PDA

View Full Version : GUFC v Fharps

Pages : [1] 2

Tir Oilean
07/05/2008, 1:59 PM
Well I'm looking forward to this one. JK has done well so far and with a bit o' luck we will take three points and close the gap. I think Terry will be getting the last laugh on the Finn Harps lad he has qouted in his signature! 4/5-0 to Harps! I don't think so!

Did JK play with Stephen Carr? any chance we could sign him til the end of the season seen as he's out of contract!!!!!:D:D

United to win 1-0

Maroon 7
07/05/2008, 2:12 PM
Really could do with 3 points in this one. Would drag us right back in into the mix.

KBurke
07/05/2008, 2:20 PM
Well I'm looking forward to this one. JK has done well so far and with a bit o' luck we will take three points and close the gap. I think Terry will be getting the last laugh on the Finn Harps lad he has qouted in his signature! 4/5-0 to Harps! I don't think so!

Did JK play with Stephen Carr? any chance we could sign him til the end of the season seen as he's out of contract!!!!!:D:D

United to win 1-0

We have injuries as it is without adding his medical bills

corbyeire
07/05/2008, 2:40 PM
lol so true kburke!

eamo1
07/05/2008, 2:51 PM
Thats according to today's Galway indo.Deegan and Russell would be my first choice centre midfield partnership but its good they are back in contention anyway.jk seems to love vinny but i'd have derek and stephen up front though.
We REALLY have to be winning this one,not just with the form Harps are in or our position in the league either.We should be winning home games vrs the bottom sides anyway.
prediction,2-0.

gufct
07/05/2008, 3:16 PM
One thing that has improved is our luck and lack of any fresh injuries so im going for a 2-0 win Flynny on the double. I too wish Derek got a chance as he showed last season he is a clinical finisher when he gets picked. Hopefully we might get a few fairweathers as harps will have a big support.

corbyeire
07/05/2008, 3:31 PM
well the fair weather has been about for a few days so hopefully so!!!

Tir Oilean
07/05/2008, 4:53 PM
V true KBurke! Fairweathers? Not many of them around anymore!

MyTown
08/05/2008, 9:44 AM
Great week for Donegal. New Tanaiste, & sod turning on Harps new ground. Lets hope we can crash the party.

Come on United - let's do it in Terryland

Claret Murph
08/05/2008, 11:58 AM
Great week for Donegal. New Tanaiste, & sod turning on Harps new ground. Lets hope we can crash the party.

Come on United - let's do it in Terryland

"let's do it in Terryland"

I hope you are right but I am going to cop out and plumb for 0-0 draw . Well to sit on the fence if Derek feels up to it in the first 10 minutes we could be in for a right rattling game from him then we could win with ease .:)

damoGUFC
08/05/2008, 3:43 PM
Confidence is high and 2 clean sheets so im going for a 2-0 win. Stevo, vinny or deego to score for me. Gethins might score against us, but Rogers knows what a clean sheet is so all is good.:D

C'mon United!!!

Sam_Heggy
08/05/2008, 8:56 PM
Confidence is high and 2 clean sheets so im going for a 2-0 win. Stevo, vinny or deego to score for me. Gethins might score against us, but Rogers knows what a clean sheet is so all is good.:D

C'mon United!!!

Do ye want him? He along with the rest of our squad is on the transfer list.
Not exactly a bad time to play us :( No goals in 7 games (and all 7 defeats), injury problems and now the transfer list thing is not looking too good for tomorrow night. :o

Con-Con
08/05/2008, 9:00 PM
2-0 United, Vinny and Stevo.

WoodquayBoy
08/05/2008, 9:21 PM
I think we'll do them 2-0 as well, O'Flynn and O'Brien

eamo1
08/05/2008, 11:24 PM
Are all yer squad on the transfer list because yer in fianancial trouble or is it just the manager trying to wake everyone up a bit with the recent results?It must be that latter,yes?

JC_GUFC
08/05/2008, 11:33 PM
Like everyone I think it will be 2-0 too.

Massive game, if we win and UCD lose to Pat's we'd be back to within 2 points of safety after a terrible start to the season.

