Stephen Maher - Yeovil Town
James Berrett - Huddersfield.

:confused::confused:

GavinZac
07/05/2008, 6:18 PM
It says a lot about Don Givens though.

superfrank
07/05/2008, 6:38 PM
Let them have the U-21's, we have the U-23's!

pineapple stu
07/05/2008, 6:45 PM
The eL U-23s...

First time in ages it's happened. There'll be more back in.

Rovers Maniac
07/05/2008, 6:51 PM
Who are the players that could be in with a shout, some might say i am biased and maybe i am but Coleman for us. It looks a fairly strongish squad to be honest although Maher from Yovil has only played once for them it says he also played for Shams last year.

forza
07/05/2008, 7:01 PM
when we cant even get one player into the under 21 squad,

Its an end of season tournament considering any EL U21 contenders are in the 23's squad and with club commitments its good in my opinion the lack of EL players in the squad that is as they would face burn out especially if any of those players who would usually feature have European commitments on top of league,cup,league cup,setanta cup and U 23 games.

BohDiddley
07/05/2008, 7:47 PM
Yeovil, Huddersfield and Scunthorpe. In real money, that's three Third Division clubs, with Yeovil not far off the drop to the Fourth.
Shocking lack of imagination on FAI's part.

A face
07/05/2008, 8:06 PM
Yeovil, Huddersfield and Scunthorpe. In real money, that's three Third Division clubs, with Yeovil not far off the drop to the Fourth.
Shocking lack of imagination on FAI's part.

Its not the FAI at fault, its Givens. If they dont get anywhere (again) this year it'll be Givens who is at fault, not that it matters a jot because he seems to have a job for life there. Its definitely not performance related anyway.

Gypsy1890
07/05/2008, 8:53 PM
http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3143

“We have a very young squad going out”, said Givens. “The Scottish season is still underway and there are play-off matches to be played in England so we decided not to call-up any player who may be involved in those matches.

“We also decided not to involve any eircom League of Ireland players, who are currently mid-season.

“The eircom League of Ireland managers have been very co-operative with me in the past and so I don’t want to call-up players who have important league matches to play.”

He added:“The other teams involved in the tournament are all Under-23, so we will have the youngest squad there. However, I think that it is a great opportunity to have a look at players who will be eligible for the next Under-21 qualifying campaign.” ...

skitz3
07/05/2008, 9:32 PM
It says a lot about Don Givens though.

Exactly, he's a horrible excuse for a man.

L37Ultra
07/05/2008, 10:01 PM
I knew what the responses would be before I even read this.

Typical of this board, there's no EL players in the squad so it's clearly not because the EL isn't good enough it's a problem with the staff. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't include any EL players over the current selection period, and that's not even getting to those who are just under 21.

I have to agree. Some people are listening to their heart ahead of their heads in this thread. I couldn't name one League of Ireland player that is U-21 that is better than the current squad. I'm pretty sure there isn't one.

SligoBrewer
07/05/2008, 10:03 PM
Seamus Coleman.

Rocky77
07/05/2008, 11:06 PM
Seamus Coleman.

He's got you all by the balls there

pete
07/05/2008, 11:30 PM
The only eL players I can remember from recent U21 squads are Coleman alongside Bohs Powell & Kelly. Not one to defend Givens but taking those players would mean match postponements which affect Sligo, Bohs and teams they would have played.

rod1
08/05/2008, 12:17 AM
i think people are missing an important point here, If el players are included in the squad for this trip, how many match postponements will this cause and i think it was deliberate decision not to include el players so that matches do not have to be cancelled. I think I am right in saying that if 1 or more player is called up for international duty, the club have the right to have their game postponed

Greenforever
08/05/2008, 12:29 AM

Pity you didnt read Givens comments as to why EL players wern't considered.

Also as Trap has taken 4 from the squad to the training camp in Portugal, this further wakens his base from which to pick.

