PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Irelands away game in switzerland!!

Pages : [1] 2

Drummer
25/07/2003, 9:17 PM
This is for anybody that is travelling to the Ireland game against Switzerland in October. I am trying to tell as many Irish fans as possible so if you read it in differant forums its cause i want to let as many know as I can..
I have gone to a few ireland away games in the last 2 years and know that it can be costly going with travel agents, what I have discovered is that you can sometimes find much cheaper ways of getting there.
I was given qoutes to the swiss game for nearly double what I am actually going there for. I have managed to get myself most of my trip boked for €435. That includes 3 nights at a 5 star hotel, and returen flights from London to Basle (not worried about flights to London Heathrow as there will be an offer between dublin and there sometime between now and october).
Heres a tip. If you are booking any flight to any place ireland are playing, on the net, always look at how much it costs to get there from london cause you might find that its cheaper leaving from there!!!
Also, plan the trip as soon as possible, so to get the best rates. Out of interest I looked up Aer Lingus Flights to Lisbon for next years Euro Championships and they were only €200 return on certain dates. Note they will rise sharply getting closer to the draw (if ireland qualify).Portugal is a big country but Lisbon is near enough to the middle and would be a great base!!!
Anyway I went to the Swiss Airline website, swiss.com and booked flights for €178 return from london heathrow to Basle. Its a bit annoying cause they give you loads of options when you choose dates and they are all differant prices according to time of day etc. What I found was that the later you went there and the earlier you came home, the cheaper it was. At one stage I found flights for €150 return but I wouldnt of gotten into basle until 12am!!! The flighst I chose leave London on the 10th(friday) at 14:00 and leave basle on the monday 13th at 1pm. I am staying in a 5star hotel (or so it says), I think that i put the website where I got the cheap deal for €160 a night!!
If you are booking a package be careful that you read everything. One quote I got was excluding Vat and one didnt even include Tickets to the match!!! I manager to go to the world cup and see irelands games for close to €1000. I had a 6 stop round the world ticket but still managed to keep down the costs of the trip which some agents were charging a couple of thousand for!!!!
I have only posted this to be helpful not as a gimmic or anything like that.
I will check back if you have any questions and will try to help anybody thats interested in going to Ireland away matches as much as I can.....
If anybody is woundering why I am doing this, its cause i have spent so much poxy time looking up all this info and felt that it would be wasted if I kept it all to myself....
:ball:

Mayo_Bhoy
28/07/2003, 2:44 PM
Sound advice. Similarly I looked into the cheapest options and came up with a 6 nighter. Dublin to Amsterdam for 2 nights, overnight train to Basle, stay there after match, 2 nights in Strasbourg and return to Knock for all in cost €370, excl. accommodation in Basel which is proving tricky.

Neil
28/07/2003, 2:53 PM
I've booked
2 return Flights (Cork - London Stansted - Strasbourg) = €155
Hotel 2 nights in Basel = €105
Train from Strasbourg to Basel will be €30 return.
Ticket hopefull on the way = €21

€311 in total.

gspain
28/07/2003, 3:28 PM
hotels in Basle are booking up fast so book now.

BTW sensible advice - Travel Agents have been ripping off fans for years - margins are way above those on your standard package holidays.
Good deals out of Dublin if you go to Germany and use the train - friends got Ryanair to Frankfurt Hahn out of Kerry.

Drummer
28/07/2003, 4:04 PM
friends got Ryanair to Frankfurt Hahn out of Kerry
Thats a good idea.
Another Ryanair destination is Friedrichshafen. Its on the Germany/Switzerland border and is near enough to Basel. I was thinking of staying there for a few days and getting a train up on the day. That plane leaves from London stansted and it costs around €110...
I looked into several ways of getting to basle, but in the end, i would of only ended up saving pennies.
Of course there are much cheaper hotels the the one I am staying in, but I thought that €160 a night (for 2 people) in a 5star hotel was too good to pass up!!!:D
I found great difficulty trying to find a decent website for trains in europe. Eurostar and some other one were useless!!!
Doesnt really matter now, but anybody thinking of flying into Geneva be careful. Prices for travel in Switzerland on trains are expensive and you might well be better off flying into germany or france and getting trains there!!!
Heres a few websites that might help any of you!!

