PDA

View Full Version : Table: Where we are and where we should be

HarpoJoyce
29/04/2008, 8:44 AM
I'm just wondering what should we be looking for to stay clear of the relegation zone. I don't think the bottom four will remain separate from mid-table. For a start at least Cobh if not Finn Harps are capable of bridging the gap to a couple of clubs in mid-table. We have to bridge that gap, especially if some clubs have stopped gaining points.

I also think that the third-last place will have a high points tally >38, because there will be a number of teams going at mid-table pace and grouped close together. I believe that a win before we play Galway Utd in Game 11 is a mid-table standard, Bohs are the likely target. But we have to turn around conceding three goals at home first. If we can't get a win then hitting them with two goals is a good substitute.

I liked Cobh's football alot last week, Bray are getting excellent results. We can't wait for the fixture list to favour us, we have to look to beat teams as they come to us.

Terms not used in the above post:
Need, Must win and Vital

Schumi
29/04/2008, 9:08 AM
Need, Must win and Vital6-pointer ;)

I think the opposite on points totals, I can see a really low total staying up this year, less than 30 points could even be enough. It's obviously not something to aim for but it could end up being enough.

Three points from the next 3 games would be OK I think. 9 points from the first series is far from great but it'd have us in touch after (what's hopefully just) a settling-in period in a new ground. A win against Bohs or Pats would be great, obviously, but it's very hard to see us getting one. Losing those two wouldn't be a big deal if we beat Galway afterwards. With our lack of goals at the moment, that could be a big if though.

pineapple stu
29/04/2008, 6:56 PM
I think the opposite on points totals, I can see a really low total staying up this year, less than 30 points could even be enough.
It's very over simplistic, but we're one quarter of the way through the season, and six points is good enough for ninth (and eleventh). That'd translate to 24 points at the end of the season.

Schumi
29/04/2008, 7:08 PM
It's very over simplistic, but we're one quarter of the way through the season, and six points is good enough for ninth (and eleventh). That'd translate to 24 points at the end of the season.I'd wait until we've played everyone to start making those calculations but the top three are hoovering up a lot points.

DmanDmythDledge
05/05/2008, 3:30 PM
From looking at the fixture list I don't think we have lost any points that we should have, although in reality that is different. Points earned against Rovers and Bohs were unexpected and looking at our results from on overall picture they should be considered two points gained, not four points lost. From our remaining games three points (against Galway obviously) has to be the target. I can see Cobh and Galway picking up points next week which would mean there will be a lot of pressure on tha game. A win would bring us to 10 points from our first series of games, which is decent enough.

We should be aiming for more than that, however, from our second series of games. We will have Bray, Harps and Cobh at home- all games we have to be aiming for three points from.

HarpoJoyce
12/05/2008, 3:43 PM
We're still out of the relegation spot which is always good. We need to start to sprinkle our unbeaten run with a few wins now. Our next three games should hold no fears Galway(H), Derry(A) and Bray (H). Start pushing for wins now. This is our time.

Sure there are big gaps in talent through the Division and it is starting to show. But Bray with a selection of talented players are well able to hold there own. The pre-season top-six bottom-six prediction has a hole in it.

And next weekend there is an opportunity (maybe one of the few times) for there to be a group of five teams at the bottom, well four plus one.

I like the fact we have picked up points over six different clubs at the moment. Just like to beat some teams around us too.

Essential or Early six-pointer (with a nod to Schumi)

HarpoJoyce
22/05/2008, 1:54 PM
Not agreat first 11 games. The positives are the better finish than start and the spread of games we took points from. I believe it's clear that for the middle eleven games we are going to be amongst the Bottom 4 + 1 (B4+1) unless we get some suprise results, I also believe if we can turn B4+1 into B5 we have a better chance of survival.

B4+1 middle fixtures.
24/05/2007 Cobh Rambs v Finn harps
26/27/06 Galway Utd v. Cobh
30/05/ UCD v Finn Harps
20/06 SRFC v. Galway
-
04/07 SRFC v. Cobh Ramblers
11/07 UCD v. SRFC
18/07 UCD v. Cobh
-
01/08 Finn Harps v. Galway Utd
08/08 Galway v. UCD
Shams V. Finn Harps

9 dates out of 11 mean there's a significant match almost every week. And with three home matches against the other four, this is our time and we need to be moving away from trouble by the Galway game.

Blanchflower
22/05/2008, 3:36 PM
We're still out of the relegation spot which is always good.

