PDA

View Full Version : Rovers 3-2 Shams

Pages : [1] 2

forza rovers
03/05/2008, 9:12 PM
great crowd.chris buttler man of the match saved 2 shots of the line.cash,almada,boco all scored.shams player got sent off in the last couple of minutes for hitting Alan Moore because he wouldn't give him the ball.match report from the web site;http://www.sligorovers.com/content/view/531/1/

sligoman
03/05/2008, 9:38 PM
Great result but can't believe we came so close to throwing it away in the end, I'm sure Cook won't be happy with that. We were so comfortable throughout and the game should have just been over before Shams had chance to come back. Still, another 3 points is huge, Mauro on the scoresheet again and great crowd there. Set's us up nicely for Cork. Hopefully no injuries picked up on Tuesday.

Great goal by Cash too!

90minutes
03/05/2008, 9:47 PM
great result - 3 points and thats all that matters. abit dissappointed how we finished the game. Boco is pure quality - great touch and goal.
nice crowd aswell
if only the halftime entertainment was like this every week

avvenalaf
03/05/2008, 10:03 PM
Best back five we've had for a long time - it would have been a scandal if we had not held out. Should point out for anyone reading who was not there that the game was played in a gale. We had it in the first half and scored twice.. They had it in the second half and scored twice. Difference was, we had Boco and a great back five.

90minutes
03/05/2008, 10:13 PM
brushie is a class act
by the way did anyone see jennings doing his warm-up

showgies
03/05/2008, 10:33 PM
Phew !!!!!!!!!!! I never thought I would ever feel a little disappointed after beating Shams but it would have been a sickner if we hadn't won this game. I only feel disappointed because we looked like keeping another clean sheet, but fair play to Shams they threw a lot of men forward.

There are some cracking goals for MNS, from both sides. Terrific to see a big crowd. It has often being the case where we get a big crowd but no entertainment - not so tonight.

I thought Anto done really well in the middle of the park. The defence were superb for most of the night. Butler deserved the MOTM. Great to see Boco score that type of goal - this should give him confidence for future games.

Rovers1
03/05/2008, 11:39 PM
great win...was sure we'd thrown it away at the end. Shams werent themselves this evening, think we got them at a good time. Bring on Cork!

deecay
03/05/2008, 11:44 PM
Great to see Mc Cloat squareing up to a teenager on the railway end when he protested about a 'No to Lisbon' banner being taken down and Burke ripping it down.Sligo Rovers are non politcal but if you have enough money(Imelda Henry on the pitch at a game at h/t last season) you can be as politcal as you want.Burke said we would get fined for it,which is a lie.McCloat tryed to make a joke of us for donating €600 to the club,this man is as bad as it gets.

Great crowd,Shams still brings huge numbers out.Great result,Brush and Almeida were fantastic,Peers and Raf at a consistant high standard,Anto did great in the middle,Seamie was quite:ball:

prodsc
04/05/2008, 12:19 AM
Why was McKenzie brought on with Moore on the bench with experience in midfield? Peers and Almedia won everything in the air at the back, Brush made a few GREAT saves. BUT WHY ARE WE STILL PLAYING THE LONG BALL TO FAZ who wont jump for a header!!!!!!!!!!!

Lucky to get away with a win in the end, I bet Scully will harp on about their last minute effort that was cleared off the line and maybe about the worst pitch in the premier league...........

3 points!!!!

dfx-
04/05/2008, 2:07 AM
Shams werent themselves this evening, think we got them at a good time.

Oh we were!

I refuse to believe that last header could possibly have stayed out, but any Rovers fan at the game would be hard pushed to say we remotely deserved the draw.

The second goal was just a long throw, ffs:mad:

Rovers Maniac
04/05/2008, 8:13 AM
Oh we were!

I refuse to believe that last header could possibly have stayed out, but any Rovers fan at the game would be hard pushed to say we remotely deserved the draw.

Poor wee Shams :D

Only1Rovers
04/05/2008, 9:24 AM
Oh we were!

What’s going on at Shams?

There not playing the type of football the club is synonymous with.

