PDA

View Full Version : India

kingdom hoop
28/04/2008, 11:34 PM
I've no concrete plans to go but I'm planning on going travelling for 6-12 months sometime soon and am starting to mull over a few options, with India foremost in my mind at the moment.

Why India (off the top of my head): They speak English (mostly, don't they?!), don't know much about the culture/people, huge country so probably lots to see and do, decent weather, I like their cuisine, good looking women IMO, its not overrun with tourists/backpackers compared to elsewhere, and finally, Goa may just be my spiritual home so must check it out.

So I'm wondering if anyone's been, where they were, for how long, what they did/enjoyed/didn't enjoy, if friends have been - what did they think of it, and so on. All stories great and small are welcome. :)

jebus
28/04/2008, 11:42 PM
Brother went for 6 weeks and he thinks it's the greatest place on earth (and he's been to Cuba!!:eek:), that's about all the info I have

kingdom hoop
28/04/2008, 11:52 PM
Well that's the best report so far anyway. :D

Sounds very promising though. But I wonder what sort your brother is and if he's to be trusted. :p Can you remember any particular reasons why he gave it such a complimentary tag? Specifically, how is it better than Limerick or Kerry?

padjoe
29/04/2008, 5:51 AM

Sounds very promising though. But I wonder what sort your brother is and if he's to be trusted. :p Can you remember any particular reasons why he gave it such a complimentary tag? Specifically, how is it better than Limerick or Kerry?

Hey Kingdom, just on my travels myself and while i wasn't in india i bumped into a northern irish couple on the boat back from phi phi island in thailand and they hated india. they said it was just filthy with pigs and cows on the streets eating from rubbish bins etc and they were later the specials on the menu. the hostels were extremely dodgy. if you do go splash out for the week on good accommodation and eat mcdonalds. the people are the same where ever you go in the world.
They advise me and subsequently i'm advising you to bypass india and travel around cambodia and vietnam.

osarusan
29/04/2008, 6:57 AM
They advise me and subsequently i'm advising you to bypass india and travel around cambodia and vietnam.

An Irish friend of mine had exactly the same thing to say. India was overrated, Cambodia was amazing.

jebus
29/04/2008, 8:08 AM

I think he's got sexual preferences for Indian ladies :D

Ash
29/04/2008, 9:11 AM
So I'm wondering if anyone's been, where they were, for how long, what they
did/enjoyed/didn't enjoy, if friends have been - what did they think of it, and
so on. All stories great and small are welcome. :)

Havent been but I know a few people who have been in Bangalore for work.
The main thing they did not enjoy was the "Delhi belly"

From a travelling point of view I know 2 lads who have passed through ...
and had everything pass through them.

1 lad was on a bus to somewhere and got a bad stomach cramp. He asked
the driver to stop a few times as he really needed to go, but as it was a
"direct bus" he refused to stop. In the end, he had to hang his árse out the
window and let fly :eek:

ifk101
29/04/2008, 9:17 AM
In the end, he had to hang his árse out the
window and let fly

:D:D:D

paul_oshea
29/04/2008, 9:50 AM
Havent been but I know a few people who have been in Bangalore for work.
The main thing they did not enjoy was the "Delhi belly"

From a travelling point of view I know 2 lads who have passed through ...
and had everything pass through them.

1 lad was on a bus to somewhere and got a bad stomach cramp. He asked
the driver to stop a few times as he really needed to go, but as it was a
"direct bus" he resused to stop. In the end, he had to hang his árse out the
window and let fly :eek:

that has to be one of the worst possible situations in the world. seriouslly. the poor lad. His arse all sh1tty afterwards as well....

Personally, I'm put off going to places that ( are smelly :D ) carry a high risk of sickness - be it full on food posioning, dose of the sh1ts whatever - i mean at the end of the day you are suppossed to be giong somewhere/doing something you enjoy so why put yourself through something like the above needlessly?

On the aspect of women, indian birds definitely have something about them, so many hot ones, but can ye get near them, realistically i mean....

Ash
29/04/2008, 10:08 AM
The other lad had a similar trotts situation. He was visiting the Rat Temple
and got a pang ... eventually found a toilet and unleashed hell (in his own
words). Reached for the toilet paper and all that was there was an empty
holder. Ended up having to use his sock (which he disgarded after ...
he's not an animal! :D)

kingdom hoop
29/04/2008, 11:51 AM
Cheers for the replies boys, keep the sh1t coming. :o

The whole sanitary/filth/cows eating from rubbish bins aspect wouldn't bother me too much (yes it's disgusting but you can't let such issues upset you too much - like you could say the same about the maimed kids in Cambodia). I suppose the key thing for India is to have two packs of Immodium on you at all times! Or feic it, defecating out a bus window sounds like a hell of an experience. Not for any cyclists behind you mind. :eek:

An Irish friend of mine had exactly the same thing to say. India was overrated, Cambodia was amazing.

I didn't really realise India was highly rated? Can you recall anything in particular that he said - as in what he might have been expecting that didn't live up to its billing? Just general atmosphere/feeling off the place kind of thing?

paul_oshea
29/04/2008, 12:02 PM
ya to be honest ive never heard of it being rated either.

sounds like a business plan could be unfolding here :D

kingdom hoop
29/04/2008, 12:05 PM
sounds like a business plan could be unfolding here :D

Huh? :confused:

(apologies if what you mean is obvious!)

osarusan
29/04/2008, 12:12 PM
I didn't really realise India was highly rated? Can you recall anything in particular that he said - as in what he might have been expecting that didn't live up to its billing? Just general atmosphere/feeling off the place kind of thing?