This squad is about giving players experience and nothing else, just like they play 7 a side instead of a 11 a side in places like Holland for kids up to round U14s so as to develop skills and not to win at a level that really doesnt count.

I wonder what our Don has done to upset so many posters when he is actually just working in conjunction with the the senior manager of the day and EL managers etc.

drummerboy
08/05/2008, 7:50 AM
Ronan Finn?

A face
08/05/2008, 8:20 AM
I wonder what our Don has done to upset so many posters when he is actually just working in conjunction with the the senior manager of the day and EL managers etc.

In all his time involved in Irish football at this level do you think he has improved the game, yes or no?

drinkfeckarse
08/05/2008, 9:20 AM

Surprised you have to ask???? Bad man management, shocking results, poor media skills, disregard of the National League to name but a few.

In any other profession, he'd have been out of a job years ago. The U/21's do not progress with him at the helm.

Macy
08/05/2008, 9:29 AM
because he seems to have a job for life there.
Which is the FAI's fault.

BohDiddley
08/05/2008, 9:58 AM
Pity you didnt read Givens comments as to why EL players wern't considered..
No, I didn't. What were they?

noby
08/05/2008, 10:01 AM
No, I didn't. What were they?

Read post#9 on the thread.

irishfan
08/05/2008, 10:36 AM
Havent seen to much of most that squad but Stephen Maher is a shocking player he didnt get near the Rovers first team and when he did play one game he was that terrible and was never seen again also Karl Moore off City anit up to much either.

BohDiddley
08/05/2008, 10:38 AM
Read post#9 on the thread.
Sorry. I take it back. Full information is a good thing.
Fair dues to Don Givens for saying that. We really don't have a complaint!

Boh_So_Good
08/05/2008, 12:11 PM
The FAI and Irish soccer as a whole remains a British culturally entrenched entity, but in this case I think Givens selection is understandable and he gave valid reasons why.

Redie
08/05/2008, 1:59 PM
I admit I know nothing about most of those players in that squad but I suspect one of the reasons they have been selected is that they have been involved in underage squads over the past number of years and the fact that Seamus Coleman has never been in an underage squad when he was younger is one of the reason he does not come into the thoughts of the likes of Givens when picking players. In some ways this is understandable but also very unfortunate for a player like Coleman - as well as for the Irish team - because I suspect that he is way ahead of a lot of those players selected. As Conor O'Grady said in a recent interview if Seamus was from Dublin he would have been playing in representative squads long ago.

finnpark
08/05/2008, 5:10 PM

Don Givens should have been fcuked out of that job a long time ago.

Arse hole

John83
08/05/2008, 5:11 PM

Arse hole
It's great to see people reading the thread before replying. (Not that I generally disagree with any of the above)

cheifo
08/05/2008, 5:18 PM
I recall young (mc?)Gill at Rovers playing a blinder in the cup semi final a couple of seasons ago.How is he progressing?

The Man Himself
08/05/2008, 5:19 PM
Pity you didnt read Givens comments as to why EL players wern't considered.

Also as Trap has taken 4 from the squad to the training camp in Portugal, this further wakens his base from which to pick.

This squad is about giving players experience and nothing else, just like they play 7 a side instead of a 11 a side in places like Holland for kids up to round U14s so as to develop skills and not to win at a level that really doesnt count.

thats a load of bullsballs
don givens covering up his lack of knowledge of the eircom league,
the mans a bloody waste of space.

DmanDmythDledge
08/05/2008, 5:36 PM
I wouldn't include any EL players over the current selection period, and that's not even getting to those who are just under 21.
EL players are regularly in the squad and some even in the starting line up. Darren Quigley, Conor Powell, Joe O'Carruill, Seamus Coleman, JP Kelly, Shane McFaul, Gary Dicker and Conor Sammon to name a few off the top of my head.