If we lose it will be difficult to drag ourselves out of it but not impossible.

Harps have had as bad luck as us, if not worse, with injuries but our squad looks a bit better.

On the issue of fairweathers I wonder if anyone will use the excuse that the weather is too good to be spending it watching a football match!

harps1954
09/05/2008, 9:10 AM
Are all yer squad on the transfer list because yer in fianancial trouble or is it just the manager trying to wake everyone up a bit with the recent results?It must be that latter,yes?
It's the latter, Yes.

Terry-Lander
09/05/2008, 10:30 AM
2-0 Wes (set piece) and O'Flynn

KBurke
09/05/2008, 10:40 AM
[QUOTE=JC_GUFC;938209]Like everyone I think it will be 2-0 too.

Massive game, if we win and UCD lose to Pat's we'd be back to within 2 points of safety after a terrible start to the season.

If we lose it will be difficult to drag ourselves out of it but not impossible.

Harps have had as bad luck as us, if not worse, with injuries but our squad looks a bit better.

[B]On the issue of fairweathers I wonder if anyone will use the excuse that the weather is too good to be spending it watching a football match![B] [QUOTE]

That and a little rugby match in the sportsground

gufct
09/05/2008, 1:00 PM
Well Connacht are hardly setting the world alight but I suppose the lure of Beer might have something to do with it.

snookerloopy
09/05/2008, 6:12 PM
Well Connacht are hardly setting the world alight but I suppose the lure of Beer might have something to do with it.

I think the league table would show that neither are galway united

Maroon 7
09/05/2008, 8:58 PM
2-2 FT

Well how did we not win that one?

One point is a poor return from a game United dominated pretty much from start to finish. If we couldn't win that game what game can we win? Thought Harps were a complete shambles at the back which makes it all the more frustrating not to pick up all three points. That said some of our own defenders were not much better than them and again we shot ourselves in the foot by conceding some ridiculously soft goals. Harps equalising almost immediately after we deservedly took the lead a case in point. Kenna was going mad warning them to concentrate after we scored. They didn't bother taking his advice. The second Harps goal was a rocket that came from nowhere as United were camped in the Harps half. Came from Reggie fannying about on the ball at the back and losing possession when he had an age to clear it.

Reggie needs dropping too. He's been a bit of a disaster this season.

eamo1
09/05/2008, 9:24 PM
We must have had 70% possession at least but only around 5/6 shots.Harps had 2 chances all night and scored both.We HAVE to sign Gethins,great player.Drop Reggie and Fitz when Alan and John come back,both were as poor as Harps defenders.Harps will be delighted,hadnt scored in 600mins and get 2 tonight and draw.Disaster for us but its not the end of the world(or season either):).

Maroon 7
09/05/2008, 9:30 PM
We must have had 70% possession at least but only around 5/6 shots.Harps had 2 chances all night and scored both.We HAVE to sign Gethins,great player.Drop Reggie and Fitz when Alan and John come back,both were as poor as Harps defenders.Harps will be delighted,hadnt scored in 600mins and get 2 tonight and draw.Disaster for us but its not the end of the world(or season either):).

Harps did have another chance when Rodgers dropped a cross straight to a Harps player who shot over the bar but yeah Harps must have had something like 25% possession. United were camped in their half virtually all game bar the first 10 minutes of the second half.

I guess United have picked up recently but that is still very much 2 points dropped.

WoodquayBoy
09/05/2008, 9:31 PM
Disaster for us but its not the end of the world(or season either):).

I both admire your optimism, and also find it laughable. Drew with a p*ss poor Harps side, drew with an ordinary Cobh side, made an ordinary Bray side look like world beaters for 45 minutes.
3 points from a possible 30. Relegation form, especially with 3 going down. I'll keep a rein on my pessimism for one more game, but if we don't beat UCD, bye bye

eamo1
09/05/2008, 9:41 PM
Yes its relegation form AT THE MOMENT but there is signs of improvement and we are unbeaten in 3 now.Yes we should have won,yes we are "up the creek" but its not a lost cause YET.

gufct
09/05/2008, 10:09 PM
Only positive is that we didnt lose. How Derek Glynn isnt starting before Vinny beggars belief and to give him 3 minutes when we needed to get a win is plain crazy.

