PDA

View Full Version : Cork City -v- Shelbourne

tiktok
25/07/2003, 6:53 PM
The game is being carried live on www.newstalk106.ie for those who can't make it to the cross. According to Commentary there are 5,500-6,000 at the game.

City:

Devine
Hoggy D Murray Bennett Woods
Doyle CT O'Brien O'Grady K Murray
O'Callaghan O'Flynn

(Hedderman has not even made the bench, is he injured?)

Shels:

Williams
Crawley Doherty Rogers Heary
Morgan S Byrne Crawford Cahill
McCarthy J Byrne

Ref:

John Mc Dermott

tiktok
25/07/2003, 6:58 PM
City 0-1 Shelbourne

jason byrne after three minutes, pouncing after devine could only parry a ger mccarthy cross/shot.

tiktok
25/07/2003, 7:55 PM
1-0 down at half time.

Shels on top but City finished strong. City mainly trying long balls, causing Shels centre backs Doherty and Rogers no problems.

Shels chances came with Devine turning a volley from an unmarked Byrne past the top corner and a Hoggie clearance off the line after a corner.

City had two early half chances, O'Callaghan chipping over and O'Flynn tesing the keeper. Later a one-two between the strikers led to George forcing a fingertip save from Williams. 41 minutes in City had a penalty claim denied, O'Grady seemed to be brought as he latched onto a Williams parry from an O'Flynn effort.

Other Half time scores:
UCD 1(Griffin) - Belgrove 0
Pat's 1 (Maguire) - Rovers 1 (T.Grant)

Bray 2 - 3 Athlone (latest)

dunner74
25/07/2003, 8:09 PM
COME ON SHELS!!!!!!!!

Fair Play Tik Tok, I am stuck in Toronto, and dont have sound on this piece of ****e, pc that they have me working on. thanks for keeping me up to date.

tiktok
25/07/2003, 8:21 PM
Cork City 0 - 2 Shelbourne

Jason Byrne grabs his second as he latches onto a poor Alan Bennett pass back and slides it past the advancing Devine.

against the run of play by the sounds of it, Steve Williams has pulled off three excellent saves since half time, two from Bennett and one from an O'Flynn effort.

tiktok
25/07/2003, 8:52 PM
0-2 Full time. we made it as far as Everton.

could have been more in the end as city shoved on, Devine saving from Cahill, Geoghan (on for McCarthy) and Baker (on for S.Byrne).

on the whole, Shels seemed to deserve it, mainly because of a lack of ideas on the part of city. we're still bemoaning the lack of a creative player in midfield that can put a foot on the ball instead of watching it fly overhead. it was billed on eleven-a-side.com as a battle between O'Flynn and Jason Byrne, but the former got little to no service and the long balls gave him little chance against Rogers and the excellent Doherty. while the creative play of shels gave byrne chances he could work with.

Steve Williams was named man of the match.

strangely, Hoggie, who seemed to be one of city's better players on the night was subbed for Carey, with CP O'Brien only getting his chance five minutes from the end.

Is that the season over now????

Other full times

UCD 2 (Griffin 2) - Belgrove 0
Pats 3 (Maguire, Bird, D.Byrne) - 2 Rovers (T.Grant, Molloy)
Bray 2-3 Athlone

thecorner
25/07/2003, 9:03 PM
queenstown still in cup and we r gone:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
gone out of the cup, dont think we will claw back shels in the league
reckon we r safe from relegation
my point:
dolan has time now to get things right for season 2004
let him chop and change and make mistakes
he has a lot of time now to get things right so lets hope that he does

Real ale Madrid
25/07/2003, 9:06 PM
:(

that was a harsh dose of reality.

fonzi
25/07/2003, 9:10 PM
well at least people wont be having dellusions of grandure about how well do this season.

thecorner
25/07/2003, 9:12 PM
Originally posted by Real ale Madrid

that was a harsh dose of reality.

so u also agree

tiktok
25/07/2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by fonzi
well at least people wont be having dellusions of grandure about how well do this season.

let's find someone to blame and we can suspend disbelief a little longer. ;) :rolleyes:

it's probably a bit early to write off the season, but the changes need to come fairly soon.

thecorner
26/07/2003, 2:22 AM
Originally posted by tiktok
but the changes need to come fairly soon.

they dont have to come too soon. we will win nothing this season so we have until next feb/march to build and introduce players gradually.
dolam has his time so lets hope he makes the most of it and we can look forward to some silverware next year

tiktok
26/07/2003, 2:46 AM
i don't disagree with you but europe should still be a realistic ambition for us this season. in the last three games, we're out of both cups, lost to waterford, scored 1 and conceeded 5. we're still completely reliant on Flynn up front yet isolate him with the long ball game.

Shels aren't great, but will be up there at the end, as will Bohs. we'll be scrambling for the intertoto spot with pat's (2 pts from 2 games), rovers (who look good this year) and maybe waterford (1 pt from 2 games) and probably hoping that shels, bohs or Pat's win the cup so fourth goes through.

i'm not saying we need wholesale changes, but a solid midfielder that can take the ball down and pass it well is essential, ASAP.

Real ale Madrid
26/07/2003, 6:50 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
so u also agree

Not really we have got to finish 3rd in the league to get some european football.

The problems in the team are obvious i.e no midfield, so we need players. I mean who is he going to chop and change with?

Cityace
27/07/2003, 6:45 PM
Whats with the no interest in Colin Healy, or is there some background info i havent heard??

Gary
27/07/2003, 7:48 PM
Originally posted by Cityace
Whats with the no interest in Colin Healy, or is there some background info i havent heard??

For one thing, there is no way we could afford him. It would be nice, but in fairness, its not going to be even a consideration.

As for the gme itself? Well, to be blunt, Shels didnt even break a sweat. Our "midfield" was a joke. Hoggie substitution??? Sure everyone has said it already, so im not going to say it again.

Season is a long way from over. 7 points aint that much, and Dolan has been in the job 4 months. Lets be a bit more realistic. Top 3 would be fantastic.

Cityace
27/07/2003, 7:52 PM
what price is he?as he has no club it wouldn't be anything except wages and a signing on fee.

Slash/ED
27/07/2003, 10:04 PM
Rumour has it there's no speculation around Healy as he has agreed in principle to join Sunderland, but they have to sell before they can afford his wages.

Colm
27/07/2003, 10:13 PM
Lads, let's be realistic for a moment and stop talking about Colin Healy coming to us. whether it would be for a day, a month or the rest of his career it aint gonna happen.

tiktok
28/07/2003, 2:43 AM
Cardiff have approached him with an offer apparently, it's on www.eleven-a-side.com. There must be some reasons why clubs aren't expressing interest, he's an international (regular at this stage) who's out of contract. I doubt his wage demands are huge, so god only knows why clubs don't seem interested.