Shiba
04/05/2008, 10:00 AM
Brillant game good crowd and plenty of action.Scully will be moaning as usual no doubt But Fuk him we got the result required.I just hope our lads have takn a lesson from this one.After going 3 up we got complacant and almost paid the price! That lineman owed us one after Harps last week and I think he repaid it in a big way imo. Shams didnt deserve anything out of this game but almost did cos they didnt give up we did we thought it was all over! A lesson learned I hope!

Rovers fan
04/05/2008, 11:47 AM
Great win,great crowd,great atmosphere. But we went bloody close to feckin it up. The first goal we went to sleep,free header. For the 2nd goal seamie was the only putting a bit of pressure on. Then we panicked. You could see a few of the players were sh1tting it when they got the corner at the end. Its bad for the goal difference and its always nice to beat our rivaks by as much as we can but the lads will learn from that,especially as they are such a young squad. I'd say cookie will be happy with the 3 points. As someone said long ball up to faz doesn't work. Its not that he isn't trying its just not his type of game.
Anybody know why the shams player got sent off and did someone throw a bottle at him?

sligoman
04/05/2008, 11:50 AM
You could see a few of the players were sh1tting it when they got the corner at the end.That should do the pitch no harm anyway:).

Rory H
04/05/2008, 11:54 AM
It's looking very good at the moment. early days but we looked a much better team than Shamrock Rovers. I think we can compete with Derry too so maybe 5th wouldn't be out of the question. As for looking above that....very difficult . Great test this week with having 3 games in 6 days and finishing if off in Cork.

Showgies was buzzing last night, wish it was like that every week with that size crowd.

deecay
04/05/2008, 12:13 PM
Great work from Keith O Dwyer again,alot of people there because of him and the h/t entertainment went well,there was an huge amount of kids and it all ran smoothly

avvenalaf
04/05/2008, 12:30 PM
Anybody know why the shams player got sent off and did someone throw a bottle at him?[/QUOTE]

Ball went out for a throw was thrown back and Alan Moore, who was warming up, headed it back into the crowd (as one does). Good man, Alan. Shams guy hit him a slap and he went down dead. Off.
Empty plastic bottle thrown in direction of Shams player which, if it had hit him, would have resulted in 'fatal' injury and another fine for the club.

deecay
04/05/2008, 1:17 PM
Empty plastic bottle thrown in direction of Shams player which, if it had hit him, would have resulted in 'fatal' injury and another fine for the club.
It was probley thrown from the singing section,they are a disgracefull bunch

Ballagh Red
04/05/2008, 4:08 PM
Would have been some throw to get it across Scullys head deecay. maybe it's because Scully thinks our pitch is so poor that shams kept it up in the air. it was like playing Dublin City again. Great to see a decent crowd.

Red&White Rover
04/05/2008, 4:28 PM
Great win, great crowd...We fought well, and to be honest Shams were never in the game only for their late strikes. Although we'll need to concentrate for the full 90 from now on.

Boco was immense as was Butler and Almeida (yet again)....Roll on the X!

srfc1928
04/05/2008, 11:37 PM
A Great result, game, and team performance.
We were 3 up and defended too deep.
Mc Kenzie in the middle of the park !
Would of preferred to see Moore come on instead to keep the ball.
Brush and the defence were gutted at the end to concede two goals,
Which was good to see, shows they care and have pride in their performance
Credit to Cookie hes doing a fantastic job on a small budget,
hes brought a group of players together that we can be proud of.
People around the town are starting to talk about Rovers in a positive way again
On the crowd, KO’D is doing a great job promoting the club.
The Showgrounds was buzzin last night.
Hopefully we can keep things going in the right direction,
It feels good to be a Rovers supporter at the moment

clubman
05/05/2008, 9:08 AM
Considering how well we have been doing of late, considering the opposition, considering the hype and promotion this game received prior to kick-off I must say that the 'gate' was very disappointing. Let there be one thing we must be sure of this season and it's this, Rovers budget this season is by no means a small one, in fact it's the biggest budget the club has ever operated off in the history of the club. On saying that Paul Cook, Gerry Carr and all the players are doing a fantastic job but the club need more and more people coming out to support it.
The game itself was a game of two halves. The gale force wind had a huge bearing on proceedings and I had a gut feeling that Shams would come strong in the second half. Our third goal would have killed off any other side in this league but the Shams were really up for it. There's no way they deserved anything from the game and thankfully they got what they deserved but hey that last few minutes was heart stopping stuff. Brushie was outstanding as was the other members of defence. I too was somewhat down leaving the grounds thinking we should had held on to the clean sheet but in the cold light of day I realise this was a great display and well done to all concerned. Our support, our singing section was once again top notch - well done once again lads you do the club proud.
Just to finish up on a more sombre note I really do worry for the future of the club when we see a half empty stadium at a game that had received such well deserved hype and well done once again to Keith, the Trust, Ocean and the local media for doing their bit too.

