PDA

View Full Version : Tonights Latest

Boo_Boy
03/05/2008, 7:18 PM
Sligo Rovers 0 - 0 Shamrock Rovers

Longford Town 2 - 0 Athlone Town

18 mins gone in the Rovers - Shams game and the Shams fans already in trouble with the Gardai:rolleyes:

gustavo
03/05/2008, 7:24 PM
any news on teams for the Rovers game , can't make it till 2nd half

Boo_Boy
03/05/2008, 7:28 PM
any news on teams for the Rovers game , can't make it till 2nd half

sorry, just heard the update on ocean, trying to get in touch with my mate who is at the game but he's not answering:mad:

He mentioned Faz, Anto, Butler & Raff in the update but thats all i know.

Boo_Boy
03/05/2008, 7:29 PM
Rovers 1 - 0 Shams

Cashie on 20 mins!

gustavo
03/05/2008, 7:31 PM
Lovely:D

Boo_Boy
03/05/2008, 7:34 PM
Ocean reporter says it was 30 yards out

EDIT:

Also said its the biggest crowd of the season:), always good to hear

Olander
03/05/2008, 7:42 PM
sligo two nil up on Rovers now

Jicked
03/05/2008, 7:43 PM
Sligo Rovers 0 - 0 Shamrock Rovers

Longford Town 2 - 0 Athlone Town

18 mins gone in the Rovers - Shams game and the Shams fans already in trouble with the Gardai:rolleyes:

Thats strange, I can't think of Rovers fans having been involved in any real trouble with the GardaĆ­ in a couple of seasons.

Boo_Boy
03/05/2008, 7:43 PM
Rovers 2 - 0 Shams!

:D

Almeida with another goal!

Jicked
03/05/2008, 7:46 PM
The whole Rovers/Shams thing is amazingly cringeworthy, and really makes the Sligo fans look very small time.

Boo_Boy
03/05/2008, 7:49 PM
The whole Rovers/Shams thing is amazingly cringeworthy, and really makes the Sligo fans look very small time.

:confused:

what?

superfrank
03/05/2008, 7:57 PM
It's pretty annoying alright, especially when Sligo fans are the only ones who use "Shams".

Jicked
03/05/2008, 7:58 PM
Re Boo Boy:
The way Sligo fans take every possible chance to refer to Shamrock Rovers as the Shams, and get in to numerous arguments about how they're apparently the only team who can be called Rovers.

Boo_Boy
03/05/2008, 8:05 PM
The way Sligo fans take every possible chance to refer to Shamrock Rovers as the Shams, and get in to numerous arguments about how they're apparently the only team who can be called Rovers.

I've always called them Shams, does it really make a difference?

Bohs fans call them ' The Scum ' but nobody has a problem with that:rolleyes:

Unless i can be banned for calling them Shams i'll continue to do it.

Jicked
03/05/2008, 8:08 PM
Crikey, Im hardly saying you should be banned for doing it, it just makes you look like a bit of a twit, and your support a bit small time, is all.

Buller
03/05/2008, 8:15 PM
Rovers 2 - 0 Shams!

:D

Almeida with another goal!

Something has seriously gone wrong this season...

Boo_Boy
03/05/2008, 8:16 PM
Please explain how it makes me look like a twit & my support a bit small time.

Its natural, i was brought up around people calling them Shams, and its natural for Sligo Rovers supporters to call their team Rovers, like every other team(Cork City fans call their team City etc.)

I honestly couldnt care what they were called.

mypost
03/05/2008, 8:23 PM
Its natural, i was brought up around people calling them Shams, and its natural for Sligo Rovers supporters to call their team Rovers, like every other team(Cork City fans call their team City etc.)

