PDA

View Full Version : Cup game

pineapple stu
26/07/2003, 3:08 PM
Not the best game of football ever seen in Belfield, but we got the goals when we needed them and kept Belgrove at bay handily enough. Should have gone behind when yer man missed from six yards - good save from PJ though - but other than that and one deflected free, they never really troubled us.

Still have an irritating tendency not to play the ball sooner than we do - having people in acres of space and yet still trying to go around one or two players.

Apparently the Cup draw is on Monday? Hopefully St. Mochta's or Cherry Orchard but I suppose we'll settle for any non-top 5 side at home.

One last thing from last night though was the ref - at one stage he gave us a throw only for Belgrove to go and take it and play to be let continue! And late in the game we were attacking down the right and a ball came on the left of the pitch - the ref blew his whistle to get the ball off the pitch and restarted with a hop ball!!! Didn't cost us or anything, but two of the stupidest decisions I've seen in a long while!

@ndy
26/07/2003, 4:22 PM
any chance of a match report? or even the result/scorers?

pineapple stu
26/07/2003, 8:13 PM
2-0 to us, Robbie Griffin scored twice.

Match report - basically we were very cagey - Belgrove should have scored when some lad had a free shot six yards out but Jennings managed to get it away. We were the better team but we kept on trying to do too much and Belgrove were dangerous on the break. 10 minutes to the break, Robbie Martin fed Robbie Griffin who ran on and slotted past the keeper. Belgrove dropped after that and we dominated the rest of the half - Cawley had a free well tipped over.

Second half - Belgrove came out attacking again and did well without threatening too much. 70 minutes and a corner wasn't cleared and Robbie Griffin thumped home unmarked from around six yards. Belgrove came close to an equaliser but Pat Jennings turned away a deflected free kick.

@ndy
28/07/2003, 1:09 PM
Sure tis grand. Two goals for Griffin, good stuff.

pineapple stu
28/07/2003, 4:29 PM
Highlights on TV3 tonight of course.

Schumi
29/07/2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
Highlights on TV3 tonight of course. Were they any good? I was drinking at the time. :D

@ndy
31/07/2003, 4:52 PM
Me too, but i don't have a tv anyway.