Mainly just general atmosphere. I think he had(and maybe you have) an image of hiking along dusty roads in sunshine, wandering around old cities,carefree, talking pleasantly to the locals, eating great food, etc.

In reality for him, it was noisy, dirty, diarrhea-inducing, expensive, not so safe, and the Taj Mahal was nothing special (it was about the Taj Mahal he used the word 'overrated'). It probably didn't help that he went there straight after Cambodia, which he described, memorably, as "Ankoredible".

DIFChick
29/04/2008, 12:25 PM
Brilliant sh1t stories there Ash :D:D

I'll add to this thread: I also bumped into a couple from Northern Ireland on a beach in Koh Phangan. The girl had a bad case of the scutters in India and was squatting over a hole in the ground. She heard noises from the bottom of the "loo" and looked down only to find....a catfish eagerly waiting for her to make a deposit. She told me that the catfish was soon joined by other fellow catfish living in the toilet.

I love seafood but I'm never ever eating catfish EVER again after that story.

..but I'm sure India has lots more to offer than stomach bugs and horrendous toilet facilities :D

Block G Raptor
29/04/2008, 12:33 PM
Brilliant sh1t stories there Ash :D:D

I'll add to this thread: I also bumped into a couple from Northern Ireland on a beach in Koh Phangan. The girl had a bad case of the scutters in India and was squatting over a hole in the ground. She heard noises from the bottom of the "loo" and looked down only to find....a catfish eagerly waiting for her to make a deposit. She told me that the catfish was soon joined by other fellow catfish living in the toilet.

I love seafood but I'm never ever eating catfish EVER again after that story.

..but I'm sure India has lots more to offer than stomach bugs and horrendous toilet facilities :D

JeeeeeeeeeeeeSSSuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuus. thats pretty much put me off A: going to India EVER and B. seafood in general

Sligo Hornet
29/04/2008, 12:50 PM
I've been a couple of times to India ( both on business ).Went to New Delhi February 2006, and apart from all the begging,dirt and extreme poverty, it was great!

We stayed in Guargon ( about an hours drive outside Delhi) which is now a very wealthy and up and coming district with huge shopping malls opening ( one was six stories high and 1 mile long!! ) The roads,even in Guargon, have free-spirited approach to Rules and Regulations...basically any vehicle, any lane and any direction ( even on Dual carriageways)...we were returning from a restaurant late at night on a major dual carriageway and our driver slowed as he approached an array of brake lights as they curved around an obstruction...turned out to be a guy with a flock of sheep and no lights whatsoever:eek:

Last June I was travelling to a factory on the West coast, in Kandla, and flew initially to Mumbai, with a view to an overnight stay before taking the internal flight the following day.....unfortunately got stuck for FOUR DAYS due to torrential monsoon rain and severe flooding which closed most roads, railway stations and the airports, and over 100 people died that weekend from drowning,electrocution and snake bites!

Whist stuck I ventured from the Hotel (when safe ) and have to say Mumbai is a complete sh1t hole, with far worse poverty and filth than Delhi.Took a 50min taxi ride to an Irish Bar ( The Dubliner ) when feeling lonely, only to be told when I got there they do not sell Guinness!

I am due to go back in the Autumn.....oh yippee!:(

Mind you I still love a good indian!:D

kingdom hoop
29/04/2008, 1:01 PM
JeeeeeeeeeeeeSSSuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuus. thats pretty much put me off A: going to India EVER and B. seafood in general

Screw that, it's put me off ever sitting on the jacks again! Don't want no fishies biting my ass.

Mainly just general atmosphere. I think he had(and maybe you have) an image of hiking along dusty roads in sunshine, wandering around old cities,carefree, talking pleasantly to the locals, eating great food, etc.

Certainly no hope of me hiking anywhere. :D But seriously, that's the general gist of why I'd go. I could get over the dirt and diarrhoea (well used to both) but I'm surprised and disappointed to hear that it's expensive - I suppose the economy has come on a lot, and as you say that impression may be because your friend had come from Cambodia. On the "not so safe" point, do you know if he travelled alone?

he went there straight after Cambodia, which he described, memorably, as "Ankoredible".

Best portmanteau ever? :)

--------

Cheers for that Mr Watford. Moral seems to be to avoid Mumbai, but Delhi is good. Simple. Would you say it was pretty safe, all things considered?

paul_oshea
29/04/2008, 1:28 PM
Mind you I still love a good indian!:DI bet you do ;) Did you work for Deutsche Bank or something?! :D ;0
Screw that, it's put me off ever sitting on the jacks again! Don't want no fishies biting my ass.

Certainly no hope of me hiking anywhere.But seriously, that's the general gist of why I'd go. I could get over the dirt and diarrhoea (well used to both) but I'm surprised and disappointed to hear that it's expensive - I suppose the economy has come on a lot, and as you say that impression may be because your friend had come from Cambodia. On the "not so safe" point, do you know if he travelled alone?

Best portmanteau ever?

--------

Cheers for that Mr Watford. Moral seems to be to avoid Mumbai, but Delhi is good. Simple. Would you say it was pretty safe, all things considered?ah well its shame that you cant fully enjoy the fruits due to the lifestyle of indian people getting better :D only messin with ye.

According to this beauty, Mumbai is the only place you SHOULD visit:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d1/Shenaz_Culture_Shock.jpg

The one on the right obviouslly ;)

http://www.indian-magic.com/cgi-bin/gal.cgi?ce=shenaz