PDA

View Full Version : Text Alerts

Paraic
25/04/2008, 9:34 PM
folks

apologies, we've been having technical difficulties with the text alerts this week and had hoped they would be sorted by tonight, but unfortunately, it didn't happen. Still, the result was the right one, so hopefully, we'll be cut some slack :)

Paraic

sligofan4ever
25/04/2008, 9:35 PM
No worries Paraic, whenever the text alert unfortunalty has a problem we always got live streaimg on RTE Radio and aertel text :D

prodsc
25/04/2008, 10:18 PM
was going crazy as was supposed to get to game but didnt happen.. no access to text til half time... holding out for the draw was my guess?

redobit
30/04/2008, 8:26 AM
During the minute silence before the Derry game there recently, all the rovers text alerts came in during the minute silence, the rovers section was just bleeping one after another, kinda weird

deecay
30/04/2008, 12:33 PM
During the minute silence before the Derry game there recently, all the rovers text alerts came in during the minute silence, the rovers section was just bleeping one after another, kinda weird
Ya,that was well timed

forza rovers
01/05/2008, 4:22 PM
are the txt alerts still down?

sligofan4ever
02/05/2008, 12:15 PM
I onlysigned up to this recently how often would we be getting text alerts ?

gustavo
02/05/2008, 12:16 PM
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=84975&highlight=text+alerts

Paraic
07/05/2008, 9:12 AM
Folks

Just to let you know that we have to restrict the number of text alerts to about three per week. This is because the contract in place nationally between the FAI and webtext (the provider) is based on text numbers and the service, as you can imagine, has proven extremely popular both in Sligo and elsewhere.

The service will now consist of one text on a Monday re Monday night soccer, one text with team news and one with the full time result on match night. In weeks that we have more than one game, we'll probably have to drop the team news text.

Sorry about that, but we have only recently been advised of these restrictions.

On the bright side, it's still something for nothing, which is rare in this old world of ours.

Battery Rover
07/05/2008, 12:13 PM
I run our text updates and we have never been advised of that rule. When did this happen?

dublinred
07/05/2008, 12:59 PM
I run our text updates and we have never been advised of that rule. When did this happen?

You don't score as many goals as us these days so probably not applicable to you :)

Pity it is being restricted as it is a great service for those of us who can't make it to all the games.

stann
08/05/2008, 12:53 PM

It's not a rule as such, more a cost-cutting measure by the FAI. This came up with us last week before the Monaghan game. We were told we were being cut to a virtually useless 2 per week, but one of our lads complained to head office and it was 'upped' to an almost-as-useless 4. That's a midweek team news, pre-match team line-up, half-time and full-time and we're out until the following Friday. The whole idea of a live goal alert service is now gone.
I think it's down to the costs, which are based on the number of people signed up to the service. We were told each text cost them 17€ plus VAT and we have 450-odd subscribers, maybe more now. This doesn't seem like much in FAI petty cash terms, especially as it is only for this season. It's a real shame as this short-sightedness will probably kill the idea stone dead before it gets off the ground.
I see on the Bray forum they're having similar problems. Wonder how many other clubs?

Rovers1
08/05/2008, 1:30 PM
sorry P

i dont like the FAI ;)

dublinred
12/05/2008, 4:45 PM
I think it's down to the costs, which are based on the number of people signed up to the service. We were told each text cost them 17€ plus VAT

17c seems expensive , aren't the FAI sposnored by a telecoms company:confused:

celticV3
12/05/2008, 10:14 PM
€0.17 per txt is bullsh**e. every individual who owns a mobile phone can send upwards of 300 free web texts each month as they are easy and cheap the mobile companies can easily give them away. there is no way that these generalised txt systems are more expensive than a txt from a mobile. sounds like the FAI trying to cut very small costs again

stann
13/05/2008, 7:25 AM
Lads, can I suggest you read the post before going off on one.
€17, not 17c. Euros, not cents!!
And that is the cost to the FAI to send out each mass text to 450 people, not a price per individual text. As in, it costs the FAI €17 + VAT when WUFC send one text to 450 people. Another €17 + VAT for the next one. And so on. It will be less to less recipients, more to send to more. Pretty obvious from the post I would have thought. :D
(If you want to break it down, the individual price in this situation works out at about 4.5 cents per text, that's what webtext are charging the FAI)

It's still short-sighted on the FAI's part though, and Webtext for that matter, as it would have only been until the end of the season. Webtext would be charging subscribers for the text service from next season on from what I can gather. People might be a bit more inclined to start paying for a service that is kept up to date and offers genuinely useful information. They won't for what's been ingrained in their minds as a miserable and virtually useless 3 text a week service. This service is in real danger of dying on it's arse now IMO.

Fivesilver
13/05/2008, 12:20 PM
People might be a bit more inclined to start paying for a service that is kept up to date and offers genuinely useful information. They won't for what's been ingrained in their minds as a miserable and virtually useless 3 text a week service.

Spot-on. I'd gladly hand over a few quid a month for the service we were getting up until a couple of weeks back.