Shiba
05/05/2008, 9:33 AM
Considering how well we have been doing of late, considering the opposition, considering the hype and promotion this game received prior to kick-off I must say that the 'gate' was very disappointing. Let there be one thing we must be sure of this season and it's this, Rovers budget this season is by no means a small one, in fact it's the biggest budget the club has ever operated off in the history of the club. On saying that Paul Cook, Gerry Carr and all the players are doing a fantastic job but the club need more and more people coming out to support it.
The game itself was a game of two halves. The gale force wind had a huge bearing on proceedings and I had a gut feeling that Shams would come strong in the second half. Our third goal would have killed off any other side in this league but the Shams were really up for it. There's no way they deserved anything from the game and thankfully they got what they deserved but hey that last few minutes was heart stopping stuff. Brushie was outstanding as was the other members of defence. I too was somewhat down leaving the grounds thinking we should had held on to the clean sheet but in the cold light of day I realise this was a great display and well done to all concerned. Our support, our singing section was once again top notch - well done once again lads you do the club proud.
Just to finish up on a more sombre note I really do worry for the future of the club when we see a half empty stadium at a game that had received such well deserved hype and well done once again to Keith, the Trust, Ocean and the local media for doing their bit too.

Moan Moan Moan!

Red&White Rover
05/05/2008, 9:58 AM
Considering how well we have been doing of late, considering the opposition, considering the hype and promotion this game received prior to kick-off I must say that the 'gate' was very disappointing.

Someone ban this absolute clown.

That's the one of the biggest crowds we've had a league game (bar Athlone in 05) for years and you say it isn't good enough? What are you expecting? All-ticket matches every week? KO'D has done an excellent job in getting bums on seats so far this season compared to last years non-existent CPO. We're on form, but we were also 6th in the league before this match. Mid-table. 3,000 + for a mid-table team like Rovers is not "disappointing" to me...

Grow up FFS.

Rovers Maniac
05/05/2008, 10:05 AM

You are full of it.

Red4Eva
05/05/2008, 10:11 AM
Someone ban this absolute clown.

That's the one of the biggest crowds we've had a league game (bar Athlone in 05) for years and you say it isn't good enough? What are you expecting? All-ticket matches every week? KO'D has done an excellent job in getting bums on seats so far this season compared to last years non-existent CPO. We're on form, but we were also 6th in the league before this match. Mid-table. 3,000 + for a mid-table team like Rovers is not "disappointing" to me...

Grow up FFS.

spot on R&W. KO'D has done a great job so far

red bellied
05/05/2008, 10:30 AM
Fair play to O Dywer he is obviously giving Rovers alot of exposure and definetely has got more people through the gate.But for the likes of Shams and Rovers recent results the crowd should have been bigger. No gripe against O Dywer here. Attendances will start to drop, now we are entering the silly season. Hopefully if the good form continues it wont be too noticeable. Thought the crowd against Shams was 2800.

SligoBrewer
05/05/2008, 11:28 AM
Fair play to O Dywer he is obviously giving Rovers alot of exposure and definetely has got more people through the gate.But for the likes of Shams and Rovers recent results the crowd should have been bigger. No gripe against O Dywer here. Attendances will start to drop, now we are entering the silly season. Hopefully if the good form continues it wont be too noticeable. Thought the crowd against Shams was 2800.

Just under 2500 was the attendance.

Rovers Maniac
05/05/2008, 1:02 PM
I thought Anto done well in the middle last night and his throws are like winning a corner. Buttler and Brush were superb the whole back line were solid, the rest worked really hard and got the correct result. Roll on tomorrow.

clubman
05/05/2008, 5:23 PM
Just under 2500 was the attendance.