Hotels Europe (http://www.hotels-europe.com/switzerland/)
site Atlas (http://www.sitesatlas.com/Maps/Info/swi.htm)
Deals on hotels (http://www.travelnow.com/hotels/hotnetlist.jsp?cid=10429&city=Basel&stateProvince=&country=CH)
Basel (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g188049-Basel-Vacations.html)

Mayo_Bhoy
28/07/2003, 4:26 PM
Doesnt really matter now, but anybody thinking of flying into Geneva be careful. Prices for travel in Switzerland on trains are expensive
Yes, ithink i saw a fare of about €60/70

tiktok
28/07/2003, 6:34 PM
anyone traveling by train from southern germany in groups can take advantage of their rail deals.

Schönes-Wochende-Ticket (happy weekend ticket)
For up to 5 persons traveling together and for parents traveling with their children aged 18 and under on Saturdays or Sundays between 12 a.m. until 3 a.m. of the following day for only EUR 28, Valid on all local trains, 2nd class only.

i'm not sure if it's valid into switzerland, but it'll save a lot of cash if you break up the journey.

karl67
30/07/2003, 6:21 PM
Totally agree with you, we do exactly the same all the time.....We got return flights from london to zurich for 60 euro. not too bad!!! and got top notch hotels there too for about 170 euro a night....we're staying for 4 nights and its still working out over 400 euro cheaper than a 2 night package deal....
karl@thepeoplesflag.com
www.thepeoplesflag.com

Peadar
08/08/2003, 4:28 PM
Just priced flights on Ryanair.com

One-way Regular Price 1.50 EUR Thu, 09 Oct 03 Flight FR 204
08:25 Depart Dublin (DUB)
09:35 Arrive London Stansted (STN)

One-way Regular Price 1.50 EUR Mon, 13 Oct 03 Flight FR 281
18:15 Depart London Stansted (STN)
19:25 Arrive Dublin (DUB)
Total Cost of Flight (excluding handling fee (if applicable) 35.03 EUR

One-way Regular Price 2.99 GBP Thu, 09 Oct 03 Flight FR 756
11:45 Depart London Stansted (STN)
14:00 Arrive Frankfurt-Hahn (HHN)

One-way Regular Price 9.99 GBP Mon, 13 Oct 03 Flight FR 755
11:05 Depart Frankfurt-Hahn (HHN)
11:20 Arrive London Stansted (STN)
Total Cost of Flight (excluding handling fee (if applicable)) 34.34 GBP

oconghc2
04/09/2003, 4:17 PM
the basel tourism site (baeltourismus.ch) has a good list of hotels etc bnBs which are fairly reasonable, we've got 2 nights in a bnb bout 25 eur a night - on a tram line to stadium, 15 mins from town

it would be good to see everyone stayin in around basel, craic might be better, smaller place too, heard stories of ppl stayin in zurich etc - dunno bout that

all the same craic will be good, nil le deanamh anois ach ticeid a aimsiu - if anyone can help (russia game too)

Volltreffer
06/09/2003, 3:12 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
anyone traveling by train from southern germany in groups can take advantage of their rail deals.

Schönes-Wochende-Ticket (happy weekend ticket)
For up to 5 persons traveling together and for parents traveling with their children aged 18 and under on Saturdays or Sundays between 12 a.m. until 3 a.m. of the following day for only EUR 28, Valid on all local trains, 2nd class only.

i'm not sure if it's valid into switzerland, but it'll save a lot of cash if you break up the journey.

It is valid because the German railway station in Basel is still in Germany, Basel being right on the border.

For any information on Basel the FC Basel forum is an excellent place (www.fcbforum.ch).

And don't worry about your seats being in the "Swiss" sector, there will be no problems.

Greetings from Basel

lopez
08/09/2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Volltreffer

And don't worry about your seats being in the "Swiss" sector, there will be no problems.

