PDA

View Full Version : Two things about tonights game...

RedX
25/07/2003, 10:23 PM
George O Callaghan was absolutely superb and his flick and through ball for Flynny in the first half was world class.If Zindane did this they would be showing it over and over and over...

Secondly,i hope the recent rumours were not true because i never want to see Ollie Cahill in a City jersey again....i thought he was poor for the last couple of seasons with City but honestly i now seriously dislike the guy...

tiktok
25/07/2003, 11:36 PM
i wasn't at the match but based on the commentary i got from newstalk106 it seemed like Hoggy was the best city player on the night, was he injured when he came off, if not, surely CP O'Brien was a better option if Dolan was looking to change it.

i don't think we have to worry about Ollie coming back, he and shels seem quite happy together.

TheNorthsider
26/07/2003, 7:58 AM
personally thought doyler wasnt fully fit we only saw fleeting glimpses of him last nite,kevin murray isnt a midfielder o grady isnt good enough,bennet seems to be on a goalscoring mistake a game now,george seemed to be the only guy willing to try and play anything on the ground.please pat go out and get those players we need to be at the races:confused:

patsh
26/07/2003, 10:05 AM
1. Jason Byrne will never score two easier goals in his whole career.
2. Kevin Murray is not yet ready for this level of competition.
3. Why was Hoggie taken off and replaced with Carey, when we needed an attacker?
4. Where was Packer, Hedderman? Robbie is in the starting eleven one week, then not even on the bench. If Packer cannot even get on the bench, why sign him?
5. Williams will probably rarely if ever play as well again in a game.
6. John O'Flynn needs a rest or else someone up there with him all the time.
7. For the first half an hour of the second half, we played them off the pitch, and could easily have had 3 or 4 goals. There is a decent side to work with, but we need those 3 players NOW. It's no good talking about it anymore, we must act.
8. George O'Callaghan is probably the best player in the eL now. Sign him up on a long term contract today!. He was superb last night.

We lost by 2, it could have been a 3-2, 4-3 win. I was disappointed with the gate last night. I would have expected 1500 - 2000 more. My fear is that crowds will start to drop off now, just when we really need to increase the gates. Far too many people leaving early last night, and probably will not be back.

*************edit
Just thought, if we could sign Packer for a month, why not get Colin Healy on board while he is waiting for a club? HE would get match fit, WE would get better results (hopefully) and we can still be looking for suitable players.

TheNorthsider
26/07/2003, 11:02 AM
sorry to have to say it as a city supporter but steve williams is a first class keeper and has preformed consistantly well for shels and is probably one of the main reasons for them being where they are when city did get in at goal he was there so save shels ,he is doing this all the time last nite wasnt a once off.just giving credit where credit is due.Was more dissappointed last week when we lost to waterford who arent a great side the one consolation for me from last nite is that shels are a much better side alround than us we need new experienced blood and not be blooding inexperienced players.Felt sorry for kevin murray last nite as the game seemed to pass him by he has a little way to go b4 he will be a regular with city

SSS
26/07/2003, 5:14 PM
Originally posted by THENORTHSIDER
Felt sorry for kevin murray last nite as the game seemed to pass him by he has a little way to go b4 he will be a regular with city

He has a little to go before he is good enough to be a regular.
Dolan seems to think he is a regular at this stage.

Cityace
26/07/2003, 5:48 PM
Well i dont want to alarm ye but i saw ollie in douglas shopping centre the other day,with training in dublin, i can only think of one reason he would be down.........:(

TheNorthsider
26/07/2003, 5:59 PM
his gesture to those down in the corner and the shed wasnt one from a guy who could be coming back to cork.Shows what he thought of city supporters in that area:eek:

tiktok
26/07/2003, 8:52 PM
Originally posted by Cityace
Well i dont want to alarm ye but i saw ollie in douglas shopping centre the other day,with training in dublin, i can only think of one reason he would be down.........:(

clonakillty black pudding?????

not a hope he's coming back, why would he, he's getting his game with the league leaders, has euro football in a few weeks, is still in the cup......and the fans hate him.

tiktok
27/07/2003, 12:24 AM
O'Flynn has to get the ball to do something first. Flinging long balls up to him while he's wedged between two centre backs (on his own cause we leave him isolated) is useless.

you talk about Benno trying to dribble the ball out of defence, maybe he got sick of hoofing it and having it coming straight back while dolan had told the midfield to drop back and defend, it's up to conor or CT in that situation to get in front of him and give him an easy outlet from where city can build.

TheNorthsider
27/07/2003, 4:56 PM
bennet is nearly on a mistake a game now which has cost us in recent weeks,bennet in fairness has progressed massively over the last two seasons but im begining to cringe when he has the ball now,we dont have any major competition at centre so there is no major pressure for bennet to learn from his mistakes.He has effectively put us out of the cup on two occassions.We need more competition for places to keep the first team on ther toes

razor
28/07/2003, 9:00 AM
We showed no spirit, no heart and worst of all no ability.

Devine was to blame for the 1st goal and will be more critical of himself than any of us will be so lets leave it at that.
It could have been a lot worse at the end had he not made some very good saves.
Hoggie did well on Ollie and was again surprisingly subbed.
Dan did ok, Bennett was poor again, sloppy defending that cost us bigtime. Bring back Derek and give the lads some competition.
Billy after playing well last week had a poor enough game.