Maroon 7
09/05/2008, 10:28 PM
Only positive is that we didnt lose. How Derek Glynn isnt starting before Vinny beggars belief and to give him 3 minutes when we needed to get a win is plain crazy.

Yeah he should have got 20 minutes at the very least.

Didn't think Vinny played badly though but Glynn's pace could have caused chaos because Harps were all over the shop at the back at times and their big central defender had the turning circle of an oil tanker.

pixiehead
10/05/2008, 5:18 AM
Have to agree with WoodQuay. Although I think that game was our last chance and its Bye Bye now. A few of the players dont seem to give a toss and why should they when they'll all feck off at the end of the season when the stands are empty and the club cant afford them anymore. We are gone now and its as simple as that....if we cant manage a win against the teams around us then theres no chance. ITs game over in my book :(

DonO'Bate
10/05/2008, 7:32 AM
Yeah he should have got 20 minutes at the very least.

Didn't think Vinny played badly though but Glynn's pace could have caused chaos because Harps were all over the shop at the back at times and their big central defender had the turning circle of an oil tanker.

Glynn should have been brought on after Harps equalised as Vinny had run out of steam.

GuisaSaigon
10/05/2008, 9:20 AM
Regi needs to sort himself out he's not half the payer he was last season. A spell on the bench is in order until he cops on.
Though Vinny had a great game but should have been replaced by Glynn with 20 mins to go as he had to be a bit wrecked with all the effort he put in.
It's hard to see how we are getting out of this mess. :mad:

wonder88
10/05/2008, 10:42 AM
Two vital points dropped, bad sign when you can't hold on to a lead twice. Reggi in a mess at present, has to be dropped for his own sake and the teams, give him time to get his confidence back (he is no full-back anyhow). Russell and Deegan totally bossed the midfield (Deegan improving all the time), but again imagine if we had Gethins up front. What a mistake not signing him when he was on loan here, but again he spent most of his time on the bench then, crazy. Still a win against UCD, which is possible, and there is still hope. A defeat next week and we are definitely gone. Crowds falling dramatically as well.

Tir Oilean
10/05/2008, 11:46 AM
It wasnt a mistake not to sign him we tried but it was the over inflated price that stopped the deal. DerekG shouldve come on earlier his pace wouldve killed that defence

gufct
10/05/2008, 11:57 AM
Wonder you would want to check your facts Conor Played 15 games with us scoring 9 goals and he only was on the bench for 4 of the 15.Harps looked for €30,000 for him which was crazy money.

Derek Glynn has to start against UCD preferably with Bebo. Derek O'Brien & Reggis places are in danger too id say.

Tribesman
10/05/2008, 12:23 PM
Another blunder by Reggie. Need Keano to fill in at right back asap.

Leech is simply brutal, Faherty is a sub at best. Agree Glynn should have played, and definitely before Leech.

:(

gilberto_eire
10/05/2008, 12:31 PM
Was defo a mistake by Reggie but if you look at it again it was a good 30secs anyway until they scored and proper organistaion of defence could have retrieved possession again, it was 5 on 3(to us) and they still could'nt get the ball back or close down the man in possession quick enough!.

Same for the first goal neither Fitzy or Wes was marking Gethins and he got in very soft!

Only sector of the team i'd would'nt see as a priority to go would be the midfield, defence and attack needs radical change!

Conor H
10/05/2008, 1:16 PM
One nail in the coffin now anyway.

Harps were the worst team i've seen since we got promoted and they took an undeserved point.
The likes of Leech,Reggie etc need to be got rid of asap.
3 points out of 30 is a disgrace and some of the players have let the whole club down.
anything but 7 points from UCD,Bohs,Cobh and it's game,set and match on our season.

JC_GUFC
10/05/2008, 7:28 PM

Sounds like the start of the Kenna out campaign!

johnnyc299
10/05/2008, 8:27 PM
Derek Glynn was the best player in the league for the month of june 07 and got goal of the month against pats league leaders at the time and finished as utds top scorer last year. why is he not starting?