Is that because you would have already qualified by beating Russia on wednesday?:D

Volltreffer
08/09/2003, 2:56 PM
Originally posted by lopez
Is that because you would have already qualified by beating Russia on wednesday?:D

Hopefully ... ;)

No matter what, Swiss national team supporters are not the violent kind, as are the Irish. (By the way the Irish are very popular here, so as much as I wish Switzerland to finish first I hope Ireland will qualify in the end.)

NeilMcD
08/09/2003, 5:09 PM
Does anybody know of good hotels in Basel. I am booked to fly to strasbourg on the friday and out on the monday. I have heard that they are quite expensive but I was wondering does anybody know of double or twin rooms for less than €100 per room per night. Maybe staying in Strasbourg is a better option.

Volltreffer
08/09/2003, 6:27 PM
The least expensive will be:
http://www.baselbackpack.ch/ (near the Swiss railway station)
http://www.youthhostel.ch/e/frames/home.cfm?ID=4 (beautifully situated on the Rhine)

Other possibilities:
http://www.etaphotel.com/etaphotel/fichehotel/gb/etp/5250/fiche_hotel.shtml (Pratteln is directly linked by tram to Basel and the football stadium)
http://www.hotelformule1.com/formule1/fichehotel/gb/for/2326/fiche_hotel.shtml (St. Louis is right on the other side of the Swiss-French border, the tram takes you from the border to the Basel city centre)

For a comprehensive list of hotels in and around Basel look here:
http://www.mybasel.ch/freizeit_gastronomie_hotels.cfm

I hope this helps.

Junior
09/09/2003, 9:03 AM
Originally posted by Volltreffer
The least expensive will be:

http://www.youthhostel.ch/e/frames/home.cfm?ID=4 (beautifully situated on the Rhine)

Theres about 12 of us booked in here on the Saturday night!

Volltreffer
09/09/2003, 1:15 PM
Good choice.

Neil
09/09/2003, 7:07 PM
Originally posted by NeilMcD
I am booked to fly to strasbourg on the friday and out on the monday.
Are you flying with RyanAir?
They've stopped doing Strasbourg.

NeilMcD
10/09/2003, 2:18 PM
yeah i know it has been changed to baden but i have the thomas cook train timetable which is brilliant if you are ever travelling by train in Europe and the trains are very regular from Baden Baden to Strasbourg and to Basel. It is only 30 mins by train from Baden Baden to Strasbourg and about 1 hour 10 mins to Basel. Is there anybody staying in strasbourg?

neil

Neil
10/09/2003, 7:01 PM
We're staying in Basel.
Is there a train from baden Baden to Basle? Direct?
It seems to say on bahn.de that there is?

Volltreffer
10/09/2003, 7:16 PM
There are direct trains to Basel. Here you find all the trains leaving from Baden-Baden:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/bhftafel.exe/dn?seqnr=3&ident=4a.0783151.1063217419&evaId=8000774&boardType=dep&time=00:00&productsDefault=1111101000000000&start=yes

Ozymandias
15/09/2003, 2:11 PM
I am travelling Cork to Paris return..leaving the 9th and rturning the 12th.

Getting train from paris to basel (tgv) 5 hrs 67€ return.

I am staying in liestal just outside basel...7 mins by train and trains run every ten mins and until 2 in the morning.HYalf the price of Basel accomodation if ya book through cybercity guides basel.

whole package is costing incl accomodation €420.

c yez all there.

n e one know where the u21 match is on.

the basel stadium looks pretty kewl with shopping centre bars and restaurants

konichiwa
15/09/2003, 3:01 PM
5 of us are staying here

Jugendherberge Basel
CH-4052 Basel

Phone: +41 61 272 05 72
Fax: +41 61 272 08 33
E-mail: basel@youthhostel.ch
Homepage: http://www.youthhostel.ch/e/frames/home.cfm?ID=4

It's costing 35 swiss francs per night which is pretty cheap!

Junior
15/09/2003, 3:11 PM
Originally posted by konichiwa
5 of us are staying here

Jugendherberge Basel
CH-4052 Basel

Phone: +41 61 272 05 72
Fax: +41 61 272 08 33
E-mail: basel@youthhostel.ch
Homepage: http://www.youthhostel.ch/e/frames/home.cfm?ID=4

It's costing 35 swiss francs per night which is pretty cheap!

well thats 17 of us there based on 2 posts from this board alone, It's gonna be full of Irish!!!