Ronan Finn?
I'm surprised he's never made the U21 squad (Madeira squad is generally understrength so not counting that). Not complaining all that much though as he'd probably have left UCD by now given the exposure he would have gotten.:)

As Conor O'Grady said in a recent interview if Seamus was from Dublin he would have been playing in representative squads long ago.
How do you explain all the non-Dubs in the current underage squads then?

soccerc
08/05/2008, 5:42 PM
I admit I know nothing about most of those players in that squad ..............................I suspect that he is way ahead of a lot of those players selected.

Sweet Jebus!

pineapple stu
08/05/2008, 5:48 PM
Welcome to the internet, soccerc!

A face
08/05/2008, 6:14 PM
It's great to see people reading the thread before replying. (Not that I generally disagree with any of the above)

I have read the thread and i couldn't have said it better myself

Arse hole

I completely agree with this statement. And we all know in any other position he would have. The FAI has not evolved and are still hanging onto mediocrity as if for dear life as long as they employ him.

And the worse thing is, Givens will never have to answer for the crimes he is committing against the Irish football public. He will get away with it scott free :(:mad::(

Greenforever
08/05/2008, 9:12 PM
thats a load of bullsballs
don givens covering up his lack of knowledge of the eircom league,
the mans a bloody waste of space.

Did any EL manager contradict DG on this matter, are any complaining that they are not losing players and having to look for postponments?

Is it not true that 4 of the U21s are going to Portugal?

DG has forgotten more about the EL than you or I probably will ever know.

If the U21 squad was playing at teh end of the EL season it would be reasonable to expect some players to be drafted in but then this is the disadvantage of summer soccer.

Greenforever
08/05/2008, 9:15 PM
Message deleted, hadn't read subsequent postings

The Man Himself
09/05/2008, 8:53 AM
Did any EL manager contradict DG on this matter, are any complaining that they are not losing players and having to look for postponments?

Is it not true that 4 of the U21s are going to Portugal?

DG has forgotten more about the EL than you or I probably will ever know.

If the U21 squad was playing at teh end of the EL season it would be reasonable to expect some players to be drafted in but then this is the disadvantage of summer soccer.

no club manager in world football wants their players called up for international duty, that dont mean that the givens should ignore the players,
im sure if players in the eircom league were giving the choice of playing under 21 for ireland or their club they would pick the green jersey every time,
don givens is only a tosser.

niallsparky
09/05/2008, 3:21 PM
I for one am glad that Powell or Joxer aren't in that squad. While I like to see them playing for Ireland, Bohs comes first for me and if it means them missing games then keep them home.

I don't that this is some sneaky ploy by Givens and even though I am skeptical of his management skills, I think he is being honest in this situation.

Greenforever
10/05/2008, 8:47 PM
no club manager in world football wants their players called up for international duty, that dont mean that the givens should ignore the players,
im sure if players in the eircom league were giving the choice of playing under 21 for ireland or their club they would pick the green jersey every time,

to be perfectly honest your posts on this thread and other threads suggest that maybe it's you not don thats the one with something missing on top

you slag off a man who gave his life to football and then in another thread you wonder what can be done to save an EL club from going bust, well if the club had servants like the man you slagged off maybe they would not be in the trouble they are in,

if el players were included in this trip they would be looking for postponments which cost all clubs money, money they don't have

i'd recommend to you engage brain before posting

A face
11/05/2008, 9:37 PM
to be perfectly honest your posts on this thread and other threads suggest that maybe it's you not don thats the one with something missing on top

if el players were included in this trip they would be looking for postponments which cost all clubs money, money they don't have

i'd recommend to you engage brain before posting

To be fair, you are dragging another issue into that post. The Man Himself is right in what he said. No manager wants players to miss games or have a pile up of fixtures as a result but it is a cop out by Given to say that.

niallsparky's post outlines why its not in clubs interests for clubs to miss players but its a practising hazard, you cant avoid it, either in Winter Football or Summer Soccer, players will have to miss out games. They shouldn't be denied the right to play for their country because of this.

you slag off a man who gave his life to football and then in another thread you wonder what can be done to save an EL club from going bust, well if the club had servants like the man you slagged off maybe they would not be in the trouble they are in

I think the 'a man who gave his life to football' is a bit rich. The guy from what i can see is completely self serving, a quality that should automatically eliminate him from the position he is in imo. And aside from that, the guy is pathetic .... just look at his record. Evaluate his contribution to the Irish game. I dont think the glass is half empty, i think the guy has smashed the glass. We need a new glass ..... fast ..... Givens Out yesterday.