GuisaSaigon
10/05/2008, 9:19 PM
Ask Jeff Kenna:o

KBurke
11/05/2008, 2:35 AM
Derek Glynn was the best player in the league for the month of june 07 and got goal of the month against pats league leaders at the time and finished as utds top scorer last year. why is he not starting?

Whats he done since June 07?

gilberto_eire
11/05/2008, 3:11 AM
Whats he done since June 07?

A hell of a lot more then the our otther two options!

The way i see it is, i'd happily let people blast Glynn for been ''overrated'' and the likes....IF we had a better option but between the other 2 they've managed one league goal, with one of them playing over 20 games!!.

Claret Murph
11/05/2008, 4:51 AM
So that's another game gone . Like everyone in the ground saw the game was there for the taking as Harps were by far the worst team I have seen this season . I said to myself when we took the lead that this is new scoring first I wonder how long that will last and about 2 minutes is all we got . Harps were a joke at the back and any ball into the box we could have scored , but again after we took the lead we needed to go on and get another but fair play to Parkhurst as it was a cracker of a goal .
Steve and Vinny did very well but ran out of steam why was Derek only given a couple of minutes I am not sure . A lot has been said of Leech but he is a thinking player as he is always looking for the pass into space even before he gets the ball his work rate may not be the best but he can make things happen as Steve and Vinny only seem to be able to hold up the ball . I would love to see Mark score a couple to shut up the boo boys .
Let me say that Kenna's tactics remind he very much of TCs as we are still watching hoofball or is it just me ? Only under Billy did we have the ball on the ground and we passed it around .
Now i said after 6 games we were in for relegation and nothing has changed my mind as I feel we are going down with the Harps ....................

gufct
11/05/2008, 10:34 AM
Strange as some people might see it I am not as pessimistic as the majority. I said that the only positive to be taken from Friday's game was that we didnt lose and after last night we are a point closer to Cobh who we play in the next few weeks.

We have to take it one game at a time and concentrate on that game fully starting with UCD next week. I dont know what Jeffs problem with Glynny is or who has influenced his selections but i would hope that he would give him a chance soon to show what he can do. There are one or two players living on their reputations who need to be dropped to get their minds focussed on whats best for the team.We need all the squad willing to go through a brick wall to get a result and cat afford to be carrying passengers or prima donnas.

July is looming and if there are players not pulling their weight im sure they will be moved on as I cant see us being able to afford any new players in without players being let go.

Terry
11/05/2008, 5:38 PM
I see a lot of movement in july both in and out. Jeff can see where things arent working (mostly everywhere), and I believe one of the reasons he got the job was because of his links over in england and his contacts within the league here (Scully and Matthews) that will come into use when the transfer window opens. From what I've heard a decent size purse is available to him along with the exit of some players wages that arent making any mark on the field of play.

gufct
11/05/2008, 6:52 PM
dont know where the big purse is coming from as we have to be struggling financially big time.

Gaillimh Al
11/05/2008, 7:40 PM
Kenna reiterated on Friday that funds would be made available to acquire new players once the transfer window opens. He wouldn't go into detail on where they'll come from, but an educated guess would say across the water freebies.

gufct
11/05/2008, 8:13 PM
but how are we going to pay them? We would want to get rid of 4/5 players and i doubt if we have the funds to pay them off.

eamo1
11/05/2008, 9:00 PM
Its not as bad as the last time we were in the top flight and fighting relegation.The infamous Dave Connell and his notriously stupid quote after only 13 games "we are going down anyway so im preparing for next season",no player challenged him on that quote.If kenna said the same thing now there'd be a lynch-mob up in Drum the following morning.:).
Im still optimistic though,its funny that derek o.brien was brilliant under T.C but has done nothing under Clery or Kenna whereas with Jay o'Shea its the opposite.

Terry
11/05/2008, 9:03 PM
In fairness O'Brien was poor at the start of this season under TC like everyone else, definitely gone down hill this season, very poor.