Lads do the maths.
I have a MOAN that a crowd of 2500 (not all paying customers) is not enough to sustain the weekly wage bill and I get slaughtered. For God's sake lads wake up and come into the real world.

Shiba
05/05/2008, 5:27 PM
Lads do the maths.
I have a MOAN that a crowd of 2500 (not all paying customers) is not enough to sustain the weekly wage bill and I get slaughtered. For God's sake lads wake up and come into the real world.

Who didnt pay?

deecay
05/05/2008, 5:29 PM
Who didnt pay?
Cliffoney-Grange players/officals afaik

Shiba
05/05/2008, 5:42 PM
Cliffoney-Grange players/officals afaik

Players (Kids) didnt Pay,all Parents and officals had to pay.The idea is to attract these people back.Must kids brought at least 1 parent.Some of which may never been in the showgrounds before.So take out the cost of the kids going in €5 from the parents entry fee of €15 that leaves €10 per parent coming through the gates proably extra of €600 - €1000 in the coffers not including what was spent in the ground and the pubblicity gained by the club.I know this as I was involved with Strand Celtic going 2 weeks ago.

Youd want to start looking at the bigger picture .Like I said "Moan Moan Moan"

Rovers Maniac
05/05/2008, 6:12 PM
Lads some of you would want to read a little up on these deals youth teams are getting. It is these clubs intrest to sell as many tickets as possible as they get €10 per ticket sold. At the end of the day we are in mid table, they was over 2,500 at the game as if you take the Wateford game last year in the cup there was 2,600 odd at it and there was a lot more there on Saturday.

sligored
05/05/2008, 6:15 PM
dont heed him . clubman is a wind up merchant. great crowd . great game. great result.
so many positive vibes around the town. - i never met so many happy souls as i did at the races yesterday after saturdays night performance.

maths lesson
2500 people average say 10 euro equals 25000
18 players at average 500 euro equals 9000
two weeks wages paid with a 7000 leftover
thats not to mention other revenue streams

if we dont pay top players we wont get top crowds
its economics "clubman????" - what club would that be

sligoman
05/05/2008, 6:22 PM
18 players at average 500 euro equals 9000The budget is higher than that.

Rovers Maniac
05/05/2008, 6:25 PM
Clubman is a wind up merchant

Found the goals on yotube and you can see there is a very decent crowd behind the goals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m55KiWmG1ZA

Boo_Boy
05/05/2008, 6:39 PM
i never met so many happy souls as i did at the races yesterday after saturdays night performance.

yea i was talking to a few people at the races who were never at a rovers game until they brought there kids on saturday, i asked would they be going back, they all said the kids had a great time and they will be out there for the next game.:)

Always good to hear about people enjoying they're first rovers game.

Rovers Maniac
05/05/2008, 6:59 PM
Same as that real feel good factor around the club at the moment and it is down to Cookie, he is a great man imo and a real nice guy.

redtildead
05/05/2008, 8:05 PM

I would say double the wage budget would be about right

srfc1928
05/05/2008, 8:15 PM
In relation to a Rovers - shams game from yesteryear.

I see on the main fourm Jimmy McGee's son Paul has passed away.
Paul scored the equaliser for shams against Rovers in the title winning game in '77.