Cork fans call their team Cork, Derry call theirs Derry, Galway call theirs Galway, Bray call theirs Bray, but you don't call yours after your town's name. Not exactly very many NL teams in Sligo, is there?? :confused:

Jicked
03/05/2008, 8:23 PM
They're not called Shams, no-one apart from a few Sligo fans on here calls them Shams.
On here Sligo fans seem to take every opportunity to fit the word Shams in to any sentence possible, and seem to revel in making cringey statements along the lines of "Why do Bohs hate Rovers when we're on the other side of the country...I thought you hated Shams hahaha". It really seems to appear that one of Sligos big gripes is over the fact that the most succesful/one of the most famous clubs in the country are referred to Rovers, instead of Sligo.

....plus what mypost said above!

DaveyCakes
03/05/2008, 8:28 PM
Cork fans call their team Cork, Derry call theirs Derry, Galway call theirs Galway, Bray call theirs Bray, but you don't call yours after your town's name. Not exactly very many NL teams in Sligo, is there?? :confused:

Cork fans also call their team "City" as do Derry fans.

HarpoJoyce
03/05/2008, 8:35 PM
Sligo Rovers FC now 3-0 up.

Boo_Boy
03/05/2008, 8:36 PM
They're not called Shams, no-one apart from a few Sligo fans on here calls them Shams.
On here Sligo fans seem to take every opportunity to fit the word Shams in to any sentence possible, and seem to revel in making cringey statements along the lines of "Why do Bohs hate Rovers when we're on the other side of the country...I thought you hated Shams hahaha". It really seems to appear that one of Sligos big gripes is over the fact that the most succesful/one of the most famous clubs in the country are referred to Rovers, instead of Sligo.

I've never seen a Sligo Rovers fan say anything like that on here.(Can you direct me to a post please?)

Should i just refer to Shams as 'The Scum' from now on?, it would get very confusing for people if it was Rovers v Rovers

example: Rovers had a great chance there, but the keeper made a great save.

who am i talking about?, im not going to start call Rovers 'Sligo', so when im talking about both clubs its going to be Rovers - Shams, when a Shams fan is talking about how Rovers dominated them at the showgies (:p) it will be Rovers - Sligo.

damn i've got a pain in my head:D

Boo_Boy
03/05/2008, 8:36 PM
3 - 0 up Boco!

Boo_Boy
03/05/2008, 8:39 PM

where have you been?

And Sligo is a City;)

HarpoJoyce
03/05/2008, 8:42 PM
3-1 now

Sligo defence was distracted by what name to call their opponents.

Boo_Boy
03/05/2008, 8:43 PM
3 - 1

Doyle pulls one back for Shams

Boo_Boy
03/05/2008, 8:47 PM
3-1 now

Sligo defence was distracted by what name to call their opponents.

how long after you posted the score did it take you to come up with that and edit your post?:rolleyes:

HarpoJoyce
03/05/2008, 8:47 PM
Longford Town 3:0 Athlone Town FT
Hardy 1
Kelly 13
Davoren 90

HarpoJoyce
03/05/2008, 8:50 PM
how long after you posted the score did it take you to come up with that and edit your post?:rolleyes:

Quicker than you could say "Shhhhh......."

I have always known Sligo fans to describe the hoops as Shams. I don't have a problem with it.

Boo_Boy
03/05/2008, 8:54 PM
3 - 2

Shams also down to 10 men

EDIT:
Flynn sent off for hitting Alan Moore when he was warming up:D

FT: Rovers 3 - 2 Shams, Shams nearly equalised in the 4th minute of added time, ball cleared off the line.

paudie
03/05/2008, 9:19 PM

When talking to other Cork City fans I would always refer to them as City.

