PDA

View Full Version : Liam Mackey

A face
06/05/2008, 8:27 AM
While i have heard the guys name numerous times before, i think having seen him on MNS i think his take on the game carries a bit more weight now, obviously no small part to that is the guy knows what he is talking about.

He is exclusively a Sports Writer these days? And what paper(s) does he write for? Just did a quick Google and found his profile here. (http://www.loopline.com/gallery/whos_who/loopline_people/11.htm)

I dont care what anyone says, Liam Mackey is the polar opposite to Roddy Collins (who only has the comedy factor going for him) and its brilliant to hear someone so informed on the game.

Magicme
06/05/2008, 8:34 AM
Yeah have said that before, Mackey knows the game and is intelligent and funny. Am not just saying that coz have worked with him. Genuine gentleman too.

LeixlipRed
06/05/2008, 9:30 AM
What amazes me is how Dave Barry gets by day to day. Barry can hide his complete lack of intelligence or knowledge about the game when accompanied by Roderick and Morley for example. But when Rico and Mackay are around he looks like the gibbering idiot he really is. Some of the stuff he comes out with is hilarious.

"Well I think like, Cork need to dominate games more and [insert any players name] is a smashing player and he needs to get involved"

Needs to be read out loud in Dave Barryspeak to be fully appreciated :D

DmanDmythDledge
06/05/2008, 9:34 AM
He writes for the Irish Examiner and is one of the best football journos in the country imo. Comes across very well on MNS and I think he has been the best analysist so far.

saint dog
06/05/2008, 9:36 AM
barry would be better off doing the sunday game with spillan

LeixlipRed
06/05/2008, 9:37 AM
barry would be better off doing the sunday game with spillan

:confused:

Just basing that on the accent are ya? The guy knows nothing about anything.

A face
06/05/2008, 9:46 AM
Just basing that on the accent are ya? The guy knows nothing about anything.

And you know this how? You obviously dont like the guy but at least keep it in prespective. Just because you dont like him doesn't make the above statment true.

The only reason i am saying this is because its always you that comes out with this, a few other might agree at the time but you are constantly out for him, which is the reason your opinion doesn't carry as much (if any) weight on the topic.

LeixlipRed
06/05/2008, 9:50 AM
What?? I do believe that's the first time I've ever mentioned Dave Barry's name in a post on here.

A face
06/05/2008, 9:55 AM
What?? I do believe that's the first time I've ever mentioned Dave Barry's name in a post on here.

Ha ha, is it LeixlipRed, is it really ?? :eek::p

It makes no odds to me man, i not the one fuming at the gills over him. Deep breaths fella, count to ten, go for a walk. It'll all work out in the end.

LeixlipRed
06/05/2008, 9:56 AM
Eh, right so. He's still a vacuous blob of a man. Great player mind you

A face
06/05/2008, 10:07 AM
Eh, right so. He's still a vacuous blob of a man. Great player mind you

Stop sitting on the fence LeixlipRed, whats your opinion of Liam Mackey, c'mon ... spit it out :p

LeixlipRed
06/05/2008, 10:16 AM
Actually going back to Mackey, he does go on a bit though. And sometimes seems a little disinterested. Like the panel is beneath his intellectual level.

sligoman
06/05/2008, 10:48 AM
Can't stand Mackey. He has one of the most boring voices I've ever heard and likes to interupt people when they're talking. Loves hearing his own voice.

A face
06/05/2008, 11:01 AM
Actually going back to Mackey, he does go on a bit though. And sometimes seems a little disinterested. Like the panel is beneath his intellectual level.

Well if a guy knows nothing about nothing then surely he is so.

Longfordian
06/05/2008, 11:50 AM
I don't like Mackey really, his ultra laid back demeanour gets on my nerves, slouched down on the couch with one leg cocked up in the air like a dog having a jimmy riddle. Seems to love the sound of his own voice.

ramsfan
06/05/2008, 1:50 PM
at least he has an unbiased view and a good knowledge of domestic football rather than some of the other clowns like sadlier and collins

superfrank
06/05/2008, 1:52 PM
I don't like him on MNS.

He doesn't seem too bothered about being on the telly. He just sits there with his arms crossed, staring at the floor. He has to be woken up to give an opinion and then he mumbles about what the league was like years ago.

How is this good?

I don't read any of his articles so I can't comment on them.

HarpoJoyce
06/05/2008, 5:38 PM
My problem with Liam Mackey and The Examiner is that they contrive an "Angry Fans" column. Invites football fans to give their opinions on the weekend football. No problem with the clubs or country usually represented (mostly 5 clubs out of the Premier League in England). I have a problem with the presumption that football fans are angry.

The Examiner is better value for me now with 2(TWO) Premier Division sides from Cork and Mackey does a report for the following day.

RedRebel32
06/05/2008, 5:51 PM
mackey is the best on the show.no amount of ''oo his laid back demeanor and crossed leg annoy me'' will distract from the fact that when he speaks the content is consistently excellent

Sheridan
06/05/2008, 5:56 PM
Mackey is an awful eejit. Doesn't know anything about the game. Reminds me of when Paddy Mulligan went on eL Weekly and everyone raved about his performance because he blustered a bit, despite the fact that he plainly hadn't been in touch with the league for years and probably couldn't name twenty players in it.

Maroon 7
06/05/2008, 6:16 PM

Well if he's on a panel with Roddy he's probably right.

bellavistaman
06/05/2008, 8:00 PM
is his article on examiner a set day or what??

DmanDmythDledge
06/05/2008, 10:50 PM
is his article on examiner a set day or what??
Dunno, not in Cork very often so not sure. Always has something about the Premiership in Arena on Wednesday and I think he always has something about the eL around the weekend.

harry crumb
06/05/2008, 11:17 PM
Lapsed Shamrock Rovers supporter as far as I know.

Writes some good stuff in the Examiner.

deecay
06/05/2008, 11:31 PM
Mackey is an awful eejit. Doesn't know anything about the game.
Thats just wrong

CvilleRovers
07/05/2008, 11:46 AM
I don't like Mackey really, his ultra laid back demeanour gets on my nerves, slouched down on the couch with one leg cocked up in the air like a dog having a jimmy riddle. Seems to love the sound of his own voice.

ye its incredible how laid back someone is allowed to be on the tv, great description btw :D

A face
07/05/2008, 12:20 PM
Thats just wrong

Dead right its wrong. Can the rest of Sheridans comments be taken seriously in this thread? Paddy Mulligan seemed to know more than some of the other panelist on ELW, involved in the league or not.

CharlesThompson
07/05/2008, 4:33 PM
I like Mackey. I find him insightful and interesting and contrary to what others say, the whole show has a laid back feel to it so singling Mackey out for being 'laid back' is kinda like saying that you don't like the show.

I don't buy the Examiner, but if I knew he had an article on a particular day I'd probably make the effort.

I met him once - last season - at Dalymount. I'm pretty sure it was against Cork, and found him to be a gentleman. He was heading away and instead of giving me the short shrift, he delayed to chat for a few minutes. Yeah, I've got a lot of time for him and my understanding is that he has been a regular at eL grounds for years so I suppose as a journalist, he's probably as knowledgable as anyone.

As for Paddy fücking Mulligan. Give me break!

GavinZac
07/05/2008, 6:13 PM
Well if he's on a panel with Roddy he's probably right.

:D lol

depor
07/05/2008, 10:03 PM
mackey is a class sports journalist, he comes up with some excellent articles on football, both domestic and foreign.
he also is the main football man on the examiner, who produce some of the best european football coverage.the ''champions'' mag is very good. his articles on ramblers and cork city are also very good.