PDA

View Full Version : Sligo going part-time

Neil
08/06/2001, 11:46 AM
Sligo Rovers' failure to win promotion to the Premier Division last season has forced the club to revert to using part-time players.

Tommy Cassidy's side employed six full-time squad members during the last campaign, but they have already released Karl van der Velden and Ian Gilzean.

Cassidy will meet the rest of his players over the weekend and will discuss their positions at the club.

"I will be talking to them about resigning," confirmed Cassidy. "We have let go of two players so far and other players will be going."

Sligo missed out on promotion to the Premier Division on the final day of the recently completed season. The Bit O' Red required a victory against Home Farm Fingal and for other results to go their way, but a 4-1 defeat against the Dublin side, coupled with Monaghan United's victory in Limerick, ensured that Sligo would spend another season in the First Division.

The Rovers manager will not be making any major signings this summer. "We have a very strict budget this year," he said.

"It's going to be difficult, but, after years of paying out and getting nothing in return, the club has decided that it cannot afford to spend on players.

"It's not an ideal situation for me, but it's necessary. Every manager wants to win games, but I understand why the club has taken this action."

Cassidy will continue his policy of promoting young local players into the senior side. Sligo used with seven players under the age of 21 in their final match, including talented youngster, Rafael Cretaro.

Cassidy knows he will have to unearth some gems in time for the new campaign, if his side are to make another push for promotion.

EddieL
08/06/2001, 2:56 PM
Sorry to hear about Sligo Rovers' current problems,I have a soft spot for them as my in-laws live in the town.The locals have always rallied round them in times of trouble and I hope they do so again,we need the Bit o' red to ensure an even spread in Irish football.I understand their new stand project(which looks impressive in photos)has been stalled due to lack of funds,let's hope they get going on that again soon.Come on citizens of Sligo,get back out there in your thousands next season and support your local team!

gustavo
04/07/2001, 11:37 AM
we are a club in crisis really at the moment . its hard to see where the light at the end of the tunnel is going to be .2 of our most experienced defenders (sheridan and rossiter) are on the verge of joining newry town and padraig moran is in talks with various clubs at the moment .
this is from our yahoo club

This weekender writes Sligo Rovers have a player crisis on their hands.It confirms Rossiter and
Sherdian have been offered contracts but have not signed yet and ARE talking to other clubs.Moran
is also speaking with other clubs.
The problem stems from the cash problem at the showgrounds and chairman Michael Leydon has
told Cassidy that the budget for the next season will be extremely small.
The MC (all 19 of them) met last night and will meet Cassidy on Friday to tell him what he has.
It also states that Cassidy would not reveal what will be discussed but may give an ultimatum and if
he is not happy may RESIGN(please)
Cassidys assistant has been monitoring the local talent and it seems players signed for the U-21's will
probably first teamers which Cassidy himself admits will be a struggle in the division.

pete
04/07/2001, 12:21 PM
Tommy Cassidy's side employed six full-time squad members during the last campaign, but they have already released Karl van der Velden and Ian Gilzean.

Thats more full-time players than most Premier clubs had last year!

Can't see Gilzean being a loss anyway. Better to have quality part-time (e.g. Longford) players than has-been fulltimers.

BTW why did we get O'Grady (looks very promising so far) as opposed to him re-signed for ye?

gustavo
04/07/2001, 5:30 PM
well who would you rather play for:D

joe
04/07/2001, 6:47 PM
what - your local club or some amateur one a couple of hundred miles away?

gustavo
04/07/2001, 7:22 PM
one thats goin nowhere fast and hasnt a chance of doin anything next season with the biggest press box in europe!or one that (was ) in europe and could ? win the premier division!

gustavo
13/01/2006, 2:29 PM
good to see things have improved since then:)

Raheny Red
13/01/2006, 2:40 PM
4 and a half years ago god stuff Sherlock :D :p :D