BohsPartisan
11/05/2008, 10:52 PM

Thats cr@p in fairness. I agree there has been an overreaction and that Givens explained why he didn't pick any. But if you think Scunthorpe and the like have better players than Bohs, Pats, Cork and Drogheda then you know nothing about football. Period.

A face
11/05/2008, 11:41 PM
Thats cr@p in fairness. I agree there has been an overreaction and that Givens explained why he didn't pick any. But if you think Scunthorpe and the like have better players than Bohs, Pats, Cork and Drogheda then you know nothing about football. Period.

I'll go further, if he thinks that Scunthorpe have better U21s than any eL clubs U21 players then he knows nothing about football. Period. End of paragraph, chapter, book. End of.

Greenforever
12/05/2008, 8:01 AM
I think the 'a man who gave his life to football' is a bit rich. The guy from what i can see is completely self serving, a quality that should automatically eliminate him from the position he is in imo. And aside from that, the guy is pathetic .... just look at his record. Evaluate his contribution to the Irish game. I dont think the glass is half empty, i think the guy has smashed the glass. We need a new glass ..... fast ..... Givens Out yesterday.

I think you misunderstood my post, I was referring to Austin Mullen as a man who gave his life to football, and if clubs had more of his type around they would all be better off.

Givens is a professional and in that regard even if he has given his life to football he's been well rewarded for it:D

inchicore_saint
12/05/2008, 12:56 PM
Noel Haverty of St Pats is good enough to be in the squad.

A face
12/05/2008, 5:41 PM
I think you misunderstood my post, I was referring to Austin Mullen as a man who gave his life to football, and if clubs had more of his type around they would all be better off.

Ah right, totally got that one wrong. Sorry about that, and i fully agree with it too.

Givens is a professional and in that regard even if he has given his life to football he's been well rewarded for it:D

What did we do to deserve this man? Seriously though, could we apply for a job in China or somewhere from him. If its a good enough offer he might go.

TonyD
12/05/2008, 8:47 PM
In fairness to Givens (If that's allowed :eek:) He did specifically mention Quigley, O'Cearuill and Conor Powell off Bohs as 3 players who were definitely still in the running for the squad. And remember, it was Givens who picked Crowe to start upfront for Ireland, and included Wes Hoolahan in the same squad, so I don't think he can be painted as being anti LOI. As far as I'm aware he has picked local players for the U21s on a regular basis too.

A face
12/05/2008, 11:14 PM
In fairness to Givens (If that's allowed :eek:)

Its allowed alright, doesn't make it right though ;)

irishfan
15/05/2008, 3:49 PM
I recall young (mc?)Gill at Rovers playing a blinder in the cup semi final a couple of seasons ago.How is he progressing?

Playing shocking at the moment and is regularly singled out for a stick by the Rovers fans.

Cymro
15/05/2008, 8:02 PM

Why? Scunthorpe are a Championship team, albeit one that got relegated this year, playing in front of crowds higher than any Irish team and paying wages a good deal higher too no doubt. Logic suggests that if you pay higher money you get better players (on average) so I'd suggest that they do have better players than the teams you mentioned.

Buller
15/05/2008, 8:06 PM
Playing shocking at the moment and is regularly singled out for a stick by the Rovers fans.

I have only even seen Eric play particularly well in one game and that was that semi-final yonks ago... He isn't up to it but Scully is remarkably insistant on playing him. He's young yet so he's got plenty of time to develop I suppose...