PDA

View Full Version : Carr Not Offered Contract

drummerboy
06/05/2008, 2:44 PM
Stephen Carr has been released on a Free Transfer by Newcastle. Surplus to requirements. How times have changed for him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/7385865.stm

John83
06/05/2008, 2:49 PM
He's never been a big player since his injuries at Spurs. Frankly, I'm not surprised. Newcastle need a clear out of defenders. They're linked to every half decent defender available this summer.

rambler14
06/05/2008, 3:00 PM
Probably one of the laziest and untalented players ever to play football never mind play for Ireland.

Dr. Ogba
06/05/2008, 3:06 PM
Probably one of the laziest

yes

untalented

not a chance. in his prime he was one of the best attacking full backs we ever had. shame his prime didn't last very long

rambler14
06/05/2008, 3:07 PM
not a chance. in his prime he was one of the best attacking full backs we ever had. shame his prime didn't last very long

It lasted about 10 minutes vs Cyprus.:D:D

jbyrne
06/05/2008, 3:09 PM
in his prime he was one of the best attacking full backs we ever had. shame his prime didn't last very long

have to agree. he was a very good full back prior to the knee injury that kept him out of the world cup. hasnt been the same since i'm afraid. some very good performances in his early Irish days

jovani
06/05/2008, 3:37 PM
Without doubt one of Brian kerr's mistakes in his tenure as manager of the senior squad was his stupidty to pick Carr ahead of Steve Finnan.
I mean in all honesty at the time Finnan was streets ahead of Carr !

endabob1
06/05/2008, 3:44 PM
He was the best Right Back in England before his injury Wasn't a fraction of the player he was pre-injury but was still in the pfa team of the year the season after he came back.
Defensively not 100% but was quick and able to get himself out of trouble more often than not, he was better going forward & had a rocket of a shot. By the time he left Spurs he was on the downslope - lost a lot of his pace after the injuries and started making a few defensive howlers.
Apparently Everton were sniffing around. Personally I wouldn't be surprised to see him at SundIreland next season

tetsujin1979
06/05/2008, 4:06 PM
Was at the Old Firm game a few weeks ago, could end up in the SPL

Morbo
06/05/2008, 4:30 PM
In his prime he was better than Finnan in his prime IMO, crap attitude though and since he has retired from Ireland I have no interest where he ends up to be honest

Maroon 7
06/05/2008, 6:19 PM
In his prime he was better than Finnan in his prime IMO, crap attitude though and since he has retired from Ireland I have no interest where he ends up to be honest

He had one or two seasons where he played really well. Apart from that he's always been average.

Finnan has consistently been very good year after year with only this season the first time his from has dipped due to injuries.

shakermaker1982
06/05/2008, 7:10 PM
He could still do a job for a team like Stoke, WBA, Wigan etc next season.

geysir
06/05/2008, 7:33 PM
If he can do a job for them then Trap will reckon that he should make himself available to do a job for us if needed.
Traps motto will be 'Die before Retire'.

GavinZac
06/05/2008, 7:39 PM
Phone call from Brian Kerr perhaps?

SkStu
07/05/2008, 12:13 AM
lazy, sour faced loser. Good enough for him. The first of the
spoilt-overpaid-couldnt-care-less generation if you ask me.

danonion
07/05/2008, 4:17 AM
This thread tastes like bitter lemon. As an Ireland international I wish him the best in finding another premier league club. In his short peak he was an all around better player than Finnan ever could imagine - pity his prime was so short.

Pike B
07/05/2008, 8:01 AM
Stephen Carr has been released on a Free Transfer by Newcastle. Surplus to requirements. How times have changed for him.

He's been very poor for a few years now. Not a surprise for me. And he was never better than Finnan. Ever..

Ordinary Fan
07/05/2008, 8:07 AM
World Class in his early twenties, secon-rate in his mid twenties, on the scrap-heap in his early thirties, football ia a cruel sport.
Never recovered physically or mentally from the knee injury at Spurs, sad to see a player fade away before your eyes.

Morbo
07/05/2008, 8:21 AM
He had one or two seasons where he played really well. Apart from that he's always been average.

Finnan has consistently been very good year after year with only this season the first time his from has dipped due to injuries.

I agree Finnan has been more consistant but for those couple of seasons before he got injured I think Carr was a better player than Finnan ever was

rambler14
07/05/2008, 9:22 AM

I agree

Sliogán Dóite
07/05/2008, 9:30 AM
Phone call from Brian Kerr perhaps?

Schadenfreude?
I thought they didn't get on with each other.

eirebhoy
07/05/2008, 9:58 AM
Given his reputation for being a grump so and so I think I should post this again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWTj6wuEqzc

I was shocked when I saw it. :D Suprised with Duffer too. There's another video with Duff and Keane up at the bar in a packed Celtic pub. I didn't think that was Duffs scene.

gustavo
07/05/2008, 10:06 AM

On what basis are you saying Carr was overpaid ? Any why was he the first to be overpaid?

CvilleRovers
07/05/2008, 11:32 AM
Was at the Old Firm game a few weeks ago, could end up in the SPL

no need for him at celtic anyway, enough right backs as it is

Billy-Green
07/05/2008, 11:50 AM
In his prime he was better than Finnan in his prime IMO, :D

Dont make me laugh

back of the net
07/05/2008, 12:47 PM

pre 2002 - one of the best right backs in europe , definitely the prem

but now a lower premiership team/championship team player

back of the net
07/05/2008, 1:02 PM
no need for him at celtic anyway, enough right backs as it is

celtic have enough sh8t right backs

Metrostars
02/10/2008, 7:50 PM
Speculation on his possible return to Newcastle:

Newcastle United seem likely to end their quest for a new right-back by re-signing the man they released in the summer - Stephen Carr...

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=890853

irishfan86
02/10/2008, 11:12 PM
Speculation on his possible return to Newcastle:

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=890853

Kinnear dismissed that earlier today, saying that he had enough fullbacks returning from injury.

OwlsFan
03/10/2008, 8:30 AM
Should this thread not be in History Section or World Football since if I recall correctly he's retired from international football ;)

Irish_Praha
04/10/2008, 7:54 PM
:D

Dont make me laugh

It's not a joke, before his injury he made the Premership team of the year and even chipped in with a few classy goals like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDM52QpNTTs

Then he got injured and missed Irelands first major championships in 8 years and when he came back from his injury he became an ordinary EPL-class RB. Instead of one of the best young players in Europe in his position. Of course he should be grateful that he could still play at such a high level for the next 6 years but after his breakthrough at Spurs he probably had much bigger plans. I agree he appears to be a grumpy ****** but it is sort of understandable.

seanfhear
04/10/2008, 7:59 PM
Irish praha you are correct
Stephen Carr was never the same player after his injury.
It must be hard to take as a player when you know better than anyone what might have been.