PDA

View Full Version : Ed Leahy Bemoaning Irish Football Forums

Block G Raptor
02/05/2008, 2:15 PM
Eircom League Focus on RTE.ie (http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/mns/features/eircomleague/)

about halfway down he starts giving out about Forums such as this one and the Lazy Journo's who quote them verbatim

MariborKev
02/05/2008, 2:37 PM
Personally I thought he was spot on.

The number of people who go "It's on the internet, it must be true" still continues to amaze me.

The level of abuse does get out of hand. I can point to one recent thread where a thread went into personal abuse of a former player from a number of posters. The player was at the next home game and approached the lad who runs the forum about it. He wasn't having a go, he was just mentioning he saw it.

My view is always don't post anything you wouldn't say to someone in person.

RonnieB
02/05/2008, 2:49 PM
Who the F*** is Ed Leahy?

Sheridan
02/05/2008, 2:51 PM
I agree that the vilification of individuals is sometimes excessive on this and other boards, bearing in mind that they're not Premiership multi-millionaires lording it in ivory towers.

But that article is a load of toss; I often wonder how know-nothing nobodies like this Ed Leahy feel themselves qualified to write in such terms about this league. And who gives a toss about his navigational mishaps or his opinions on forums? Waste of a column.

cheifo
02/05/2008, 2:51 PM
Personally I thought he was spot on.

The number of people who go "It's on the internet, it must be true" still continues to amaze me.

The level of abuse does get out of hand. I can point to one recent thread where a thread went into personal abuse of a former player from a number of posters. The player was at the next home game and approached the lad who runs the forum about it. He wasn't having a go, he was just mentioning he saw it.

Bloody voice of reason.;):p

RĂ©iteoir
02/05/2008, 2:53 PM
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=89427

jebus
02/05/2008, 2:57 PM

Don't know who you're talking about but like **** he was just mentioning it

pete
02/05/2008, 3:56 PM
"Journalists" lifting quotes from the interweb are the lowest form.

I don't pay/read a newspaper for anonymous posts from the web.

amjl
02/05/2008, 9:36 PM
But that article is a load of toss; I often wonder how know-nothing nobodies like this Ed Leahy feel themselves qualified to write in such terms about this league. And who gives a toss about his navigational mishaps or his opinions on forums? Waste of a column.

Load of $hite is right! Here I was looking for a football related story to read and all I got was crap about some ejit who cant read a map.

"It's a sorry state of sports journalism when stories are created based on nothing more than a bored office worker" - Straight from the horse's ....

superfrank
02/05/2008, 10:32 PM
I was also alerted to another club's forum with a thread titled 'Who the F*** is Ed Leahy?' but I'm sure that was only a once off.
Sorry, this just stood out for me. Is he so full of himself that he assumes everyone knows who he is?

I don't know much about him. I was aware he wrote pieces on the eircom league but not for which paper. Yet, he still assumes that his rep is big that everyone knows who he is.

CameramanConka
03/05/2008, 12:56 AM

Quite right Kev.

You couldn't lend me a tenner I suppose?

CameramanConka
03/05/2008, 1:06 AM
Jesus lads be fair. Ed was writing a blog about his experiences travelling from the big smoke to Ballybo. Believe me Ed is NOT full of himself, in fact like most of fans on here he has a genuine interest in the league. When at Finn Pk he told me that he always travelled to Ballybo as a supporter (of a club which shall remain nameless in the interest of neutrality!) on a bus, which is a lot different from going there in a professional capacity. Good article Ed.

Who the F**K is Ed Leahy? An ericom league fan and a bad driver :D

MariborKev
03/05/2008, 1:58 PM
Don't know who you're talking about but like **** he was just mentioning it

Ah, a case in point for the issues of the internet forum.

You know nothing about
1) The thread in question
2) The individual in question
3) The discussion which took place between the two parties.

But yet you still feel you can comment.

:rolleyes:

jebus
03/05/2008, 2:13 PM
Ah, a case in point for the issues of the internet forum.

You know nothing about
1) The thread in question
2) The individual in question
3) The discussion which took place between the two parties.

But yet you still feel you can comment.

:rolleyes:

Well why put it on a forum if you don't want people to comment on it? :rolleyes:

Anyway if someone walked up to you out of the blue and said 'I see your website has provided a forum for people to slag me off', wouldn't you take it as something other than this person 'just mentioning it'? I may not know about the incident in question but only a moron would think he was saying it in passing

Boh_So_Good
04/05/2008, 1:40 AM
"Journalists" lifting quotes from the interweb are the lowest form.

I don't pay/read a newspaper for anonymous posts from the web.

Before net forums and blogs journalist just printed press releases by anyone who sent them. The steorotype of the drunken lazy journalist is not far from the truth. And not just sports.

The Indo last year have a huge headline that went something like DUBLIN THE WORST CITY IN EUROPE ACCORDING TO TOURISTS FEEDBACK - turns out they took a single comment made on some website were 1 comment said that Dublin was the worst place they visited in Europe. They made it sound like Dublin was being rated by some organisation like Thomas Cook or Conde Nast as the worst city in Europe and all along it was just a website comment box written by a nobody on the net.

Ed Leahy is bang on IMHO.