Are there not 3 spots this year?

HarpoJoyce
22/05/2008, 3:45 PM
Are there not 3 spots this year?

That's right, for the past few weeks UCD are 4th from bottom on goal difference with either Cobh Ramblers and now Finn Harps.

HarpoJoyce
31/05/2008, 4:29 AM
I'm happy again after the Finn Harps win. All the bottom four clubs have won recently, but only against another bottom four side. It will increase the points totals but I'm not sure what else.

One major concern for me that will last all season, is that UCD went through the whole Division, 11 games, without winning a match. That is a sizable chunk of the season without a win. We had some fine results in that time against Pat's, Bohs and Cobh especially, but the blank still remains.

UCD trive when they have short managable targets in front of them and are brutal at leading a group of teams. We need the motivation of teams around us winning and teams just ahead of usto overtake, this is the best way for us to acheive a higher points total ( which is neccessary 'cos teams around us are winning).

I have a question, is it a bottom 5 yet?

HarpoJoyce
20/07/2008, 1:20 AM
The team aren't in the best form at the moment and it's costing us dear against our nearest rivals.

I was hoping for something a little bbetter from the Shamrock Rvs. and Cobh games. Still at least the team recognise that the run-in has started and we can't afford to wait til our last few games.

This middle 11 games is supposed to be our golden time as the fixtures suit us better, it's not happening and I think we will have to do things the hard way again to survive.
I don't like our last few games of the season Bohs (H) Pats (A) and Galway (A). Whatever points total we have after Cobh Ramblers (A) in 11 league games time, that is just about it, we have some tough games after that.
I do like the little trio of matches cameo involving Cobh, SRFC and UCD or else I did while SRFC were still a reasonable target. We finished with the wooden spoon this time.

Bohs and Pats up next. I'll stretch and say we should be looking for 2 or 3 (yes I said three) points from those two games.

Colie
23/07/2008, 8:09 PM
Alright lads. Though I think we should have had a peno at 1-0 down against Rovers, the way things are going we'd probably have missed it. Last second against Cobh (who might prefer to play at senior league level) just strengthens my feelings that we're deffo going down. I's say we're probably money on but I can't find it on Paddypower.com or Betfair. It don't look good but sure we've fluked it before & who knows.

Schumi
24/07/2008, 9:23 AM
I think the same every time I see another awful performance but the fact is that Galway, Cobh and Harps are just as bad. The mood on the Harps forum in particular is pretty negative. There are four very poor teams in the division this year and that's the only reason that any of us have a chance of staying up.

Student Mullet
24/07/2008, 12:59 PM
I think the same every time I see another awful performance but the fact is that Galway, Cobh and Harps are just as bad. The mood on the Harps forum in particular is pretty negative. There are four very poor teams in the division this year and that's the only reason that any of us have a chance of staying up.You shouldn't have deleted that Galway message above, when I read it the irony brightened up my day

pineapple stu
24/07/2008, 4:17 PM
We're pretty sure it was ironic, yeah? Not just coincidental?

Echoes of that Futurama episode...

DmanDmythDledge
26/07/2008, 11:19 PM
I think the same every time I see another awful performance but the fact is that Galway, Cobh and Harps are just as bad. The mood on the Harps forum in particular is pretty negative. There are four very poor teams in the division this year and that's the only reason that any of us have a chance of staying up.
I think it will now be between ourselves and Cobh. Galway and Harps both lost their best CM and most important player. Galway have a good attacking threat though, which could make a difference in the 6 pointers, depending if their defence shows up or not that day.

HarpoJoyce
05/09/2008, 9:56 PM
It shows how organic the relegation table is with the different predictions on this thread. It's normal.

For me, just a critic of the different clubs we've completed.

Derry City
0pts Last game: Home Loss.
Not cool to lose to Derry three times. We are usual worth a win in the Brandywell once a season, sometimes more. Missed opportunity for any points.

Bray Wanderers
Great result when we had a terrific performance and beat them 2-0, hitting the crossbar twice in our first game. Saved a point with a last minute peno in the middle and lost our way after taking the lead in the last.
4 points. Last game: 0 points.
Four is about average against Bray. It's not a season to be average against Bray.

[B]Finn Harps[B]
Three home wins between each other. that should be normal with our Great rivals. We have used our Premier experience against Finn Harps in the past. For me, I have no problem them taking 6 points off us. they have one home game in hand.
3 points. Last game: 0 points. Normal