View Full Version : Connacht Senior Cup Final, 12th May

Patrick Dunne
30/04/2008, 9:21 AM
Galway United vs Mervue United
Venue : Mervue United FC
Monday 12th May

GuisaSaigon
30/04/2008, 9:37 AM
Good omen, United won their only FAI Cup on the 12th May 1991 :)

Patrick Dunne
08/05/2008, 11:08 PM
KO 6.45pm Monday evening

deecay
08/05/2008, 11:09 PM
Are we in the micky mouse tournement?

Patrick Dunne
08/05/2008, 11:14 PM
Mervue United, a junior club from Galway, travelled to the Showgrounds to play Sligo Rovers in the quarter-final.

Sligo were unable to field a team.

deecay
08/05/2008, 11:23 PM
Mervue United, a junior club from Galway, travelled to the Showgrounds to play Sligo Rovers in the quarter-final.

Sligo were unable to field a team.
Really?Stating the obvious there PD.You dont have to be so formal in every post you make.

That was months ago,taught this was long over

Patrick Dunne
08/05/2008, 11:45 PM
There was a break in the competition because of the EL off-season.

The Connacht Senior Cup was an important competition in the 1980s and early 1990s. It is good to see it up and running again.

There will be four Eircom League sides in the province next year. Including the four champions of the junior leagues in Connacht
would make an even amount of entries to allow for four quarter-finals.

Patrick Dunne
11/05/2008, 3:43 PM
The Connacht Senior Cup Final has been postponed due to a bereavement at Mervue United.

No date available for the re-fixture at the present time.

gilberto_eire
11/05/2008, 4:25 PM
Condolences

But i think it shows how much of a joke this cup is, that it can just be cancelled so easy. Never heard of a game been called off for the likes, unless it was a player!!.

The would usually acknowledge the person at the next game(i.e the Connacht Cup)

gordongekko
13/05/2008, 9:34 PM
Condolences

Never heard of a game been called off for the likes, unless it was a player!!.

The would usually acknowledge the person at the next game(i.e the Connacht Cup)

Thats a bit heart less. Do you trhink its fair to be at you mums/wife/daughter funeral and hearing a bunch of lads roaring and shouting at a ball. Maybe if the game was in Terryland it could have gone ahead but it could not go ahead in Mervue so near to the church.

Gaillimh Al
13/05/2008, 9:52 PM
Considering the young lads got the club to this final, I hope the ones that are still at the club will all be playing in this final.
Sinnott, Conneely, McBrien, J Keane, Fahy, Cunningham, Molloy and McDonagh. And then whoever else to fill the gaps. Think it would show that the club has faith in them and recognises their effort in getting to the Final.

gilberto_eire
14/05/2008, 12:40 AM
Thats a bit heart less. Do you trhink its fair to be at you mums/wife/daughter funeral and hearing a bunch of lads roaring and shouting at a ball. Maybe if the game was in Terryland it could have gone ahead but it could not go ahead in Mervue so near to the church.

I'm not been heartless at all actually, if it was a more important cup i could only have seen it been called off due to a player/manager/offical passing away, having said that i said i did'nt know what the story was of, who it was, only heard about it here.

And look back at my post it's not like i said it should have been played i was pointing out of how much of a joke this cup has been so far(also running over two seasons,), the general consensus is a game qwould be played and tribute to the deceased would be paid beofre the game(unless as previous stated it was a close member of the club)