PDA

View Full Version : Hugh Davey

pineapple stu
25/07/2003, 12:41 PM
Was wondering why he missed the Shels game - turns out he was playing for Northern Ireland U-20s against Brazil in the Milk Cup!

He's back for tonight though.

Schumi
25/07/2003, 3:47 PM
Thank god for that, I thought Doolo might have decided that Darrgah Ryan was going to be first choice instead. :eek:

pineapple stu
26/07/2003, 3:13 PM
To follow up on the Milk Cup -

The North were in a group with Brazil, Wales and Denmark. They were playing their U-19 side, although they were called "Northern Ireland U-20". Hugh played against Brazil anyway, and they lost 1-0 in Windsor Park to a late goal. They lost 1-0 to Denmark but beat Wales.

Was talking to some kids behind the goal at half-time yesterday and they were slagging Hugh because he'd been their coach during the Soccer Camp. I told them that he'd been playing against Brazil the previous week and they couldn't believe it! I then told them that Darragh Ryan, Hugh's replacement, had scored twice for Brighton (of Bobby Zamora fame) and that his dad had played for Ireland, that Aidan Lynch (who was also doing the Soccer Camp) was on the U-20s team which got to the semis of the World Cup in 1997 and that Pat Jennings' dad played in two World Cups. Don't think I've ever seen jaws drop quicker!:D