The midfield, what midfield ?
Georgie was again class and tried harder than all the rest put together.
O'Flynn didn't look the slightest bit interested.

Shels were not great, we were toilet.

We need to buy and buy now or we are going to be in trouble.

joe
28/07/2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by THENORTHSIDER
He has effectively put us out of the cup on two occassions.

that's a bit harsh don't you think. you could probably pick any player in the world and say 'he's cost us this, that or the other' if you wanted

liamon
28/07/2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by corkcityfan1
More and more i'm convincing myself that we are a one man team..and no i'm not on about JOF,i am on about george. Absolute class.

I wouldn't go so far as saying we are a one man team, but we do rely on George for creativity. He was excellent on Friday. Despite this, there were morons in the back corner of the shed by the grassy knoll actually complaining about him. "Can't cross his legs" was the shout after one corner GOC took in the second half. Don't know what the loud mouths in the main stand were like, but I thought these guys were idiots.

Good to see the bulk of the shed singing Goerge's praises. Lets keep it up and let him know he's appreciated.

Neil
28/07/2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by liamon
there were morons in the back corner of the shed by the grassy knoll actually complaining about him. "Can't cross his legs" was the shout after one corner
These fellas are serial moaners.
They had a few shouts against Dolan too ("You don't know what your doing") Some of the same fellas had it in for Morley, Coughlan, Cahill before he left etc. etc.
I recognised a few of the same fellas leaving the game against Pats in Richmond Pk last month with 10 minutes to go (ie. before Behan scored).

Gary
28/07/2003, 12:50 PM
Despite this, there were morons in the back corner of the shed by the grassy knoll actually complaining about him. "Can't cross his legs" was the shout after one corner GOC took in the second half.

Im sure you will find that all standing on the knoll are very very pro George, hence the banner.

Colm
28/07/2003, 1:53 PM
Despite this, there were morons in the back corner of the shed by the grassy knoll actually complaining about him. "Can't cross his legs" was the shout after one corner GOC took in the second half.

Yeah, I saw and heard them alright. They spent most of the first half criticising Kevin Doyle and, in the second half, started singing 'you don't know what you're doing' at Dolan.
As Neil said these are the same fellas who had it in for Morley etc., they were also some of Mountfield's biggest critics which is why their anti-Dolan stuff needs to be nipped in the bud quickly.

btw, just in case there is any confusion these fools were in the back of the shed and not on the Grassy Knoll. For the record, the lads on the Grassy Knoll are some of the most pro-George and pro-Dolan people you will find.

niamh
28/07/2003, 2:16 PM
Shels were clearly more up for the match, that was obvious but there were times when we took it to the champions. They are a good team and you need to play well to beat. If had played a lesser team we probably would have got some sort of excuse.

My point is Dolan still has a lot of the work to do, Friday's game proved. But the whole 90 minutes was not crap.

niamh
28/07/2003, 2:19 PM
And as for Bennett effectively putting us out of the Cup twice.... every player makes mistakes.
It wasn't intentional or anything.

Dodge
28/07/2003, 2:40 PM
Originally posted by niamh
Shels were clearly more up for the match, that was obvious but there were times when we took it to the champions.
they're not champions...

dalo
28/07/2003, 2:48 PM
to be honest i'd get over losing in the cup to shels if we had beaten waterford in the RSC. that defeat was a lot more damaging. anyway we have 4 or 5 games coming up, 4 of which are at home. we should be looking to get full points but given the hoof football of the last few weeks it will take something special to lift morale.

p.s- george played well against shels- shame he went for goal at the shed end when a simple ball to flynn would have done the trick. ah well!!!!!!!

also can someone tell ccfc if they want to someone to win the TV they will have to get roberto carlos. how far out from the peno box were those lads at half time?:D

patsh
28/07/2003, 5:16 PM
Originally posted by dalo
1. to be honest i'd get over losing in the cup to shels if we had beaten waterford in the RSC. that defeat was a lot more damaging. anyway we have 4 or 5 games coming up, 4 of which are at home. we should be looking to get full points but given the hoof football of the last few weeks it will take something special to lift morale.

2. p.s- george played well against shels- shame he went for goal at the shed end when a simple ball to flynn would have done the trick. ah well!!!!!!!

3. also can someone tell ccfc if they want to someone to win the TV they will have to get roberto carlos. how far out from the peno box were those lads at half time?:D
1. I reckon we will get at least 10 points from the home games.
2. George was excellent, and when he did give the ball to Flynnie, John was not on his game.
3. I think CCFC have nothing to do with it, isn't it RedFM?
It was won the first time they did it !

RedX
28/07/2003, 6:39 PM
The two guys that took part in the competition looked like they have never kicked a ball before.In fairness it is not that hard if someone can chip the ball in the air.A lot of lads could do this,all they need is a bit of luck too as taking part in front of the shed is harder than it looks....

joe
28/07/2003, 8:13 PM
Originally posted by RedX
A lot of lads could do this,all they need is a bit of luck too as taking part in front of the shed is harder than it looks....

RedX speaks from experience ;)

how many penalties did you score again that time RedX? :D

RedX
28/07/2003, 9:53 PM
ha ha ya fecker...dont want it to sound like i would hit the bar but i would give it a better effort.Its a good laugh though.I think i scored two out of three that day but it was a bit scary when i seen all the beady eyes coming from the shed.Could imagine how those two guys felt the other night because i think there was around 4,000 more there .But Joe you know i would have hit the bar no problem dont you...