Volltreffer
15/09/2003, 3:26 PM
Originally posted by Ozymandias
n e one know where the u21 match is on.

Neuchâtel (Stade de la Maladière)

konichiwa
15/09/2003, 3:35 PM
Anyone staying in Zurich on the Friday night??

A group of 5 of us are staying at:

ZicZac Rock-Hotel
Marktgasse 17
Zurich
Switzerland
tel: +41/1 261 21 81
rockhotel@ziczac.ch

Ozymandias
15/09/2003, 4:13 PM
Thanks Volltreffer..must head down to that game

MariborKev
15/09/2003, 5:51 PM
Aye

We are staying in the Marriott in Zurich on Friday

Volltreffer
15/09/2003, 6:02 PM
Liverpool fans coming to Basel for the CL match FC Basel - Liverpool FC were attacked in Zurich by Swiss and German hooligans who made the trip there because they knew that it would be less risky to cause trouble in Zurich than in Basel (due to the police presence in Basel). One Liverpool fan suffered serious injuries.

I don't know whether Zurich will be better prepared this time and whether this will repeat itself. There's no reason to panic, but anyway, keep your eyes open. It happened at Zurich railway station, since they knew that the Liverpool fans flying to Zurich would take the train to Basel.

gspain
16/09/2003, 8:04 AM
Hi Volltreffer, I'm travelling by train from Basle to Neuchatel for the U21 game - any idea how far the stadium is from the station and best way to go. I will be tight on time and I fly into Frankfurt on Friday morning. 6pm kickoff has messed me up. :D

Paulie
16/09/2003, 2:16 PM
The place we are staying in is the Hotel Du Commerce in Basel city centre. It's a three star hotel which, at the time we booked it, came to about €75 euros each a night. It might be more now that they've realised how many of us are going over (any estimates?) but there's no harm in checking it out. I'm not sure of their website address but I'm sure that if you type in the hotel name you'll find it easily enough.

By the way I'd like to say to Volltreffer that if all the Swiss fans are as sound and helpful as he is that it's going to be some weekend.

Volltreffer
16/09/2003, 6:09 PM
Originally posted by gspain
Hi Volltreffer, I'm travelling by train from Basle to Neuchatel for the U21 game - any idea how far the stadium is from the station and best way to go. I will be tight on time and I fly into Frankfurt on Friday morning. 6pm kickoff has messed me up. :D

I haven't been there, but I know the forum of Neuchâtel Xamax football club, I'm sure they will help you:

http://forum.aceboard.net/?login=4567

Volltreffer
16/09/2003, 6:32 PM
Originally posted by Paulie
By the way I'd like to say to Volltreffer that if all the Swiss fans are as sound and helpful as HE is ...
:eek: SHE would be more appropriate. :D

It will always be a pleasure to help someone from Ireland. Many many many years ago I spent 6 months in ... hmmm ... can I say Ireland? In a way yes, in a way no ... I'll just call it Belfast. I've always been treated well on your beautiful island, so I try to do the same.

Paulie
17/09/2003, 11:15 AM
Humblest apologies Ms Volltreffer.

Volltreffer
17/09/2003, 12:51 PM
Gracefully accepted. :D

wws
17/09/2003, 3:08 PM
a group of us are staying in Mulhouse. Do you know how far it is from basel?
how long is the train/bus between both?
prices?
heard they're closeish

Volltreffer
17/09/2003, 4:16 PM
Originally posted by wws
a group of us are staying in Mulhouse. Do you know how far it is from basel?
how long is the train/bus between both?
prices?

The train takes you to Basel (Bâle in French) in 25 to 35 minutes.

If you travel on Saturday or Sunday, they have a special offer:

"Pass Evasion pour une personne: Ce forfait individuel permet de circuler toute la journée pour 7,5 € à l'intérieur de chaque département (Bas Rhin ou Haut Rhin).
Pass Evasion pour 2 à 5 personnes: Grâce à ce forfait, un groupe de 2 à 5 personnes peut voyager toute la journée pour 15 € à l'intérieur de chaque département (Bas Rhin ou Haut Rhin)."