RIP - Paul Mc Gee

red arrow
05/05/2008, 8:31 PM
i have to agree with clubman that the budget that we have for this year is the biggest in the clubs history. at the moment we are on a cliff edge regarding finance. i know what the wages are and especially to "sligo red" your assesment is way off the mark both with the gate receipt (e25000) and the weekly wage bill ( circa e 9000) i cannot give figures here for a very good reason but all i will say is (as i have always suggested in previous posts) that sligo rovers needs every cent it can get its hand on at the moment and a lot more. only that the team are performing well and that the gates are fairly good we would be in even bigger trouble. lets get the facts straight here. we do not have a major sponsor (i.e some body or business to injects approx K 150) or can we use our ground as colateral to generate revenue like bohs and drogheda have being doing. in general the individual peole of sligo have being very good at buying "holiday draw tickets" supporting the lotto plus etc. the next step is to ensure that the "liverpool legends " is a success. there is a possibilty to generate circa k40 profit but we need people to sell these tickets amd support the fundraiser and the dinner dance. it will cost approx 1.25 million to run sligo rovers this year we have roughly 17 home league games and with a bit of luck a few cup games even if you generate k20 on all your home games this gives k340 still a very long way from 1.25 million. so therfore it is imperative that all the ventures that the club are running are fully supported. even when you enter the ground by buying a programe a 1/2 time raffle ticket something from the shop .this is all helping the club. even if we were to be successfull this year and win something the combination of prize money gate receipts etc would not reach the clubs budget targets. that is how perilous the situation is. so the message i wish to get out clearly to the masses it is a huge struggle to keep the show on the road. the club needs all the support it can get. it needs people to sell lotto tickets it needs people to tell other people about how good the football is in the eircom league.we nnwd to get the message out there that sligo rovers is a proud football club a very good football club with a lot of very hard working voluntary people who give of their time for the love of sligo rovers. so to red white rover ,sligo red , srfc 1928 and shiba take note of the above because that is the reality and clubman is not a wind up merchant. he is very close to the facts. dont for 1 minute think that i am giving out to anybody here its just that i love sligo rovers as much as anybody else on this board and i am doing my bit but i fell that there are more people out there who could help. the club has requested several times for help in the past the response has being average. wee need to keep the ship afloat lads so do what you can to support the club. my gut feeling is that we could have a great season on the playing field and maybe win something but tu achieve that we need to bring more finance to the club. one thing that i was very dissapointed with over the weekend was the player sponsorship in the program . i counted only six players sponsored. i believe to sponsor a player the cost is e600 to e750. even if six lads got togeather and put e100 each this would help. i rest my case

sligoman
05/05/2008, 8:52 PM
or can we use our ground as colateral to generate revenue like bohs and drogheda have being doing.Yes we can, we're just not doing it. A car park/clubhouse and other stuff have been discussed before but it gets shot down every time, the club are obviously not interested in developing the ground.

sligored
05/05/2008, 9:24 PM
come on redarrow - lets get your opinion on the removal of the ultra flag at the weekend - do we or do we not allow political statements (a non offensive one at that) to be made within the confines of our ground. clubman feels that the removal was acceptable.

he also was disappointed with the attendance at the match last saturday night.

i still think he is a wind up merchant.

sligoman
05/05/2008, 9:28 PM
lets get your opinion on the removal of the ultra flag at the weekendAs was stated earlier in this thread, it was not an ultra flag.

clubman
05/05/2008, 9:31 PM
dont heed him . clubman is a wind up merchant. great crowd . great game. great result.
so many positive vibes around the town. - i never met so many happy souls as i did at the races yesterday after saturdays night performance.

maths lesson

if we dont pay top players we wont get top crowds
its economics "clubman????" - what club would that be

What planet did you drop off lad???
"If we don't pay top players we won't get top crowds"
And you suggest the top players are on 500 euro a week?
I suggest you guys do your homework before you spoof off here on this messgae board.
To finish off on this whole argument I pose the following question to all you guys that think the game promotion excerise is such a huge success:
How much money did the club from north sligo receive from ticket sales and how much did Rovers get. To simplify the answer you can give it in percentage.
AS I SAY DO YOUR HOMEWORK

srfc1928
05/05/2008, 9:40 PM
Red Arrow where in my post did I refer to Clubman being a wind up merchant ?
I think if you read my post again you will find only positive.
I posted on the 04/05/08. Clubman posted the following day.
I refered to the the budget being small, by that I meant it was small in comparison to other clubs in the league, and that Paul Cook was doing a fantastic job with what he had at his disposal.
I know things are tough, but you are always on to us to be positive but I think you are being negative, you may say realistic, but we have just beatin our traditional biggest rivals and some of the elder statesmen of the forum are talkin down.
Shame on you;)

biscuit
05/05/2008, 9:41 PM
Would i be correct that the wage bill, per week is something closer to 17-18k?? (thats not including cookies salary)

Shiba
05/05/2008, 10:35 PM
Lads some of you would want to read a little up on these deals youth teams are getting. It is these clubs intrest to sell as many tickets as possible as they get €10 per ticket sold. At the end of the day we are in mid table, they was over 2,500 at the game as if you take the Wateford game last year in the cup there was 2,600 odd at it and there was a lot more there on Saturday.

Sorry cant agree with you! Im involve with strand and we recieved nothing in fact we paid on the gate.