PDA

View Full Version : Channel 4 FTA?

noby
02/05/2008, 8:03 AM
So, is Channel4, E4 and More4 going free-to-air after this weekend?
I have C4 tuned in but there's no sound yet.

Anyone know anything? Macy?

noby
06/05/2008, 11:06 AM
Answering my own question here, it appears that C4, E4, E4+1, More4 and More4+1 have gone FTA as of 10.30 this morning.

10729 V SR22000 FEC 5/6 are the settings, if anyone is interested.

Macy
06/05/2008, 11:24 AM
Thanks for the reminder. Today is the launch date for BBC/ITV FreeSat. Been holding off on a new reciever for this, as they'll have EPG and Red Button functionality and PVR with free recording (unlike Sky plus).

Really puts it up to the Governments Digital Terrestrial Service, if all BBC, ITV Channel 4 stations are Free To Air on Satellite (and with five strongly rumoured to be following).

SligoBrewer
06/05/2008, 2:06 PM
Thanks for the reminder. Today is the launch date for BBC/ITV FreeSat. Been holding off on a new reciever for this, as they'll have EPG and Red Button functionality and PVR with free recording (unlike Sky plus).

Really puts it up to the Governments Digital Terrestrial Service, if all BBC, ITV Channel 4 stations are Free To Air on Satellite (and with five strongly rumoured to be following).

Will i be able to recieve these with a Lidl Satellite Dish?

noby
06/05/2008, 2:09 PM
You mean Channel4 etc.? Yes. Plus BBC1,2,3,4,ITV1,2,3,4, which you probably have already.

Don't ask me how, as I never used the Lidl ones, but there'll either be an auto-scan option, or somewhere tp plug in the figures I quoted above.

SligoBrewer
06/05/2008, 2:14 PM
lovely stuff. thank you

noby
06/05/2008, 2:17 PM
Channel 5's contract with SKY is up next month, so rumours are that it'll go FTA too.

Macy
06/05/2008, 2:35 PM
Will i be able to recieve these with a Lidl Satellite Dish?

Yes, but there's talk of some of the content being blocked initially to get around rights issues, which I think it might already be on irish sky? With the actual freesat receiver i think they can get around this with software differences, but I wouldn't be that technical with it.

If five follows suit (and despite Sky's shareholding it surely must) it would mean Free to air, on any reciever you'd get...
BBC1,2,3,4 Cbeebies, CBBC, News 24, Parliament
ITV1,2,3,4 Men & Motors, and their kids channel
Channel 4, E4, More 4, Film 4
Channel 5, Five US, Five Life/ Fiver

Setanta Sports News is also on my Free To View card, haven't got around to checking whether it's Free To Air or just Free To View yet, but been there a couple of weeks at this stage. NME TV is also Free To Air, so one decent music channel as well. The basic sky package looks shocking value now imo.

Really means that Digital Terrestrial in Ireland will have to at least have the old school UK terrestrial channels, as noone will (or should) pay for them. Particularly as there are already combined Free To Air Satellite and Digital Terrestrial receivers on the market for the UK.