TBH everyone i know would use the term City almost always rather then Cork.

forza rovers
03/05/2008, 9:24 PM
Cork fans call their team Cork, Derry call theirs Derry, Galway call theirs Galway, Bray call theirs Bray, but you don't call yours after your town's name. Not exactly very many NL teams in Sligo, is there?? :confused:this is not the g.a.a and by the way we are a city:p

Aaron
03/05/2008, 9:31 PM
If someone said to me Rovers were 2-0 up, I would automatically think of Shamrock Rovers, not Sligo. Gets confusing when Sligo fans say Rovers

sligoman
03/05/2008, 9:46 PM
Cork fans call their team Cork, Derry call theirs Derry, Galway call theirs Galway, Bray call theirs BrayCork, Derry and Galway-No. Don't know about Bray
we are a city:pEh, no we're not:confused:.
Gets confusing when Sligo fans say RoversAwww...oh well:p.

dcfcsteve
03/05/2008, 9:50 PM
And Sligo is a City;)

Since when....? :confused:

P.S. Shams is the gayest team nickname ever.....

sligoman
03/05/2008, 9:54 PM
P.S. Shams is the gayest team nickname ever.....Makes it more fun to use it so:p

Jicked
03/05/2008, 10:14 PM
Makes it more fun to use it so:p

A great example of how it makes Sligo look small time.

sligoman
03/05/2008, 10:18 PM
A great example of how it makes Sligo look small time.Say what you like. Sligo = GAA team. We = Rovers. Shamrock Rovers = Shams. It doesn't bother me what the rest of the league calls them, nothing will change that.

EDIT: That 'makes it more fun to use it so' comment was a joke btw. dcfcsteve said it's gay, I didn't.

kdjaC
03/05/2008, 10:27 PM
I call them shams as it annoys them, they call us junkies. Tis a fair compromise.

kdjac

Fivesilver
03/05/2008, 10:30 PM
This whole childish (or as one genius devastatingly terms it, 'small-time') exchange started with some troll deciding to tell Sligo Rovers (clear enough?) supporters how they should refer to their own and other teams. This was followed by a very ill-informed post about what fans in other towns call their teams.
I grew up in Sligo. I refer to my team as Rovers, like the way most fans refer to their teams by the nickname rather than the location. Therefore, Shamrock Rovers were always going to be referred to as something else. To me, it doesn't matter whether every other person on the planet means the Dublin side when they say Rovers - I have a very pragmatic reason for calling them what I do. As to whether this sounds 'small-time', 'gay' or anything else, for god's sake grow up, lads.
I'd say what Sligo people call his team is fairly low down Pat Scully's list of worries tonight.

Rovers1
03/05/2008, 11:34 PM
who really gives a sht what you call your team.. we should just call our team by thier letters... We are SRFC......oh wait....:(

eelmonster
03/05/2008, 11:37 PM
we are a city

:confused:

Good result for Sligo.

Rovers1
03/05/2008, 11:45 PM
Sligo is not a city lads...

skitz3
03/05/2008, 11:45 PM
Rovers = Shamrock Rovers

Rovers1
03/05/2008, 11:51 PM
Rovers = Shamrock Rovers

for you..yes, but for the people of this town, every time we hear "Rovers"..we think Rovers of the Sligo variety.

when you hear "City" or "United"...do you think Manchester or "Derry/Cork/Galway/Waterford"?

RonnieB
03/05/2008, 11:56 PM
you can call a pig a pony but is still a pig.

A face
03/05/2008, 11:59 PM

Ahh no we dont !!

Cork City FC are called City in Cork, and anyone that refers to City as Cork is not from Cork. There is one journo that calls City Cork and he is castigated for it, and rightly so. There is only one club called City and its Cork City FC, all the others are called Derry, Galway, Kilkenny. Bray isn't really talked about but when it is normally about buckets and spades and tacky seaside 'resorts' and the club wouldn't feature much in conversation, even among locals there.

City is City, end of.

In Sligo, Shams are Shams, end of.

Boo_Boy
04/05/2008, 12:03 AM
end of.

exactly, can we lock this?, it was to discuss tonights football but that didnt happen.

deecay
04/05/2008, 12:05 AM
Some of ye lads need to get a life,complaining about what Sligo Rovers fans call another team that ye do not support:rolleyes:

In Sligo we are Rovers,and Shamrock Rovers are Shams