PDA

View Full Version : Kidney confirmed as Ireland coach

ifk101
07/05/2008, 11:23 AM
http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/?jp=mhgbausnmhcw&c=sport

Best of luck!

pete
07/05/2008, 11:58 PM
Deserves his chance as the stand out Irish candidate. No obviously better International options.

He may have been criticised for overly forward orientated game in the past but he picked style to suit players he had.

New manager at Munster will be no harm either as will shake things up a bit. IMO Bradley not good enough.

joeSoap
08/05/2008, 11:26 AM
I'm hoping Bradley won't get the Munster position. The IRFU seem to be grooming him as he is one of their golden boys and he is well connected with the blazers at Lansdowne Road (Noel Murphy is his father-in-law), but the Munster branch seem to be quite independent, have a bit of cash and I reckon will go after a high profile name. There is no International vacancies around now-perhaps Jake White could be tempted with the right offer, or John Mitchell. I'd willingly settle for EOS ahead of Bradley ffs.

blobbyblob
09/05/2008, 9:27 AM
Says a lot about Eddie O Sullivan that the IRFU think he can be replaced by a single internal organ.

pete
13/05/2008, 12:19 PM
RTE (http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2008/0513/kidneyd.html)

Leinster assistant coach David Knox has described the appointment of Declan Kidney as Irish Rugby coach, as 'a big mistake'.

The Munster people think he [Kidney] is a messiah but I just don't understand that.

'Munster get 30 points on the board by grinding away and when the other team is shot, they try and throw the ball around a bit. Then people say, what a great team. It's rubbish.

Knox is also critical of Ronan O'Gara. 'I have been here for 3 years and I have never seen him create space for anybody,' he claimed. Yet over here he ranks with Dan Carter as the best fly-half in the world, I have never heard such rubbish.'

That Knox fella whoever he is just making a fool of himself. Talk about bitter. :rolleyes:

Who knows if Kidney can transfer his club success to the International game but he certainly deserves a chance based on his record to date.

Aberdonian Stu
13/05/2008, 1:58 PM
Leinster have issued a release distancing themselves from Knox's remarks and calling him an ex-employee. From the way it's worded it gives the impression that Knox had already departed the role before he made the comments.

Macy
13/05/2008, 2:25 PM
Yeah, heard the same on newstalk. An element of the truth in his remarks possibly, although considering it's the Leinster pack that's done the business this season maybe a bit rich.

joeSoap
13/05/2008, 3:28 PM
It's a well known fact in rugby circles as to why Knox is bitter. He was romantically involved with another senior figure at Leinster and it didn't work out, so he decided to go home to Australia. This is not speculation or gossip and I'm not prepared to go into detail. PM me if anyone wants more details. He took a lot of flak at the time when Munster crushed Leinster in the 2006 Heineken Semi, and he's probably letting off some steam. Quite pathetic really.

Student Mullet
13/05/2008, 4:21 PM
He told a few home truths mixed in with a good dose of bitter lemon. More to come tomorrow apparently.

pete
13/05/2008, 6:23 PM
He told a few home truths mixed in with a good dose of bitter lemon. More to come tomorrow apparently.

Can't argue with some of the comments but really bitter the way he delivered them. The Indo article is 95% quotes so he can't say he was misquoted. Entertaining interview though. :cool:

Weather conditions dictate a lot of the style of play in Europe. Sure the All-Blacks play a Super 14 rugby 7 style but could not win the World Cup with it.

Aberdonian Stu
14/05/2008, 9:21 AM
More of the same mix again today. Basically had a huge falling out with Brewer where it sounds like Brewer was in the right but again said some other things that were accurate.

SligoBrewer
17/05/2008, 11:36 PM
Basically had a huge falling out with Brewer where it sounds like Brewer was in the right but again said some other things that were accurate.

Hey Hey Hey.. Leave me outta this!:D