All your thoughts

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/mns/

mns@rte.ie

Red&White Rover
28/04/2008, 8:24 PM
Roddy Collins is a knob.

Sheridan
28/04/2008, 8:25 PM
With all the dozens of highlights (league wins, great goals, European games) they must have in their archive, why do they keep featuring clips which take the p1ss out of the league in the Raiders segment?

NeilMcD
28/04/2008, 8:27 PM
Love the Cardigan.

pineapple stu
28/04/2008, 8:41 PM
With all the dozens of highlights (league wins, great goals, European games) they must have in their archive, why do they keep featuring clips which take the p1ss out of the league in the Raiders segment?
Galway winning the Cup?
Fenlon scoring two frees?
One of the fastest hat-tricks of all time?
Pat's winning the league?

Sheridan
28/04/2008, 8:42 PM
Three of them so far have been bloopers clips. I'm sure you can work out the percentage for yourself.

A face
28/04/2008, 8:45 PM

That was the best own goal i have ever seen though :p

pineapple stu
28/04/2008, 8:52 PM
Three of them so far have been bloopers clips. I'm sure you can work out the percentage for yourself.
Worth it for that own goal though.

It's a bit of light-hearted fun. Isn't going to convince anyone to go or not go to a game.

Sam_Heggy
28/04/2008, 8:55 PM
Delighted they put it to Roddy again about the quality of the league and both the other guys on the panel turned on Roddy :D
Roddy is a godsh!te though, big time.

A face
28/04/2008, 9:01 PM
Delighted they put it to Roddy again about the quality of the league and both the other guys on the panel turned on Roddy :D
Roddy is a godsh!te though, big time.

I feicin' missed most of it because everyone decide to call to my house in that hour :(

What was Mike Bassett Roddy Collins saying this week, the clown

DmanDmythDledge
28/04/2008, 9:01 PM
I don't think Roddy Collins actually thinks that the standard of the league has not improved. We all know that he is an egocentric character. He is appearing on MNS to pander himself. I believe he is trying to copy the Dunphy style of analysing by making bombastic statements to draw attention to himself. I don't think people should get so worked up about what he has to say.

Seagull
28/04/2008, 9:08 PM
IHe is appearing on MNS to pander himself.

Pander: To act as a go-between or liaison in sexual intrigues; function as a procurer.
2. To cater to the lower tastes and desires of others or exploit their weaknesses

Mmmmmmmmmmm pander himself...

dfx-
28/04/2008, 9:08 PM
That was the best own goal i have ever seen though :p

Great way to go out of the cup :D Bet that wasn't in the clips shown to Reading...

sonofstan
28/04/2008, 9:13 PM
While we're in this pedantic mood, whoever was commentating on the Galway/ Bray match referred to Galway being 'fortuitous' in not conceding another goal at one point, obviously thinking it means the same thing as fortunate, only more so.

pineapple stu
28/04/2008, 9:14 PM
Great way to go out of the cup :D Bet that wasn't in the clips shown to Reading...
Was it Alan Bennet's sliding tackle from half way tonight? Missed it - assumed you were talking about the Harps goal. That was a cracker! :p

pól-dcfc
28/04/2008, 9:16 PM
While we're in this pedantic mood, whoever was commentating on the Galway/ Bray match referred to Galway being 'fortuitous' in not conceding another goal at one point, obviously thinking it means the same thing as forutunate, only more so.
That happens a huge amount. Read an amazing article recently that I can't seem to find, which went through all the things that have slipped into common parlance, but are actually just nonsense words or totally out of context.

superfrank
28/04/2008, 9:18 PM
I don't think Roddy Collins actually thinks that the standard of the league has not improved. We all know that he is an egocentric character. He is appearing on MNS to pander himself. I believe he is trying to copy the Dunphy style of analysing by making bombastic statements to draw attention to himself. I don't think people should get so worked up about what he has to say.
He's Mr. Bombastic!...semi-fantastic!

How'd the rest of that song go?

pineapple stu
28/04/2008, 9:21 PM
Turn that f*@%ing rubbish off?

sonofstan
28/04/2008, 9:32 PM
That happens a huge amount. Read an amazing article recently that I can't seem to find, which went through all the things that have slipped into common parlance, but are actually just nonsense words or totally out of context.

Totally OT, but on Drivetime or whatever its called these days, Paschal Sheehy said that the chemical factory on Little island was still cordoned off in case 'another accident might happen again'; surely another accident would have to happen first, before it could happen again, like.

kingdom hoop
28/04/2008, 9:38 PM
Yerra us Tralee lads have a frighteningly scary, fearsomely petrifying tendency to lob superfluous words into our sentences. Pascal's a good skin though in fairness.

A face
28/04/2008, 10:38 PM

I think they should have shown it in Reading, that was quality :p

You couldn't repeat it if you tried, he did well to get anything on it we the attacker giving him no space :p

Bottle of Tonic
28/04/2008, 10:55 PM

One that I'm always looking out for is "enormity". I once read some language expert say something like 'we must tackle the enormity of the use of the word enormity to mean enormous'. I thought, hmmmm, interesting, looked it up in the dictionary and discovered he was right. Now it does my head in especially as it is so over used by journalists and the media in the wrong context. Not in relation to football though. Everyone loves a bit of error-strewn football speak.

To keep on topic - I'm at home in Ireland visiting and I caught the last half of the programme tonight for the first time. I was fairly impressed and reckon a decent little programme like this, on at a great time, will woo a few more to the games over the course of the next season or two. BTW are rte planning on keeping it going long term or is this season a tester?

kingofkillteely
28/04/2008, 11:44 PM
Turn that f*@%ing rubbish off?

My sentiment exactly.

cudsy1
01/05/2008, 8:53 AM

on a similar note, i recently saw some entitled english toff lord on some bbc grammer show point out the idiocy of the phrase "a big ask" - its absolutly everywhere now, and everytime i hear or read it, i think of that toff's wonderfully jowel-ly face

sadloserkid
01/05/2008, 12:20 PM
First time I saw it, had class every Monday night until now. Thought it was average enough. Set looks alright, the Prunty story was interesting. And while I'm sure it's been discussed it here before that 60 second interview is one of the worst pieces of television I have ever seen. :eek:

A face
01/05/2008, 8:00 PM
Did anyone notice Roddy saying that the league hasn't improved, the fitness of players now means the game is played at a frenetic pace but then he said, el players or lower english division players need to play in divisions where the game is played at a high tempo. How can someone use that argument twice and not contradict themselves?

pól-dcfc
01/05/2008, 8:04 PM
Did anyone notice Roddy saying that the league hasn't improved, the fitness of players now means the game is played at a frenetic pace but then he said, el players or lower english division players need to play in divisions where the game is played at a high tempo. How can someone use that argument twice and not contradict themselves?

It's easy if you live in Roddy's fantasy land. Sure doesn't he always say he's never got a club relegated?

EDIT: 500th post. That fills me with a deep sadness.

CameramanConka
01/05/2008, 8:49 PM
He also states that he never lost at the Brandywell as a manager. Which is wrong.

Titan
02/05/2008, 10:31 AM
Roddy is a grade A Gowl. I cant listen to the p***s. I cant understand why RTE persist with him. As for his idle ramblings on Newstalk :confused:

Sinéad K
02/05/2008, 11:32 AM
Well we could start a campaign; instead of 'kick racism out of football' we could have a 'Kick Roddy out of Football'

Have to say though I enjoy MNS & even colleagues in work with no interest in football never mind the league are talking about it.