This means that one person can travel one day for 7,5 € or a group of 2-5 people for 15 € in the department Bas Rhin or Haut Rhin (in this case Haut Rhin) as far as Basel.

Otherwise you get a 25% reduction if you are under 26. There are also reductions for groups.

Here are two contacts in Mulhouse:
christine.ferrenz@sncf.fr
guy.kraus@sncf.fr

wws
17/09/2003, 4:28 PM
thanks for the info

any opinions on mulhouse?>

Volltreffer
17/09/2003, 4:58 PM
Originally posted by wws
any opinions on mulhouse?>

I haven't seen much of it, all I know is that they are said to have a beautiful zoo ...

But maybe this will give you an impression:

http://www.ville-mulhouse.fr/en/index.php

MariborKev
18/09/2003, 2:53 PM
For anyone staying in Zurich

Europe's biggest pumpkin championship is on that weekend

wws
18/09/2003, 4:22 PM
Originally posted by Maribor
For anyone staying in Zurich

Europe's biggest pumpkin championship is on that weekend

well d'uuuuh

i thought thats were we were all heading for anyhoo!

blueanto40
18/09/2003, 6:20 PM
we are a group of 4 staying in mulhouse. last train back to mulhouse after the match is 12.50 am how many others staying in mulhouse

Soko
18/09/2003, 10:57 PM
Are trains actually that expensive in Switzerland? Only booked today flights from Cork-Manchester-Geneva as were staying in Lausanne.

On the bright side I might have up to 3 extra tickets depending on whos going in the next few days. If I do I I'll be able to sort you out Neil.

Volltreffer
20/09/2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Soko
Are trains actually that expensive in Switzerland? Only booked today flights from Cork-Manchester-Geneva as were staying in Lausanne.
Trains are expensive in Switzerland, however I've found something interesting for you, it's called Click&Rail. There you can order cheap tickets over the internet two days beforehand for less frequently used trains. The ticket is personal and you can't change once you've bought your ticket. Read the FAQ VERY CAREFULLY. Here's the link:

https://www.sbb.ch/myticket/index.jsp?ID=myTicketCR1.jsp&language=en

The easiest and cheapest thing would be to travel directly from Geneva (2 times CHF 24.00).

@gspain: Basel-Neuchâtel is also on the list.

Osullima
30/09/2003, 11:31 AM
Got cheap ryanair tickets over to Strasburg and were going to make the trip from there on the day. Anyone else staying in Strasburg? There's about 25 of us!!

Osullima
30/09/2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by NeilMcD
yeah i know it has been changed to baden but i have the thomas cook train timetable which is brilliant if you are ever travelling by train in Europe and the trains are very regular from Baden Baden to Strasbourg and to Basel. It is only 30 mins by train from Baden Baden to Strasbourg and about 1 hour 10 mins to Basel. Is there anybody staying in strasbourg?

neil

Were making the same trip as yourself. The Strasburg think with Ryanair fu*ked it up a bit but it's not too bad(en). Where in Strasburg are you staying?

NeilMcD
07/10/2003, 11:30 AM
we are staying in the HOtel Victoria which is just beside the station handy to fall into when we come back from match etc. Its €50 for a double room which is grand as there is four of us so €25 each. arriving in strasbourg on friday morning early so bit of a sleep and then out on the tear.

Osullima
07/10/2003, 12:41 PM
Were staying in the Holiday Inn city centre. arriving late on thursday thanks to baden baden!! Hotel cost €40 each sharing which ain't too bad. have you got sorted with tickets yet?

NeilMcD
07/10/2003, 12:44 PM
yeah got we all got a tickets a nice swiss girl that we know managed to get us tickets for sector C6 so hopefully they will let us in but i dont see any problems. Its all talk that they wont let people in.

Osullima
07/10/2003, 2:23 PM
We have tickets for all over the place, mainly B2 but we also have a couple for C6 row 14. you just don't wanna wear any colours going in to be safe. Strasbourg looks pretty good for the nightlife. What do you think?