to want teenagers/earlier twenties, though that has changed a bit in the last couple of years, with the likes of Bennet(wasn't he about 25 ?) and O'Callahgan going over.

And on the subject of Fahey v McCourt/O'Callaghan, complete nonsense to say he isn't fit to lace their boots. Three very gifted players but I wouldn't swap Fahey for either of the others.

RedRebel32
08/05/2008, 8:39 PM
sure fahey has always been an absolute quality EL player. always has had fantastic abilty, if not a little inconsistent. he is a very intelligent player.

but i think paddy mccourt is up there along side him on his day with ease,plus when chrissy turner was with us and playing his best i would not have swapped him for anyone in the league.unfortunately he seems to have fitness problems and doesnt look at all sharp right now.

there is an adbundance of talent in the league right now and any of the top 6 or 7 clubs can beat each other.i think murphy in goals for shams is also some player

soccerc
08/05/2008, 9:28 PM
yes seen him play a bit,hes just the player who is playing well at the moment,he got huge praise for the free kick against cork but i feel devine will be dissapointed he didnt save it,and thats just one example of how hes overrated

Set up Gary O'Neill for first against Cork.

Netted the second having started with the ball from half way and playing a one two.

Scored the third from the free.

That's over rating?

Thus far this season he has been the form player in the league no doubt.

He has always had the football intelligence and as other shave pointed out has both as a player and as an individual since his return to St Pats.

I could go on and on but what's the point with someone who can't see the woods for the trees

socket
09/05/2008, 9:15 AM
i have seen fahey play from close quaters an wot makes him a great player is his ability to drop deep and pick up the ball. he is the hardest player to mark imo.if you do man mark him it leaves you exposed in other areas of the park.....a real class player. the league suits him now as there is less Rodey Collins type players kicking lumps out of the opposition.

Spoons
09/05/2008, 11:07 AM
"are you serious" , a question for you......you that has played eircom League football, and you obviously have an advantage over the rest of us , who is the best player in the League as far as your concerned?.....as a matter of interest , who did you play for?

Neutral Jo
09/05/2008, 11:12 AM
1. Why have you retired?
2. Who are you?
3. Do you play junior football?
4. Why do you use the word atrocious so often and you cannot even spell it.?
5. Stop pretending to be someone you are not. Its embarrassing which you also cannot spell by the way.

sadloserkid
09/05/2008, 11:37 AM
being honest-he wouldnt lace the boots of george o'callaghan of sheer skill and talent

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahaha *takes deep breath and decides against carrying on*. Sure.

Sheridan
09/05/2008, 11:48 AM
*takes deep breath and decides against carrying on*.
Much like Georgie when the cops stopped him!

soccerc
09/05/2008, 1:28 PM
my friend i have played at eircom league level,judging by your crest,you have not,so its fair to say im entitled to my opinion...

Firstly, I am not your friend.

So you have intimate knowledge of the League yet fail to recognise the crest of a past member.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but base it on fact and maybe a little knowledge.

Just because you've played at this level doesn't mean you were of that level. I've come across many many players in this league over the years who were unable to kick snow off a rope neve rmind lace Fahey's boots.

were talkin about cesc fabregas bein the best player in the world at the start of the season cos hes was playin outstandin stuff,like fahey is now,but people came back to their senses in terms of judgement when this form dissapeared-come back in four months and i guarantee he wont have half the admirers he has now

What the fcuk has Cesc Fabregas got to do with this?

IMHO, Absolutely nada, nowt, nothing, zilch.

thischarmingman
09/05/2008, 2:14 PM
can't the see the woods for the trees?my friend i have played at eircom league

Roddy, is that you?

Réiteoir
09/05/2008, 3:24 PM
I especially like the bit where he plays the "You haven't played professionally so you can't comment" card.

I get a warm feeling inside from reading that

kdjaC
09/05/2008, 3:27 PM
Roddy, is that you?

Doubt it, logical thinking he alleged played vs Derry in league cup but not in league, shouldnt be too hard to narrow down what 1st division club Dave Rogers ehh Are you serious played for. :p

kdjac

thischarmingman
09/05/2008, 3:30 PM
Doubt it, logical thinking he alleged played vs Derry in league cup but not in league, shouldnt be too hard to narrow down what 1st division club Dave Rogers ehh Are you serious played for. :p

kdjac

Sorry, since when has logic ever come into anything Roddy's said?

:D

RedRebel32
09/05/2008, 4:59 PM
fahey is a far better player than o'callaghan imo although george is superb.his attitude lets him down badly,but i love his flair,great player to watch.

i've seen fahey over the last 4 years,and was always really impressed when he came to the showgrounds.his free taking is nothing new and his passing is superb.he has always been fantastic,but when your finding the net a bit more you usually start getting headlines

Neutral Jo
09/05/2008, 7:15 PM
If you are touching 40 when did you play vrs paddy McCourt? The only time he played in Limerick was league Cup but you were too old ?? I assume you played with Limerick seen as you mentioned Aidan Ryan....
My name is Neutral Jo retired Referee.

kdjaC
09/05/2008, 10:41 PM
If you are touching 40 when did you play vrs paddy McCourt? The only time he played in Limerick was league Cup but you were too old ?? I assume you played with Limerick seen as you mentioned Aidan Ryan....
My name is Neutral Jo retired Referee.

Hes ex Sligo played vs Mc Court in a League cup vs Shamrocks im unreliably informed :D ;)

kdjac

pól-dcfc
10/05/2008, 11:38 AM
I think this topic should still be in the main forum, as it has expanded to include players of other LoI teams.